PDA

View Full Version : LBJ: Six straight finals

JasonJohnHorn
05-28-2016, 07:43 AM
I know some people will just say "weak east", but in fairness, the east had more teams over .500 this season (though the West ha better top tier teams).

I think this deserves some serious praise. No play since the 60's has managed to pull off a string of title runs likes this, and he has put some serious mileage on his body with all these deep playoff runs.

Kudos to LBJ.

How impressive do you think this streak is, and how will it be viewed in the context of the history of the game years from now.

ewing
05-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Not impressive at all. He is a ring chaser and he only has 2 despite jumping ship on this teammates every time they face any adversity. Even right now he is on a one year deal. His run is not comparable to the runs of past greats that also had team success

JasonJohnHorn
05-28-2016, 08:15 AM
Not impressive at all. He is a ring chaser and he only has 2 despite jumping ship on this teammates every time they face any adversity. Even right now he is on a one year deal. His run is not comparable to the runs of past greats that also had team success

I see where you are coming from there. And I agree with it in part, but at the same time, the Cavs failed to put a winner around him the first time around. I don't blame him for leaving. If the Lakers didn't have Kareem, and Cooper, and Nixon and Later Worthy and Green around Magic, do you think he would have stayed? Had bird not had Parish and McHale and Johnson and Walton, do you think he would have hung around in Boston? Had jordan not had Pippen and Grant and Armstrong, and later Rodman, Harper, and Kukoc put around him, do you think he would have stayed in Chicago?

The Cavs failed to put a winner around James, so he left. I can't blame him for that. They gave up all their assets for a run at the finals, they were set to lose some players and have nothing to put around him. I mean, what did they have going in 2010 to put around him? Anthony Parker? Mo Williams? An injury-prone Anderson-V? And aged Big Z? Hickson?

Jordan, Bird, and Magic never won under such poor management. Had the Cavs been run as well as the Lakers, Celtics and Bulls, he wouldn't have left, and he would have been in a position to win every year. Instead, he wa dragging a 35-year-old shooting guard from Israel to 61 wins and making Mo Williams look like an All-Star. But when the playoffs rolled around, there's no way that team could hold up.

I think leaving Cleveland was the right thing to do. Returning to Cleveland wasn't a matter of leaving when thigns got tough. The Heat were still in a great position to win. They just made it to the finals. They had two All-Star along with James. He just wanted to return home. I don't think that was ring chasing, because to be honest, I think a health Heat with James would have been better than a healthy Cavs roster with James.

His moving around does negate the accomplishment to some degree, but at the same time, I think that, looking at what guys like Magic and Bird and Jordan had to work with, it clear that LBJ wasn't getting the support on the court or from the front office that those guys were getting and he had to make his own way.

At the end of the day, everybody's chasing a ring. It's just a question of whether or not their front office is allowing them to do that where they are, or sending them off to do it elsewhere.

GoferKing_
05-28-2016, 08:37 AM
East is free for James, I can't see this as being an huge accomplishment.

maddBat
05-28-2016, 08:38 AM
u have to give credit when its due n he deserves the praise. I guess u can say him jumping ship from cavs to heat then back to the cavs tarnishes it a bit. but hes easily been the best player and the vocal point on offense/defense wherever hes been. last year he took the cavs to the finals by himself. glad to c them finally healthy. should be a good finals whether it be okc or gs

Crackadalic
05-28-2016, 09:31 AM
People acting like its not a huge accomplishment and all time greats retire without getting to the finals. And this bad mother****er (Lowry voice) been to 6 straight and 7 overall.

Put some respeck on his name and appericate this mans greatness. I don't like James. Hell I think he's a Pima Donna prick but I'll give props when its needed

Dade County
05-28-2016, 09:36 AM
People are crazy if they don't think that this is a big deal.

Some fan bases wish their teams can just make it to the Final's (Pacers, Grizz, Hawks, Raps.. on and on). Some of you posters are totally whacked out. When do you guys think you will see something like this again?

