PDA

View Full Version : Is Steph Curry's knee slowing him down? Numbers show the opposite

Cramerica
05-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Interesting article from ABC News.

I think for anyone who's been watching this series knows he's off. I would guess part of it is that he's not feeling totally up to par (no one is at this point) and most of it is the Thunder defense.

However, the below numbers say he's more active in terms of running than in previous regular season matchups.

"Curry averaged 4.45 miles per hour in Game 3 and 4.47 mph in Game 4, according to SportVU data here at ESPN. It turns out those numbers are slightly faster than his average overall speed in the postseason (4.42 mph) and regular season (4.32 mph).

So we can see, looking at the big picture, that he's playing faster than usual.

You might be thinking, "OK, but OKC plays faster. That's fudging the numbers." I checked into that too. Curry's speed in three regular-season matchups against the Thunder stood at just 4.28 mph. He's stepping on the gas more now.

Still, this player-tracking data is a surprise. Before looking at the numbers, we might have suspected that Curry would show some sort of downturn on the speedometer."

Link to article: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/steph-currys-knee-slowing-numbers-show-opposite/story?id=39399027

Bostonjorge
05-26-2016, 06:12 PM
No Curry is still elite. If GS was playing the Cavs right now then Curry would be lighting them up in a 4 game sweep. Curry would be on top of the basketball world after easily destroying them and Curry would be headed to the finals. To bad hes playing a juggernaut who just took down a special SA team a round earlier.

Cramerica
05-26-2016, 06:21 PM
No Curry is still elite. If GS was playing the Cavs right now then Curry would be lighting them up in a 4 game sweep. Curry would be on top of the basketball world after easily destroying them and Curry would be headed to the finals. To bad hes playing a juggernaut who just took down a special SA team a round earlier.

I think that's what this article is getting at. They're saying it doesn't seem like his knee is bothering whatsoever and if anything, he's actually running harder and more than he was when he was playing the Thunder in the regular season.

I don't know about seeing Curry light up Cavs in the Finals. Remember last year's Finals Curry struggled through the first 2 1/2 games, missing gimmes and being stymied by Dellavedova. It wasn't til game 4 (maybe midway through game 3) did he turn it on. However, Lebron delivered arguable his best statistical Finals performance. This year, with Irving and Love (depends on which Love shows up) that could be a different Finals team against the Warriors. We'll find out if the Warriors can get past the conference finals.

I think the biggest hurdle Curry has against he Thunder is that the Thunder are shutting down Draymond Ballkicker Green. And that has a trickle-down effect, causing the screens not to work because if the shots aren't available off the screens, then there is no dump-off point to Green because he's deemed himself worse than useless, if there is such a thing. So Curry is left making errant passes or shooting from 50 yards out or shooting bad shots. Then he's got the occasional open shot that he misses and sprinkled with the occasional shot he's been making.

Chronz
05-26-2016, 09:03 PM

You forgot to mention that he breaks the playoff scoring record while sitting out 2nd halves all series.

ClassyAshyLarry
05-26-2016, 09:21 PM
What about... You know cutting and jumping? The stuff that actually matters when your knee/ankle hurt...

That being said I think him being hurt is BS. He wouldn't of came back in game 4 vs Portland if it was ailing him as bad as some people pretend.

ewing
05-26-2016, 09:41 PM
average speed mean nothing. you aren't supposed to go as fast as you can all the time.

tp13baby
05-26-2016, 10:17 PM
MCL sprains have relatively little to do with speed and more with acceleration. I don't really get the point of this article. He looks like he has a slower first step.

Cramerica
05-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Is he still hurt after last night's game?

CHANGO
05-27-2016, 12:39 PM
No excuses. If he's playing he should be up for comparison, fact is that he isn't playing like an MVP. Just like last year's Finals, he hasn't impressed me and have underperformed.

Monta is beast
05-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Speed and burst are two different things but i agree no exscuses

YAALREADYKNO
05-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Is he still hurt after last night's game?

"He's only injured when they lose"
-Charles Barkley