PDA

View Full Version : NBA All Time Redraft - 2 v 7 (NBA)

Ebbs
05-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Once again this year users on the forum partook in an all time snake redraft with players over the history of the sport we all love. GMs drafted players based on their 3 season peaks and assumed 100% health. Via the draft and trades they tried to compile the best team they could. Please look at the teams posted below and decide which one would win in a 7 game series. The higher seed has home court advantage. After you've carefully thought about which team would win, please vote on the poll. If you can't please post in the thread stating which team you think wins and I can add it to the poll

2. Winterfell
C: Hakeem Olaujuwon / Vlade Divac
PF: Carmelo Anthony / Charles Oakley
SF: Shane Battier / Eddie Johnson
SG: Clyde Drexler / Hal Greer
PG: Mark Price / Gilbert Arenas

7. Foster Home
pg: Walt Frazier /Terrell Brandon
sg: Joe Johnson/Derek Harper
sf: Rick Barry/Jamal Wilkes
pf Kevin Garnett/Sam Perkins
C: Bob Lanier/ Al Horford

mightybosstone
05-28-2016, 04:08 PM
This is another matchup that is more interesting than the seeding would indicate. Winterfell would definitely be able to get up and down with Price, Drexler and Hakeem. I love Melo playing a small ball 4, but that matchup against Garnett is going to be really, really tough. On the flip side, though, having Garnett guard Melo out on the perimeter and giving Hakeem 1 on 1 opportunities against Lanier is just a recipe for disaster for Foster's Home. And you can't put Garnett on Hakeem because Lanier would get absolutely slaughtered by Melo. The back courts and wings are intriguing as I love the two Clydes. Both teams also have really solid benches, though I'd give the edge to Winterfell.

I'll wait to see how the debate pans out, but the huge 90s Rockets homer in me is probably going to vote for the Hakeem/Clyde duo unless I can be swayed otherwise. Hell, that team has three of my 10 favorite Rockets of all-time. I don't know how I'm going to be be able to vote against them the entire tournament.....

Quinnsanity
05-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Whoever avoids Frazier between Price and Drexler is going to have a field day. Gimme Winterfell.

Kaner
05-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Good luck and awesome team Ebbs, but here is why mine wins.

Why Walt wins
Frazier should stick Drexler who is listed only 10 lbs heavier for alot of the series easily one of the 10 or even 5 best defensive guards in nba history Frazier won 9x 1st team defense. Who being guarded by Price is sure to have a strong series and is another guy on my team that has proven he could lead a team to a championship dominating in the playoffs, Willis Reed's courage won him finals MVP but Clyde was the main man in Game 7 in 1970, and definitely the Knicks best player when they lost to the Lakers in the 72 finals.

Why Barry is the best offensive player in the series
Some info on Barry, Lead his team to the finals twice the first as a rookie putting up 40ppg against a better center then even Hakeem in Wilt taking them to 6 games. The 2nd time he got there he wins Finals MVP putting up ~30/5/4 however he won't have to bare as much of the offensive burden in this series as he had to in the playoffs to win in his career because of the offensive options around him so his playmaking gets to show. Barry in his best season put up 30/6/6 while leading the league in spg at 2.9.

KG could be the biggest mismatch of the series, one of the most athletic pf of all-time considering his size and his quickness limits the typical advantage for Carmelo while not having the length to bother KG well defensively when heís already a below average defender against the average nba pf.

Lanier has size and was a good defender in his prime, he isnít the Hakeem stopper but heíll make him work and Hakeem would get his but that doesnít mean he will do it well enough to beat my team. Lanier and Horford have a sweet jump shot and are good athletes so they will probably work away from the basket on offense which will pose a problem for Winterfell's defense pulling Hakeem away.
Tempted to Start Harper with Frazier which will be a common backcourt in the series if JJ on Price is hurting too much but Iím skeptical that JJ isnít quick enough to stay in front of Price.

mightybosstone
05-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Good luck and awesome team Ebbs, but here is why mine wins.

