PDA

View Full Version : If the Warriors lose the series, biggest disappointment ever?

IBleedPurple
05-25-2016, 01:59 AM
Simple question. With the hype, the record, the unanimous MVP, Draymond seemingly avoiding calls....would this be the biggest disappointment ever if GS gets beat?

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-25-2016, 02:01 AM
Yup. You can't have the greatest regular-season ever and lose in the playoffs and not have it be the biggest disappointment in history

FlashBolt
05-25-2016, 02:09 AM
Definitely. I would say the Mavs vs GSW but 73 wins, everyone just assuming they were going to win, the odds were in their favor all season long. It would definitely be the biggest upset. Also, us beating Spurs were an upset to begin with. Us beating Warriors? I never imagined it this way. I said from the Spurs vs OKC thread, I thought Spurs would win. I didn't know everyone would step up the way they did.. We're finally getting everyone involved and that's dangerous.

ISIAH_THOMAS
05-25-2016, 02:18 AM
Unanimous MVP- Check

Best Regular Season Ever- Check

Heavy Favorites to win the title- Check

Yes this would be the biggest letdown in NBA history

More-Than-Most
05-25-2016, 02:26 AM
This would be equal or Slightly worse than the Heat/Mavs Lebron Choke Job in my Opinion.

The only reason is because personally I think this is a more talented all around team than the 90s bulls.

Stunner
05-25-2016, 02:32 AM
Warriors had cake walks the last two years in the playoffs tbh until this okc series .

They got lucky with injuries last year and an overachieving Rockets then this years with injuries and the rockets who were playing at their rightful peak .

Warriors were hell bent on proving their title run wasn't a fluke because of the injuries to many teams and now they face a full strength talented team in a series and we see this .

Maybe curry is banged up who knows but you play to win the game . Biggest disappointment ever especially if they don't even go 7 they might lose in 5 smh

numba1CHANGsta
05-25-2016, 02:40 AM
There have been 19 teams who have won 65 games or more in the regular season, only 4 have failed to win the championship that same year, and if the Warriors lose it would make it 5.

Aust
05-25-2016, 02:46 AM
Yeah, it's gotta be up there. Especially if they lose the series in five. Five!

HandsOnTheWheel
05-25-2016, 03:19 AM
Yep.

joedaheights
05-25-2016, 04:18 AM
This would be equal or Slightly worse than the Heat/Mavs Lebron Choke Job in my Opinion.

The only reason is because personally I think this is a more talented all around team than the 90s bulls.

You're smoking it... All you people have been all year. Michael Jordan in 91 and 92 would be like taking Kobe Bryant, adding by Far the most lightning quick first step anyone 6'6" or taller ever had, adding Bill Russell's determination and heart, and the clutch play of a bird, Havlicek or miller. Larry Bird once said, "when you're at the rim and Michael is coming, it's about the scariest thing you'd ever want to see" and magic said he had the strength of a center. Shaquille O'neal, who was 7'2" 315 with insane explosiveness for his size.. Once said "he does things and you're like 'you can't do dat'". SHAQ said that. This is a man who would routinely dunk with three guys holding on for dear life trying to bring him down.

And the team has Scottie pippen... One of the ten biggest freaks of nature in NBA history who turned himself into a great all around player.

Russell Westbrook is making them look awful. And before you start with "well maybe that's just cause Russell is better than everyone" go watch the 2012 finals.

Here, watch this... Really watch it, then come back with that garbage...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=chOsRrvpnGc

Saddletramp
05-25-2016, 04:22 AM
Of course.

Redrum187
05-25-2016, 05:01 AM
It would easily be the biggest disappointment in the NBA at least in my lifetime. I can't think of any bigger disappointment.

Big Zo
05-25-2016, 06:08 AM
Definitely. But then if Toronto beats OKC in the finals, that would be right up there, too.

PhillyFaninLA
05-25-2016, 06:35 AM
Yup. You can't have the greatest regular-season ever and lose in the playoffs and not have it be the biggest disappointment in history

Greatest regular season ever and best record are not the same thing...what the Warriors did was fantastic and highly impressive but the league isn't as competitive as in once was and they are one of several teams that are just that much better than just about everyone else.

I'll also add, its no the biggest ever. OKC isn't a 3rd rate team with no talent, they are a legit title contender and have been for more than just this year. Toronto beating Cleveland would be a considerably bigger upset.

SeoulBeatz
05-25-2016, 07:30 AM
Definitely. I would say the Mavs vs GSW but 73 wins, everyone just assuming they were going to win, the odds were in their favor all season long. It would definitely be the biggest upset. Also, us beating Spurs were an upset to begin with. Us beating Warriors? I never imagined it this way. I said from the Spurs vs OKC thread, I thought Spurs would win. I didn't know everyone would step up the way they did.. We're finally getting everyone involved and that's dangerous.

