PDA

View Full Version : Who deserve the blame for the choke job?

GiantsSwaGG
05-30-2016, 11:36 PM
For "supposedly the best player" too some, Durant came up real small.

Who deserve the blame?

Scoots
05-31-2016, 01:27 AM
The organization. Nobody there to hold the players accountable maybe.

nastynice
05-31-2016, 01:42 AM
The Warriors

:cheers:;)

DboneG
05-31-2016, 04:36 PM
There's plenty of blame to go around...

!. The coach. Billy Donovan was doing a superb job! Making adjustments, hack-a-Ezeli, hack-a-Bogut, exploiting Curry on defense. Curry couldn't guard anyone! Then, he went away from it! WHY? The Warriors started Iguodala...no adjustments from Donovan. He should have told Durant to post Igudala, take him down low. He had no answer for Klay Thompson's hot hand. Steve Adams was killing down low...Donovan should have went to him more. When the Warriors play small-ball, you punish them! COACH FUGGED UP!

2. Kevin Durant. Durant decided to play hero ball/Superman, in games 5 and 6. He was trying to win the game all by himself. Didn't work. He played much better in game 7(shot selection wise), but, too little to late. Durant has a monkey on his back.

3. Russell Westbrook. I read he made the most turnovers in a conference finals series in 30 years. SMH Only 3 TO's in game 7, but, he shot poorly.

4. Dion Waiters...this guy is supposed to come in the game and make shots...make plays. NOTHING!! GET RID OF THIS GUY!!!! Randy Foye...OKC just lost all confidence in this guy! So, OKC had no fire power other than RWB and Durant.

KnicksorBust
05-31-2016, 04:38 PM
Westbrook.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2016, 04:54 PM
considering it's a team sport, the whole team. In reality, they lost to a better team. But being up 3-1, they missed their chance. The Thunder have actually been poor down the stretch all year, and were in the playoffs. It cost them. Durant was not this all world player people pumped him up to be in the playoffs either. Westbrook was their MVP, and didn't have a great game 7. They couldn't stop the Warriors down the stretch in the last 2 games.

BKLYNpigeon
05-31-2016, 04:54 PM
nobody.

LA4life24/8
05-31-2016, 04:55 PM
The league ! The NBA is rigged :P haha

Stunner
05-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Russ terrible game 6 and 7 shooting games did them in really . He really went back to the old Westbrook after playing so well . With all the attention on KD Russ needed to be less reckless and he couldn't

GiantsSwaGG
05-31-2016, 05:14 PM
Westbrook deserves some blame but Durant KILLED them in the final 4 mins in game 6. I think Durant deserves the Melo treatment, great scorer but offers nothing else.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Russ terrible game 6 and 7 shooting games did them in really . He really went back to the old Westbrook after playing so well . With all the attention on KD Russ needed to be less reckless and he couldn't

to be fair, Durant was terrible down the stretch in most the series. The whole team was.

GiantsSwaGG
05-31-2016, 05:17 PM
to be fair, Durant was terrible down the stretch in most the series. The whole team was.

And imo Westbrook was more of the reason they even went up 3-1

Stunner
05-31-2016, 05:27 PM

I said with the attention on KD it was more of a reason for Russ to make less mistakes . That's why they got the 3-1 lead in the first place.

KD been un KD like the entire playoffs and they were still winning because of Russ .

Last two games of the series Russ made the most bone head plays of the two that done them out . If Russ played like game 1 Russ in the last two mins of game 6 they win the series

Tbh both KD had the same amount of equal good games this series , 3 each .

But Russ turnovers that lead to points hurt them more in close out games and him trying to one up Curry all the time

Stunner
05-31-2016, 05:28 PM
Westbrook deserves some blame but Durant KILLED them in the final 4 mins in game 6. I think Durant deserves the Melo treatment, great scorer but offers nothing else.

