PDA

View Full Version : Is Bradley Beal a max player?

Stunner
05-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Bradley Beal - G - Wizards
Bradley Beal said he's looking for a max contract this summer.
"I feel like Iím a max player and thatís what Iím looking for," Beal said. "If Washington canít meet that requirement then I may be thinking elsewhere. Iím pretty sure that they probably wonít [let me go]." Beal would be looking for a deal of around $92 million over four years. His leg injury concerns make him a big risk, so there may not be a big market for him at that price.
Source: Washington Post May 23 - 3:31 PM

I for one don't think he is and rather avoid him .

Very injury prone

Doesn't get to the FT line a lot

Defense is tbh idk of the guy is a good defense he might be average

Playmaking skills meh

Other than being a good 3 point shooter he's a career 42% FG scorer .

Yes he's going to be 23 next season and can get better but his potential prob not worth paying due to Him always getting hurt every 4 weeks .

smith&wesson
05-23-2016, 06:35 PM
"Max player" isn't what it use to be. Only elite players got max contracts, that is not the case in today's NBA. If Chandler Parsons can get a max contract then hey I guess Beal can to.

Redrum187
05-23-2016, 06:38 PM
Yes he is a max contract player in the sense that a team or multiple teams will offer it to him.

Would I give him the max? Hell no...

ewing
05-23-2016, 06:38 PM
he's made of glass. otherwise he would be a building block that any team should want.

warfelg
05-23-2016, 06:43 PM
A healthy Beal is worth it.

However he isn't always healthy. And he's most likely on a minutes restriction for the rest of his career.

TO Rapz
05-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Let me put it this way, if he was healthy, I'd rather give him the max than Derozan.

But he's not healthy, so that doesn't matter. As for your question, is he a max player? No. Does that mean he won't get the max? No. Parsons got a max. There are teams out there that have the cap and are looking to add talent, and that's what Beal is, a talent made of glass.

So he's not worth the max, but someone will give it to him. Whether that's Washington, or elsewhere, is to be seen.

SeoulBeatz
05-23-2016, 07:55 PM
"Max player" isn't what it use to be. Only elite players got max contracts, that is not the case in today's NBA. If Chandler Parsons can get a max contract then hey I guess Beal can to.

Yup. If Beal didn't have those injury issues I wouldn't mind the sixers throwing some money at him. He's a capable scorer who can spread the floor.

But he's too risky of an investment, shame.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Is Melo a max player?

limebalz05
05-23-2016, 08:12 PM
No thanks

TheNumber37
05-23-2016, 08:56 PM
I hate how max contracts have become. There are only a handful of players who deserve max contracts
They are the top 10-20 players in the league, that carry their teams to playoffs off sheer talent

the NBA needs to adopt something like what he NFL does with the franchise tag. ONE MAX contract per team.
that way a MAX contract actually means something to the players, the team, and the other players

Players need to check their egos.

This an offseason where:

Beal, Whiteside, Batum, can all command max contracts despite never played in an all star game.

Then guys like Derzoan who are clearly NOT max guys will get it.

Is melo a max player, today, probably shouldn't be. But within the scope of some of these 20 million dollar deals some players will get he is a historic bargain.

Curry makes 11 mill a year, in a league where derozan and whiteside could sign for double.

Reform is needed. If the cap keeps rising, can you imagine the deals that KAT will sign. 40 mil per year.... at some point, it's too much

TheNumber37
05-23-2016, 08:58 PM
All of these agents in their ear telling them that they are max players.

GiantsSwaGG
05-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Is Tristian Thompson worth 80 mill?

JasonJohnHorn
05-23-2016, 09:46 PM
He has the potential to be.

He is a solid all-around player with good rebounding and assist numbers, and he's a great 3-pt shooter. What else do you want from a shooting guard, other than lock-down D (not sure he's there on that end of the floor just yet, but he's coachable).

Problem: injuries. Is he made of glass, as some say?

He made likely go the next 10 years without more than sprained ankle. He might turn in to Penny Hardaway/D-Rose.

It's hard to tell. People said Curry was made of glass, and that led to him not getting a max deal before he blew up into the GOAT.

