PDA

View Full Version : Importance of the Finals MVP for Curry

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2016, 12:24 AM
Game seven has yet to be played, and the finals haven't even started, so this is extremely premature, but how important is the Finals MVP to Curry's reputation?

Magic twice saw a teammate win the award, Bird did once, and Thomas only got one of two potential awards. Between 91 and 2003, only four players won the award, and there seems to be a new standard that unless you play the best for you team in the series that they win, no matter how good you are, your legacy is tarnished. It is the kind of sentiment that has led so many to question Kobe's success (which should frankly be unquestionable).

Duncan seem immune it it (he, like Magic, won 3/5 awards).

But what about Curry? He is a team player, and with him recovering from injury and getting his rhythm back, and with teams focused on him defensively, he seems willing to defer to guys like Klay, and if Klay keeps up his current level of play in the finals (if GSW gets there), he may very well be the Finals MVP. That would make two years where the Warriors won and Curry didn't get the Finals MVP.

For me... this just shows that he is dedicated to winning. If there is a defensive match-up where another player is better guarding the point guard, he will defer and won't let his ego get in the way. If he is being double teamed, or a zone defence of playing his side heavy, he won't force the shot; he'll like Green or Klay or Iggy take the shot. Whatever his team needs to win.

It is not unlikely that this team could win 3 or 4 titles in the next 6 or 7 years and that Curry might only come away with on Finals MVP award.

Does he need this award to ensure his legacy? Or will fan recognize that simply because another player excelled in a give match-up in a specific series, doesn't mean that Curry wasn't the best player on the team.

BKLYNpigeon
05-30-2016, 12:55 AM
that award isn't that important.

c.c.
05-30-2016, 01:06 AM
He should of won it last year

More-Than-Most
05-30-2016, 01:09 AM
He should of won it last year

No lebron should have

and as for the other post its 100 percent important because if you want to be the best player in the world you need to be the best player on the floor in the finals period.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 01:19 AM

I agree. The ONLY award in the NBA that is important is named Larry.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 01:21 AM
No lebron should have

and as for the other post its 100 percent important because if you want to be the best player in the world you need to be the best player on the floor in the finals period.

But Curry not needing the show to be about him makes him better not worse.

Monta is beast
05-30-2016, 01:40 AM
To me winning the title is more important than geting finals mvp. Everyone knows steph is the main reason we are who we are

europagnpilgrim
05-30-2016, 01:57 AM
Everything from the 6th man to rings are over blown/rated

even had Magic nor Duncan won any Finals mvp they still had reg. season mvp's and people who know the game well would already know who was the engine to the teams success, easily

What matters and very important is how that player can carry a sub par or contender team when the chips are down, impact/dominance for at least 10 years and culture influence on the game on and off the court(mostly on)

I remember ''come fly with me version Jordan unstoppable force'' more than I do his second 3peat championship run counting his Finals mvp's(Rodman/Pippen/Grant/Kukoc could have won 1 each and still wouldn't affect Jordan status/rank), and years prior because of the unstoppable force of nature he was, regardless if Celtics/Lakers/Sixers/Pistons hogged all the rings in the 80's, Jordan was the show from 84' rookie year to 93', most dominant show that is as a solo act, Bird called him God disguised as Jordan after sweeping him out the playoffs I think, but it was for sure said by Bird, fact

lol, please
05-30-2016, 02:02 AM
Game seven has yet to be played, and the finals haven't even started, so this is extremely premature, but how important is the Finals MVP to Curry's reputation?

Magic twice saw a teammate win the award, Bird did once, and Thomas only got one of two potential awards. Between 91 and 2003, only four players won the award, and there seems to be a new standard that unless you play the best for you team in the series that they win, no matter how good you are, your legacy is tarnished. It is the kind of sentiment that has led so many to question Kobe's success (which should frankly be unquestionable).

