PDA

View Full Version : Contract-year con artists?

beasted86
05-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Who are some names both ALL-TIME and this year currently you think are fool's gold in free agency who will get overpaid off of a good season/playoffs at the right time?

All-time: Tim Thomas
He's my favorite for all time player. This guy was a clone of Jeff Green, a versatile, yet wildly inconsistent combo forward who only seemed to play good in a contract year or the playoffs of a contract year.

Currently: DeMar Derozan
His max STARTS at $27M and goes up $1.2M per seasons. In his last season he'll be making $31M as his athleticism starts to decline as he hits 30. I shudder at what team will be paying him that amount. I'm guessing owners will vote another amnesty in the next CBA negotiating period. There are other limited players like Drummond, Whiteside, and Barnes who will get recklessly overpaid, but not like DD who will be making the same amount as Durant. Think about that.

5ass
05-27-2016, 06:43 PM
I can see Biyombo getting overpaid for sure. I don't think he's as good as people are making him out to be, and I feel like he'll go back to being a mediocre player next season.

Also think Wade is going to get a huge contract he won't live up to.

LanceUpperCut
05-27-2016, 06:56 PM
I can see Biyombo getting overpaid for sure. I don't think he's as good as people are making him out to be, and I feel like he'll go back to being a mediocre player next season.

Also think Wade is going to get a huge contract he won't live up to.

BB will probably be overpaid but not sure why you would think he would be medicore in the future. To me he can be better then DJ and might be better then Whiteside right now, but I think those two are really overrated.

People forget BB is only 23 years old still.

eDush
05-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Who are some names both ALL-TIME and this year currently you think are fool's gold in free agency who will get overpaid off of a good season/playoffs at the right time?

All-time: Tim Thomas
He's my favorite for all time player. This guy was a clone of Jeff Green, a versatile, yet wildly inconsistent combo forward who only seemed to play good in a contract year or the playoffs of a contract year.

Currently: DeMar Derozan
His max STARTS at $27M and goes up $1.2M per seasons. In his last season he'll be making $31M as his athleticism starts to decline as he hits 30. I shudder at what team will be paying him that amount. I'm guessing owners will vote another amnesty in the next CBA negotiating period. There are other limited players like Drummond, Whiteside, and Barnes who will get recklessly overpaid, but not like DD who will be making the same amount as Durant. Think about that.Why would his max starts at 27m since he didn't hit a single Rose Rule trigger that qualifies a higher tier level which he didn't achieve. He's max would start at 21.9m whether he likes it or not :nod:.

Stunner
05-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Trevor Ariza

Allphakenny1
05-27-2016, 09:49 PM
As a Warriors fan we typically over paid for the fools gold type of players. I will name one that turned out great for my team. After a few years of mediocrity, Eric Dampier had an all-star type season with the Warriors in a contract year. The next year he was vastly over paid by the Dallas Mavericks. He was ok, but not great.

I'll stick to the Warriors theme here and agree that Harrison Barns will be over paid this year. He was offered something like 16 million a year for 4 years before the season and turned it down. After the season he had this year, I hope the Warriors do not even pay him that. I absolutely hope he gets over paid somewhere else next year.

mrblisterdundee
05-27-2016, 10:52 PM
The Trailblazers paid 31-year-old Shawn Kemp $52 million to stuff his face, battle drug addiction and paternity suits, and average a little over six points and a little under four rebounds per game and even play a season in Orlando. That's right; Portland paid Kemp to play in Orlando. At least he sucked there too. Then Portland had to pay him to not play at all.
Of course, that same offseason, Portland traded 22-year-old Jermaine O'Neal for 31-year-old Dale Davis. That was a pretty dumb time for our front office.

beasted86
05-27-2016, 11:10 PM
Why would his max starts at 27m since he didn't hit a single Rose Rule trigger that qualifies a higher tier level which he didn't achieve. He's max would start at 21.9m whether he likes it or not :nod:.

No. DeRozan has already played 7 seasons. He's automatically entitled to 30% of the cap. The Rose rule applies to young vets with 6 years or less experience who are normally limited to 25%.

