PDA

View Full Version : What'd be more impressive: Cavs 16-0 (57/25) or GSW 16-4 (73/9)

JasonJohnHorn
05-20-2016, 05:23 PM
A ring's a ring, but the way you go about it makes a difference in the eyes of fans. The Warriors win last year was incredible, but some downplayed the accomplishment (unjustly) due to injuries suffered by other teams around the league.

People also look at records and winning percentage.

Right now the Cavs are on pace to sweep their way to the finals. Though unlikely, they still potentially hold a perfect record throughout the playoffs, despite a good but not terribly impressive regular season record. The Warriors won't go 16-0 (16-3 is the best potential finish), but they do have the most impressive regular season record ever.

So which would you be more impressed by?

SpeedHawksTv
05-20-2016, 05:36 PM
I say GSW because it would symbolize the NBA turning over a new leaf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanG
05-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Warriors, easily.

4-0 sweep in the Finals would be the only impressive thing about Clevelands run. There are 3 other teams in the NBA that would sweep the East.

More-Than-Most
05-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Let me just make sure I am understanding this.. The warriors would be more impressive because they are in the west and anybody can sweep the east yada yada yada? But in the regular season the west had 2 legit teams where it was a known fact that the east was deeper BUT THIS DOESN'T MATTER CONSIDERING WE ARE USING THE WARRIORS REGULAR SEASON AS AN EXAMPLE WHERE THEY PLAYED MOST OF THOSE SAD WEST TEAMS WHILE THE CAVS WERE GOING AGAINST A DEEPER NON TOP HEAVY CONFERENCE IN THE REGULAR SEASON? :rolleyes:

Tony_Starks
05-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Cavs ain't sweepin the finals bruh.....

OceanSpray
05-20-2016, 07:46 PM
It's equally as impressive depending on how you look at it. A ring vs the best record but your best record is going to have an asterisk if you don't win the championship. On the other hand, Cavs looked like they were going to lose to either the Spurs or Warriors but have climbed up to that elite status. Idk, I think the Cavs turnaround is quite impressive. They look like a completely new team.

Aust
05-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Warriors.

But sweeping one of the greatest teams ever would be pretty damn impressive.

mrblisterdundee
05-20-2016, 08:54 PM
The Cavaliers sweeping the Golden State Warriors in the Finals would be more impressive. It would hollow out that historic season of theirs quite a bit.

CHANGO
05-20-2016, 09:11 PM
So let me get this straight...

The mighty Warriors with a record of 73-9 going 16-4 to win the title, winning in 5 against OKC and 5 against the Cavs on the Finals, would be more impressive than the Cavs sweeping the East with a record of 12-0 and then sweeping THE MIGHTY WARRIORS with a record of 73-9 (one of the best teams in NBA history) to win a title?

That doesn't make ANY DAMN SENSE.

If a team is that good to go 73-9 on the season and then other team sweep the **** out of them, that's impressive, and then you add a record of 12-0 for the rest of the postseason and that's not even an argument.

This people man...

Sofnr
05-20-2016, 09:32 PM
So let me get this straight...

The mighty Warriors with a record of 73-9 going 16-4 to win the title, winning in 5 against OKC and 5 against the Cavs on the Finals, would be more impressive than the Cavs sweeping the East with a record of 12-0 and then sweeping THE MIGHTY WARRIORS with a record of 73-9 (one of the best teams in NBA history) to win a title?

That doesn't make ANY DAMN SENSE.

If a team is that good to go 73-9 on the season and then other team sweep the **** out of them, that's impressive, and then you add a record of 12-0 for the rest of the postseason and that's not even an argument.

This people man...

This. It's not going to happen. But if the Cavs manage to sweep the Warriors then I think you have to throw out the weaker conference argument. They would have swept what some consider an all time great team.

Allphakenny1
05-20-2016, 10:16 PM
16-0 is far more impressive because it has never been done before. Even though the competition in the east is ridiculously weak; I feel the Warriors, Thunder, and Spurs could also be 12-0. If they sweep the finals, it completely validates the entire run.

If the Cavs went 16-2 it could be looked at as weaker than the Warriors 16-4, but not 16-0. This is due in part because the east is so weak, and partially because of Curry being injured. If healthy the Warriors most likely sweep the first two rounds.

numba1CHANGsta
05-20-2016, 11:04 PM
LMAO Cavs have ZERO chance going 16-0

JasonJohnHorn
05-21-2016, 12:32 AM
Let me just make sure I am understanding this.. The warriors would be more impressive because they are in the west and anybody can sweep the east yada yada yada? But in the regular season the west had 2 legit teams where it was a known fact that the east was deeper BUT THIS DOESN'T MATTER CONSIDERING WE ARE USING THE WARRIORS REGULAR SEASON AS AN EXAMPLE WHERE THEY PLAYED MOST OF THOSE SAD WEST TEAMS WHILE THE CAVS WERE GOING AGAINST A DEEPER NON TOP HEAVY CONFERENCE IN THE REGULAR SEASON? :rolleyes:

So the Warriors having to deal with a 67-win team and two 50-win teams is less impressive than the Cavs dealing with on 50-win team in a conference where the worst team was 7 games worse that the worse team in the West?