But what about Curry? He is a team player, and with him recovering from injury and getting his rhythm back, and with teams focused on him defensively, he seems willing to defer to guys like Klay, and if Klay keeps up his current level of play in the finals (if GSW gets there), he may very well be the Finals MVP. That would make two years where the Warriors won and Curry didn't get the Finals MVP.

For me... this just shows that he is dedicated to winning. If there is a defensive match-up where another player is better guarding the point guard, he will defer and won't let his ego get in the way. If he is being double teamed, or a zone defence of playing his side heavy, he won't force the shot; he'll like Green or Klay or Iggy take the shot. Whatever his team needs to win.

It is not unlikely that this team could win 3 or 4 titles in the next 6 or 7 years and that Curry might only come away with on Finals MVP award.

Does he need this award to ensure his legacy? Or will fan recognize that simply because another player excelled in a give match-up in a specific series, doesn't mean that Curry wasn't the best player on the team.
Good post. I agree that Curry cares about winning more than personal stats, and that can't go ignored. If Klay wins the FMVP so what? It just speaks to the unselfishness of the team and the willingness to win.

Can't knock Curry for other teammates stepping up.

sent from my Note 5 on Tapatalk

HandsOnTheWheel
05-30-2016, 03:18 AM
I agree. The ONLY award in the NBA that is important is named Larry.

But Curry not needing the show to be about him makes him better not worse.
I assume your being sarcastic?

nastynice
05-30-2016, 04:05 AM
No lebron should have

Haha, what? How was lebron "valuable"? I coulda played sf for Cleveland in last year's finals and the result woulda been the same. Cavs lose. Where's the value if I literally could have taken Lebron's spot and end up with the same result?

Saddletramp
05-30-2016, 04:21 AM
Haha, what? How was lebron "valuable"? I coulda played sf for Cleveland in last year's finals and the result woulda been the same. Cavs lose. Where's the value if I literally could have taken Lebron's spot and end up with the same result?

You could have led Delly and Mozgov and a blind JR Smith to two wins against the Warriors last year?

C'mon, man. You've been pretty awful lately.

nastynice
05-30-2016, 04:28 AM
You could have led Delly and Mozgov and a blind JR Smith to two wins against the Warriors last year?

C'mon, man. You've been pretty awful lately.

First off, I wouldn't have "lead" anyone. Second, yes, if I took Lebron's place, we woulda had the same result. Cle loses.

Lebron's a stud, I'm just making a point. Point being the fmvp should never ever come from the losing team. The finals winner gets the trophy, loser goes home empty handed. There is no "value" to reward if ur going home empty handed.

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2016, 07:05 AM

They would have won 2 games with you at SF and not been swept and blown out every game? Would you have led both teams in scoring, rebounding, and assists as well?

For the record, CLE losing in 4 and getting blown out each game and CLE losing in 6 games and being a ball bounce or questionable call the other way away from a game 7 is NOT the same result. Just ask your bookie.

nastynice
05-30-2016, 08:12 AM
They would have won 2 games with you at SF and not been swept and blown out every game? Would you have led both teams in scoring, rebounding, and assists as well?

For the record, CLE losing in 4 and getting blown out each game and CLE losing in 6 games and being a ball bounce or questionable call the other way away from a game 7 is NOT the same result. Just ask your bookie.

Oh my bad, what trophy do you get for losing 6 that you don't get if you get swept?

Mell413
05-30-2016, 08:28 AM
You can still be the best player on the court and your team can lose. If you replace Lebron with an above average player that team likely gets swept. Lebron was the reason the series was as close as it was. Yes they ended up losing regardless but it wasn't because of him. I think there is a case for a losing player to get the award, but it would be awkward.
As far as Steph goes I don't think he needs the award. He does need to play well though, which goes without saying.

PhillyFaninLA
05-30-2016, 10:19 AM
over/under 53 Curry topics made today

over/under 17 comparison

over/under 23 legacy related

ghettosean
05-30-2016, 11:10 AM

This

lol, please
05-30-2016, 01:04 PM
You can still be the best player on the court and your team can lose. If you replace Lebron with an above average player that team likely gets swept. Lebron was the reason the series was as close as it was. Yes they ended up losing regardless but it wasn't because of him. I think there is a case for a losing player to get the award, but it would be awkward.
As far as Steph goes I don't think he needs the award. He does need to play well though, which goes without saying.

