PDA

View Full Version : Is steph curry the best all around player in the nba?

LA_1
05-29-2016, 02:04 AM
I had to make a profile just to ask this question because I'm sick and tired of warrior homers.
Basically? Is steph curry the best all around player in the NBA? Yes he's the best shooter, but when it comes to other things such as defense, rebounding, assists, etc etc.

Is Westbrook a better all around guard than steph curry? Besides shooting we know curry has that?

Because these fans that I'm having a convo with also think curry is more of a all around player than Lebron James lol.

LA_1
05-29-2016, 02:08 AM
Now I'm not saying Westbrook is better than curry. I just think Lebron and Westbrook can do more than curry. In my opinion when steph' shot is off, he really becomes invisible.

But if Lebron or west brooks shots are off they still can contribute other ways.

More-Than-Most
05-29-2016, 02:15 AM
I am not sure he is even in the top 5 let alone the best... Hell he isnt even the best on his team... Lebron is def ahead of him... Then someone like Westy is def ahead of him... Durant is ahead of him.... Then you have guys like Kwahi/Clay/Draymond

LA_1
05-29-2016, 02:19 AM
I'm not hating or anything, he's a unbelievable shooter, but that's it! In my opinion. That's all I'm trying to prove, but they keep bringing up the fact that he was the unanimous mvp and best shooter ever as some type of rebuttal as to why he's the best all around player and they don't seem to understand what I'm saying lol. It's hilarious.

More-Than-Most
05-29-2016, 02:28 AM
His handles are good and he can pass but yes he is mostly a shooter.... that being said he is probably the GOAT shooter so it still makes the argument somewhat close because of how much he opens up things and how good he is when he drives and so on.

LA_1
05-29-2016, 02:29 AM
But he's still doesn't do more than LBJ.

More-Than-Most
05-29-2016, 02:33 AM
But he's still doesn't do more than LBJ.

Agreed... I dont think he does more than Lebron/Durant/Westy in all honesty.

prodigy
05-29-2016, 04:24 AM
Not even close... I assume this is a bait topic

jason
05-29-2016, 04:30 AM
Not even close... I assume this is a bait topic
Easily bait topic and then people hate on Curry cause of guys like this..

nastynice
05-29-2016, 04:58 AM
I'd say he's ONE of the best all around players. Offensively I don't that has to be discussed, outside of post game he's basically elite in every single category you can ask of a pg.

defensively, he's actually quite good. His biggest weakness is his physical size and strength, which in turn means being a 1 on 1 defender. But his defensive mental game more than makes up for it, he understands positioning, where help is, when to rotate, how to cut passing lanes, all IMO at an elite level. Thing is, all those things COMBINED maybe still don't carry as much weight as being a strict 1 on 1 defender. Def not elite, defensively IMO I would say he's very good, just below great.

So a strong defensive game plus an elite offensive game would make me think of him as an all arounder.

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Curry is a great all-around player and is certainly in the conversation. People saying otherwise obviously don't watch the game. I mean, the guy grabs over 5 boards a game, and dishes out nearly 7 assists, while leading the league in scoring and steals, posting the best shooting numbers in the league, and putting in a solid performance on defense every night.

That said, he wouldn't be my vote for the best all-around player.

Curry: 30/6.7/5.4/2
Draymond Green: 14/9/7/1.5/1.4 + All-defensive
KD: 28/8/5/1/1
Westy: 23/10/8/2
LBJ: 25/7.5/7/1.5 + elite defense
Paul George: 23/7/4/1.5 + elite defense
Butler: 20/5/5/1.5/ + elite defense

You look at that list.... those are the guys who are the best all-around players. Westy is closest to a triple-double, yes, but there is more than 3 categories to being all around.

First you have to be a great two-way player. For me, LBJ, Green, and George are miles ahead of Westy (though I do think Westy is a strong defender). That means that for half the game they are all superior to him because half the game is spent on the defensive end.

On the other side, it isn't just about how many point you have, but the range of ways in which you can score them. Watching LBJ and George, I'd say they have the widest range of weapons. Both can face the basket, create off the dribble, shoot long range (though LBJ didn't do that as well this season), post up. Pretty much any way to score, they can score. I don't think Westbrook has that range of scoring abilities.