Yeah, it's easy to root for OKC, would love to see Durant and Russ win a chip together. They might not be the best fits but their talent overshadows any of their chemistry issues. They have stepped it up big time this series.

PowerHouse
05-25-2016, 08:05 AM
You prolly wont see too many Warriors fans clicking on this thread link. :laugh2:

Obviously it is. Warrior fans dont even have any injury excuses to reach for. Their guys are all out there.

R. Johnson#3
05-25-2016, 08:20 AM
When you look at the awards and regular season record then yeah but OKC has been playing some great basketball. It's not like the Dubs are down 3-1 to the Lakers. They're getting beaten by a team who's clicking and already knocked out the Spurs.

Holydiver
05-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Laughable that they compared this team to the 96 Bulls. They wont even make it to the Finals much less win it.

Jordan greater than Westbrook and this is the same result they would have had if the Bulls played the Warriors especially under 90's rules

effen5
05-25-2016, 08:58 AM
I think the bigger disappointment is if the raps beat the cavs...

I think a lot of people underrated the okc...I mean for **** sake they do have Durant and westbrook....4 out of the 5 best players in the playoffs right now are playing against each other.....

t_money25
05-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Absolutely biggest upset ever. Theyve been the favorites all season long.

FlashBolt
05-25-2016, 08:59 AM
I think the bigger disappointment is if the raps beat the cavs...

I think a lot of people underrated the okc...I mean for **** sake they do have Durant and westbrook....4 out of the 5 best players in the playoffs right now are playing against each other.....

4/5? Durant, Westbrook, Curry, and Dion Waiters... am I right?

t_money25
05-25-2016, 09:01 AM
You must be a Lebron hater if you think the Cavs losing to the Raptors is a greater upset

effen5
05-25-2016, 09:02 AM
You must be a Lebron hater if you think the Cavs losing to the Raptors is a greater upset

You don't think so? That series should have been a cakewalk. There is absolutely no reason that series should be tied 2-2

effen5
05-25-2016, 09:03 AM
I don't see a Durant or Westbrook caliber player on the raptors....I do see LeBron on the cavs.

Tony_Starks
05-25-2016, 09:04 AM
There's this, the Mavs choke against the Warriors, and Miami Superfriends choke against Mavs.

I put that Miami choke atop the list, given all the hype around it and how stacked their team was.

FlashBolt
05-25-2016, 09:06 AM
You don't think so? That series should have been a cakewalk. There is absolutely no reason that series should be tied 2-2

It was supposed to be a cakewalk based on the postseason. Warriors were supposed to walk all over every team outside the Spurs. They were 73-9. They have the unanimous MVP. This is by far the biggest upset in the postseason. They haven't lost two games in a row for an entire season.

Vinylman
05-25-2016, 09:09 AM
There have been 19 teams who have won 65 games or more in the regular season, only 4 have failed to win the championship that same year, and if the Warriors lose it would make it 5.

actually they would make it 6 since SA lost

mudvayne387
05-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Remember how devastating it was when the Giants beat the Patriots in the SB to end their perfect season ?

Now Imagine if the Patriots lost to the Chargers in the AFC Championship, that's the equal to what GS is going through.

ewing
05-25-2016, 09:16 AM
i won't be disappointed

effen5
05-25-2016, 09:16 AM
I don't think anyone thought the gsw were going to walk over the thunder

FlashBolt
05-25-2016, 09:20 AM
I don't think anyone thought the gsw were going to walk over the thunder

Actually, on the GSW vs Thunder thread, only 10% had voted OKC>Warriors. After game 1, some people jumped into the bandwagon and voted the Thunder. So a 90% disparity is pretty high. Also, OKC wasn't expected to beat the Spurs.. in another poll on this thread, it was about 4 people out of 30 voting for OKC beating the Spurs. And in season retrospect, Warriors were supposed to be running through them because they kept saying OKC chokes in the fourth and point out that the Warriors swept them in the regular season. Sorry, but it was supposed to be the Warriors against the Cavs in the Finals since the beginning of the season. Everyone knew that. Now, it might not look too well for both sides. I'm the only OKC fan here judging by the users. I really had no idea we would be playing this well. No one in the world would believe that the Warriors would play this awful. For Draymond to be 2-16 the past two games and have a net rating of -78? No one would have imagined that.

Vinylman
05-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Actually, on the GSW vs Thunder thread, only 10% had voted OKC>Warriors. After game 1, some people jumped into the bandwagon and voted the Thunder. So a 90% disparity is pretty high. Also, OKC wasn't expected to beat the Spurs.. in another poll on this thread, it was about 4 people out of 30 voting for OKC beating the Spurs. And in season retrospect, Warriors were supposed to be running through them because they kept saying OKC chokes in the fourth and point out that the Warriors swept them in the regular season. Sorry, but it was supposed to be the Warriors against the Cavs in the Finals since the beginning of the season. Everyone knew that. Now, it might not look too well for both sides. I'm the only OKC fan here judging by the users. I really had no idea we would be playing this well. No one in the world would believe that the Warriors would play this awful. For Draymond to be 2-16 the past two games and have a net rating of -78? No one would have imagined that.

there is a difference between people picking GS to win and GS Walking over OKC...

its apples and oranges...