Why Walt wins
Frazier should stick Drexler who is listed only 10 lbs heavier for alot of the series easily one of the 10 or even 5 best defensive guards in nba history Frazier won 9x 1st team defense. Who being guarded by Price is sure to have a strong series and is another guy on my team that has proven he could lead a team to a championship dominating in the playoffs, Willis Reed's courage won him finals MVP but Clyde was the main man in Game 7 in 1970, and definitely the Knicks best player when they lost to the Lakers in the 72 finals.

Why Barry is the best offensive player in the series
Some info on Barry, Lead his team to the finals twice the first as a rookie putting up 40ppg against a better center then even Hakeem in Wilt taking them to 6 games. The 2nd time he got there he wins Finals MVP putting up ~30/5/4 however he won't have to bare as much of the offensive burden in this series as he had to in the playoffs to win in his career because of the offensive options around him so his playmaking gets to show. Barry in his best season put up 30/6/6 while leading the league in spg at 2.9.

KG could be the biggest mismatch of the series, one of the most athletic pf of all-time considering his size and his quickness limits the typical advantage for Carmelo while not having the length to bother KG well defensively when heís already a below average defender against the average nba pf.

Lanier has size and was a good defender in his prime, he isnít the Hakeem stopper but heíll make him work and Hakeem would get his but that doesnít mean he will do it well enough to beat my team. Lanier and Horford have a sweet jump shot and are good athletes so they will probably work away from the basket on offense which will pose a problem for Winterfell's defense pulling Hakeem away.
Tempted to Start Harper with Frazier which will be a common backcourt in the series if JJ on Price is hurting too much but Iím skeptical that JJ isnít quick enough to stay in front of Price.
Some of these points I buy, but many of them I struggle with. For starters, you're correct in that your two biggest mismatches in the series from an offensive standpoint are at PG and PF. I don't see Price and Melo really bothering Walt and KG very much. However, I don't necessarily think having your best interior defender on Melo does you a ton of favors. How do you plan to defend Hakeem 1 on 1 with Lanier (not a great historical defender) with KG defending Melo 18-20 feet from the basket? Are your perimeter defenders going to swarm him when he gets the ball deep in the paint? Or are they going to stay home to prevent the open 3-pointer or drives from Clyde and Melo?

Also, you say you're "tempted" to start Harper. Which is it? Are you or aren't you? Because either way, I'm not sure that SG matchup bodes well for you. You can either stick a so-so defensive wing who is a true SG on Clyde in JJ or put a very good, albeit small, combo guard on him. Either way, I think Drexler torches that guy, especially in a fast-paced offense that Winterfell is capable of running.

And then one last question. You have some solid offensive players on your roster, but given what we've seen with the evolution of the 3-pointer over the last 30 years, it's become clear that teams that can shoot the 3-pointer thrive and those that can't fail. You've got only one proven 3-point shooter in your starting five and two so-so shooters on your bench, and you're facing a team with three quality perimeter shooters. Why should voters believe that you'll be able to keep up with Winterfell offensively?

Sadds The Gr8
05-28-2016, 07:02 PM
ebbs prolly shoulda started Oakley here

Ebbs
05-28-2016, 07:50 PM

I'll respond later but not at all.

I happily surrender the four matchup because Kevin Garnett is now chasing Melo outside. He might matchup well with Melo but the middle is bleeding and my boys smell the blood.

xbrackattackx
05-29-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm thinking Winterfell. That bench is Underrated as well. You have Divac and Oakley who would be starting in some teams. As of now Winterfell. But I also like that with this team, they can run Price/Clyde/Melo/Hakeem/Divac that's a potentially fun line up.

roshan3ai
05-29-2016, 10:40 AM

I actually don't agree, I think if he starts Oakley then we could see some KG on Hakeem and then Lanier on Oakley. But with KG-Melo, KG has to guard Melo because Lanier can't guard him on the perimeter. That lineup definitely poses some trouble for Kaner's squad. Without a way to stop Hakeem, I think I gotta go with Ebbs team pretty easily