The award is for most valuable, not best on the floor. The value is the desired result (victory). Anything else is just stat padding.

SportsFanatic10
05-30-2016, 01:17 PM

Such a poor way to look at it. Your stance suggests that basketball is played 1 on 1 and not a team sport. A team can have the best player in the series who contributes the most value on the court but still lose, smh wow lol.

CHANGO
05-30-2016, 04:02 PM
For most fans it's important. Forget about the titles are everything blah blah blah. If Lebron ever won a ring with Wade being the Finals MVP, we wouldn't ever stop hearing the Lebron isn't the best because Wade won a ring for him. You know it, next poster know it and I know it.

If the Warriors win another ring with Klay being the Finals MVP instead of Curry I expect lot of fans talking about Curry shrinking in the big moments and Klay winning the chip for him, etc...

CHANGO
05-30-2016, 04:03 PM
The award is for most valuable, not best on the floor. The value is the desired result (victory). Anything else is just stat padding.

LMFAO yeah, cuz Iggy was more valuable to the Warriors than Lebron was to the Shump, Delly, JR Cavs... Right?

GTFOH troll, please.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 04:11 PM
LMFAO yeah, cuz Iggy was more valuable to the Warriors than Lebron was to the Shump, Delly, JR Cavs... Right?

GTFOH troll, please.

I think his point was that the highest value is found in winning, so that no player from the losing team could possibly have the most value.

Sportsguy9695
05-30-2016, 04:17 PM

I dont think he needs this award to ensure his legacy but it will sure help.

CHANGO
05-30-2016, 04:17 PM
I think his point was that the highest value is found in winning, so that no player from the losing team could possibly have the most value.

That has no logic, if the trophy is for the most valuable player on the Finals we should give it to the most valuable player even if they lost. Sometimes the best player just doesn't have the best team.

Last year's Finals was the perfect example, Lebron outplayed the other 9 guys on the floor and he deserved the FMVP even when his team wasn't good enough to win 2 more games.

Sportsguy9695
05-30-2016, 04:19 PM
That has no logic, if the trophy is for the most valuable player on the Finals we should give it to the most valuable player even if they lost. Sometimes the best player just doesn't have the best team.

Last year's Finals was the perfect example, Lebron outplayed the other 9 guys on the floor and he deserved the FMVP even when his team wasn't good enough to win 2 more games.
i agree. sometimes the most valurable player is on the losing team. you see this happen all the time

Scoots
05-30-2016, 04:39 PM
i agree. sometimes the most valurable player is on the losing team. you see this happen all the time

So, in the history of major US sports how many players from losing teams have won the MVP for the title game/series since "you see this happen all the time"? I'll answer that for you ... in MLB, NFL, and NBA it happened once each and all of them over 40 years ago. It's happened 5 times in the NHL and only once in the last 40 years. You must be pretty old to have seen it happen at all in the NBA, let alone "all the time".

Jordan was complimented for his performance putting up 63 against the Celtics in what many people called the greatest game ever played and he blew his top. He said it doesn't mean **** without the win. It was one of the few games of his he refused to watch or comment on. So, how much did his value to the Bulls matter to him? None at all since they lost the game.

How many Win Shares do you get for a loss?

I, and apparently most of the voting journalists in US sports history believe the MVP should win.

Saddletramp
05-30-2016, 05:51 PM
LeBron was definitely the most valuable player last year but yeah, they're not giving the MVP award to a guy on a losing team. It should be called the FinalsMostValuablePlayerForTheWinningTeam.