With the latest memo sent to teams (4/15/16) estimating the cap at $92M, his starting salary is $27.6M. Other less experienced players who don't qualify for the Rose rule like Whiteside, Drummond, Barnes, and Beal are capped at $23M.

beasted86
05-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Trevor Ariza

Very good choice. Seems to play better in a contract year but is inconsistent as hell shooting the ball all other years.

He's also overrated defensively.

Wade n Fade
05-28-2016, 12:08 AM
Jerome James. My favorite Knicks signing of all time. Guy capitalized off a decent playoffs run with the Sonics. Isiah being Isiah signed him to a huge deal (at the time).

JAZZNC
05-28-2016, 01:11 AM
Jerome James. My favorite Knicks signing of all time. Guy capitalized off a decent playoffs run with the Sonics. Isiah being Isiah signed him to a huge deal (at the time).

Yeah, that would be mine. He got that contract because he blocked Tim Duncan a couple times in the playoffs.

eDush
05-28-2016, 01:17 AM
Why would his max starts at 27m since he didn't hit a single Rose Rule trigger that qualifies a higher tier level which he didn't achieve. He's max would start at 21.9m whether he likes it or not :nod:.

No. DeRozan has already played 7 seasons. He's automatically entitled to 30% of the cap. The Rose rule applies to young vets with 6 years or less experience who are normally limited to 25%.

With the latest memo sent to teams (4/15/16) estimating the cap at $92M, his starting salary is $27.6M. Other less experienced players who don't qualify for the Rose rule like Whiteside, Drummond, Barnes, and Beal are capped at $23M.Thx I didn't know he had that many years already. Now i definitely won't give him his max but a mini max of 10m per after the loss today. I would be happy making 10m every year...would you? It's a lot of dough :nod:

MTar786
05-28-2016, 03:20 AM
remember eric dampier the season before he left the warriors? it was his only ok season lol. dallas ended up giving him a ton of money.

luke walton got resigned to the lakers for crazy money too.. oh and sasha too. sahsa had a GREAT season and then he was garbage every year on the new contract we had him for

Aust
05-28-2016, 03:24 AM

With the latest memo sent to teams (4/15/16) estimating the cap at $92M, his starting salary is $27.6M. Other less experienced players who don't qualify for the Rose rule like Whiteside, Drummond, Barnes, and Beal are capped at $23M.

Just straight up disgusting. The thought of signing him kills all of my happy thoughts acquired from getting the #2 pick..

R. Johnson#3
05-28-2016, 07:28 AM
Hedo Turkoglu decimated the Raptors in the playoffs and had a very good season before the Raps signed him and then he just ate pizza.

JasonJohnHorn
05-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Hedo Turkoglu decimated the Raptors in the playoffs and had a very good season before the Raps signed him and then he just ate pizza.

Literally.... here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtgcyQy9jcc

ewing
05-28-2016, 08:00 AM
Literally.... here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtgcyQy9jcc

that's was awesome. Anyway, Tim Thomas is the answer.

ewing
05-28-2016, 08:04 AM
Yeah, that would be mine. He got that contract because he blocked Tim Duncan a couple times in the playoffs.

he actually got it for putting big number the round before against the Sonic who had no heathly bigs. He was posting Vlad Radmonivich and his nick name was "big snacks" . Zeke is ****ing moron.

Vinylman
05-28-2016, 10:17 AM
This year in no order

biyombo
DDR
Batum ... second time
Most players coming off their rookie deals with bad teams... call em the CBA Affirmative Action All Stars

All time... many .... the one i hated the most was PUKE Walton's 6 year deal with the Lakers

Scoots
05-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Eddy Curry
Starbury

JAZZNC
05-28-2016, 03:50 PM
he actually got it for putting big number the round before against the Sonic who had no heathly bigs. He was posting Vlad Radmonivich and his nick name was "big snacks" . Zeke is ****ing moron.

But he played FOR the Sonics???

ewing
05-28-2016, 06:57 PM
But he played FOR the Sonics???

wow good catch i was drunk when i posted that totally confused the teams. He was matched up with Kenny Thomas much of the time in the first round when they played Sac. that was the series that got him paid

MTar786
05-28-2016, 08:32 PM
lolol eddy curry

aman_13
05-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Just straight up disgusting. The thought of signing him kills all of my happy thoughts acquired from getting the #2 pick..