OKC has played great and they should be commended for getting rid of Brooks and signing Donovan

TheNumber37
05-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Yeah, and I don't think they make it back.

They'd have to retool heavily with athletes and size. Move on from barnes go to like Nic Batum and even Pau Gasol

effen5
05-25-2016, 09:32 AM
there is a difference between people picking GS to win and GS Walking over OKC...

its apples and oranges...

OKC has played great and they should be commended for getting rid of Brooks and signing Donovan

Perfectly said.

Kyben36
05-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Seeing as the Warriors are now in a hole, down 3-1, and not looking great, would you agree or disagree that if the warriors don't win it all, that the 73 win season is meaningless.

As a bulls fan, i will admit, that i have been rooting against the warriors, both breaking the record, and winning the tittle because IMO, it puts a big asterisk next to the the 73 win season, in that they could not finish it out.

Also, just a little pointing out.....

Bulls went 72-10, but also went 15-3 in the playoffs that year making their total yearly record 87-13

As of right now, Warriors have had 73-9 season, but thus far in the playoffs, are 9-5

total thus far of 82-14

So question remains, if the Warriors don't win, does it null in void the 73 win season.

Big Zo
05-25-2016, 09:46 AM
There's already a thread about the Warriors choking, and what it means to their legacy. Also, the Bulls set the record 20 years ago, when most people on here weren't even born, or were too young to remember.

Dade County
05-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Simple question. With the hype, the record, the unanimous MVP, Draymond seemingly avoiding calls....would this be the biggest disappointment ever if GS gets beat?

No...

Warriors 73 wins will stand the test of time, this series can't take that away. This series has more to do with the league wanting KD to stay in OKC.

effen5
05-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Seeing as the Warriors are now in a hole, down 3-1, and not looking great, would you agree or disagree that if the warriors don't win it all, that the 73 win season is meaningless.

As a bulls fan, i will admit, that i have been rooting against the warriors, both breaking the record, and winning the tittle because IMO, it puts a big asterisk next to the the 73 win season, in that they could not finish it out.

Bulls went 72-10, but also went 15-3 in the playoffs that year making their total yearly record 87-13

As of right now, Warriors have had 73-9 season, but thus far in the playoffs, are 9-5

total thus far of 82-14

So question remains, if the Warriors don't win, does it null in void the 73 win season.

How often does the 16-0 get mentioned?

Unfortunately for me it is meaningless unless they win it all.

Heediot
05-25-2016, 10:04 AM

total thus far of 82-14

It doesn't nullify anything to me personally because I always thought their style of play would dominate the regular season. In certain matchups in the playoffs that style can be effective but GS has trouble with athletic teams. I saw the Twolves OT game against them where the refs tried pretty hard to help GS at the end but GS still loss, Wiggins and Towns athleticism were giving them fits. They are a team that stat geeks love, LBJ is a player Stat geeks love. KLove in Minny was a stat geek favorite. Spurs have always been a stat geek favorite, and LBJ's (first run) Cavs were a stat geek favorite. They can be the best regular season team ever for all I care, but I would take the Jordans Bulls in a 7 game series all day regardless of rules/era. **** the 3 point argument, out side of Durant, how many sharp shooters does OKC have?

I even think LBJ and the Cavs in a playoff series would give some trouble. The only concern is KLove would be a huge liability for Cle defensively. They need to trade him for a more rounded stretch four that can play solid d.

ewing
05-25-2016, 10:05 AM

total thus far of 82-14

yes

ISIAH_THOMAS
05-25-2016, 10:08 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/GSWOKC-15556664/experts-predictions-warriors-thunder Those predictions

effen5
05-25-2016, 10:10 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/GSWOKC-15556664/experts-predictions-warriors-thunder Those predictions

Look at those predictions...nobody thought the thunder were going to walk over GSW

Stunner
05-25-2016, 10:15 AM
No...

Warriors 73 wins will stand the test of time, this series can't take that away. This series has more to do with the league wanting KD to stay in OKC.

Record meaningless

Stunner
05-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Welp , injuries apart of the game

Stephen Curry - G - Warriors
Stephen Curry (knee) is playing "at 70 percent, at best," according to a source of Adrian Wojnarowski.
While unnamed sources dispute the health of Curry's knee, you won't hear Curry, nor head coach Steve Kerr making any excuses. Curry said he was "fine" after Game 4's loss, and Kerr stated that he's "not injured," but Curry's lack of explosion and inability to take advantage of the bigs when they switch on him tells a bit of a different story. To be clear, Curry is in zero danger of spending any time on the sidelines, and the Dubs will need him to look more like MVP-Curry if they hope to secure a Game 5 win when they return to their home court on Thursday.