The only thing I laugh at Lbj about is, don't you feel soooo stupid for giving Dallas a championship. You can never get that back...smh

Thats his biggest weakness, he doesn't no how to tell his boss F U, I am winning at all cost. He messed up his legacy, by not sweeping/destroying teams when he could of.

t_money25
05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
SMH at the hate in here. Face it. Some of you just don't like him and that's the reason why you don't think this is a big accomplishment. Hell Lebron can go on to be the POTUS and you still won't think that's an accomplishment. Stop hating and enjoy his greatness. You just might not see something like this again.

Chronz
05-28-2016, 10:06 AM
What people mean to say is that's it's not as impressive if he were out West but c'mon, in a sport where inferior teams beat better teams as early as R1, making the Finals 6x in a row is impressive.

What makes it impressive has generally been his performance and his teams have been shorthanded in the past. East typically has at least one other contender too. Magic and West wouldn't have made as many Finals if he were in the East, this holds true for every great in the inferior conference.

Here's how we quantify this. Swap out the conference champs. Which years does a lebron team fail to make it?

jerellh528
05-28-2016, 11:09 AM
His team better win this time or it'll only reinforce the narrative.

2/7 in finals. A record like this shows he can easily beat up on the east but falls vs the western powerhouse.

LivinLakers
05-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Greatness is defined by 2 things. Rings and records. He will be at or near the top in the records categories (i.e. Most points, rebounds, assists, etc in the playoffs, finals). But his record in the finals will diminish how people consider his greatness, as will his team hopping. I think he is one of the top 5 players ever, but can't consider him in the same conversation as Jordan.

FlashBolt
05-28-2016, 11:18 AM
His team better win this time or it'll only reinforce the narrative.

2/7 in finals. A record like this shows he can easily beat up on the east but falls vs the western powerhouse.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the only NBA Finals you can truly blame him for is the one against Dallas. First NBA Finals, he was 22 years old going against a Spurs team that were clearly a more well-rounded team. Second NBA Finals was the Dallas one. Third, he won. Fourth, he won. Fifth, he had relatively no help from his teammates compared to the outburst from the Spurs. Sixth, you know what happened there. I'm not saying we should just discount those from his legacy but it's also important to be fair and use context in those Finals. If one player overachieves and goes to the Finals, it's not a slight on them if they did their absolute best and still lost. This Finals, I don't know how it will go. If it's against the OKC, LeBron has the 17-4 record against them. If it's the Warriors, they have a healthy lineup. It all depends on whether or not Kyrie+Love show up because if not and LeBron is the only one who shows up, why are people blaming him again?

kdspurman
05-28-2016, 11:18 AM
James Jones has been to 6 straight too I believe. Gotta give him his kudos too :)

Matrix3132
05-28-2016, 11:24 AM
It's somewhat impressive but real talk, LBJ has played his entire career in the weaker conference (historically weak many years) and he's rarely had to play a real series until the eastern conference finals and almost never had to deal with difficult 1st/2nd round match-ups that top seeds in the west deal with every year.

That's not hating, just facts.

Tony_Starks
05-28-2016, 11:34 AM
If you make 7 straight Finals as the leader I don't care how you did it, collusion...team hopping... I don't care, that's a major accomplishment. Lebron is in rare legendary territory, we may not see something that special again.

Conversely if you go 2 for 7 in the Finals as the leader I also don't care how you did it, supposedly "outmatched"......I don't care, that's major as well. That's rare territory also, that goes on the resume.

Wade n Fade
05-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Cleveland riding the coat-tails of Miami. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYt0WbDjJ4E

jerellh528
05-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but the only NBA Finals you can truly blame him for is the one against Dallas. First NBA Finals, he was 22 years old going against a Spurs team that were clearly a more well-rounded team. Second NBA Finals was the Dallas one. Third, he won. Fourth, he won. Fifth, he had relatively no help from his teammates compared to the outburst from the Spurs. Sixth, you know what happened there. I'm not saying we should just discount those from his legacy but it's also important to be fair and use context in those Finals. If one player overachieves and goes to the Finals, it's not a slight on them if they did their absolute best and still lost. This Finals, I don't know how it will go. If it's against the OKC, LeBron has the 17-4 record against them. If it's the Warriors, they have a healthy lineup. It all depends on whether or not Kyrie+Love show up because if not and LeBron is the only one who shows up, why are people blaming him again?