Russ had 4 turnovers in the final 3 mins , 3 of them were back to back to back that resulted in GS points

Stunner
05-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Russ negative 11 and 14

In the last two games of the series

Hawkeye15
05-31-2016, 05:37 PM
I said with the attention on KD it was more of a reason for Russ to make less mistakes . That's why they got the 3-1 lead in the first place.

KD been un KD like the entire playoffs and they were still winning because of Russ .

Last two games of the series Russ made the most bone head plays of the two that done them out . If Russ played like game 1 Russ in the last two mins of game 6 they win the series

Tbh both KD had the same amount of equal good games this series , 3 each .

But Russ turnovers that lead to points hurt them more in close out games and him trying to one up Curry all the time

KD simply didn't play well either. He missed some shots he normally makes, and turned the ball over at crucial moments. He also had a few possessions late in games where he got lost defensively.

He should get heat for his play.

Stunner
05-31-2016, 05:43 PM
KD simply didn't play well either. He missed some shots he normally makes, and turned the ball over at crucial moments. He also had a few possessions late in games where he got lost defensively.

He should get heat for his play.

I didn't discredit him from his play , Durant has had a bad playoffs I stated that . He's apart of the reason they lost but numbers don't lie Russ has the ball majority of the time and his decisions with the ball at key times in the close out games hurt the team more .

Like I said game 6 okc had 5-6 turnovers in the last 3 mins of the game that resulted to 10 GS points . Russ had 1 turnover the entire game till that point and ended with 5 . Both KD and Russ missed 38 shots combined

Last game of the series KD showed up , Russ didn't

Hawkeye15
05-31-2016, 05:58 PM
I didn't discredit him from his play , Durant has had a bad playoffs I stated that . He's apart of the reason they lost but numbers don't lie Russ has the ball majority of the time and his decisions with the ball at key times in the close out games hurt the team more .

Like I said game 6 okc had 5-6 turnovers in the last 3 mins of the game that resulted to 10 GS points . Russ had 1 turnover the entire game till that point and ended with 5 . Both KD and Russ missed 38 shots combined

Last game of the series KD showed up , Russ didn't

Westbrook is literally the hardest player to figure out. He can be both awesome and terrible in a single possession.

KD gets blame. When we need to continue to read about how he is on Curry/Bron level, and he has this playoff run, he needs to be called out. I am not in the camp that puts Westbrook at the elite of the elite, no matter his numbers.

ghettosean
05-31-2016, 06:05 PM
The Warriors

:cheers:;)

Exactly what I was going to say.

Bostonjorge
05-31-2016, 06:20 PM
Same thing all year. Okc can't close out games for some reason. Other then that Westbrook and Durant played great basketball. I still take Okc in a rematch.

mngopher35
05-31-2016, 06:24 PM
I think Westbrook was better than KD this series overall but game 6 ending was more on him with those turns. Durant had less points than shots taken and as many assists as turns that game though so he was bad too. I mean Durant missed in game 5 to make it one possession with like 40 seconds left. He missed twice in a row last night when it could have been a 2 point game if he had made the shots (again like 40 secs left after that 2nd one). It wasn't Westbrook just hogging everything, they both were playing poorly.

To me the difference is that when OKC was winning it was more due to Westbrook than Durant so he is more of the reason they had a chance. He also was a bigger reason for the bigs being so efficient due to his driving and making the defense react (he needs more attention than Durant it seemed). Westbrook had a more efficient and higher volume series than Durant and if anything was the first option. I agree Durant did play better that game 7 but that doesn't erase his poor play from previous and he did get/miss the last chances they really had in that game.

This doesn't mean all the blame needs to go on one guy though, both should have stepped up more. Also Waiters really sucks too but that was more known going in. They also were playing the best team in the league. So I think Durant should get the most blame if you will but it basically never comes down to just one player, this is a team sport.

Stunner
05-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Russ actuality shot worse than KD this year in the playoffs

AIRMAR72
05-31-2016, 06:49 PM
For "supposedly the best player" too some, Durant came up real small.