Don't worry, he won't be a Laker.

central2003
05-29-2016, 01:12 AM
Mikki Moore , enough said lol

TheMightyHumph
05-30-2016, 12:01 PM
Mikki Moore , enough said lol

Is that serious?

Saddletramp
05-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Tyson Chandler becomes a different player when he's in a contract year (not as bad as some listed here). But hey, it helped the Mavs win a title one of those contract years.

lol, please
05-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Austeezy signed a max contract then walked off a cliff and became Aust. That's like The Black Mamba turning into 2014-15 Kobe overnight.

:p

Aust
05-30-2016, 02:18 PM
^Savage!

I miss Hedo and Dwight balling in Orlando. That was a fun team to watch.

Saddletramp
05-30-2016, 02:29 PM
Austeezy signed a max contract then walked off a cliff and became Aust. That's like The Black Mamba turning into 2014-15 Kobe overnight.

:p

I guess this is an inside joke from when you were a Lakers fan?

koreancabbage
05-30-2016, 03:05 PM
BB will probably be overpaid but not sure why you would think he would be medicore in the future. To me he can be better then DJ and might be better then Whiteside right now, but I think those two are really overrated.

Biyombo isn't that good. but lets ride the hype train. Biyombo is highly overrated because of the playoffs but he's been definitely solid as a BENCH big. not as a starter.

koreancabbage
05-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Don't worry, he won't be a Laker.

Unfortunately, for the Raptors.

Supa
05-30-2016, 03:48 PM
I'll stick to the Warriors theme here and agree that Harrison Barns will be over paid this year. He was offered something like 16 million a year for 4 years before the season and turned it down. After the season he had this year, I hope the Warriors do not even pay him that. I absolutely hope he gets over paid somewhere else next year.

Harrison Barns is a starter on a championship team. $4millions/year is way too low for Barns, no wonder he turned it down.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 04:04 PM
Harrison Barns is a starter on a championship team. $4millions/year is way too low for Barns, no wonder he turned it down.

Reading comprehension "16 million a year for 4 years"

5ass
05-30-2016, 04:09 PM

This is what I mean. A couple of good play off games and people are comparing him to the top centres in the league. Reminds me of when people were saying Hibbert was better than Dwight after his play off series vs the Heat. Or like how Henson became overrated after his play off run vs the Bulls.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 04:43 PM
This is what I mean. A couple of good play off games and people are comparing him to the top centres in the league. Reminds me of when people were saying Hibbert was better than Dwight after his play off series vs the Heat. Or like how Henson became overrated after his play off run vs the Bulls.

To be fair the league doesn't have very many good centers right now. Just think, it's completely reasonable to think that it's possible the best center in the NBA will be in his 2nd year in the league.

mike_noodles
05-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Austin Croshere

Derozan doesn't belong on this list. He's shown improvement every year.

koreancabbage
05-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Austin Croshere

Derozan doesn't belong on this list. He's shown improvement every year.

this is also true. he's been improving every year since day 1. can't be included on this list.

eDush
05-30-2016, 06:19 PM

To be fair the league doesn't have very many good centers right now. Just think, it's completely reasonable to think that it's possible the best center in the NBA will be in his 2nd year in the league.
As long as we have a very good one in Bogut, that's good enough :nod:. Without him, we cannot win game 7 as he will be the key like in game 5. Game 7 will not be a continuation of game 6 where Bogut is ineffective like in game 3 and 4 otherwise, game over :(

Supa
05-30-2016, 06:23 PM
Well, 16millions/year for Harrison Barns is too much. Barns must be counting on some teams to steal a key player from Golden State.

I think he is worth 12 millions/year max.

5ass
05-30-2016, 07:53 PM

That's not really saying much, Towns is a beast. Its likely he'll be a 20-10 player with good defense as soon as next year. I agree that there aren't any great centers, but I still don't think Biyombo will be a top 5 center.