The Warriors could've won in 4 OT only after Lebron fouled out in 4 games and he could have crushed the Warriors single handily in 3 other games and he could've set records and had d leaguers that he carried and no GS player could've played well but they still wouldn't give it to a guy on the losing team. Take away Iggy from the Warriors (or any GS player, for that matter) and they still would've won. Take away Lebron but add Kyrie and Love, it would have been 4 20 point blowouts. As it was, none of those three players playing woulda resulted in 4 40 point blow outs.

giantspwn
05-30-2016, 06:37 PM
No lebron should have

Yes, lets give the award to a losing teams player who shot 39% and couldn't score on a Warriors bench player in crucial moments.

Lebron put up some good rebounding and assist numbers even considering the massive amount of minutes he played. Also, considering all the garbage points he scored in that series.

Curry was double teamed the whole series and didn't need to put up gawdy numbers when guys like Barnes and Iguadola were unabated to the rim. Curry was valuable enough on the winning team to deserve the award.

How many points would Curry score if he shot the ball 35 times a game?

More-Than-Most
05-30-2016, 06:55 PM
For most fans it's important. Forget about the titles are everything blah blah blah. If Lebron ever won a ring with Wade being the Finals MVP, we wouldn't ever stop hearing the Lebron isn't the best because Wade won a ring for him. You know it, next poster know it and I know it.

If the Warriors win another ring with Klay being the Finals MVP instead of Curry I expect lot of fans talking about Curry shrinking in the big moments and Klay winning the chip for him, etc...

And this is my point 1000000000000 Percent and why I am getting tired of certain posters... These same posters would obliterate Lebron if he had won a ring and not be the MVP but curry winning last year and not even being the 2nd most valuable player on the floor is all of a sudden irrelevant.... Rings matter but being the most valuable on the floor for that ring means nothing :rolleyes:

More-Than-Most
05-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Yes, lets give the award to a losing teams player who shot 39% and couldn't score on a Warriors bench player in crucial moments.

Lebron put up some good rebounding and assist numbers even considering the massive amount of minutes he played. Also, considering all the garbage points he scored in that series.

Curry was double teamed the whole series and didn't need to put up gawdy numbers when guys like Barnes and Iguadola were unabated to the rim. Curry was valuable enough on the winning team to deserve the award.

How many points would Curry score if he shot the ball 35 times a game?

Curry was not doubled the entire series... the first 2 games he was shut down by delly lol... Lebron was doubled the entire series but please continue with this nonsense because youre making my point for me on how its different for a guy like curry who has his dick sucked the last 2 years by almost everybody.

Lebron played damn near very minute of every game BECAUSE HE HAD TO- VALUE
Lebron was the leading scorer/rebounder/assists- Value
Lebron Had trash around him against one of the best teams ever and went up 2-1

If curry had trash around him and had the ball damn near every second of every game we might see one of the worst performances ever in all honesty because THAT IS NOT HIS STRENGTHS. Again that is Lebrons value... Curry is amazing but he needs good-great talent around him where Lebron can do amazing with whatever he has and has proved it time and time again.

More-Than-Most
05-30-2016, 07:06 PM
So, in the history of major US sports how many players from losing teams have won the MVP for the title game/series since "you see this happen all the time"? I'll answer that for you ... in MLB, NFL, and NBA it happened once each and all of them over 40 years ago. It's happened 5 times in the NHL and only once in the last 40 years. You must be pretty old to have seen it happen at all in the NBA, let alone "all the time".

Jordan was complimented for his performance putting up 63 against the Celtics in what many people called the greatest game ever played and he blew his top. He said it doesn't mean **** without the win. It was one of the few games of his he refused to watch or comment on. So, how much did his value to the Bulls matter to him? None at all since they lost the game.

I, and apparently most of the voting journalists in US sports history believe the MVP should win.