Count up the wins in each conference and let me know which side got more wins ;)

More-Than-Most
05-21-2016, 12:55 AM
So the Warriors having to deal with a 67-win team and two 50-win teams is less impressive than the Cavs dealing with on 50-win team in a conference where the worst team was 7 games worse that the worse team in the West?

Count up the wins in each conference and let me know which side got more wins ;)

so total wins counts? or are you just trying not to follow the argument? 1 team has 67 wins and the other has 73.... Again top heavy... Unless the warriors play the spurs/thunder/clippers 15 times a year each its irrelevent.... Overall the east this year was a more well rounded conference.... Now add in the fact that the cavs would be going 16 and 0 and sweeping that 73 win team.... Its not going to happen but the argument for the warriors is moronic and ******** in this thread.... If the cavs sweep them which again isnt happening they would be sweeping the 73 win team.... Why is this so hard to understand?

More-Than-Most
05-21-2016, 12:57 AM
The only argument for it not being more impressive would be if the warriors lose to the thunder and the cavs sweep the thunder because then people could argue the cavs didnt actually play the most talented team.

Scoots
05-21-2016, 01:13 AM
Warriors ... 73-9 followed by a title will always look more impressive. History seems to care more about regular season records followed by a title. The Cavs would be noted as winners and in dominant fashion, but always as a "but what about the 2016 Cavs" part of the argument while the Warriors would automatically be included in the list of greatest seasons ever. Like the 2001 Lakers vs the 1996 Bulls.

mrblisterdundee
05-21-2016, 02:12 AM
People might be overthinking this thread. We're not talking about chances. We're taking about if a definite event happens, regardless of the chances. If the Cleveland Cavaliers manage to sweep the Golden State Warriors in the finals, regardless of the chances of such an event occurring, that would be more impressive than the Warriors' 73 wins. People would remember the Cavaliers sweeping the entire playoffs more than a team doing really great when a championship wasn't directly on the line.

Tony_Starks
05-21-2016, 11:27 AM
People might be overthinking this thread. We're not talking about chances. We're taking about if a definite event happens, regardless of the chances. If the Cleveland Cavaliers manage to sweep the Golden State Warriors in the finals, regardless of the chances of such an event occurring, that would be more impressive than the Warriors' 73 wins. People would remember the Cavaliers sweeping the entire playoffs more than a team doing really great when a championship wasn't directly on the line.

Except you have to factor in the chances because the Warriors have a very good shot at winning it all, while it is all but impossible the Cavs sweep the finals. The only chance that happens is injury and probably not even then...

CHANGO
05-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Except you have to factor in the chances because the Warriors have a very good shot at winning it all, while it is all but impossible the Cavs sweep the finals. The only chance that happens is injury and probably not even then...

But we are not talking about chances here, we are talking about a definitive event occurring in which case, the answer is obvious.

nastynice
05-21-2016, 06:05 PM
I'd say equally impressive, both would be historic runs in their own right, and each would be a first

Scoots
05-21-2016, 06:21 PM
1996 Bulls vs 2001 Lakers ... Bulls are an automatic all-time team, Lakers have to be explained for people to understand the significance.

IKnowHoops
05-21-2016, 06:36 PM
1996 Bulls vs 2001 Lakers ... Bulls are an automatic all-time team, Lakers have to be explained for people to understand the significance.

But 2001 Lakers didn't sweep and the didn't beat a 73 win team in that sweep to win a ring. The Bulls are a great example of what it would feel like for the Warriors, but the Lakers would of had to sweep the playoffs and sweep that 72 win bulls team to be able to represent what we are talking about here.

Just thinking about that 2001 Lakers team, had they swept that 72 win bulls team to win a ring, I don't think there is any doubt that that Lakers team with Shaq and Kobe would be regarded as the greatest team in history. Even if the Bulls had won 71 the year before and won the ring that same year.

CHANGO
05-21-2016, 07:01 PM

You are comparing apples with oranges...

You talk about the 1996 Bulls being remembered as one of the best teams ever but that's because they won the championship. The closed the deal, take away that ring and we would be talking about the biggest choke ever and how they lost to a lesser team on the Finals.

You talk about the 2001 Lakers but again, they weren't 16-0 in their run, they went 16-1. And they didn't beat a 72-10 team or 73-9.

If this scenario happened, (Cavs 16-0 sweeping a 73-9 team on the Finals) that would be more impressive than anything.
a) They would accomplish something NO OTHER TEAM HAVE DONE.
b) And also sweeping one of the best NBA teams ever (by record).

It shouldn't be even a question.

CHANGO
05-21-2016, 07:02 PM
But 2001 Lakers didn't sweep and the didn't beat a 73 win team in that sweep to win a ring. The Bulls are a great example of what it would feel like for the Warriors, but the Lakers would of had to sweep the playoffs and sweep that 72 win bulls team to be able to represent what we are talking about here.

Just thinking about that 2001 Lakers team, had they swept that 72 win bulls team to win a ring, I don't think there is any doubt that that Lakers team with Shaq and Kobe would be regarded as the greatest team in history. Even if the Bulls had won 71 the year before and won the ring that same year.

^^
What he said... You beat me to...

Jamiecballer
05-21-2016, 09:26 PM
This is a really strange thread topic and imo the 73 wins is a far more impressive achievement

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

ghettosean
05-21-2016, 10:58 PM
/thread

PayDaPiper
05-21-2016, 11:09 PM
If you switch Warriors and Cavs for the playoffs, how do you think they would have done.

I would have the Warriors 12-0 into the finals.

Cavs win 4-1 Houston
Cavs win 4-2 Portland
Thunder beat Cavs 4-3

In my opinion.. obviously I have either the Warriors or Thunder beating the Cavs in finals. Warriors in 6, Thunder in 7

Scoots
05-21-2016, 11:10 PM

I know, it's just that technical aspects of title wins don't really ring particularly throughout history. Overall record is one of the things that does. Most people don't know about the teams with the biggest upsets, the are more likely to remember the choking team that was upset.

All moot now.

Bigbadmoffo
05-22-2016, 12:31 AM
Close thread cause the raps just smoked them.

lol, please
05-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Close thread cause the raps just smoked them.

Raptors had a game for the ages.

Their fans deserve to be proud right now.

A legendary performance from Biyombo on the glass, and Lowry and DeRozan both show up and lead this team offensively. The bench all around came through big in spots, and Cleveland looked lost out there for most of the game.

Say what you will about this Raptors team, when they have needed to win, they have during these playoffs.

LA_Raiders
05-22-2016, 12:59 AM
It is over, Raps beat them up...

Raps08-09 Champ
05-22-2016, 03:21 AM
Sweeping the Warriors would be incredible, but they already lost 1. But still, if they swept in the finals against the Warriors, that would be something.

effen5
05-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Definitely not the cavs...they've had an easy playoffs so far. While the Warriors are good...only thing I've been impressed by them is stephs OT game.

Jamiecballer
05-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Raptors had a game for the ages.

Their fans deserve to be proud right now.

A legendary performance from Biyombo on the glass, and Lowry and DeRozan both show up and lead this team offensively. The bench all around came through big in spots, and Cleveland looked lost out there for most of the game.

Say what you will about this Raptors team, when they have needed to win, they have during these playoffs.
Could you do us a favor and stop trolling us please?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

TrueFan420
05-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Definitely not the cavs...they've had an easy playoffs so far. While the Warriors are good...only thing I've been impressed by them is stephs OT game.

What about his 15 points in 2 minutes in the 3rd? Or the fact that they still managed win when he went down. Klay was averaging 30 points on crazy percentages think it was 50/40/90.

Tony_Starks
05-22-2016, 11:28 AM
A dream....a simple fantasy...

lol, please
05-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Could you do us a favor and stop trolling us please?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
My posts have all been earnest so I won't take you seriously here, sorry. Most people have zero issues with fans of other teams rooting for their teams success in high moments. I have two good friends who are passionate raptor fans and I have waited a long time for this. Perfectly within my rights to do so and I will continue until the run is over.

sent from my Note 5 on Tapatalk

Vinylman
05-22-2016, 12:37 PM
But we are not talking about chances here, we are talking about a definitive event occurring in which case, the answer is obvious.

so a circle jerk...

got it

CHANGO
05-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Even if the Cavs lost this game and then sweep the W's that would be more impressive. Sweeping a 73-9 team to win the Finals is the key...

lol, please
05-22-2016, 01:26 PM
Even if the Cavs lost this game and then sweep the W's that would be more impressive. Sweeping a 73-9 team to win the Finals is the key...

So, Toronto won't win another game? I can't wait to come find this post after Monday.

CHANGO
05-22-2016, 05:52 PM
So, Toronto won't win another game? I can't wait to come find this post after Monday.

If that happens I will pay college for you my dear friend. Because you really need some reading comprehension skills. I'll gladly pay for that. Just for your sake.

:cheers:

Scoots
05-22-2016, 05:59 PM
If that happens I will pay college for you my dear friend. Because you really need some reading comprehension skills. I'll gladly pay for that. Just for your sake.

:cheers:

Did you just offer to pay for college tuition for someone if the Cavs lose again? That's a BOLD bet. Not because you are likely to have to pay out, but just because that can be a VERY big tab.