PDA

View Full Version : A Positive LeBron Thread (for once)

Vee-Rex
05-26-2016, 02:08 PM
I am not the biggest LeBron fan around. However, I'm literally quite amazed with his game and I marvel at how terrific he is. It's showing in this Toronto series.

Toronto has made adjustments since game 1 and 2 - they're strongly helping with Biyombo each time LeBron drives around a defender. LeBron has 2 options:

1. Force up a tough shot that is likely to be blocked

2. Pass to an open man

Toronto realizes that LeBron won't force up the tough shot, so they have taken measures in anticipating the pass. And they STILL struggle to stop it. They rotate to where it looks like he'll pass, and he ends up passing it elsewhere. In the span of milliseconds, LeBron has to literally decide to pass between 4 options:

1. Pass to the man in the corner for the corner 3

2. Pass to the man that Biyombo is helping off of

3. Pass to the 2nd perimeter player

4. Pass to the 3rd perimeter player

Toronto has anticipated this and played man-to-man, as well as played hybrid zones to better close out on shooters and go for passing lanes.

Yet LeBron is picking them apart with perfect, crisp, bullet-passes out of the trap to the RIGHT GUY.

IDK if some of you guys are actually watching and analyzing this Toronto series or just looking at box-scores at the end, but this is truly a sight to behold. LBJ is literally chess-mastering the **** out of the Raps defense.

He's also anchoring one of the new sets that the Cavs have not revealed until the playoffs (I swear I've never seen this in the regular season).

Take a look at this breakdown at the end of game 4. The Raps pulled out the W, but that's when I truly began to see how effective this set is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-un7QfDoiOg

The only way that set works is if the person controlling the ball can make the best decisions, and it's as if the game is slower for Bron. It's even more deadly because Bron runs with the 2nd unit (Delly, RJ, Frye) and it's a lot harder for opposing teams 2nd units to defend this well. It also tore Toronto apart in game 5 at the beginning of the 2nd quarter.

If the Cavs are in the finals, you guys are gonna see A LOT of that set there against whoever comes out West. It's not that complicated of a set, but it can be tough to defend.

Anyway, I just felt like making this thread because, even after watching 95% of the Cavs games this year, seeing this play from a player is pretty incredible. LeBron truly has one of the best BBIQ's we've ever had in the game.

lakerfan85
05-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Why did you make 2 threads??

Big Zo
05-26-2016, 02:19 PM
A positive LeBron thread from a Cavs fan doesn't count.

Vee-Rex
05-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Why did you make 2 threads??

Was a mistake, PSD froze when I clicked. Hopefully the other one can get deleted.

ewing
05-26-2016, 02:50 PM
he is a fantastic passer and his ability to hold position or move on just about anyone even if he isn't going to score allows him to really utilize his best skill

MTL_123
05-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Rule 147589-12 of PSD: Never praise Lebron James. Also known as Queen James, LeChoke, Lefraud and anything else that starts we Le

All praise GS and Adam Silver :worthy:

CHANGO
05-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks for trying to start a great post.

I'm sorry for the tools that answered here.

Lebron is one of the best players in terms of BB IQ EVER. He is one of the greatest passers of all time, his game is so underrated that isn't even funny.

Is just not the passes, is the velocity of the pass, the ACCURACY of the pass, the decision making and the time under pressure in which he makes the decision to pass. And sometimes those passes are difficult too.

FlashBolt
05-27-2016, 12:57 PM
LeBron is the highest IQ player ever. I've seen enough to claim that.

Chronz
05-27-2016, 01:00 PM
As good of a passer he is, I feel like he didn't truly develop the game of a PG as much as the Magic comparisons warrant. He wasn't Magic good and the only reason hes a better passer than Bird is because of his playmaking ability more than how he reads/surveys defenses. I mean, he knows hes going to draw attention when he drives and collapses defenses, hes very good at threading the needle but Bird needed even less to get his passes off.

Bron is going to be compared to MJ more than Magic because of his scoring prowess. Hes really just a bigger Scottie Pippen tbh, which may sound like a diss but being a rich mans version of a HOF'er is a compliment in my book. Really wish Bron had better coaching during his youth, someone who told him to stay in the post even if he found it boring. Dude should have been leading the small ball charge instead of discovering it with Miami.

IKnowHoops
05-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks for trying to start a great post.

I'm sorry for the tools that answered here.

Lebron is one of the best players in terms of BB IQ EVER. He is one of the greatest passers of all time, his game is so underrated that isn't even funny.

Is just not the passes, is the velocity of the pass, the ACCURACY of the pass, the decision making and the time under pressure in which he makes the decision to pass. And sometimes those passes are difficult too.

I am very impressed by the velocity...with just the flick of his wrist. And then the accuracy...nobody throws a more on point alley-oop than Lebron, and he throws it from wherever, half court, it doesn't matter.

IKnowHoops
05-27-2016, 01:04 PM
As good of a passer he is, I feel like he didn't truly develop the game of a PG as much as the Magic comparisons warrant. He wasn't Magic good and the only reason hes a better passer than Bird is because of his playmaking ability more than how he reads/surveys defenses. I mean, he knows hes going to draw attention when he drives and collapses defenses, hes very good at threading the needle but Bird needed even less to get his passes off.

Bron is going to be compared to MJ more than Magic because of his scoring prowess. Hes really just a bigger Scottie Pippen tbh, which may sound like a diss but being a rich mans version of a HOF'er is a compliment in my book. Really wish Bron had better coaching during his youth, someone who told him to stay in the post even if he found it boring. Dude should have been leading the small ball charge instead of discovering it with Miami.

He'd probably have 4-5 rings by now had he had Popovich or Phil type coaching, or if he started his career in a large market instead of Cleveland. I think he will be down in the post a lot more over the next 2-3 years and will find out how easy it is for him to score and create for others,once he truly devotes the time to make that the largest part of his game.

numba1CHANGsta
05-27-2016, 02:00 PM
What you Cavs/LeBron fans dont seem to understand is of course LeBron is gonna look good passing the ball to players when he has two all stars and a bench full of shooters to pass to. Steve Nash looked good and won 2 MVP's because he had so many great shooters on his team. LeBron is a PG stuck in a PF's body. He's a special player but only reason why he's accomplished so much is because he left CLE to join two other superstars and then was lucky enough to return to CLE to play for two younger all stars

ewing
05-27-2016, 02:02 PM

Salis wanted Bron to play more without the ball and in the post. I remember him using the old "the ball is a spot light" line. perhaps if he had a HOF coach that he actually listen too.

FOXHOUND
05-27-2016, 02:06 PM

I agree that this is probably his most accurate comparison, although he's not as good on D and better on O. The difference in D is probably more due to intensity and toughness than skill, same as lack of post up ability. I guess that's also partially the difference in eras. Certainly not a slight as Pippen is one of the best players of all time. LeBron's an all time great, for sure. I have him in the bottom half of the top 10 with plenty of good years left.

Tony_Starks
05-27-2016, 02:41 PM
I put Lebrons court vision up there with the likes of J Kidd. He's the rare player that can just take a snapshot of the court and know where the open man is at all times. Plus it helps that he actually enjoys making the pass more than scoring.

He's like LO in the way that I would've loved to see him actually play strictly PG but after Magic I really don't think that will ever be done again. It's nearly impossible.

My only knock is I'd like to see him get his J right as he ages. They're going to start packing the paint more and more as he loses athleticism.

Chronz
05-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Salis wanted Bron to play more without the ball and in the post. I remember him using the old "the ball is a spot light" line. perhaps if he had a HOF coach that he actually listen too.

I remember thinking Silas was the perfect coach to start with but that didn't last long. I dont remember him saying that but it makes sense considering they traded away all their talent for team first guys and an actual PG to get Bron off the position.
2 ways you could look at that, did they get Bron off PG to get him off the ball or did they get rid of guys who look for their own to get Bron more touches as the SF/defacto PG.

Either way, Cleveland really **** the bed with how they built around him. Trying to trick Boozer into taking a team friendly deal was just greedy and the blind man deserved what he got. After that they surrounded Bron with winners before he himself was ready to lead them instead of taking the losses and drafting talent that can grow with him ala Curry/KD.

FlashBolt
05-27-2016, 02:43 PM
What you Cavs/LeBron fans dont seem to understand is of course LeBron is gonna look good passing the ball to players when he has two all stars and a bench full of shooters to pass to. Steve Nash looked good and won 2 MVP's because he had so many great shooters on his team. LeBron is a PG stuck in a PF's body. He's a special player but only reason why he's accomplished so much is because he left CLE to join two other superstars and then was lucky enough to return to CLE to play for two younger all stars

Yeah, the same Cleveland team that made it deep into the playoffs before LeBron came in. The same superstar in Kyrie that couldn't lead his team to the playoffs in the weak East for four seasons. The same Kevin Love that couldn't do the same for six seasons. Anything else you got to say? Funny how when LeBron leaves a team, the w-l dropoff is insanely high. LeBron is a PG stuck in a PF's body who can score, rebound, pass, and defend at a high level. You are just sour he's all that and more.