Yea and that is starting to change considering the backlash it got last year when everyone and their mother knew lebron was the MVP... As people when it comes to sports and value we are smartening up and not remaining ignorant fossils... Within the next 10 years a losing player will win MVP

If we are going by this same old logic the MVP should just go to the MVP of the team with the most wins every year in the regular season and to hell with their statistical out put correct? Even if the spurs this year finished 1 game ahead of the warriors and had the record Kwahi or LA should be MVP even though they probably werent in the top 5 most valuable players correct? We should re name the award the MVPOTBT most valuable player on the best Team.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 08:25 PM
And this is my point 1000000000000 Percent and why I am getting tired of certain posters... These same posters would obliterate Lebron if he had won a ring and not be the MVP but curry winning last year and not even being the 2nd most valuable player on the floor is all of a sudden irrelevant.... Rings matter but being the most valuable on the floor for that ring means nothing :rolleyes:

But that's really about LeBron hate more than anything else. LeBron fosters hate in people so he loses in these BS fan discussions. That doesn't make it reality for any other player ever.

CHANGO
05-30-2016, 08:28 PM

I think he meant that the "Lebron case" happens all the time.

And of course Jordan is going to say that, I'm 100% that Lebron would be feeling the same way if he won the FMVP last year. They prefer the chip over the MVP.

CHANGO
05-30-2016, 08:30 PM

If Curry wants to be among the GOAT basketball talk, he better start winning the FMVP awards, because 3 rings or more with 1 or 0 FMVP award would look bad.

But hey, when Lebron is the one to judge the criteria changes, if it's Curry he will get a pass.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Yea and that is starting to change considering the backlash it got last year when everyone and their mother knew lebron was the MVP... As people when it comes to sports and value we are smartening up and not remaining ignorant fossils... Within the next 10 years a losing player will win MVP

If we are going by this same old logic the MVP should just go to the MVP of the team with the most wins every year in the regular season and to hell with their statistical out put correct? Even if the spurs this year finished 1 game ahead of the warriors and had the record Kwahi or LA should be MVP even though they probably werent in the top 5 most valuable players correct? We should re name the award the MVPOTBT most valuable player on the best Team.

Why when "everyone and their mother knew LeBron was the MVP" was there a healthy debate here, and in the press about it? And why didn't he win? Is it some great conspiracy?

As for the regular season MVP ... has it ever gone to a team that doesn't finish with one of the best records in their conference?

I was a big supporter of the amazing job LeBron did in last year's finals ... he singlehandedly derailed the Warriors offense for 3 games which is amazing. But I think the MVP should go not to the player who played the best but had the biggest impact on the outcome, and that was Iguodala or Curry.

I think I'm one of the more reasonable and even-handed posters here so I'm not talking as a Warriors homer nor as a LeBron hater.

CHANGO
05-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Why when "everyone and their mother knew LeBron was the MVP" was there a healthy debate here, and in the press about it? And why didn't he win? Is it some great conspiracy?

As for the regular season MVP ... has it ever gone to a team that doesn't finish with one of the best records in their conference?

I was a big supporter of the amazing job LeBron did in last year's finals ... he singlehandedly derailed the Warriors offense for 3 games which is amazing. But I think the MVP should go not to the player who played the best but had the biggest impact on the outcome, and that was Iguodala or Curry.

I think I'm one of the more reasonable and even-handed posters here so I'm not talking as a Warriors homer nor as a LeBron hater.

Because as you say, the MVP goes to the player on the winning team. That doesn't mean it's right. Same with the MVP of the RS.

Lebron was more valuable than any other player on that Finals, he was playing with freaking Delly as the 2nd option, JR as the 3rd option, Shump as the 4th, Mozgov/Tristan as the 5th. I mean... C'mon. Those are easily bench role players on another team.

The game for Curry/Iggy was easier with Dray and Klay. Lebron didn't have that commodity because Love and Irving were injured.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 08:45 PM
I think he meant that the "Lebron case" happens all the time.

And of course Jordan is going to say that, I'm 100% that Lebron would be feeling the same way if he won the FMVP last year. They prefer the chip over the MVP.

Please explain further what you mean by the "LeBron case" ... you mean LeBron is not appreciated as much as he is all the time?