Who deserve the blame?
Kevin Durant and hustling Westbrick(Russell Westbrook)

GiantsSwaGG
05-31-2016, 07:10 PM
Russ had 4 turnovers in the final 3 mins , 3 of them were back to back to back that resulted in GS points

Durant shot selection was atrocious, shooting on triple team, air balling 3's and one hitting the backboard and not even close to the basket. Imo he was more to blame, Westbrook imo was the reason they won 3 games!

Stunner
05-31-2016, 07:25 PM
Like I said both had 3 good games a piece this series and both had poor 3 games .

mngopher35
05-31-2016, 07:30 PM

His overall offensive efficiency was better though. I would almost never expect Westy to match KD's shooting but usually Durant is overall more efficient on offense as well (I think it was like 112 ortg for westy 107 for KD this year though).

GiantsSwaGG
05-31-2016, 07:31 PM
Durant needs his own team and same with Westbrook. They're iso players that need the ball in their hands. They're not smart enough to figure when to defer, it's hard enough that they don't run an offense and the players around them are offensively limited. Westbrook similar to harden needs his own team where he's the clear cut #1 options. Needs shooters around him also!

zn23
05-31-2016, 07:53 PM
Kevin Durant 100%.

Durant's numbers plummeted during the playoffs.

PER dropped from 28 to 20. His WS/48 dropped, his shooting percentage dropped.

Russell Westbrook at least maintained his regular season form in the playoffs. Kevin Durant did not.

If he actually showed up they would have been in the Finals right now. Westbrook was the one who ended up carrying them.

Chronz
05-31-2016, 08:06 PM
So its less of a choke if they lose in 5 right

D-Leethal
05-31-2016, 08:29 PM
So its less of a choke if they lose in 5 right

Choking usually implies you had a major advantage and let it slip away bruh. If they lose in 5 we would just say they got their ***** whooped.

Dade County
05-31-2016, 09:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMlLWLwolJY

Sam Presti

AntiG
05-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Green, and the rest of the team...

aussie
05-31-2016, 09:19 PM
Westbrook and his 4 TOs and terrible shots at the end of game 6

Chronz
05-31-2016, 09:30 PM
Choking usually implies you had a major advantage and let it slip away bruh. If they lose in 5 we would just say they got their ***** whooped.
So its a compliment?

FlashBolt
05-31-2016, 09:32 PM
Sorry but Westbrook and KD did choke... Clippers had an advantage and choked. Up 3-1, we have an advantage and we choked. End of story. It was worse than the Clippers chokejob because we completely destroyed the Warriors and all of a sudden, in the final minutes, we forget how to play basketball.

JasonJohnHorn
05-31-2016, 09:41 PM
Some might say Westy.... but hey.. you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

But I'd say it was the guy who fired Brooks.

JasonJohnHorn
05-31-2016, 10:47 PM
I don't think this was a choke. I think this was a dragon waking up.

mavwar53
05-31-2016, 11:20 PM
Iguadala

Captain Moroni
05-31-2016, 11:52 PM
Same thing all year. Okc can't close out games for some reason. Other then that Westbrook and Durant played great basketball. I still take Okc in a rematch.

Why put yourself through that again? Let it go.

nastynice
06-01-2016, 12:01 AM
I don't think this was a choke. I think this was a dragon waking up.

That's what I think. Everyone is just looking at all of KD and westy misses and saying oh they just missed shots, but they missed them because we absolutely amped up our defense on them the last 3 games, our defense caused those shooting numbers. And game 6, none of those to's in he final couple min were unforced, we created all of them (Altho one was a straight up missed foul call, lol)

kobe4thewinbang
06-01-2016, 12:19 AM
-The coach

Steven Adams was drawing fouls, banging down low, coming off P&Rs, being a presence. Then all of a sudden, Dion freaking Waitors is on the floor instead, brick after brick. No real plays for Westbrook to dominate toward the rim, no real plays for Durant to shoot within 15ft of the basket. Just bad coaching, failing to light a fire under the players' *** to increase the lead or get back into the game.