Cal827
05-30-2016, 08:59 PM
Tristian Thompson. Basically had a good playoff series on the rebounding side of the ball, and ends up with a freaking contract 16 million per year. Rebounding is essentially all that Thompson can do. Not exactly a good scorer or defender. Cleveland might win the title this season, but that contract could come back to haunt the hell out of them, cause nobody is going to be willing to take him off the Cavs hands unless thew pawn future draft picks.

Bismack is going to be this years Thompson. He's gonna get payed a ton by somebody. He's a much better defender than Thompson, but his offensive game is terrible outside of under the net Don't think he's going to get that from Toronto, so maybe a team that's rebuilding. I mean, he's gonna get a lot, but he could be a good piece to a team with a bunch of young players, patrolling the paint, while mentoring or the teams coaching develop the defense of the young players. For example, the Lakers. As BB could help Randle become a better rebounder/defender, and Russel and likely Ingram could work to get better.

Scoots
05-30-2016, 09:17 PM
That's not really saying much, Towns is a beast. Its likely he'll be a 20-10 player with good defense as soon as next year. I agree that there aren't any great centers, but I still don't think Biyombo will be a top 5 center.

It's saying how weak the C position is that Towns was in the discussion as a rookie. He's a beast yes, but the center position is full of "yeah but" players other than Towns.

I don't think BB is top 5, but he's top 5 FA centers so he's likely to get big money.

5ass
05-30-2016, 09:50 PM
It's saying how weak the C position is that Towns was in the discussion as a rookie. He's a beast yes, but the center position is full of "yeah but" players other than Towns.

I don't think BB is top 5, but he's top 5 FA centers so he's likely to get big money.

Is he a top 5 FA center?

Whiteside
Drummond
Dwight
Duncan
Noah
Zaza
-
Ezeli
Mahimni
Jefferson
Mozgov
Speights
Hibbert
None
Plumlee
Dedmon

I think the top section is better than Bismack.

Saddletramp
05-31-2016, 04:50 AM
Well, 16millions/year for Harrison Barns is too much. Barns must be counting on some teams to steal a key player from Golden State.

Barnes wants a max (for him) or as close as he can get. Max players don't get benched in the playoffs for matchup purposes. He just lost a lot of value.

eDush
05-31-2016, 07:39 AM

Barnes wants a max (for him) or as close as he can get. Max players don't get benched in the playoffs for matchup purposes. He just lost a lot of value.His job will be it guard Lebron in the finals and if they repeat as champions, he'll get his max from several teams. If not, he get 9.5m per from the Hornets which is more than free agent to be Williams who got 7m last season :nod:.

eDush
05-31-2016, 07:43 AM

How many free agent centers is better than BB this offseason? He has become the top center this offseason as I take him over Howard all day :nod:.

beasted86
05-31-2016, 09:14 AM
How many free agent centers is better than BB this offseason? He has become the top center this offseason as I take him over Howard all day :nod:.

Drummond, Whiteside, Horford, Howard, Pau, Jefferson and maybe Noah will all be sought after and paid more than him.

It seems you're trolling.

beasted86
05-31-2016, 09:15 AM
His job will be it guard Lebron in the finals and if they repeat as champions, he'll get his max from several teams. If not, he get 9.5m per from the Hornets which is more than free agent to be Williams who got 7m last season :nod:.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Wow, I feel like a fool for replying to anything you've posted..

eDush
05-31-2016, 09:30 AM

Drummond, Whiteside, Horford, Howard, Pau, Jefferson and maybe Noah will all be sought after and paid more than him.

It seems you're trolling.
I take BB over them other than Drummond maybe cause I want guys who can frustrate the King like no other player can. BB has done that :nod:.

eDush
05-31-2016, 09:33 AM
His job will be it guard Lebron in the finals and if they repeat as champions, he'll get his max from several teams. If not, he get 9.5m per from the Hornets which is more than free agent to be Williams who got 7m last season :nod:.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Wow, I feel like a fool for replying to anything you've posted..Yet you did which means you like my postings :nod:

Scoots
05-31-2016, 12:11 PM
Barnes wants a max (for him) or as close as he can get. Max players don't get benched in the playoffs for matchup purposes. He just lost a lot of value.