This just furthers my point that he can get them to the finals in the east with what people like you consider minimal help since the east is so weak. Still falls short in the finals, so this post really doesn't change what I said, In fact it enhances it. You consider his teams to be so flawed yet he still makes it to the finals, until the west exposes them even though he has hoarded eastern talent for the last 6 years.

CHANGO
05-28-2016, 12:52 PM
"His team is stacked"

How about last year's playoffs? Love out after the 1st round, Irving injured through the playoffs and switching between sitting and playing different games. So there goes his two "all-stars stacked team".

What's the excuse then?

FlashBolt
05-28-2016, 01:01 PM
This just furthers my point that he can get them to the finals in the east with what people like you consider minimal help since the east is so weak. Still falls short in the finals, so this post really doesn't change what I said, In fact it enhances it. You consider his teams to be so flawed yet he still makes it to the finals, until the west exposes them even though he has hoarded eastern talent for the last 6 years.

It doesn't actually further your point. They were down against the Pacers/Boston for quite some years. It's not like LeBron on the West wouldn't coast through several teams. You're just not looking at this from every angle but want to pinpoint this on LeBron coasting the East. LeBron can coast through the West as well.. just give him the Spurs roster for the majority of his career. Give him Duncan+Manu+Gino+Parker for ten seasons.. then tell me he wouldn't be sweeping every team. Again, I'm not saying the East isn't quite easier. But no current NBA player would have went to six straight Finals just like that other than LeBron. I don't see one player who could.

FlashBolt
05-28-2016, 01:03 PM
"His team is stacked"

How about last year's playoffs? Love out after the 2nd round, Irving injured through the playoffs and switching between sitting and playing different games. So there goes his two "all-stars stacked team".

What's the excuse then?

And he won two games against a team that should have swept them since Irving+Love were out. Cavs just outplayed them until it became too much for them to handle. There is no excuse. They want to say LeBron is on a stacked/easy conference but they can't find one player who could replicate that same success.

D-Leethal
05-28-2016, 01:08 PM
He beat a bunch of nobodies. No team he faced in the ECF will ever be remembered as a great team. There has been no worthy foe in those 6 years. The closest thing was an ancient Celtics team.

TheNumber37
05-28-2016, 01:12 PM
I think getting to the finals his first time with the Cavs was impressive.

Literally every other time I was not impressed because it was done on "Super" teams that he had a big hand in forming over a Summer.

Lebron 2-5 in finals is all that's gonna matter

FlashBolt
05-28-2016, 01:14 PM
He beat a bunch of nobodies. No team he faced in the ECF will ever be remembered as a great team. There has been no worthy foe in those 6 years. The closest thing was an ancient Celtics team.

Would you be saying the same if he were on the Spurs roster instead of Kawhi for the past six seasons?

FreshestTakes
05-28-2016, 01:43 PM
LeBron chokes in the finals.

The east is so bad... getting to the finals is not a big deal

lol, please
05-28-2016, 01:45 PM

Well said.

The man jumped team to team to get it done, and couldn't get it done with the team that drafted him.

Context is everything.

The man lacks leadership, guts, and is a mental midget.

jerellh528
05-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Would you be saying the same if he were on the Spurs roster instead of Kawhi for the past six seasons?

There's a thing called salary cap. Reason why Spurs have been good for the past 2 decade is they find players to fit the system and are always one of the deepest teams. If you want to just transplant James into a west team you have to account for whatever players will be lost over his 25 mil salary. Look at the cavs, they have the most expensive team in he NBA.

PhillyFaninLA
05-28-2016, 02:04 PM

Seriously not impressive....I get you are the second or third biggest troll on that site...but for someone that I know actually knows a bit about the game, the first 4 words of your post are ridiculous.

You just said that 6 straight finals is not impressive, and even for you that is a bit much to say

PhillyFaninLA
05-28-2016, 02:06 PM
James Jones has been to 6 straight too I believe. Gotta give him his kudos too :)

Absolutely, if he has been he deserves some kudos, it is still impressive

PhillyFaninLA
05-28-2016, 02:08 PM
LeBron chokes in the finals.

The east is so bad... getting to the finals is not a big deal

First have the balls to post from your real account and not this alt...second....he hardly choked in the finals last year....he made is something to watch

Chronz
05-28-2016, 02:22 PM
There's a thing called salary cap. Reason why Spurs have been good for the past 2 decade is they find players to fit the system and are always one of the deepest teams. If you want to just transplant James into a west team you have to account for whatever players will be lost over his 25 mil salary. Look at the cavs, they have the most expensive team in he NBA.

LOL, people use salary for and against players however they see fit. I remember Kobe fans trashing Duncan for taking paycuts to retain talent, I've seen people trash Curry for his peanuts contract and injuries affording GS the luxury of building a talent laden contender.

Bron is in the unique position that you can point to both Cleveland and Miami as examples of being underpaid and finally getting his due worth.

Sadly, Bron has been the best player in the world for too long for anyone to be dumb enough to think he wouldn't be worth the exchange in salary/players to a team like the Spurs. If Bron has taken paycuts before and has taken the max before, how could you possibly justify pigeonholing him into either corner?

Bostonjorge
05-28-2016, 02:23 PM
It's only impressive if you don't look back at the teams he beat along the way. 90% of them couldn't even win 50 games in the season. In the east playoffs James has more losses to 50 win teams than he actually beat.

Chronz
05-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Seriously not impressive....I get you are the second or third biggest troll on that site...but for someone that I know actually knows a bit about the game, the first 4 words of your post are ridiculous.

You just said that 6 straight finals is not impressive, and even for you that is a bit much to say

Just mention Larry Bird and watch as the standards fall. Dude got his country *** locked down so often that he makes Bron look immortal.

t_money25
05-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Absolutely impressive. What's even more impressive is he's in position to make it 7 in a row.

GoferKing_
05-28-2016, 02:58 PM
East is so weak he will probably make it 10 times in a row.

5ass
05-28-2016, 03:13 PM
LeBeast.

Yanks All Day
05-28-2016, 03:13 PM
You're absolutely nuts if you don't see this as impressive. In the last 6 years, LeBron has played in 79, 62 (lockout), 77, 76, 69, and 76 regular season games. That's over 16,000 minutes of professional regular season basketball. Add in 21, 23, 23, 20, 20, and 14 (so far) games for over 4900 playoff minutes. THEN throw in the Olympics.

Anyone who thinks it's underwhelming to play in 21,000 minutes over 520 games and still average 25/7/7 while shooting over 50% in the span needs to re-think their perspective. No one in the NBA is even CLOSE to LeBron in that regard. He shows up every day and produces at the highest level imaginable. Take off the hater shades for a minute and try to compute the toll that kind of workload takes on your body. Dwayne Wade's body breaks down, Curry's ankles were questionable his entire career, Kevin Durant has had his problems, and so on. And those guys don't even come close to LeBron in terms of games and minutes played in those 6 years. This is a big accomplishment. Just because some fans don't like the guy shouldn't take away from his accomplishments.

Because if he was doing this for the Knicks, there would already be a statue for him outside of Madison Square Garden, and if he was wearing purple and gold for the Lakers, there would be G.O.A.T. talks coming out of Staples Center.

t_money25
05-28-2016, 03:17 PM
You're absolutely nuts if you don't see this as impressive. In the last 6 years, LeBron has played in 79, 62 (lockout), 77, 76, 69, and 76 regular season games. That's over 16,000 minutes of professional regular season basketball. Add in 21, 23, 23, 20, 20, and 14 (so far) games for over 4900 playoff minutes. THEN throw in the Olympics.

Anyone who thinks it's underwhelming to play in 21,000 minutes over 520 games and still average 25/7/7 while shooting over 50% in the span needs to re-think their perspective. No one in the NBA is even CLOSE to LeBron in that regard. He shows up every day and produces at the highest level imaginable. Take off the hater shades for a minute and try to compute the toll that kind of workload takes on your body. Dwayne Wade's body breaks down, Curry's ankles were questionable his entire career, Kevin Durant has had his problems, and so on. And those guys don't even come close to LeBron in terms of games and minutes played in those 6 years. This is a big accomplishment. Just because some fans don't like the guy shouldn't take away from his accomplishments.

Because if he was doing this for the Knicks, there would already be a statue for him outside of Madison Square Garden, and if he was wearing purple and gold for the Lakers, there would be G.O.A.T. talks coming out of Staples Center.

Couldn't have said it any better myself

effen5
05-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Honestly I'm not impressed knowing how pathetic the east has been. Especially the last decade. We've pretty much expected LeBron to win the east just because of how bad it is.

If he did this in the west tho, different story.

JasonJohnHorn
05-28-2016, 03:34 PM
I think getting to the finals his first time with the Cavs was impressive.

Literally every other time I was not impressed because it was done on "Super" teams that he had a big hand in forming over a Summer.

Lebron 2-5 in finals is all that's gonna matter
You have the same opinion of Magic and Russell? not impressive when you have a stacked team? Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Nixon, Green, Scott, Perkins, ect.. Or a roster full of HOFers like Russell's Boston squad?

effen5
05-28-2016, 03:39 PM
I find what the spurs has done much more impressive. Not missing the playoffs in what 19 years?

YAALREADYKNO
05-28-2016, 03:42 PM
6 straight finals is 6 straight finals. At least he's been taking care of business and getting there. Can't knock the man for that.

europagnpilgrim
05-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Well said.

The man jumped team to team to get it done, and couldn't get it done with the team that drafted him.

Context is everything.

The man lacks leadership, guts, and is a mental midget.

well said with bitterness

you call a free agent who played 7 years same team of his superstar magnitude(pressure to win rings), team jumping? I call it weighing your free agent options at max level since its all about winning big right? if context is everything then you of course would understand that going to 4 straight Finals with the Heat validates Lebron and what all players aspire for right? I mean you said context is everything, so the circumstances of him leaving and joining the Heat outweigh staying in Cle at that current time, that was a great idea by Lebron utilizing his free agency power, I wish past players did it more and not show so much fake loyalty ..the decision was classic, no matter on tv or via twitter or facebook

carried a 07' squad to Finals that had no business there by a lack of leadership, guts and mentality? scoring like 30 straight points against a team in ECF is a lack of those 3 things? boobie Gibson as a sidekick I guess fits the bill for you or was it all on Lebron shoulders?

winning mvp/finals mvp in same season is lack of guts and mentality? forget the leadership since we all know Riley was running that boat, but going to 6 straight title/ship games in any form from Finals/Superbowls/WorldSeries/StanleyCups/GrandSlams/PGAMajors/PBA/little league/HS/NCAA is impressive no matter how you try and slice the pie in any era

Lebron is on pace to match Magic's run of 9 finals in 12yrs in a couple more seasons, he has 7 trips past 10yrs from a lack of leadership guts and mental midgetness

context is everything, classic

Chronz
05-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Imagine being in your 2nd year of HS with Bron making his first Finals, then seeing him in another Finals as you're finishing HS, then 5 years later you're on his team helping him win one. Thats Kyrie's life. Thats pretty impressive

Chronz
05-28-2016, 05:05 PM
As far as criticism goes, team jumping holds no weight, we dont measure individuals by how great their front office is. To pretend a player should stay with whatever team drafts him only empowers guys who force their way into certain markets pre-draft. Some guys have the support around them, some markets cant attract them.

europagnpilgrim
05-28-2016, 05:07 PM
I find what the spurs has done much more impressive. Not missing the playoffs in what 19 years?

6 finals in 19 years
or
6 finals in 13 years?

Spurs got 5 rings
Lebron got 2 rings

I know the west was tougher cliché is coming up but the Spurs for the most part were a top 1-3 seed for most of the time, so they were the cream of the crop out west as Lebron has been out East

SeoulBeatz
05-28-2016, 05:24 PM
People acting like its not a huge accomplishment and all time greats retire without getting to the finals. And this bad mother****er (Lowry voice) been to 6 straight and 7 overall.

Put some respeck on his name and appericate this mans greatness. I don't like James. Hell I think he's a Pima Donna prick but I'll give props when its needed

This

nastynice
05-28-2016, 05:43 PM
While the garbage east does take a away just a bit, a very little bit, of the thunder from this accomplishment, it's still a damn amazing accomplishment. Only player outside the 60's Celtics to do it :clap: I don't care what the stat is, that makes it impressive in my books

Jamiecballer
05-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Incredible accomplishment that won't be equalled for a damn long time

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
05-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Top 3 player of all time when it is all said and done and probably the 2nd best player of all time behind only Jordan... 6 straight ****ing finals.... Really think about that damn.

More-Than-Most
05-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Greatness is defined by 2 things. Rings and records. He will be at or near the top in the records categories (i.e. Most points, rebounds, assists, etc in the playoffs, finals). But his record in the finals will diminish how people consider his greatness, as will his team hopping. I think he is one of the top 5 players ever, but can't consider him in the same conversation as Jordan.

The series against Dallas means he can never pass Jordan in all honestly.. Every other series he has lost he gets a pass.. Last year he should have won the MVP and almost beat one of the best teams ever by himself... Losing to the cavs was an epic Choke Job where he played like utter ****..... You cant pass Jordan if you choke that hard in the finals and I am the biggest bron dick hugger in the world.

Pound for Pound James is the only player in the entire league over the past 25 years that adds the amount of value he adds because of his overall game.... He could take any team in any conference deep in the playoffs with just about anything around him because of how much better he makes everyone else.

More-Than-Most
05-28-2016, 07:35 PM

Except bron has taken pay cuts to be with other stars often... You dont think he takes 10 mill a season to be on a stacked spurs team and win? I know he would... Its the same MO in this thread... He wouldnt do this out west because the west is stacked but people dont seem to understand if you put him on any of the top 3 teams in any year over the past 10 in place of their star that team is by far the best team in basketball

You cant just say if he was in the west he wouldnt make it but not factor in how many superstars play with each other out west.

More-Than-Most
05-28-2016, 07:37 PM
So is magic no longer a t op 5 player because the stacked teams/weaker conference **** should apply to him as well right? Or are we only allowed to use it how we see fit? Hell we could use some of Jordans finals for this as well with how sad the NBA was at the time with declining talent and so on right? Or does that not fit the narrative?

Bostonjorge
05-28-2016, 07:44 PM
His 4 final loses tell me in the west he has 0 rings and 0 final appearance. James has literally played in the weakest conferences ever in the history of the game. One year it was the weakest ever. Without the rings this recored is worthless.

still1ballin
05-28-2016, 07:54 PM
lol, please

Sadds The Gr8
05-28-2016, 07:58 PM
impressive but the east has been REALLY bad the last 3-4 yrs. I don't think there's been 1 title contender other than a LBJ team.

ewing
05-28-2016, 08:27 PM
If Kryie blew out his knee in a Baron Davis type way tomorrow who would Bron play for and with next year?

Pfeifer
05-28-2016, 08:42 PM
Lebron is the most gifted athlete the association has ever seen. His IQ is off the charts. He is fragile mentaly. Does not have the same drive and killer instinct as he should. He never seems to want the ball in the big moments. I wish we could see him at full potential.

ChicagoJ
05-28-2016, 09:37 PM
It's a major accomplishment for Lebron. There is a stat where magic was in the finals 9 out of 11 years, or something along those lines, which is insane. It just goes to show you how valuable players are that can distribute the ball and get their teammates involved.

Chronz
05-28-2016, 10:03 PM
Here's my beef. We crucify guys like kg and tmac for never getting out of r1 and cp3 for r2 but bron making 6 straight finals is degraded?

Can't context work both ways.

More-Than-Most
05-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Lebron is the most gifted athlete the association has ever seen. His IQ is off the charts. He is fragile mentaly. Does not have the same drive and killer instinct as he should. He never seems to want the ball in the big moments. I wish we could see him at full potential.

I have no issues with this.. If he had the Kobe/MJ mentality he would be the GOAT in my opinion... He is far more physically gifted than both but never that mentality where not only am I gonna beat you Ima destroy you and talk **** in the process.. Kobe/MJ had massive chips on their shoulders and took it out on whomever.... Kobe had the best work ethic and drive I have ever seen... I dont mind Lebron playing his game and passing because that is what he does.... What I do mind is in his career when he would drive and dominate and then just stop late in games and try to shoot... Was moronic.

D-Leethal
05-28-2016, 10:41 PM

Saying what? That he hasn't beat any teams that are worthy of historical acknowledgement?

You are right, LeBron's durability and consistency is certainly more impressive than the historical context of his Finals runs.

As far as criticism goes, team jumping holds no weight, we dont measure individuals by how great their front office is. To pretend a player should stay with whatever team drafts him only empowers guys who force their way into certain markets pre-draft. Some guys have the support around them, some markets cant attract them.

The criticism holds weight for the question of how impressive 6 straight finals is. He jumped ship to form a super team that was light years ahead of the pack in his conference. The second that super team started to show signs of a need to a retooling of sorts, he left to form another ready-made super team light years ahead of the pack again. Its not like he is going through the ups and downs, he is making power moves to make sure he is on the best team in the conference at all times and only experiences the "ups". That's why he is able to play in 6 straight Finals. The way he is negotiating his contracts he will do this until retirement I'm sure. Can't knock the hustle, but you can knock it's impressiveness in context.

jphysics
05-29-2016, 01:17 AM
The criticisms are fair. He makes sure he stays on win-now title contenders only.

Still, that's an impressive streak, and he's been the best player on every team he's played on.

Kudos. He is an all-time great.

I still thinks he's a bu*thole though.

Aust
05-29-2016, 03:36 AM
While impressive, I feel like people are always going to bring this up when it comes to his career and leave out the most important part being how the East was utter dog **** for most of those years. It was a yearly cake walk full of paper tiger opposition.

Tony_Starks
05-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Saying what? That he hasn't beat any teams that are worthy of historical acknowledgement?

You are right, LeBron's durability and consistency is certainly more impressive than the historical context of his Finals runs.

The criticism holds weight for the question of how impressive 6 straight finals is. He jumped ship to form a super team that was light years ahead of the pack in his conference. The second that super team started to show signs of a need to a retooling of sorts, he left to form another ready-made super team light years ahead of the pack again. Its not like he is going through the ups and downs, he is making power moves to make sure he is on the best team in the conference at all times and only experiences the "ups". That's why he is able to play in 6 straight Finals. The way he is negotiating his contracts he will do this until retirement I'm sure. Can't knock the hustle, but you can knock it's impressiveness in context.

Pretty much. Unless you just hate him there's no way you can't see six straight Finals as impressive. But then when you look at how he basically stacked the deck to do it then it puts things in perspective. Especially when he bailed on the Super team he ran to as soon as they no longer looked "Super."

Won't matter to the Hall of fame but in the court of public opinion the ring chasing and jumping ship, along with his Finals record, is always going to be held against him.

Mell413
05-29-2016, 11:53 AM
It would probably mean a little more if it was done in the west, but it is still impressive nonetheless. If it was that easy it would happen more often.

effen5
05-29-2016, 12:40 PM
6 finals in 19 years
or
6 finals in 13 years?

Spurs got 5 rings
Lebron got 2 rings

I know the west was tougher cliché is coming up but the Spurs for the most part were a top 1-3 seed for most of the time, so they were the cream of the crop out west as Lebron has been out East

6 finals in 17 years with 5 rings is more impressive especially going through the west.