-Westbrook

Bad shooting night, no aggression shown. This guy is walking up the court as the Warriors chip away at the lead and take the lead, and yet HE IS STILL WALKING UP THE COURT. Push the Warriors, get them on edge, damn! Then he is just as nonchalant on the defensive side. Crazy that he was so tame, after his dominance over Curry early in the series.

-Durant

Non-force in game 7, too many contested jumpers, sloppy ballhandling, not knowing how to post up like Dirk other than a nice post fadeaway *once* in Game 7.

-Ibaka

For missing open shots and for fouling Curry on a 3 when your team is only down by 4 with almost 2 minutes left. Just a horrible foul.

-The referees

Not calling those damn moving screens by Draymond Green and letting him play after nut-kicking Adams.

42-15-7
06-01-2016, 12:25 AM
-The coach

Steven Adams was drawing fouls, banging down low, coming off P&Rs, being a presence. Then all of a sudden, Dion freaking Waitors is on the floor instead, brick after brick. No real plays for Westbrook to dominate toward the rim, no real plays for Durant to shoot within 15ft of the basket. Just bad coaching, failing to light a fire under the players' *** to increase the lead or get back into the game.

-Westbrook

Bad shooting night, no aggression shown. This guy is walking up the court as the Warriors chip away at the lead and take the lead, and yet HE IS STILL WALKING UP THE COURT. Push the Warriors, get them on edge, damn! Then he is just as nonchalant on the defensive side. Crazy that he was so tame, after his dominance over Curry early in the series.

-Durant

Non-force in game 7, too many contested jumpers, sloppy ballhandling, not knowing how to post up like Dirk other than a nice post fadeaway *once* in Game 7.

-Ibaka

For missing open shots and for fouling Curry on a 3 when your team is only down by 4 with almost 2 minutes left. Just a horrible foul.

-The referees

Not calling those damn moving screens by Draymond Green and letting him play after nut-kicking Adams.

Your point about Adams is spot on, and ties together with the failings of Durant and Westbrook.

In the first four games, Adams was KILLING the Warriors. On offense and defense, GS had no answer for his size, speed, quickness and his ability to one-hand the ball.

So what did OKC do in the next three games? They went away from Adams, and it killed them. If I could have one young center in the league today it would be Adams no question. But you have to keep him involved, not just expect him to clean up other player's trash.

kobe4thewinbang
06-01-2016, 12:46 AM
Your point about Adams is spot on, and ties together with the failings of Durant and Westbrook.

In the first four games, Adams was KILLING the Warriors. On offense and defense, GS had no answer for his size, speed, quickness and his ability to one-hand the ball.

So what did OKC do in the next three games? They went away from Adams, and it killed them. If I could have one young center in the league today it would be Adams no question. But you have to keep him involved, not just expect him to clean up other player's trash.Yup, and if Donovan wants a shooter out there, why not Morrow or Foye? Waitors has been horrible since he got there from what I've heard.

Chronz
06-01-2016, 01:11 AM
Sorry but Westbrook and KD did choke... Clippers had an advantage and choked. Up 3-1, we have an advantage and we choked. End of story. It was worse than the Clippers chokejob because we completely destroyed the Warriors and all of a sudden, in the final minutes, we forget how to play basketball.
Both teams overachieved. If only we could all choke when we lose.

lol, please
06-01-2016, 01:28 AM
Both teams overachieved. If only we could all choke when we lose.
I think it's somewhere in the middle.

You make good points though.

You are right. Saying a team choked because they lost a series is a lazy excuse.

sent from my Note 5 on Tapatalk

Chronz
06-01-2016, 01:45 AM
I think it's somewhere in the middle.

You make good points though.

You are right. Saying a team choked because they lost a series is a lazy excuse.

Maybe. Is that middle ground that you would laud a team more if They won even less games in a series?
I don't know why the sequence of wins and losses matter in a series either. Most 3-1 series that end in quick succession do so because the teams involved aren't in the same stratosphere. Choking to me is when you don't even perform well enough to compete in a gm or series.

people find it hard to believe the Thunder would lose 3 straight when They just finished a streak of winning like 7 out 9 games vs the spurs and warriors. Regardless of how it ended, they had a great year. The only fix they need is with defensive intensity from rwb.