Alayla
05-25-2016, 10:18 AM
a repeat is a very hard thing to accomplish by setting the bar at that everyone was being unfair to begin with.

ISIAH_THOMAS
05-25-2016, 10:25 AM
a repeat is a very hard thing to accomplish by setting the bar at that everyone was being unfair to begin with.

well this was a prove it year for GSW since they had a cakewalk last season with tons of injured players on teams. People were questioning them and wanted them to prove themselves this playoffs and they finally face a really good healthy team and this is what's happening..

ccugrad1
05-25-2016, 10:45 AM
I think to say if Warriors lose this series is IMO a HUGE slap in the face of the Oklahoma City Thunder. People in these forums are making it sound like the Warriors are potentially going to lose series to a team like Philadelphia or the Lakers.

Let's look at the facts: OKC was 55-27, 3rd in the Western Conference and the 5th best record in all of the NBA; they already had beaten the 67-15 San Antonio Spurs in the series before; they feature a roster with arguably 2 of the top 10 players in the NBA in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

I personally don't really see what has happened so far to be as big of a shock as a lot of people are making this out to believe.

valade16
05-25-2016, 10:46 AM

Not when you win 73 games and not when people are calling you the greatest team ever. That is the expectation. So either we lower our expectations they live up to them.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-25-2016, 10:49 AM
They haven't lost just yet people.

If they come back to win the series, is it one of the greatest comebacks ever?

JWO35
05-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Disappointing, but IMO not the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT EVER

Regular Season Success ≠ Playoff Success

Stunner
05-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Nobody disrespecting OKC tho , we respect them but when you're talking about the hype this team had THE ENTIRE SEASON and what they accomplished It's a major disappointment .

valade16
05-25-2016, 10:57 AM
They haven't lost just yet people.

If they come back to win the series, is it one of the greatest comebacks ever?

After being down 3-1 and losing by 20 the last 2 games? It would certainly be one of, if not the biggest comeback in NBA history. As for Sports history, not sure anything is topping the Red Sox being down 0-3 to the Yankees and coming back to win.

Not only was that an 0-3 hole, it was perhaps the greatest rivalry in all of North American sports and it was to break the curse of the Bambino.

Hawkeye15
05-25-2016, 11:03 AM
I know Curry had a knee injury early, but this team isn't dealing with any injury blows per say, so yes, it would be an epic failure.

MTL_123
05-25-2016, 11:04 AM
This series is far from over but if GS does lose this would probably be the biggest disappointment ever.

Back to Back MVP
Coach of the Year
Best Regular season
Favored to win all 4 games so far "betting"
Predicted to win in 4 or 5

MTL_123
05-25-2016, 11:05 AM
A bigger question would be are people going to discrete last years championship even more now :confused:

Hawkeye15
05-25-2016, 11:07 AM
There's this, the Mavs choke against the Warriors, and Miami Superfriends choke against Mavs.

I put that Miami choke atop the list, given all the hype around it and how stacked their team was.

you left out Sonics-Nugs

numba1CHANGsta
05-25-2016, 11:34 AM
actually they would make it 6 since SA lost

Already counted them, so technically there's two disappointments this season lol

Vinylman
05-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Already counted them, so technically there's two disappointments this season lol

ok... gotcha... I just figured that had been overlooked

If OKC wins the real question is whether a team will ever beat two teams in the playoffs again that won at least 67 games :speechless:

sjbirds
05-25-2016, 12:18 PM

you left out Sonics-Nugs
That was big yes but wasn't that best of 5? So it's a little easier

Vee-Rex
05-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Prior to OKC, GS's opponents' SRS combined to be among the worst ever for a team making a championship run, and that's not even factoring in the fact that EVERY SINGLE OPPONENT had injuries, specifically at the point guard position last year.

Regular season, smegular reason. Who cares if they win a bunch in the RS? This OKC team is the first real team they've played, and they're getting destroyed by them.

Why is this such a big topic? Why are GS getting 'the business'?

Because we glorified them all year. We praised and exalted and cherished and worshiped and drank their bathwater on a nightly basis. We pretty much guaranteed that they were gonna repeat. We declared them to be the best team OF ALL TIME. Curry was being held in GOAT conversations with MJ! We laughed at old-timers, we laughed at these LEGENDS, who said that they feel this GS team could be defended.

If GS loses, whether it's in 5, 6, or 7, this will be the biggest disappointment/upset in the history of basketball. No exceptions. OKC is legit, and that's not taking away from them at all. The disappointment rests SOLELY on how we deified GS, NOT based on OKC's capabilities. So all you people claiming that it's a slap in the face to OKC - it's not. OKC instantly becomes the title favorites if they knock off GS.