We actually have no idea what Barnes wants. I don't think he gets more than 18M per from the Warriors ... but I don't think they lower their offer below $16M per regardless of his season.

eDush
05-31-2016, 12:25 PM

We actually have no idea what Barnes wants. I don't think he gets more than 18M per from the Warriors ... but I don't think they lower their offer below $16M per regardless of his season.
So you think less than 2m per was the reason why he rejected the generous Warriors offer when no other Warriors in this talented group has (Klay, Dray, Iggy, Curry(...his last offer that he did not reject)). What makes him so special that he needs to be the highest paid player on this team being the 4th fiddle? He wants the max which why he reject the offer. He just doesn't have the balls to say it like Beal has.

The thing is....a team will offer it to him and he will take over any Warriors offer under 28m as you might assume like you also think he is constantly improving :pity:.

Scoots
05-31-2016, 10:30 PM
So you think less than 2m per was the reason why he rejected the generous Warriors offer when no other Warriors in this talented group has (Klay, Dray, Iggy, Curry(...his last offer that he did not reject)). What makes him so special that he needs to be the highest paid player on this team being the 4th fiddle? He wants the max which why he reject the offer. He just doesn't have the balls to say it like Beal has.

The thing is....a team will offer it to him and he will take over any Warriors offer under 28m as you might assume like you also think he is constantly improving :pity:.

1. We don't know that he turned down the 4/64 because he wanted more money. His agent wasn't the person who negotiated that deal and no agent will ever suggest their player sign a deal negotiated by another agent.
2. If Barnes had a HUGE year he could have massively upped his reputation and guaranteed a max deal.
3. The rest of the league still seems to think positive things about Barnes so he may get a huge deal, but he may choose to stay with the Warriors anyhow.
4. Barnes max is now $28M a year? I thought it was closer to 23.
5. I'm not even sure Barnes is worth $16M a year, but to the Warriors he's special in that he can shoot and he can defend the 3 and 4 well enough, and that is a rare skill set even with all the other issues in his game.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-31-2016, 10:54 PM
Whiteside will be.

eDush
06-01-2016, 03:35 PM

1. We don't know that he turned down the 4/64 because he wanted more money. His agent wasn't the person who negotiated that deal and no agent will ever suggest their player sign a deal negotiated by another agent.
2. If Barnes had a HUGE year he could have massively upped his reputation and guaranteed a max deal.
3. The rest of the league still seems to think positive things about Barnes so he may get a huge deal, but he may choose to stay with the Warriors anyhow.
4. Barnes max is now $28M a year? I thought it was closer to 23.
5. I'm not even sure Barnes is worth $16M a year, but to the Warriors he's special in that he can shoot and he can defend the 3 and 4 well enough, and that is a rare skill set even with all the other issues in his game.
You might be right as I was looking for a reason to offer Barnes a max like contract and I just found it with this link. Look how he blows by his man with that lightning quick move for a major dunk. Only max player can do that :clap:
https://youtu.be/_9R2jZ0_u8k

:dance:

LA4life24/8
06-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Barnes isn't worth the max but he will get it or very close to it. A lot of players are going to take advantage of the cap hike this FA and demand a max and settle for a little less. Set the bar high and snatched anything that comes close will be the way of free agents this summer

ewing
06-02-2016, 01:30 PM
i am surprised when Barnes hits a shot. IDT he's a max guy

central2003
06-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Actually I am serious, I don't know if you remember but Mikki Moore had a decent run during in the playoffs with the Nets 2006-2007 and for that The Maloof's rewarded him a decent contract too rich for a player of Moore's caliber.

eDush
06-03-2016, 05:14 AM
Actually I am serious, I don't know if you remember but Mikki Moore had a decent run during in the playoffs with the Nets 2006-2007 and for that The Maloof's rewarded him a decent contract too rich for a player of Moore's caliber.
They also selected the Jimmer over Klay in the draft too so that tells you something.

beasted86
06-03-2016, 09:55 AM

They signed him to the mid-level over 2 years, and he ended up averaging 8.5/6 on 58% for the first year under that deal. Sorry man, he just doesn't fit here. He's never been paid more than the MLE. Over his 10 year career he made $25M for a $2.5M average. That sounds just fine for a backup PF/C in this league.

JWO35
06-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Charlie Villanueva & Ben Gordon :facepalm: