PDA

View Full Version : Is Hassan Whiteside really a better defender than Rudy Gobert?

Redrum187
05-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Or do you think if Gobert had played in more games, he would have been called on the All Defensive Second team?

What evidence is there to suggest Whiteside is superior to Gobert on the defensive end, if any?

ISIAH_THOMAS
05-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Whiteside was getting abused by Al Jefferson and Jonas in the playoffs. Players with a back to the basketball game seem to trouble him

Dade County
05-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Why didn't you bring up D Jordan name as well? For some reason people dont like Whiteside or maybe its because he's a HEAT player.

Redrum187
05-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Why didn't you bring up D Jordan name as well? For some reason people dont like Whiteside or maybe its because he's a HEAT player.

The team he plays for is irrelevant... it's what people THINK he does for the team that he actually doesn't (at least not to the level they believe).

Most people know DJ's defense is overrated. However, a statistical case (no, I don't mean blocks per game...) can be made that he improves their team.

To me, stats and the eye-test show Gobert is astronomically better at defense than either Whiteside or DJ. They overrate the hell out of Whiteside for his flashy help-side blocks, and DJ on the defensive end, and underrate the hell out of Gobert.

Rather than singing the same song (yall just hate the "HEAT"!!!), why not show meaningful and objective stats that show Whiteside is superior to Gobert on the defensive end?

Dade County
05-25-2016, 10:46 PM
The team he plays for is irrelevant... it's what people THINK he does for the team that he actually doesn't (at least not to the level they believe).

Most people know DJ's defense is overrated. However, a statistical case (no, I don't mean blocks per game...) can be made that he improves their team.

To me, stats and the eye-test show Gobert is astronomically better at defense than either Whiteside or DJ. They overrate the hell out of Whiteside for his flashy help-side blocks, and DJ on the defensive end, and underrate the hell out of Gobert.

Rather than singing the same song (yall just hate the "HEAT"!!!), why not show meaningful and objective stats that show Whiteside is superior to Gobert on the defensive end?

Too much.

I dont mind you bringing up this topic, what i am targetting is why yoy left out D Jordan. To me that doesn't make sense.

Your thread title should have targetted both the centers, but you took the time to only single out Whiteside.

I think the big shock here is that Jordan is ahead of Whiteside. But i do understand that Whiteside man on man D isnt really that great agai st back to the basket players.

But what he does by changing so many players shots, shouldn't go unnotice.

So maybe you should add D Jordan in your post as well.

Slug3
05-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Whiteside was getting abused by Al Jefferson and Jonas in the playoffs. Players with a back to the basketball game seem to trouble him

Whiteside was also playing with a banged up knee most the playoffs till he hurt it worse. But really he still has a good ways to go with one on one defense. But he is still a fantastic rim protector/help defender.

J_M_B
05-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Whiteside post all star break was a completely different player defensively. Miami was a lot better on that end with him ON THE FLOOR.

So if Hassan continues to produce at the level he did from Feburary on, then yes I think he's better than Gobert IMO

IndyRealist
05-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Whiteside just had more hype, and his team did well in the playoffs. When the Jazz make noise people will be on the Gobert bandwagon.

All awards are just popularity contests.

naps
05-26-2016, 10:20 AM
Whiteside just had more hype, and his team did well in the playoffs. When the Jazz make noise people will be on the Gobert bandwagon.

All awards are just popularity contests.

Except those votes were collected before the playoffs. Nice try.

IndyRealist
05-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Except those votes were collected before the playoffs. Nice try.

What I meant was Miami had seeded well in the playoffs vs. compared to Utah. I need to just not PSD today.

ManRam
05-26-2016, 11:36 AM
lol of course not.

Vinylman
05-26-2016, 11:59 AM
It wasn't like gobert was slighted ... he was third in Center voting and was actually 8th overall... they should probably do the voting like the all star and just put the top 3 front court players on and he would have made it.

DboneG
05-26-2016, 01:40 PM
"But he is still a fantastic rim protector/help defender." ........That's it!

Protecting the rim better is what set Hassan Whiteside apart from Rudy Gobert. Hassan has better movement than Gobert, so, he's a better help defender. Don't get me wrong! Gobert is no stiff in the paint. Hassan move a bit better and react just a tad better.

So, yes! Hassan Whiteside is a better defender than Rudy Gobert. One-on-one defense, I think Gobert has the slight edge here. Today's defensive schemes are all about helping out, moving your feet, reacting(drawing fouls). Not too much one-on-one...but, if you have good/great one-on-one defense...it helps!

Defense is all about desire and want.