The thing is, most people (including the media) are so in shock that they haven't really ripped GS yet. Many still believe GS may win (including myself, it's hard to pick against them, but that goes to show how much brainwashing has occurred these last 2 years for us to think that GS is nearly invincible). I will say this, if GS does not win this series, they are gonna get annihilated in the media more than anyone else, and rightfully so. Doesn't matter if Curry is 70%, 30%, 2%, -50%, tell that to all their opponents who had injury issues last year.

We will see soon enough how this turns out.

joedaheights
05-25-2016, 12:54 PM
You prolly wont see too many Warriors fans clicking on this thread link. :laugh2:

Obviously it is. Warrior fans dont even have any injury excuses to reach for. Their guys are all out there.

True but nothing beats lakers fans. I was in Southern California during the 08 Finals. They hadn't won since SHAQ and they weren't considered the kind of dominant favorites in 08 that laker fans really need to feel like to start talking smack. So even headed into the finals in 08, there wasn't a TON of laker gear out in public.

Then it happened... LA took a lead on Boston and looked really good doing and Laker fans were like "guys, I think it's safe!" They ran to their garages and got their foot lockers full of Laker gear out. The gym, the gas station... Everywhere I went in Thousand Oaks nothing but purple and gold.

Then it happened again LOL.. Boston beat the ever loving crap out of LA and poof, like magic, everyone was dressed normal. Not a single Kobe jersey to be seen anywhere.

Besides you have to admire steph. Unlike creepy fake Jordan, Curry has already won a ring without having the paint dominated offensively for him at all times.

joedaheights
05-25-2016, 12:59 PM

I respect Lebron for what he is... It would be. Durant and Westbrook could both end up top 40 ever and Toronto, relative to the other teams in it.. Really sucks

Jamiecballer
05-25-2016, 01:03 PM
i don't know what i would nominate as the biggest disappointment ever but i wouldn't say this is it. there is much more pressure on the team that wins 73 games.

Hawkeye15
05-25-2016, 01:05 PM
That was big yes but wasn't that best of 5? So it's a little easier

god I wish they would go back to that in the 1st round

Stunner
05-25-2016, 01:08 PM
I think we all gotta thank Lil B for taking the curse off KD without knowing

joedaheights
05-25-2016, 01:11 PM
i don't know what i would nominate as the biggest disappointment ever but i wouldn't say this is it. there is much more pressure on the team that wins 73 games.

It's up there. 94 Nuggets first round, Warriors over mavs, the 99 Knicks entire run with an injured Ewing on the bench.. To me though, number 1 would have to be Russell in 69 on his last legs beating wilt, west and Baylor in 70.. And then the 1977 trailblazers beating Julius Erving would both still have to be contenders

joedaheights
05-25-2016, 01:12 PM
god I wish they would go back to that in the 1st round

Wholeheartedly agree

IndyRealist
05-25-2016, 01:13 PM
I would like to point out that a certain metric no one here likes said the Thunder were even with the Spurs and slightly better than the Warriors. Then OKC tightened their rotation and boom.

joedaheights
05-25-2016, 01:18 PM
I would like to point out that a certain metric no one here likes said the Thunder were even with the Spurs and slightly better than the Warriors. Then OKC tightened their rotation and boom.

What's that?

The Spurs are garbage that was always living off of Duncan ... He looks 90, they lose. A few years ago when he managed to only look 50 in the finals, they won. Duncan was a great C/F ... Aldridge is just a powerless forward

WaDe03
05-25-2016, 01:50 PM
When*

And let's not forget what Scottie Pippens shirt said, "72-10 don't mean a thing without the ring." The same applies here. I'm still not totally convinced the the league is going to let the Warriors lose this series after helping them get 73-9 and the officials have been about as fishy as it gets during these playoffs.

IndyRealist
05-25-2016, 02:26 PM
What's that?

The Spurs are garbage that was always living off of Duncan ... He looks 90, they lose. A few years ago when he managed to only look 50 in the finals, they won. Duncan was a great C/F ... Aldridge is just a powerless forward

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/articles/nba-playoffs-the-okc-favorites-and-the-miami-upsets

PayDaPiper
05-25-2016, 02:46 PM
How can it be the biggest disappointment ever when their playing a team with 2 top 5 players.

Not like OKC is a push over, just have to give credit to OKC for playing out of their minds right now.