I think a 4-year max deal with a team option on the 4 years is reasonable given his level of play/potential. A team could eat a 3-year deal with a team option on the 4th year. Maybe (if possible) give the him a player option for the 3rd year (if he plays healthy for two years he can opt out and get a bigger contract; if he's injured had and opt-in for the third year and get an insurance pay-cheque, while the team won't be committed to 4 years.

It's a hard call, because he is a very good player.

Stunner
05-23-2016, 09:50 PM
His rebounding and assist numbers are average at best compared to other guards

j-bay
05-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Wizards will probably match. Leonsis and Grunfield He is worth it but only when he is healthy. What i would like is

Wall/Backup PG
Beal/Oubre/Satoransky
Porter/Batum/Oubre/Eddie
Horford/Morris/Gooden
Gortat/Horford

Stunner
05-23-2016, 09:54 PM
If I'm wiz I'll look to trade him , anyone think Beal for Okafor is fair Or Beal / Gortat and a pick for Boogie ?

j-bay
05-23-2016, 10:02 PM
If I'm wiz I'll look to trade him , anyone think Beal for Okafor is fair Or Beal / Gortat and a pick for Boogie ?

Boogie as in Cousins. Maybe. I mean the Kings do owe us after we gave them Chris Webber cheap when he was having personal issues.

GiantsSwaGG
05-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Doesn't make sense maxing out a player that will be in minutes restriction for the rest of his career

IndyRealist
05-23-2016, 11:49 PM
Gawd, I don't even know if Bradley Beal should be a starter. He definitely shouldn't be paid a gazillion dollars.

jason
05-24-2016, 12:36 AM
I hate how max contracts have become. There are only a handful of players who deserve max contracts
They are the top 10-20 players in the league, that carry their teams to playoffs off sheer talent

the NBA needs to adopt something like what he NFL does with the franchise tag. ONE MAX contract per team.
that way a MAX contract actually means something to the players, the team, and the other players

Players need to check their egos.

This an offseason where:

Beal, Whiteside, Batum, can all command max contracts despite never played in an all star game.

Then guys like Derzoan who are clearly NOT max guys will get it.

Is melo a max player, today, probably shouldn't be. But within the scope of some of these 20 million dollar deals some players will get he is a historic bargain.

Curry makes 11 mill a year, in a league where derozan and whiteside could sign for double.

Reform is needed. If the cap keeps rising, can you imagine the deals that KAT will sign. 40 mil per year.... at some point, it's too much

This easily makes him the most valuable player right? Lol

Anyways couldnt this be fixed if there was a hard cap and the NBA didn't allow the luxury tax?

xxplayerxx23
05-24-2016, 01:23 AM
Gawd, I don't even know if Bradley Beal should be a starter. He definitely shouldn't be paid a gazillion dollars.

Yeah right he should def be a starter

eDush
05-24-2016, 01:32 AM
A healthy Beal is worth it.

However he isn't always healthy. And he's most likely on a minutes restriction for the rest of his career.
A healthy Barnes is a max player too with that logic:nod:

xxplayerxx23
05-24-2016, 01:40 AM

Makes zero sense , Barnes has always been healthy

eDush
05-24-2016, 01:48 AM

Makes zero sense , Barnes has always been healthyHe doesn't play like he's healthy....that's the point.

Aust
05-24-2016, 02:04 AM
In his 4 seasons he has played:

games, which adds up to 247/328 or 75.3% of regular season games. That averages out to him playing in nearly(61.746) 62 games/season. In the postseason he has played in 11/11 and 10/10.

Going by this, would you be alright with him potentially missing 20 games a season?

Stunner
05-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Not for the money he's going to get paid tbh I rather pay Barnes than Beal and I don't think highly of him either

xxplayerxx23
05-24-2016, 12:22 PM
I'd rather pay beal 30 mill than pay Barnes 23 lol. I'd take beal not sure at max. Maybe it's a huge risk

Stunner
05-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Yea no , I don't won't either but I def not paying Beal 30 million to play 55-63 games a year

blahblahyoutoo
05-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Let me put it this way, if he was healthy, I'd rather give him the max than Derozan.

But he's not healthy, so that doesn't matter. As for your question, is he a max player? No. Does that mean he won't get the max? No. Parsons got a max. There are teams out there that have the cap and are looking to add talent, and that's what Beal is, a talent made of glass.