He's got more assists and rebounds... and the rebounds are what is really impressive to me. With respect to the assists, I feel like he has an edge with KD on his team (as does Green having Curry and Klay among others). LBJ and George are strong passers, but their teams require them to create for themselves more than simply make plays for others.

At the end of the day, it depends on how much weight you put on defense, and how much weight you put on the range of scoring abilities. It also depends on how much weight you give to overall efficiency, ability to draw a foul, ability to lead, and PER. Does, for example, the fact that you are a good all-around player but have slightly less rebounds and assists than somebody else make you less effective all-around even if you are scoring 8 more points and doing so with far greater efficiency?

I think if you are just looking at per-game averages, there is a very strong case for Westy (obviously), but I'd be inclined to pick LBJ. I also wouldn't argue with anybody who picked George or Green because I put a lot of weight into defense.

This is a wide open debate in my mind.

R. Johnson#3
05-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Curry is the best shooter ever but Lebron is the best player in the NBA.

giantspwn
05-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Nope, just the best player. That title probably goes to Lebron.

Anyone who disagrees will have a hard time disproving his stats this year or have to come up with something new in terms of value.

nycericanguy
05-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Now I'm not saying Westbrook is better than curry. I just think Lebron and Westbrook can do more than curry. In my opinion when steph' shot is off, he really becomes invisible.

But if Lebron or west brooks shots are off they still can contribute other ways.

no way, he's been off a lot this series but just his presence and the attention he draws combined with ball handling ability gets teammates open shots.

Scoots
05-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Isn't this essentially the same as http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?909625-Let-s-Settle-This-Who-is-the-best-player-in-the-league-RIGHT-NOW!

Wade n Fade
05-29-2016, 10:29 AM
Hell no. Curry is not that great on D. Just because he has a high steals total doesn't make him the best all around player in the league. LeBron still is the best player in the league.

Bostonjorge
05-29-2016, 12:36 PM
The gap between Curry's offense game and James offense game is bigger then the gap between both there defenses. Curry is the greatest shooter of all time. James is not even top 5 shooter on his own team. In fact you can't even call James a shooter. Both are not elite defenders but James has the size and power advantage over Curry. Curry does something better than anyone ever. James does nothing the best.

Again how is James the best all around player in the game. You can't point to stats because Westbrook is automatic the best if you do. So you can go ahead and call Curry the best all around player if you can call James the best all around player.

Sadds The Gr8
05-29-2016, 12:45 PM
I dont even know what this means, but Curry has easily been the best player in the league the last year and a half.

FlashBolt
05-29-2016, 12:48 PM
The gap between Curry's offense game and James offense game is bigger then the gap between both there defenses. Curry is the greatest shooter of all time. James is not even top 5 shooter on his own team. In fact you can't even call James a shooter. Both are not elite defenders but James has the size and power advantage over Curry. Curry does something better than anyone ever. James does nothing the best.

Again how is James the best all around player in the game. You can't point to stats because Westbrook is automatic the best if you do. So you can go ahead and call Curry the best all around player if you can call James the best all around player.

Are you delusional? Curry isn't even a better all-around player than Draymond.. and you're telling me Curry is a better all-around player than the greatest all-around player in LeBron? Yeah, Curry can shoot.. but his passing is iffy. He either makes them or doesn't. His rebounding has more to do with them playing small ball all the time leaving those rebounds away from Draymond and into Curry and his teammates. His defense is just bad. Sorry, it is. OKC has made it a point to score on Curry every time it's Curry defending. Westbrook may put up the higher numbers but I don't think that translates to being a better all-around player. Westbrook makes many mistakes. LeBron is very calculated.

Jamiecballer
05-29-2016, 01:01 PM
no, no he is not. he is the leagues best scorer however.

Bostonjorge
05-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Are you delusional? Curry isn't even a better all-around player than Draymond.. and you're telling me Curry is a better all-around player than the greatest all-around player in LeBron? Yeah, Curry can shoot.. but his passing is iffy. He either makes them or doesn't. His rebounding has more to do with them playing small ball all the time leaving those rebounds away from Draymond and into Curry and his teammates. His defense is just bad. Sorry, it is. OKC has made it a point to score on Curry every time it's Curry defending. Westbrook may put up the higher numbers but I don't think that translates to being a better all-around player. Westbrook makes many mistakes. LeBron is very calculated.