That and a combination of the Warriors struggling, its just a bad look right now

Rain City
05-25-2016, 02:58 PM
No.

as stunning as this is, i remember when a 67 win DAL team lost to baron davis' GS in the 1st ROUND! also, when DEN beat the sonics in the 1ST ROUND when they had the league's best record. i think both of those are bigger disappointments. those teams had no business winning. OKC is playing incredible. they took out a 66 win spurs and now dismantling a 73 win team, i don't think this is a GS choke job as much as it is an incredibly talented team and a brilliant postseason coach seizing these playoffs.

krazylegz
05-25-2016, 03:05 PM
No.

as stunning as this is, i remember when a 67 win DAL team lost to baron davis' GS in the 1st ROUND! also, when DEN beat the sonics in the 1ST ROUND when they had the league's best record. i think both of those are bigger disappointments. those teams had no business winning. OKC is playing incredible. they took out a 66 win spurs and now dismantling a 73 win team, i don't think this is a GS choke job as much as it is an incredibly talented team and a brilliant postseason coach seizing these playoffs.

67 isnt 73

was their record the best regular season record of all time by chance?

your confusing upset with disappointment...i think most of you are...might not be the biggest upset ever,not even close,but biggest DISAPPOINTMENT??...how can you argue it isnt??

krazylegz
05-25-2016, 03:07 PM
again,before answering this thread.....separate the word upset from disappointment:)...youll come up with totally different answers

GodsSon
05-25-2016, 03:13 PM

One word.

BIYOMBO!

Vee-Rex
05-25-2016, 03:18 PM
No.

For me, it's less about when they lose in the playoffs. For me, it's more about how we view the team that ended up losing.

That 67-win DAL team was not even close to being considered the GOAT in NBA history. That Sonics team was nowhere near close to being considered the GOAT in NBA history. Neither of those teams broke the NBA RS wins record, and neither team had a higher SRS than these Warriors.

In the last 15 years of basketball, I have never, ever witnessed a team who was as greatly exalted as this year's Warriors. So while those Sonics/Mavericks were enormously disappointing, it doesn't quite reach the pedestal that we've placed the Warriors on. If the Warriors lose, for me, it is by far the biggest disappointment ever.

Redrum187
05-25-2016, 04:07 PM
The 67 win Dallas Maverick team overachieved more than they disappointed. Who was on their roster again?

PG: Devin Harris
SG: Jason Terry
SF: Josh Howard
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Erick Dampier

We did an All Time Redraft recently and only one other player than Dirk was selected (Jason Terry is on someone's bench). That team had no business winning 67 games.

GodsSon
05-25-2016, 04:12 PM
How about Lakers in the 04 Finals against the Pistons?

Four HOF's on that LA squad and they got rocked.

JWO35
05-25-2016, 04:20 PM
again,before answering this thread.....separate the word upset from disappointment:)...youll come up with totally different answers

Can't an upset be disappointing for the favorite though? I'm sure a 67-win team getting bounced in the 1st round will get filed under "disappointing"....its still an upset, but its also disappointing from the Mavs standpoint

Catfish1314
05-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Disappointment is based on expectations. As others have said, did anyone expect the Warriors to dominate the Thunder? Nevermind the 73-win season, the MVP, defending champs, etc. This Thunder team the Warriors have drawn is arguably better than anything the 06'-'07 Mavs or the '10-'11 Heat saw during their playoff runs. If not, they've at least played to that level in this series.

Two of OKC's three wins over the Warriors in this series have not been close. Should the Thunder win Game 5 in convincing fashion, I can see it being said that the Thunder dominated the Warriors en route to a 4-1 series win. That would justifiably be perceived as a disappointment for the Warriors. But if the Warriors win Game 5 and/or Game 6 only to lose a competitive Game 6 or Game 7? To this Thunder team playing the way it is right now? Hard to just straight up say that's a disappointment. That's not giving due credit to the Thunder in my opinion.

Vee-Rex
05-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Disappointment is based on expectations.

The problem is people's expectations change around more than pokemon cards being traded between some snot-nosed kids.

From December-April if all you said was that you believe the Thunder COULD beat the Warriors in a 7-game series about 95% of this forum would trash you. After the 1st round if you said you think the Thunder would be up 3-1 on the Warriors this forum would trash you. I am not lying when I say that.

So to me, it's less about day-to-day expectations, and moreso about the esteem we've held a particular team all year.

Rain City
05-25-2016, 04:43 PM

semanitcs IMO. its a stunner for sure if GS doesnt win it all by how they dominated this season, coming off their 1st title. but i think they're are some prisoners of the moment in this thread when you talk about biggest disappointment ever. the DET over LAL in '04 was incredibly disappointing. i remember it was nearly assumed they were going to get their 4th in a row. MIA losing to DAL was nearly embarrassing how lebron tricked that off. GS over DAL, DEN over SEA.

the leading header of these playoffs should be the emerging greatness of OKC on the verge of dismantling 2 incredible teams b2b. not GS being the biggest disappointment ever. GS and SA lost a combined 3 games. OKC have done that this month in the playoff atmosphere.

Hawkeye15
05-25-2016, 05:01 PM
The 67 win Dallas Maverick team overachieved more than they disappointed. Who was on their roster again?

