PDA

View Full Version : '96 Bulls vs. '16 Warriors debate "should" be over by now

Lionel20
05-26-2016, 08:45 PM
1995-96 Bulls combined RS & PS record (88-13) Win% = .871

2015-16 Warriors "best case scenario" combined RS & PS record (89-14) Win% = .864

Sports-Reference uses Simple Rating System (SRS) to rank teams based on strength of schedule and point differential. The higher the better. The '96 Bulls scored 11.80 in the RS, the '16 Warriors a 10.38 in the RS.

SRS 0 = Average

The Warriors path to the finals (assuming they go on a 7 game win streak to finished as back to back champs):

1-R: Rockets SRS = .34
2-R: Blazers SRS = .98
Semis: Thunder SRS = 7.09
Finals (assumption): Cavs = 5.45

Average RS SRS of Playoff Opponent = 3.465

The Bulls path of the finals:

1-R: Heat SRS = 1.46
2-R: Knicks SRS = 2.24
Semis: Magic = 5.40
Finals: Sonics = 7.40

Average RS SRS of Playoff Opponent = 4.125

As I post this the Warriors are currently down 3-1 to the Thunder, even in the best case scenario, the Warriors rebound to beat the Thunder 4-3, and defeat the Eastern Conference Champ in sweep, the cannot top what the Bulls did through the '95-96 season and postseason in my opinion.

Holydiver
05-26-2016, 09:11 PM
this era cannot be compared to that era. that era was like rugby and football. bad boys and knicks absolutely mauled Jordan and Pippen and they still dominated

stephanie would fold like a chair under that torment, same with the other tools

JasonJohnHorn
05-27-2016, 08:49 AM
The Warriors are playing with guys who are playing through health issues. They are also in a league that has 3 teams better than any team in the NBA that season outside of the Bulls (CLE, SAS, OKC).

If Jordan was out the first two rounds, and a player as important as Bogut were playing with a bum knee... that Bulls team would have struggled in the playoffs too.

If the Warriors don't win a title, obviously the 73 wins won't count for much, but it's not like there aren't reasons for this meltdown.

Heediot
05-27-2016, 09:09 AM
The Warriors are playing with guys who are playing through health issues. They are also in a league that has 3 teams better than any team in the NBA that season outside of the Bulls (CLE, SAS, OKC).

If Jordan was out the first two rounds, and a player as important as Bogut were playing with a bum knee... that Bulls team would have struggled in the playoffs too.

If the Warriors don't win a title, obviously the 73 wins won't count for much, but it's not like there aren't reasons for this meltdown.

If they beat OKC this year, they're first true contender opponent in both playoff runs, I will give them respect. If they win the title this year they are worthy of the highest praises. If they fail to do either, I will consider them vastly overrated. I always considered them more of a regular season dominant team with their style of play. In a 7 game playoff series, where match-ups, adjustments, and other dynamics change, give me the Bulls in any era as their style of play adapt to whatever opponent is in front of them.

People also need to stop with the 3 point argument. Memphis was a weak 3 point shooting team, and they were a hobbled squad that took GS to 6. OKC, outside of Durant and a seldom used Morrow have no sharp shooters. If Westbrook and LeBron can find ways to score on GS you cannot tell me MJ won't find a way regardless of 3 point shooting.