I don't think Curry is a better all around player was saying both are not the best so wrong is wrong.

Westbrook against the best defense in GS with 2 C's and 1 shooter is still getting to the rim and dissing to his bigs in traffic. Finding open 3 point shooters is a lot easier. Yet Westbrook is the assist leader. James is the better rebounder but Westbrook is the more impressive rebounder. Both finish with power. Westbrook gets down the court faster and hits those passing lanes that lead to steals faster. Westbrook just covers more of the court and does it faster on both ends. The man to man defense goes to Westbrook but the help defense goes to James. Clutch scoring is Westbrook by a mile. Westbrook is the greatest triple double machine ever.

James use to be the best all around player when his head band was on his forehead. He's just older and lost a step or two.

CardinalRed24
05-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Offensively speaking, Curry is without question the best in the NBA. OVERALL, Lebron is the most well-rounded player in the NBA. Though I'm not sure for how much longer. And if it came down to one game, I'd also take Curry.
LBJ tho deserves credit for his incredible durability and consistency. He's also taken complete advantage of, for what the most part has been an injury free career. And you have to respect that. Whether you like him or not, you simply cannot deny his greatness.
The only thing that has ever really bothered me about Bron is the fact that he's played his entire career in the Eastern conf. And you can say whatever you want, but in my mind, he would have never gone to the West under any circumstance.
Now I'm not necessarily trying to say his team would or would not have been as successful, but come on, let's face it - The West is where the big boys play. And LBJ knows that. And hes been coasting all along the way. And each of these past 6 years , he has not really faced any real legitimate threats on the road to these finals appearances. With the exception to the Chicago Bulls.
The Bulls were absolutely on their way, but Rose's injuries crushed all their hopes and aspirations.
Now i'm not saying the teams he's faced are "weak" but nothing like what teams like The Spurs, Warriors , Clippers, etc. Have to deal with year in and year out.

So, yes, LBJ statistically, is the best overall player in the NBA. And i think he'll maintain this level for at least another 2 seasons assuming he stays healthy. but the gap from him to Curry is definitely closing IMO. And these finals will certainly shed some light on this discussion as well.

Kahwi Leonard, Kevin Durant & Russell Westbrook would finish out the top 5. With Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns and even Paul George rising up the ladder.

PhillyFaninLA
05-29-2016, 01:47 PM
I'm just curious what do the Warriors fans think of the 97 Curry topics that pop up every single day since Kobe has retired? Are you concerned about people will get sick of him or root for him less because of the 97 new daily Curry topics and Lebron comparisons?

Sadds The Gr8
05-29-2016, 01:52 PM
no, no he is not. he is the leagues best scorer however.

I think his gravity doubles his impact, as great a scorer as he is. Just had the greatest offensive season ever. I think he definitely has claim to be the best player.

jason
05-29-2016, 02:25 PM
I'm just curious what do the Warriors fans think of the 97 Curry topics that pop up every single day since Kobe has retired? Are you concerned about people will get sick of him or root for him less because of the 97 new daily Curry topics and Lebron comparisons?
Yea especially since a lot of the threads are pretty much as the last thread.. We should just have a official Curry thread and that's it..

Matrix3132
05-29-2016, 02:57 PM
He deserved to be 2 time mvp but he's not even the best all around player on his team

jerellh528
05-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Curry- best offensive player
Leonard- best defensive player
Lebron- most well rounded player
Durant- best overall player

TrueFan420
05-29-2016, 03:07 PM

Honest it's annoying as hell. I don't care what others think. It's annoying. Just like the 90 thousand threads about Kobe vs LBJ vs MJ were. Especially when every thread topic morphs into that debate.

Monta is beast
05-29-2016, 04:50 PM
Most well rounded player, no thats LeBron. Best player is Curry. His offense is on another level than every other player in the league, in scoring and efficiency. He's one of the best rebounding guards and is a good defender.

Monta is beast
05-29-2016, 04:53 PM
He deserved to be 2 time mvp but he's not even the best all around player on his team

I've watched every game this year, this is a pathetic statement.

jason
05-31-2016, 03:26 AM
This guy is a troll