PDA

View Full Version : Riley 'hate's LBJ/Wade friendship; forgets time he loved it

JasonJohnHorn
05-28-2016, 07:33 AM
Here's the post
http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=411117

Not much a story to be honest... but it's a slow day in BB news.

This reminds me of when Mourning was ripping LBJ for leaving Miami, when he had apparently forgotten the time he left Miami.

Riley had no issue with the Wade/LBJ friendship when it helped him land LBJ in free agency, but now that LBJ isn't with them, he feels the need to come out and publicly offer disapproval of this.

Seems petty to me. Of course, this sounds like a secondary source. But given that Riley fined players for helping opponents up (that is fawking mental), this seems consistent with how he approaches the game.

As mentioned, Barkley and Kenny Smith also take issue with the friendship. Apparently Barkley forgets the time he went golfing with Jordan during the finals when they were playing against each other.

Thoughts? Go wherever you like with this. Does Riley take things too far? Fining players for sportsmanship? Should competitors not be friends? What's your take?

SportsFanatic10
05-28-2016, 07:39 AM
I don't doubt that he disapproves, but where exactly does he publicly do so?

R. Johnson#3
05-28-2016, 07:46 AM
If you watched those Knick and Heat teams in the 90s then this should be no surprise. Pat Riley is a nasty SOB and expects the same from players that he coaches.

naps
05-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Riley is old school. He doesn't like brotherhood among opponents. He NEVER loved friendship between rivals. I am not sure where you get that from. So no he didnt forget anything he loved. Everywhere he coached, he instilled it successfully, be it LA, Knicks, or Miami. On the other hand, why would he not take a clear advantage when it benefits his team by landing the greatest basketball talent of all time? That's dumb. Wade and LeBron never met in the playoffs and there was no rivalry, just a good friendship. It was no where close to it became after James landed in Miami. I cant blame Riley for not liking it after how he got played by James in 2014. He cut all communications with Riley for weeks because he knew he decided to go back to the town next to his hometown and yet he flew the man to vegas for no reason. Ofcourse, he shouldnt like it. What the hell do you expect?

JasonJohnHorn
05-28-2016, 08:03 AM
I don't doubt that he disapproves, but where exactly does he publicly do so?

Dude.... I put the 'hates' in ironic quotes to denote that somebody was quoted on it, and noted in my post that it comes from a second source, not a direct quote from him, and the headline from the link I provided says 'Reportedly'.

It think it should be clear that this is not from Riley directly.

naps
05-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Except your thread title clearly indicates otherwise. Clickbait?

ManRam
05-28-2016, 10:25 AM
sounds like a petty man.

Chronz
05-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Not a fan of Riley but the man is an innovator. Even geniuses make dumb mistakes.

Tony_Starks
05-28-2016, 11:53 AM
A) it is pure gossip that he said that

B) if he does feel that way it's totally understandable, he's from the good old days!

JasonJohnHorn
05-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Except your thread title clearly indicates otherwise. Clickbait?

Sorry there is a limited character count. That's why I used the ironic quotes.

If you can't be bothered to read the thread post, and read the link, then obviously people will jump the gun.

Not much I can do about that.

SportsFanatic10
05-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Dude.... I put the 'hates' in ironic quotes to denote that somebody was quoted on it, and noted in my post that it comes from a second source, not a direct quote from him, and the headline from the link I provided says 'Reportedly'.

It think it should be clear that this is not from Riley directly.

It's all good man...It's just the bolded part below that at least to me practically makes it sound like he held a press conference to announce his displeasure with the friendship or something. That was what I was referring too. But like I said I don't doubt that he feels that way, but it's not like he's made any known effort to let it be public knowledge, I think that is a reach based on this scant report.

Here's the post
http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=411117

Not much a story to be honest... but it's a slow day in BB news.

This reminds me of when Mourning was ripping LBJ for leaving Miami, when he had apparently forgotten the time he left Miami.

Riley had no issue with the Wade/LBJ friendship when it helped him land LBJ in free agency, but now that LBJ isn't with them, he feels the need to come out and publicly offer disapproval of this.

Seems petty to me. Of course, this sounds like a secondary source. But given that Riley fined players for helping opponents up (that is fawking mental), this seems consistent with how he approaches the game.

As mentioned, Barkley and Kenny Smith also take issue with the friendship. Apparently Barkley forgets the time he went golfing with Jordan during the finals when they were playing against each other.

Thoughts? Go wherever you like with this. Does Riley take things too far? Fining players for sportsmanship? Should competitors not be friends? What's your take?