And this thread is about "Importance of the Finals MVP" ... it's about the importance of an award to a player, and my point was that Jordan made it VERY clear winning is the only thing that really matters. When he didn't win the MVP many years when people said he should have won it he generally didn't comment, just went out to try to win more and win more titles. So, do I think the finals MVP will be important to Curry? Nope.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 08:49 PM
If Curry wants to be among the GOAT basketball talk, he better start winning the FMVP awards, because 3 rings or more with 1 or 0 FMVP award would look bad.

But hey, when Lebron is the one to judge the criteria changes, if it's Curry he will get a pass.

Since such things are never decided and the players for the most part don't really think about it because they know they have no control over it, I doubt it has even occurred to Curry.

As for what criteria a bunch of slavish internet experts use ... it's always been a fluid set and it will always be fluid. I'm a Warriors fan, and I doubt I will ever feel the need to change my mind on MJ being the best ... but my Dad never wavered in his support of Wilt as the best. There is no conclusion and the players know it.

Part of what makes LeBron and Kobe have so many haters is that they were very aware of what people were saying about them and it MATTERED. I think that tends to turn people off. Jordan only really ever cared about winning, to the point that it was self-destructive at times for sure.

CHANGO
05-30-2016, 09:15 PM
Please explain further what you mean by the "LeBron case" ... you mean LeBron is not appreciated as much as he is all the time?

And this thread is about "Importance of the Finals MVP" ... it's about the importance of an award to a player, and my point was that Jordan made it VERY clear winning is the only thing that really matters. When he didn't win the MVP many years when people said he should have won it he generally didn't comment, just went out to try to win more and win more titles. So, do I think the finals MVP will be important to Curry? Nope.

"Lebron case" = being the best player on the Finals and still don't win the FMVP because his team lost. That's why he said "i agree. sometimes the most valurable player is on the losing team. you see this happen all the time". I haven't seen that happen all the time but I believe he meant that.

You are talking about the same Jordan who won 6 Titles and 6 Finals MVP, don't compare a FMVP to a regular season MVP.

If Jordan won 1 FMVP instead of 6 I'm sure lot of people would say Jordan wasn't that good because his teammate Pippen or Rodman or whoever the FMVP was outplayed him. Isn't that hard to understand. The motto is "the great players step up at the biggest moments" and I've heard that LOT OF TIMES WHEN the playoffs are on.

giantspwn
05-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Curry was not doubled the entire series... the first 2 games he was shut down by delly lol... Lebron was doubled the entire series but please continue with this nonsense because youre making my point for me on how its different for a guy like curry who has his dick sucked the last 2 years by almost everybody.

Lebron played damn near very minute of every game BECAUSE HE HAD TO- VALUE
Lebron was the leading scorer/rebounder/assists- Value
Lebron Had trash around him against one of the best teams ever and went up 2-1

If curry had trash around him and had the ball damn near every second of every game we might see one of the worst performances ever in all honesty because THAT IS NOT HIS STRENGTHS. Again that is Lebrons value... Curry is amazing but he needs good-great talent around him where Lebron can do amazing with whatever he has and has proved it time and time again.

Delly did a great job guarding him but Shumpert was there too double for the majority of the series. The Cavs weren't going to let Curry beat them. Jame's had iso much more often because your right, he still couldn't win the game alone.

I disagree. Curry could post just as good if not better numbers if he was on a bad team. He doesn't have the freedom Lebron has because it's not necessary. Curry doesn't need to shoot the ball 35 times. How much would he score if he was needed as the focal point?

Lebron was great in the Finals, I just don't think he scored well(efficiently) enough to be the mvp on the losing team.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-30-2016, 11:36 PM
It has plenty of importance for individual achievement and overall ranking when he retires. If he wins the title and he doesn't win FMVP, it would speak a lot to how deep his team has been compared to other teams and that will easily come into play when you are comparing certain players.

TheNumber37
05-30-2016, 11:42 PM
I think Klay Thompson will get it for offensively leading them in 3 of their 4 wins.