PG: Devin Harris
SG: Jason Terry
SF: Josh Howard
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Erick Dampier

We did an All Time Redraft recently and only one other player than Dirk was selected (Jason Terry is on someone's bench). That team had no business winning 67 games.

Their point differential suggested a 61 win team, so yes, they overachieved quite a bit. They were like the anti 11-12' Sixers who lost every close game they played in haha, and finished like 8 wins under what they should have

Gene2420
05-25-2016, 05:22 PM
I remember when the Lakers were up 3-1 to the Suns...:(

SLY WILLIAMS
05-25-2016, 05:24 PM
GS has played as well as I expected. I never looked at GS as a great team. I looked at them as a very good team that got on a great roll. Curry has had two great seasons. He has shot the ball as well as anyone I have ever seen the last two seasons. If they lose to the Thunder than they lose to a team with 2 very good players of their own. The Seattle Mariners set the wins mark in baseball and then lost in the first round to the Yankees. GS is not the Jordan Bulls or the 86 Celtics. That is okay because it is a honor to even be mentioned in discussions with those teams.

kobe4thewinbang
05-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Definitely.

The Warriors faced the Rockets again, then Curry had a flash of "Damn...he's that good" in that overtime game (in which the Blazers had a mental breakdown and horrid defense) and then to close out the Blazers, and now they're completely stiffening up against the Thunder, who is beating them at their own game. Fast break, 3's in transition, etc, etc. It's just all coming together for OKC, they're defending well, Curry is getting lazy and just thinking he can make every shot (2-10 in Game 4, ick) and he's supposed to be the great Steph Curry, better than LeBron, blah blah blah. Draymond has no answer for Durant, who is on fire, and Westbrook is even more on fire which was always the problem with OKC before, plus injuries.

I think it's just OKC's time, quite possibly, after injury-laden seasons and a flirtation in the finals.

We're likely going to see either LeBron finally win a ring for the Cavs and for the city of Cleveland or the dysfunctional duo of KD & Westbrook finally win their first 'chip together. It's awesome, and we still might see the Raptors upset the Cavaliers (this series is 2-2! Crazy when Cavs could've won both games) or Steph Curry go into the avatar state or something and win three straight.

I was sad when the Spurs got ousted, mostly due to some BS referees, but that's the breaks.

I'm excited for the Thunder to pull it off or for LeBron, and I think this Warriors team is too lazy at the moment, taking quick shots (the NBA TV analysis, and even comments by Kerr were great), poor defense, fouling way too much. Curry needs to be humbled. Yeah, you can make crazy 3's and look cool walking away after you shoot, but now you're going to lead your team to the most disappointing outcome since...I dunno. Mavs lost to the 8th seed Warriors at the time, but this feels even worse.

They still accomplished a great record, as did the Spurs, but that bravado needs to be taken down a peg and it has been. Plus, Curry can't stop Westbrook, are you kidding?

Very excited to see who wins the finals now, instead of GSW just outshooting people. That gets boring after a while. I also wonder how much the Luke Walton hiring to the Lakers might be messing with the team, and it is possible Steph is not 100%. But again, they're not losing close games here. They just made a run here and there, but eventually got destroyed.

kobe4thewinbang
05-25-2016, 07:23 PM
I remember when the Lakers were up 3-1 to the Suns...:(Yeah and nobody but Kobe could play worth a damn. It would've been fun for them to hold on, but that just showed how pitiful the Lakers were at that point in time, no Gasol, no nothing. Just Kobe being amazing. That series is where my username is from, and I do remember it well. Plus Kobe got fouled so many times, especially hit in the face (no call), utter BS.

It could still happen, because Steph is amazing at times, but I seriously doubt it. Those bidders in Vegas are probably having panic attacks because who would've bet on the Thunder?

Saddletramp
05-25-2016, 07:24 PM
^Dang, K4twb, that's not only the best post I've ever seen you make, but really spot on and well said.

The first one, not the one about Kobe.

kobe4thewinbang
05-25-2016, 07:28 PM
^Dang, K4twb, that's not only the best post I've ever seen you make, but really spot on and well said.

The first one, not the one about Kobe.Thanks a lot! I totally didn't see this coming. I thought GS would make a statement and force the OKC crowd into a collective frown. But yeah, this is a great time to be a b-ball fan. 3-1 is just so hard to overcome. I was happy when Spurs did it against the Heat because despite what GSW's camp will say, it's gotta be disheartening. I think losing game 1 at home hurt the worst.

I hope GSW makes a fight, though. They can get red hot...so we'll see. Klay looked mean in Game 4. I think he might erupt for 60 or something.

kobe4thewinbang
05-25-2016, 07:48 PM
"If [OKC blows a 3-1 lead] Durant and Westbrook will never live it down."-Stephen A. Smith

Saddletramp
05-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks a lot! I totally didn't see this coming. I thought GS would make a statement and force the OKC crowd into a collective frown. But yeah, this is a great time to be a b-ball fan. 3-1 is just so hard to overcome. I was happy when Spurs did it against the Heat because despite what GSW's camp will say, it's gotta be disheartening. I think losing game 1 at home hurt the worst.