So he's not worth the max, but someone will give it to him. Whether that's Washington, or elsewhere, is to be seen.

max to me is someone who is capable of carrying any team to the playoffs, 8 seed or higher, with the scrubbiest of teammates (so that removes someone like melo from consideration).
it is reserved for a handful of players in the league and beal is not one of them.

xxplayerxx23
05-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Yea no , I don't won't either but I def not paying Beal 30 million to play 55-63 games a year

I'm not paying beal 30 mill but compared to Barnes at 23 yeah I'd rather have beal at 30. I think if the right team takes the shot on him he might be worth the max, maybe he can fix his injury problems, remember curry was always injuries up until recently. I think someone can fix beal. Me as a knick fan we can't afford to take a shot at him with max money. But I wouldn't cry if we took the shot. Lol

xxplayerxx23
05-24-2016, 03:02 PM
max to me is someone who is capable of carrying any team to the playoffs, 8 seed or higher, with the scrubbiest of teammates (so that removes someone like melo from consideration).
it is reserved for a handful of players in the league and beal is not one of them.

No surprise how dumb you are. Maxes are handed out every year, only Lebron durant and curry maybe geroge (depending on how you view his supporting cast I think it's a solid cast overall but nothing speical so that was impressive) could take a team of scrubs to the playoffs. Nobody else. Beal will get a max along with a bunch of FAs the next two seasons.

xxplayerxx23
05-24-2016, 03:07 PM
The way maxes are handed out someone will give it to him

Stunner
05-24-2016, 03:07 PM
No fixing knee injuries , if he's having problems now he will have them forever . Dude just gets hurt all the time like Eric Gordon

hotdalton18
05-24-2016, 03:10 PM
(null)

Very good defender

In today's NBA he is worth the max

xxplayerxx23
05-24-2016, 03:57 PM
No fixing knee injuries , if he's having problems now he will have them forever . Dude just gets hurt all the time like Eric Gordon

Never know.

5ass
05-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Plenty of teams out there with a lot of money and not much talent. He will get a max, and if he's healthy he's clearly a top 5 SG IMO. Doesn't really have any holes in his game and a very good defender actually.

TheScab
05-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Plenty of teams out there with a lot of money and not much talent. He will get a max, and if he's healthy he's clearly a top 5 SG IMO. Doesn't really have any holes in his game and a very good defender actually.

I'll have whatever you're smoking. No way Beal is a top 5 SG even when healthy (which is rare).

James Harden 29 ppg
Klay Thompson 22.1 ppg
Dwayne Wade 21.4 ppg
Jimmy Butler 20.9 ppg
CJ Mccullom 20.5 ppg

Beal hasn't even averaged over 18ppg since he's been in the league. And his ball handling is some of the worst i've seen for a SG.

xxplayerxx23
05-25-2016, 02:11 PM
I'll have whatever you're smoking. No way Beal is a top 5 SG even when healthy (which is rare).

James Harden 29 ppg
Klay Thompson 22.1 ppg
Dwayne Wade 21.4 ppg
Jimmy Butler 20.9 ppg
CJ Mccullom 20.5 ppg

Beal hasn't even averaged over 18ppg since he's been in the league. And his ball handling is some of the worst i've seen for a SG.

Scoring is not all that matters. I'd take a healthy beal over CJ any day

JLynn943
05-25-2016, 02:28 PM

Yeah, I'd rather throw 12M-15M at Gordon under the new cap than 30M at Beal.

5ass
05-25-2016, 02:33 PM

James Harden 29 ppg
Klay Thompson 22.1 ppg
Dwayne Wade 21.4 ppg
Jimmy Butler 20.9 ppg
CJ Mccullom 20.5 ppg

A healthy Beal is better than McCollum.

IndyRealist
05-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Scoring is not all that matters. I'd take a healthy beal over CJ any day

Both of these I agree with. Yet Beal still isn't a $30m player, and a questionable starter. On a rookie deal, okay. But he's about to get massively overpaid compared to his production. Does he have talent? Sure, but so does Michael Beasley. Beal still hasn't put it together.

There are a ton of cheaper options I'd rather have than pay Beal an absurd sum for a marginal and questionable increase in production. I despise Monta Ellis and hate that he's on my team, and I'd rather have him at $11m than Beal at $30m.