The toughest team LeBron had to face in the last 7 years was the Chicago Bulls and I think they only played the bulls twice once without Derrick.

The only finals I find LeBron going to impressive was his first one.

Aust
05-29-2016, 02:32 PM
I think his durability and playing at a high level consistently over the time period is just as if not more impressive.

numba1CHANGsta
05-29-2016, 03:05 PM
LeBron's opponents in the ECF:

11' Bulls
12' Celtics
13' Pacers
14' Pacers
15' Hawks
16' Raptors

yuck, other than the Celtics none of those teams are/were a legit championship contender. That Bulls team only had one legit guy that was Rose but one man alone had no match against prime LeBron/Wade/Bosh. That Celtics team was old, worn down, no way they had any chance beating a younger team with 3 prime players like the Heat. The other teams didn't even deserve to be in the ECF. The East is a joke, LeBron is a ring chaser, had he had stayed in CLE and never left and went to 6 straight Finals THEN I'd be impressed. It was basically like LeBron told CLE Hey guys I'm gonna leave for 4 years and join two other superstars, while I'm gone try to get two superstars for me to come back to in 4-5 years LOL

TDE
05-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Out of those 6 I can't really think of a great or all-time great team he had to overcome in the East, the Celtics?

TDE
05-29-2016, 03:37 PM
It would probably mean a little more if it was done in the west, but it is still impressive nonetheless. If it was that easy it would happen more often.
That would Never happen out West, The last 6 years 4 different teams have made the Finals.

TDE
05-29-2016, 03:47 PM
"His team is stacked"
How about last year's playoffs? Love out after the 1st round, Irving injured through the playoffs and switching between sitting and playing different games. So there goes his two "all-stars stacked team".

What's the excuse then?

Would he had made it out the West with those Injuries?

Didn't think so

mngopher35
05-29-2016, 03:47 PM
As others have said while this is impressive the context takes something away. I think the Bulls and Boston series (especially how the one ended, game 6 is all time level game), and last year with the injuries were pretty good but overall he clearly has had an easier road over that span.

Accolades tend to get overrated a bit in general imo so we will see how people see this down the road I guess. Impressive feat still but it's not the same as if he were in the West.

SoxPatsCeltsBs
05-29-2016, 03:54 PM
If he made this stretch with one team I'd be impressed. Leaving Cleveland to a created stacked team in Miami and then going back knowing the Cleveland team would be as competitive as Miami was just kills it for me. I understand you can't truly compare conferences but you're insane if you think he makes the finals even 3 times in a row if the team he was on played in the West.

Vinny642
05-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Not really that impressed

Sadds The Gr8
05-29-2016, 04:05 PM
LeBron's opponents in the ECF:

11' Bulls
12' Celtics
13' Pacers
14' Pacers
15' Hawks
16' Raptors

yuck, other than the Celtics none of those teams are/were a legit championship contender. That Bulls team only had one legit guy that was Rose but one man alone had no match against prime LeBron/Wade/Bosh. That Celtics team was old, worn down, no way they had any chance beating a younger team with 3 prime players like the Heat. The other teams didn't even deserve to be in the ECF. The East is a joke, LeBron is a ring chaser, had he had stayed in CLE and never left and went to 6 straight Finals THEN I'd be impressed. It was basically like LeBron told CLE Hey guys I'm gonna leave for 4 years and join two other superstars, while I'm gone try to get two superstars for me to come back to in 4-5 years LOL

I think even calling that Celtics team contenders is generous. OKC woulda washed that team

numba1CHANGsta
05-29-2016, 04:27 PM
I think even calling that Celtics team contenders is generous. OKC woulda washed that team

I was trying to be a little nice lol Nonetheless, out of those 6 only the Celtics were considered an elite team, but that goes to show how weak that conference has been if an old worn down Celtics team was LeBron's biggest challenge in the East over the past 6 season YIKES!