I hope GSW makes a fight, though. They can get red hot...so we'll see. Klay looked mean in Game 4. I think he might erupt for 60 or something.

Yeah, the way they can shoot, anything is possible. I wouldn't bet against them and I wouldn't be surprised if they win their next 7 games.

Chrisclover
05-25-2016, 09:43 PM
i won't be disappointed
Why? That is a big disappointment, if not the biggest.

JordansBulls
05-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Unanimous MVP- Check

Best Regular Season Ever- Check

Heavy Favorites to win the title- Check

Yes this would be the biggest letdown in NBA history

Yes this and the 2011 Heat.

ewing
05-25-2016, 10:09 PM
Why? That is a big disappointment, if not the biggest.

cause i am rooting for the thunder

Nikeman
05-25-2016, 10:29 PM

I agree with the fact that the 2011 HEAT was a huge choke job, but that would not compare with the potential choke job if the Warriors lose. That season we were not even the #1 seed in the EAST, and it was the first year of our big 3, and we still had many holes on the roster which were patched up the off-season after. Yes it was a huge choke in the finals, especially by LeBron, but compared to a team that **** on the entire league, set the wins record, and are defending champs, it doesn't compare.

KG2TB
05-25-2016, 11:27 PM
Nah....I think the 94 8th seeded Nuggets defeating the 1st seeded Sonics was a bigger disappointment. OKC has two top five players in the game. Let that sink in....it shouldn't be a huge upset if they win. They may very well have a deeper and more talented team. Not to mention, I still don't think Curry is close to 100%. Even if he is, it wouldn't be as big of a flop as losing to the 8th seed when you're the top seed, IMO.

Dade County
05-25-2016, 11:51 PM

No...

If Lbj didn't avg like 2.4pts in 4 straight forth qtrs against the Mav's; I could agree with you but hell no. That was on Le-Con.

I really can't stand what he did, Lmao.

LA_Raiders
05-26-2016, 12:06 AM
No, OKC is for real

Chrisclover
05-26-2016, 12:23 AM
They are as good as defeated.

ClassyAshyLarry
05-26-2016, 01:23 PM
It is kind of eye opening when you realize this is really the first good team (not injured to all hell) that the GSW have faced in the playoffs. Everyone always talks about how easy the Eastern Conference is, but the GSW have had a cake walk in the playoffs.

And I don't think this compares to the 2011 Heat. Don't get me wrong that was a huge disappointment, but the Heat weren't loaded 9 men deep. THey had also only won 58 games that season.

This would be the biggest choke in my life time without a doubt.... In any sport. Worse than the Giants beating the Pats.

t_money25
05-26-2016, 08:50 PM
It is kind of eye opening when you realize this is really the first good team (not injured to all hell) that the GSW have faced in the playoffs. Everyone always talks about how easy the Eastern Conference is, but the GSW have had a cake walk in the playoffs.

And I don't think this compares to the 2011 Heat. Don't get me wrong that was a huge disappointment, but the Heat weren't loaded 9 men deep. THey had also only won 58 games that season.

This would be the biggest choke in my life time without a doubt.... In any sport. Worse than the Giants beating the Pats.

Agreed!

Chronz
05-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Depends on how you look at it. Magic Johnson and the defending champs losing in R.1 to a sub.500 Rockets team and again a few years later are arguably greater upsets than a great OKC team defeating a historically great team. Its less surprising when you consider who they've defeated already.

ClassyAshyLarry
05-26-2016, 10:07 PM
Depends on how you look at it. Magic Johnson and the defending champs losing in R.1 to a sub.500 Rockets team and again a few years later are arguably greater upsets than a great OKC team defeating a historically great team. Its less surprising when you consider who they've defeated already.

Still think the circumstances were way different. Magic had missed half the season, and he returned sloppy. He wasn't the reigning MVP and his team hadn't won 73 games. I don't think Riley was even coaching yet. If we're going down that route then I'd say the Sonics vs Denver is even worse than that.

Chronz
05-26-2016, 10:18 PM
Still think the circumstances were way different. Magic had missed half the season, and he returned sloppy. He wasn't the reigning MVP and his team hadn't won 73 games. I don't think Riley was even coaching yet. If we're going down that route then I'd say the Sonics vs Denver is even worse than that.
Also mentioned the other Rockets team that beat them.

Either way, does all that really offset them losing to a sub.500 squad as a defending champ? The Sonics were choke artists back 2 back those years.

jason
05-27-2016, 02:29 AM
Easily the biggest

jason
05-27-2016, 02:32 AM

This where I draw the line.. That still has to be the biggest choke easily