ISIAH_THOMAS
05-25-2016, 02:49 PM
No Beal is not a max player. Young player with a lot of potential who is always injured. This season was his best in the NBA so far, but he only played 55 games. 17 pts 3 rebs 3 assists a game on 45 % shooting. He isn't a good defender either http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/DRPM/position/2 ranked 88 out of 98 of Shooting Guards. You would be paying him off basically of what you think he will become because he isn;t a max value person right now. The one advantage for him is the SG position isn't that great, he's young and has upside and the NBA has a lot of money coming in starting this off season. He might get the Max, but I wouldn't pay him that.

ISIAH_THOMAS
05-25-2016, 02:55 PM
I;d take Middleton over Beal. Middleton nice two way shooting guard.

5ass
05-25-2016, 03:11 PM
30 million? I thought his max was around 23mill/yr....

eDush
05-25-2016, 03:38 PM
A healthy Barnes is better than McCollum. Next?

dhopisthename
05-25-2016, 03:41 PM

it is.

eDush
05-25-2016, 03:50 PM

it is.he thought Beal was a super duper max player or doesn't know the difference...:laugh:

sixer04fan
05-25-2016, 03:51 PM
What's he supposed to say, right before free agency?

"I don't think I'm a max player. I think I should be paid less than the maximum amount I could possibly make. With my injury history, teams should hold back their offers. I don't deserve it."

Lol

5ass
05-25-2016, 04:02 PM
he thought Beal was a super duper max player or doesn't know the difference...:laugh:

are you like 12 years old or just stupid? Posters were saying his max was 30 mill/yr and I said I thought his max was 23 mill/yr.

TheScab
05-25-2016, 07:40 PM

Forgot about Derozan? So then, Beal is still not top 5. Thompson, Harden, Wade, Butler and Derozan are all better overall players than Bradley Beal even excluding their scoring.

5ass
05-25-2016, 07:51 PM
What does Washington do? They pretty much have to match anything because if he leaves they lose their second best player and they're left with John Wall and not much else... I don't think they'll attract any major FAs. KD isn't leaving OKC. Who do they replace Beal with? Despite his injuries, Beal is only 22 years old and hasn't hit his prime. He was killing it when he started the season. 22 year old Beal wad better than any 22 year old SG in the past like 5 years.

At 22 years old:

Demar Derozen: 16.7 PPG 50.3 TS%
Klay Thompson: 16.7 PPG 53.3TS%, still a liability on the defensive end at this point.
Middleton: 12 PPG
Harden is the only one who you could say was better than Beal, but he also came off the bench and played for a great team.
Oladipo: 18 PPG 52.7TS%, he put up stats but played on a terrible team last year and wasn't good defensively I think. Beal had a better season this year. A healthy Beal is better than Oladipo IMO, at least for now. How they develop from here on out we'll see. Beal's injuries might always hold back his development, but if you compare 22 year old Beal to any 22 year old SG the past 5 years you'd be impressed at what he's done so far.

Beal: 17.4PPG 54.7TS%, when healthy a good defender. If he can figure our how to stay healthy he's going to be a really good SG.

5ass
05-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Forgot about Derozan? So then, Beal is still not top 5. Thompson, Harden, Wade, Butler and Derozan are all better overall players than Bradley Beal even excluding their scoring.

Yeah I did. Top 6 I guess. Lol

IndyRealist
05-25-2016, 08:03 PM
he thought Beal was a super duper max player or doesn't know the difference...:laugh:

$30m is the number that came up in this thread, so that's what I responded to. :shrug:

eDush
05-26-2016, 05:19 PM

are you like 12 years old or just stupid? Posters were saying his max was 30 mill/yr and I said I thought his max was 23 mill/yr.
You're still wrong as his max would begin at 21.9 mil per for never doing much of anything noteworthy to the league other than being injured. Never been voted to the all star game nor ever been selected by his peers to represent the all stars in the talentless Eastern Conference compared to the West. He thinks he is worth the max but he's worth maybe 14.5 mil per at most where Curry will get his super duper max starting at 33+ mil with all the Rose Rule triggers he's meeting like flies on fire :nod:.