Meth
06-01-2016, 02:04 AM
I thought Billy Donovan absolutely took advantage of the lack of fouls called in the paint. Playing Phil Jackson style tall ball worked and it showed in the Spurs series and the most of the games against the Warriors. I thought games 6 and 7 was when the refs started calling more fouls on drives and rebounds. Officiating has been consistently suspect and there's no excuse either way for either team.

As for this thread, that whole team deserves the blame for not closing out. Sure, they overachieved and put themselves in the position to close out the series when up 3-1. They absolutely had the chance to do so in game 6. There's no mistake that this team has had trouble closing out games in the regular season this year. I think much of the blame goes to Scott Brooks for letting Westbrook and Durant free lance and iso on offense for much of their career... it definitely carried over.

lol, please
06-01-2016, 02:30 AM
Maybe. Is that middle ground that you would laud a team more if They won even less games in a series?
I don't know why the sequence of wins and losses matter in a series either. Most 3-1 series that end in quick succession do so because the teams involved aren't in the same stratosphere. Choking to me is when you don't even perform well enough to compete in a gm or series.

people find it hard to believe the Thunder would lose 3 straight when They just finished a streak of winning like 7 out 9 games vs the spurs and warriors. Regardless of how it ended, they had a great year. The only fix they need is with defensive intensity from rwb.
To me it doesn't matter if you sweep a team or win in 7.

I think the order can mean something, I think it says something about a teams resiliency, mindset, confidence, and production in clutch situations if you come back from being down 3-0 or something. But I disagree with criticizing a team for taking so many games to win a series. Even the best teams can lose games. As they say in football, "any given Sunday".

You have to respect an opponent also. All that bickering over who deserved to be here, who didn't play who, who is in a weak division or conference - you either make the playoffs or you don't. Period. And from there, you write your own history.

And it's about results. The path there isn't that important when it's all said and done. You either won, or you didn't. Context also matters. A team like the Raptors, you have to call that a successful season, and it's something to build upon. Only for the most elite teams, not only at the end of the season but projected from the beginning of the season can really warrant a "championship or bust" attitude from players and fans. Your expectations must be realistic.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-01-2016, 10:30 AM
In the NBA, usually the best team finds a way to win a 7 game series. This has been no different so far this year. Only exception was OKC vs SA where we saw a legit upset, but we all know OKC has enough pure talent to beat anyone so it's not that crazy. Portland only beat LAC because of injuries. It is not at all like other sports where the playoffs are a crapshoot. For some reason, a 7 game series in the NBA almost always determines who the better team is.

mrblisterdundee
06-01-2016, 10:40 AM
The whole team is to blame for not shooting well. Andre Roberson was their most accurate three-point threat. That should immediately spell trouble.

Hawkeye15
06-01-2016, 11:43 AM

absolutely not.

D-Leethal
06-01-2016, 06:36 PM
They are two different animals. Getting outplayed and blown out by a better team is bad obviously but choking away a 3-1 series lead is a black eye in it's own right. This is a series they should have won, they had an advantage that less than 10% of teams in NBA history weren't able to close with.

Sometimes if you leave the bar without coming close to getting any ***** and you chalk it up as an L and move on but that night you had a freakin' 10/10 dime piece in your back pocket and threw up a 3am shot of tequila on her after she says "let's go back to your place" is the one that will sting you for years to come. It becomes "the one that got away".

Sometimes it's tough to hit the game winner with guys draped all over you but when you break free from the pack and miss a wide open freakin' layup that can be even worse and certainly more embarrassing.

D-Leethal
06-01-2016, 06:39 PM
There is getting outclassed start to finish, and then there is choking. Thunder choked. It was a missed opportunity they will never forget. I don't think the 2014 WCF is going to stick in their memories and sting quite like this one. That's because they had victory at their fingertips and couldn't close the deal.