Shammyguy3
05-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Another matchup where the lower seed matches well but Hakeem has a great surrounding cast and bench. He will really exploit the interior defense with Garnett having to guard he perimeter more than he should. I think this goes 7 but give me Winterfell

Kaner
05-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Some of these points I buy, but many of them I struggle with. For starters, you're correct in that your two biggest mismatches in the series from an offensive standpoint are at PG and PF. I don't see Price and Melo really bothering Walt and KG very much. However, I don't necessarily think having your best interior defender on Melo does you a ton of favors. How do you plan to defend Hakeem 1 on 1 with Lanier (not a great historical defender) with KG defending Melo 18-20 feet from the basket? Are your perimeter defenders going to swarm him when he gets the ball deep in the paint? Or are they going to stay home to prevent the open 3-pointer or drives from Clyde and Melo?

Also, you say you're "tempted" to start Harper. Which is it? Are you or aren't you? Because either way, I'm not sure that SG matchup bodes well for you. You can either stick a so-so defensive wing who is a true SG on Clyde in JJ or put a very good, albeit small, combo guard on him. Either way, I think Drexler torches that guy, especially in a fast-paced offense that Winterfell is capable of running.

I said I was skeptical it was a switch that was needed, that's 'which is it', I'm tempted to start if voters feel Price is swinging the series but I doubt that'd be the case since he wasn't very athletic and so JJ should keep up but illustrating that I've got a good backup in Harper off the bench to tag price if he became much of a problem in the series. While you thinking that Drexler's going to torch Frazier isn't actually a compelling argument. Frazier is listed 6-4 200 to Drexler 6-7 210 undersized sure but so was Wade and Kobe then, and you're talking about one of the greatest defenders of all-time this isn't nearly the mismatch for him as one of my guards is for 6ft 170 price. I don't agree that Lanier can't body up Hakeem in the post certainly a plus defender in his career and of course the greatest help defender of all-time is going to put pressure all over with his defense. My team defensive identity here is basically improved 08 Celtics.

And then one last question. You have some solid offensive players on your roster, but given what we've seen with the evolution of the 3-pointer over the last 30 years, it's become clear that teams that can shoot the 3-pointer thrive and those that can't fail. You've got only one proven 3-point shooter in your starting five and two so-so shooters on your bench, and you're facing a team with three quality perimeter shooters. Why should voters believe that you'll be able to keep up with Winterfell offensively?

Because offensive talent and mismatches my team would take advantage of like any basketball game of course good to great passers at every spot helps all 5 starters have over 4apg in 3 year peak.

The_Jamal
05-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Man, I initially bought into Kaner team hype because of how filthy a mismatch that KG-Melo and Price-Frazier is, but the simple fact that KG has to leave the paint changes the entire series for me in favor of Winterfell. KG one of the best overall defenders ever would have made a huge difference in help defense on Hakeem and the PnR with the guards. I think I would have started KG at C and Horford at the PF, just to get your best player back into the spot he should be in defending the paint.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-30-2016, 03:20 AM
Man, I initially bought into Kaner team hype because of how filthy a mismatch that KG-Melo and Price-Frazier is, but the simple fact that KG has to leave the paint changes the entire series for me in favor of Winterfell. KG one of the best overall defenders ever would have made a huge difference in help defense on Hakeem and the PnR with the guards. I think I would have started KG at C and Horford at the PF, just to get your best player back into the spot he should be in defending the paint.

KG was one of the best players defending out on the perimeter. Raps and I were discussing Kaner's team and if he went small, he might have one of the best small ball teams. Starting Horford at PF would've made the matchup really interesting.

I still hate Joe Johnson in this tho. I guess he could defend Battier? But Barry on Clyde's not much better. That's maybe the difference in this series if he has KG guarding Hakeem. But boy, that adjustment in the lineup would've made this much more interesting. Instead, KG out on the perimeter away from Hakeem wraps this series up quickly. A missed adjustment from the coaching staff.

KnicksorBust
05-30-2016, 09:38 AM
Winterfell easily. This team is too good to be challenged in round 1.

Lakers + Giants
05-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Winterfell just too strong here.