PDA

View Full Version : Pelicans rookie Bryce Dejean-Jones dead at 23

bucketss
05-28-2016, 04:21 PM
terrible news. r.i.p
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/05/28/pelicans-rookie-bryce-dejean-jones-dead-at-23/

5ass
05-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Rip

ghettosean
05-28-2016, 05:01 PM
23 is too young for anyone to die... terrible news.

Soop
05-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Any word on why he was there kicking that guys door(s) down?

Crackadalic
05-28-2016, 05:07 PM
I need more details before I judge his actions but rip bro

lamzoka
05-28-2016, 05:38 PM
The story just doesn't make sense to me. Its one sided with no witness. Why would a NBA player who just signed a multi-million dollars contract be breaking into someone's house in the middle of the night? We need more details. If its true he made a mistake and paid the ultimate price. RIP

Vinny642
05-28-2016, 05:43 PM
They said he kicked the wrong apartment open, I think he was looking for an ex or something.

RIP to him, and Condolences to his fam.
He played pretty good for us.

Mr.B
05-28-2016, 05:50 PM
They said he kicked the wrong apartment open, I think he was looking for an ex or something.

RIP to him, and Condolences to his fam.
He played pretty good for us.

Yup, that's what Dallas news is reporting. He kicked the front door in. The resident was asleep and grabbed his gun as soon as he heard his door being kicked in. He yelled out to the intruder and when his bedroom door was kicked in he fired. Just kicked in the door to the wrong apartment unfortunately.

Six-8-TheWizard
05-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Just heard about this now. Crazy story. Dude was just breaking into the league too. RIP

Six-8-TheWizard
05-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Yup, that's what Dallas news is reporting. He kicked the front door in. The resident was asleep and grabbed his gun as soon as he heard his door being kicked in. He yelled out to the intruder and when his bedroom door was kicked in he fired. Just kicked in the door to the wrong apartment unfortunately.

This part might be the guy trying to make sure he's covered legally. Not sure I believe 100% that he called out but who knows. Regardless dude was probably terrified (who wouldn't be if someone kicked in the door to their apartment). At the same time if he still thought it was his girlfriend/exgirlfriend's apartment and heard a guy's voice yelling then he might have jumped to conclusions too

gaughan333
05-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Break into someone's home at 3am, especially in texas, you get shot. Can't say I feel bad about this. There are very few good things that result from someone kicking in doors at 3am

Six-8-TheWizard
05-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Break into someone's home at 3am, especially in texas, you get shot. Can't say I feel bad about this. There are very few good things that result from someone kicking in doors at 3am

I wouldn't be surprised if he was drunk or something considering the fact that he got the apartment wrong as well as the time of night. Sounds a lot more reasonable for a drunk person to kick down a door in the middle of the night to get in and go to sleep or whatever. Once he was in he could've still thought he was in his girl's apartment and the guy yelling out could've caught him off guard (or confused him if drunk)

blahblahyoutoo
05-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Any word on why he was there kicking that guys door(s) down?

i heard he was a part time math tutor and became concerned when his tutee wasn't answering the door, so out of concern for his tutee, he kicked the door down.

ewing
05-28-2016, 07:02 PM

sure you can.

gaughan333
05-28-2016, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was drunk or something considering the fact that he got the apartment wrong as well as the time of night. Sounds a lot more reasonable for a drunk person to kick down a door in the middle of the night to get in and go to sleep or whatever. Once he was in he could've still thought he was in his girl's apartment and the guy yelling out could've caught him off guard (or confused him if drunk)

Why would you be kicking down the doors of an estranged female friend?

ATX
05-28-2016, 08:51 PM
This story is too inconsistent with the info that is currently available. I can definitely buy that he might have been drunk, but the story goes that he was visiting his girlfriend for his daughters first birthday and had been there earlier in the day. He "Supposedly" kicked in the front door and was shot when he kicked in the bedroom door. Wouldn't he have realized if he was there before that he was in the wrong apartment before kicking in the bedroom door...And why would he feel he needed to kick in the door? This story needs more clarification of facts before any judgements should be made. Either way, terribly tragic situation and thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends for his death.

beasted86
05-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Unnecessary loss of life.

limebalz05
05-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Don't bust down a man's front door and bedroom!

NYKNYGNYY
05-28-2016, 09:51 PM
When keeping it real goes wrong

Captain Moroni
05-28-2016, 10:23 PM
I always feel sad when someone dies that young. But kicking in someone's door at that time of the night? Too bad for you, the shooter would be an idiot not to shoot you.
My bedroom at 3am is a safe haven for my wife and I, as is the rest of my home. If you kicked in our front door at any time the only question would be which one of us would shoot you first. And I'm completely serious.

Six-8-TheWizard
05-29-2016, 12:02 AM
Why would you be kicking down the doors of an estranged female friend?

Supposedly he was there earlier or something. I would think alcohol would very likely be a factor in that decision though regardless. I'm sure more information will come out about it in the coming days

Six-8-TheWizard
05-29-2016, 12:05 AM
This story is too inconsistent with the info that is currently available. I can definitely buy that he might have been drunk, but the story goes that he was visiting his girlfriend for his daughters first birthday and had been there earlier in the day. He "Supposedly" kicked in the front door and was shot when he kicked in the bedroom door. Wouldn't he have realized if he was there before that he was in the wrong apartment before kicking in the bedroom door...And why would he feel he needed to kick in the door? This story needs more clarification of facts before any judgements should be made. Either way, terribly tragic situation and thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends for his death.

Apparently he still didn't realize it was the wrong apartment even after he was inside.

@MarcJSpearsESPN
Via NBA security report obtained by ESPN, Bryce Dejean-Jones was calling for his GF when apartment owner shot him through his bedroom door.

He went into apartment "307" instead of "407" or something like that. In a building where the layout of each floor is exactly the same and in the middle of the night (and possibly under the influence of alcohol) I could see a lot of people making that mistake.

Captain Moroni
05-29-2016, 02:28 AM
Apparently he still didn't realize it was the wrong apartment even after he was inside.

He went into apartment "307" instead of "407" or something like that. In a building where the layout of each floor is exactly the same and in the middle of the night (and possibly under the influence of alcohol) I could see a lot of people making that mistake.

No. Maybe a lot of people getting drunk? Yes. Maybe a lot of people knocking on the wrong door? Yes. Maybe A lot of people confused? Yes.
A lot of people kicking in the front door, then violently kicking in the bedroom door? Uhhhh...nope. That would be a violent act worthy of getting shot at. Sorry.
"He went into the wrong apartment"? Are you kidding me? He SMASHED INTO THE APARTMENT, THEN SMASHED THE BEDROOM DOOR DOWN. The mistake he made was underestimating what was behind door number 2.

Six-8-TheWizard
05-29-2016, 07:25 AM
No. Maybe a lot of people getting drunk? Yes. Maybe a lot of people knocking on the wrong door? Yes. Maybe A lot of people confused? Yes.
A lot of people kicking in the front door, then violently kicking in the bedroom door? Uhhhh...nope. That would be a violent act worthy of getting shot at. Sorry.
"He went into the wrong apartment"? Are you kidding me? He SMASHED INTO THE APARTMENT, THEN SMASHED THE BEDROOM DOOR DOWN. The mistake he made was underestimating what was behind door number 2.

He never did anything to the bedroom door. They said that he was shot "through the bedroom door" so he was still in the other part of the apartment

When I said "a lot of people" I was mainly referring to the acts in red (ie getting the apartment wrong). For the kicking in part I would be the driving force in that. Most sober people wouldn't go that far but I could easily see a drunk guy kicking in the door so he could get inside and sleep or whatever.

With all of that being said though I still agree with you regarding the shooter being in the right. The fact that he shot him through the door obviously means the guy was quite scared (rightfully so) and given the circumstances and the laws in place he had every right and a reasonable expectation to defend himself the way that he did

sep11ie
05-29-2016, 08:04 AM
I woulda shot him too.

Captain Moroni
05-29-2016, 10:00 AM
He never did anything to the bedroom door. They said that he was shot "through the bedroom door" so he was still in the other part of the apartment

When I said "a lot of people" I was mainly referring to the acts in red (ie getting the apartment wrong). For the kicking in part I would be the driving force in that. Most sober people wouldn't go that far but I could easily see a drunk guy kicking in the door so he could get inside and sleep or whatever.

With all of that being said though I still agree with you regarding the shooter being in the right. The fact that he shot him through the door obviously means the guy was quite scared (rightfully so) and given the circumstances and the laws in place he had every right and a reasonable expectation to defend himself the way that he did

Conflicting reports. We shall see

JWO35
05-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Just a sad story all around...RIP

Six-8-TheWizard
05-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Conflicting reports. We shall see

Agreed. Hopefully we get more clarity on this once all of the dust has settled