Stunner
05-26-2016, 06:58 PM
The Wizards are reportedly determined to keep their core of John Wall, Bradley Beal, Otto Porter, Markieff Morris and Marcin Gortat intact.
Beal will be seeking a max deal as a restricted free agent this offseason, and given that Beal is one of the higher upside guys in the upcoming free agency class, he'll likely find a team out there willing to pay him big money. The Wizards will have the right to match any offer that Beal receives on the open market, and early indications are that they will do whatever they can to retain him, despite his constant struggles with staying healthy.
Source: CSN Mid Atlantic May 26 - 4:55 PM

5ass
05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
The Wizards are reportedly determined to keep their core of John Wall, Bradley Beal, Otto Porter, Markieff Morris and Marcin Gortat intact.
Beal will be seeking a max deal as a restricted free agent this offseason, and given that Beal is one of the higher upside guys in the upcoming free agency class, he'll likely find a team out there willing to pay him big money. The Wizards will have the right to match any offer that Beal receives on the open market, and early indications are that they will do whatever they can to retain him, despite his constant struggles with staying healthy.

Like I said if they let Beal go, they might as well trade Wall and rebuild. Wall alone isn't carrying Porter, Morris and Gortat to the play offs. The east is improving and the Wizards are regressing. They'll resign Beal, and he'll get a max.

5ass
05-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Hell even Fournier will likely get a max contract.

eDush
05-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Like I said if they let Beal go, they might as well trade Wall and rebuild. Wall alone isn't carrying Porter, Morris and Gortat to the play offs. The east is improving and the Wizards are regressing. They'll resign Beal, and he'll get a max.Barnes is more worthy of a max than Beal since he plays world class defense and is never ever injured :nod:.

Stunner
05-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Report: Wizards will offer Beal a max deal
According to sources of the Washington Post, the Wizards are expected to offer Bradley Beal a five-year max deal.
We already knew the Wizards wanted to re-sign Beal, but he's been adamant about receiving a max deal and it sounds like Washington will give it to him. His durability issues are a major red flag, but the Wizards don't really have any alternative options and the rising salary cap will allow them to take some risks. He's a restricted free agent, so the Wizards will still be able to match any opposing offers if they change their mind about giving him the max. Free agency begins on July 1st.
Source: Washington Post May 27 - 10:37 AM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
In-season Projections

Sucks for them

5ass
05-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Barnes is more worthy of a max than Beal since he plays world class defense and is never ever injured :nod:.

So enjoy paying Barnes max money, he'll be the highest paid player on the Warriors LMAO... Beal is better and younger than Barnes.

eDush
05-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Report: Wizards will offer Beal a max deal
According to sources of the Washington Post, the Wizards are expected to offer Bradley Beal a five-year max deal.
We already knew the Wizards wanted to re-sign Beal, but he's been adamant about receiving a max deal and it sounds like Washington will give it to him. His durability issues are a major red flag, but the Wizards don't really have any alternative options and the rising salary cap will allow them to take some risks. He's a restricted free agent, so the Wizards will still be able to match any opposing offers if they change their mind about giving him the max. Free agency begins on July 1st.
Source: Washington Post May 27 - 10:37 AM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
In-season Projections

Sucks for them
That tells me that the Wiz organization are wuss when it comes to handing out max contracts to players who ask for it but don't deserve it. Watch what the Dubs do when Barnes demand his max this off season...we will **** his a@@ to the curb then succumb to any players demand just to keep our nucleus together. We didn't give Klay or Dray the max they wanted but a home town discount and they took it. Iggy took less to sign here too. It will be the same with Curry as we will offer a hometown discount like around 28+ mil instead of 33+ mil and he will take it cause we are a world class organization that dictate who gets what and don't succumb to players demands. That's how you run a successful business...just ask Lacob :nod:.

If KD wants to come play for us, he will need to take a pay cut too and like it cause we are THAT GOOD!! :clap:.

:dance:

eDush
05-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Barnes is more worthy of a max than Beal since he plays world class defense and is never ever injured :nod:.

So enjoy paying Barnes max money, he'll be the highest paid player on the Warriors LMAO... Beal is better and younger than Barnes.
I said Barnes is more deserving of the max than Beal, I didn't say he would get it nor would he from my Dubs unlike the Wiz that would give everyone of their starters a max if they demand it :laugh2: