PDA

View Full Version : Lakers #2 pick for Okafor?! Ftw?

satisol7
05-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Been hearing some chatter of the Lakers trading away the #2 for Okafor from the Sixers. I know he put up some good numbers this rookie season but I'm not sure I'd do this trade if I were the lakers. I think simmons and Ingram have a bigger upside than Okafor. What u guys think?

eDush
05-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Okafor and Randell are like twins...good post game and rebounder but slow footed and bad defender.

Lakers knows this so where are these chatters coming from?

Rush
05-20-2016, 02:25 AM
Please make sure you cite reputable source when making threads like this. Thank you.

jerellh528
05-20-2016, 03:08 AM
Okafor and Randell are like twins...good post game and rebounder but slow footed and bad defender.

Lakers knows this so where are these chatters coming from?

Randle doesn't have a good post game, okafor isn't a good rebounder, Randle isn't slow footed, both bad defenders though lol. They don't have the same games at all, but they don't compliment each other's games in the slightest...
Anyways, this isn't even a real rumor, I think OP is baiting. I would throw up if they traded the number 2 for okafor

SeoulBeatz
05-20-2016, 04:06 AM
Randle doesn't have a good post game, okafor isn't a good rebounder, Randle isn't slow footed, both bad defenders though lol. They don't have the same games at all, but they don't compliment each other's games in the slightest...
Anyways, this isn't even a real rumor, I think OP is baiting. I would throw up if they traded the number 2 for okafor

Yeah the OP source is bs.

The writer said the Sixers should consider packaging the #1 pick AND Okafor for a seasoned vet like Jeff Teague. No joke, Jeff Teague.

The Lakers would be silly to do this, both Simmons and Ingram have more potential than Oak. If they were to trade the #2 pick it would be for a bonafide star.

I see the Sixers moving Oak to Boston for #3 and Avery Bradley. That was the deal that fell apart at the deadline and it makes complete sense now that the draft order is set.

This way the Celts get a young big prospect to build around while the Sixer's can get a couple guards to add to their frontcourt heavy roster.

Since Ben Simmons would be handling the rock a lot from the SF or PF position it makes sense to draft an off ball guard combo guard who can shoot like Murray at #3.

Jamal Murray/ T.J Mcconell/ #24 pick?
Avery Bradley/ Robert Covington/ Nik Stauskus
Ben Simmons/ Jerami Grant/ #26 pick?
Dario Saric/ Richaun Holmes
Nerlens Noel/ Joel Embiid

More-Than-Most
05-20-2016, 04:35 AM
To get that 2nd pick as well I think id offer Oka and our 2 late first rounders or OKA and the lakers unprotected pick back..... I think we are over paying because I think OKA has a ton of ****ing value but if it gets us both ingram/simmons **** it lol.... I am also ok with trading OKA to boston because I have a feeling the moronic front office of the lakers will select someone like Dunn/Bender and pass on Ingram if we take simmons and I dont want to see Simmons in a celtics uniform lol

Aust
05-20-2016, 04:41 AM
Clarkson, Randle and Okafor would give us the worst D in NBA history. If I had to trade the #2, I'd prefer Noel. Really like him.

More-Than-Most
05-20-2016, 05:00 AM
Clarkson, Randle and Okafor would give us the worst D in NBA history. If I had to trade the #2, I'd prefer Noel. Really like him.

No offense man I just dont trust your front office right now.... I am just so worried you guys are gonna ****ing pass on ingram and take dunn and ingram will go to the celtics.

No reason to trade the pick lol... Just take ingram or simmons

Aust
05-20-2016, 05:10 AM
No offense man I just dont trust your front office right now.... I am just so worried you guys are gonna ****ing pass on ingram and take dunn and ingram will go to the celtics.

I know, I'm a little scared too that we might do something stupid.

Thankfully Kupchak went on the radio and basically made it sound like trading the pick was unlikely, but he also apparently mentioned this:
In a draft that is considered by most to have two clear top talents (although Kupchak himself said he wasn't sure the gap between two and three was as large as most think), the second overall pick is a great spot to be.

SeoulBeatz
05-20-2016, 05:31 AM

No way that happens. Lakeshow will take Ingram. I've seen they are considering trading the pick for a star like Cousins or Butler but I think they're better off taking Ingram and growing that core of DLo, Clarkson, Ingram, and Randle. That team won't be in the playoffs but it's a process, this is what tanking *cough* I mean "rebuilding" is all about.

Patience my friends.

eDush
05-20-2016, 06:17 AM

The writer said the Sixers should consider packaging the #1 pick AND Okafor for a seasoned vet like Jeff Teague. No joke, Jeff Teague.

The Lakers would be silly to do this, both Simmons and Ingram have more potential than Oak. If they were to trade the #2 pick it would be for a bonafide star.

I see the Sixers moving Oak to Boston for #3 and Avery Bradley. That was the deal that fell apart at the deadline and it makes complete sense now that the draft order is set.

This way the Celts get a young big prospect to build around while the Sixer's can get a couple guards to add to their frontcourt heavy roster.

Since Ben Simmons would be handling the rock a lot from the SF or PF position it makes sense to draft an off ball guard combo guard who can shoot like Murray at #3.

That's why my first post ask if the Lakers really wanted Okafor, why didn't they draft him last season instead of D'Angelo which was deleted while the op post wasn't deleted by not providing any source from so called chatter whatsoever other then asking an obvious bait question. Can you imagine if we have tons of dumb threads like this. He should of started this as in his opinion and I wouldn't have bothered to respond :(

PhillyFaninLA
05-20-2016, 06:36 AM

I like him a lot as well. A good number of people watch his offense and talk about him being overrated. He has consistent DPOY potential.

For the record I don't believe the below will happen, I'm just following the conversation and creating a what if that isn't impossible.

With that said if the Lakers would trade the 2nd pick for Noel and the rights to the Lakers pick then I'd be ok with that. But I'd also want it to be contingent upon us trading Okafor to either Boston for 3 and ?, and see if we can use Saric to get pick 4 (no sure what that deal would look like.

Our starting 5 would be:

Dunn, Murray, Ingram, Simmons, and one of Zimmerman, Diallo, Stone, Jones, Ellenson, Deyonta Davis if you can figure that out (Emibiid if healthy, but if minutes are limited or he has a setback)

Teeboy1487
05-20-2016, 07:01 AM
Would rather Ingram.

warfelg
05-20-2016, 07:06 AM
Here's the best source to the news that I could find:
http://en.yibada.com/articles/124668/20160519/lakers-trade-rumors-jahlil-okafor-la-predicted-swap-2nd-pick.htm

And yibada is a joke. So file under false rumor for now.

SeoulBeatz
05-20-2016, 07:09 AM
I like him a lot as well. A good number of people watch his offense and talk about him being overrated. He has consistent DPOY potential.

For the record I don't believe the below will happen, I'm just following the conversation and creating a what if that isn't impossible.

With that said if the Lakers would trade the 2nd pick for Noel and the rights to the Lakers pick then I'd be ok with that. But I'd also want it to be contingent upon us trading Okafor to either Boston for 3 and ?, and see if we can use Saric to get pick 4 (no sure what that deal would look like.

Our starting 5 would be:

Dunn, Murray, Ingram, Simmons, and one of Zimmerman, Diallo, Stone, Jones, Ellenson, Deyonta Davis if you can figure that out (Emibiid if healthy, but if minutes are limited or he has a setback)

Yeah I REALLY want that trade to happen. I'm a big fan of Murray's game. We'll desperately need floor spacing with Noel and Simmons (Saric and Embiid are capable out to 3 point range but we have NO consistent shooter's currently on the roster).

And yeah, I don't think the Laker's would give up the #2 alone for Noel, Ingram has a higher ceiling.

Iron24th
05-20-2016, 08:02 AM
Lol you guys are creating stories out of nothing, Lakers will take Ingram, end of story.

hugepatsfan
05-20-2016, 10:04 AM

I had always thought of #3 and Smart for Okafor. Interesting to see it proposed with Bradley instead. I actually think it makes more sense for you guys because he can shoot. Defensively Bradley probably isn't as versatile as Smart, who can guard most 3s but he is obviously elite vs. guards. The one drawback looking at your lineup is that Bradley can't handle offensive PG duties at all. So with Murray and Bradley you guys might struggle with handling the rock since neither has true PGs. Smart over Bradley would help with that but hurt the shooting.

I'd do the deal either way - #3 with either Smart/Bradley but just curious for what you prefer and your reasoning behind it.

Tony_Starks
05-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Lol you guys are creating stories out of nothing, Lakers will take Ingram, end of story.

Yep. Will be the best SF we had since Ariza.

koreancabbage
05-20-2016, 11:14 AM

give us #1 and Okafor for Lowry.

Done deal. =D

mrblisterdundee
05-20-2016, 12:14 PM
I don't see why the Lakers would trade away a top-two pick for a so-so post player when they have a very strong history of signing all-star centers in free agency. It's more likely they add Hassan Whiteside.

LA4life24/8
05-20-2016, 04:59 PM
No. Just no. This won't happen. They might be dumb enough MIGHT to take dunn over Ingram (Obviously if the sixes don't take him) but they will not trade for a player they could have just picked last year. DUMB.

I could see them trading oak to Boston for the #3 forreal if embiid really is healthy. They could then take Simmons and dunn or Ingram and dunn. That's a good deal for the 6ers who's Frontline is overloaded atm.

SeoulBeatz
05-20-2016, 07:00 PM
I had always thought of #3 and Smart for Okafor. Interesting to see it proposed with Bradley instead. I actually think it makes more sense for you guys because he can shoot. Defensively Bradley probably isn't as versatile as Smart, who can guard most 3s but he is obviously elite vs. guards. The one drawback looking at your lineup is that Bradley can't handle offensive PG duties at all. So with Murray and Bradley you guys might struggle with handling the rock since neither has true PGs. Smart over Bradley would help with that but hurt the shooting.

I'd do the deal either way - #3 with either Smart/Bradley but just curious for what you prefer and your reasoning behind it.

Yeah I think the deal was for #3 and either Smart or Bradley.

I actually like Smart more, especially after what i saw from him in playoffs, but I think Sixer's brass thinks Bradley fits the team better. We need guys who can space the floor a bit for our frontcourt.

Hopefully the deal gets done.

Teeboy1487
05-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Wish Noel was a free agent. He is literally the missing piece to the puzzle once the Lakers draft Ingram.

eDush
05-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Wish Noel was a free agent. He is literally the missing piece to the puzzle once the Lakers draft Ingram.I doubt flat top is the missing piece for the 2nd worst team in the league. He's no unibrow:pity:

SeoulBeatz
05-20-2016, 07:48 PM
I doubt flat top is the missing piece for the 2nd worst team in the league. He's no unibrow:pity:

No doubt about that. He's got nothing on offense besides tip ins and easy dunks, but on the defensive end the guy's a monster. Top 15 in BPG and SPG two years in a row. Would have even better numbers had he not been playing on the perimeter at PF with Okafor taking up the paint.

Not too many players can play passing lanes AND contest shots like this kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZ0H-lEvb0

OceanSpray
05-20-2016, 07:50 PM
I think Embiid is a better player than Okafor, tbh. Defensively but not offensively. Embiid is one of the most athletic centers right now. If he stays healthy, he'll have a good future. If I'm the Sixers, I make a decision and trade one of them and keep Noel. Lakers should try to avoid DeRozan. He will ruin your franchise tbh.

SeoulBeatz
05-20-2016, 08:00 PM
I think Embiid is a better player than Okafor, tbh. Defensively but not offensively. Embiid is one of the most athletic centers right now. If he stays healthy, he'll have a good future. If I'm the Sixers, I make a decision and trade one of them and keep Noel. Lakers should try to avoid DeRozan. He will ruin your franchise tbh.

Yeah, Embiid has 0 trade value atm so it makes sense to see what we can get for Oak. Out of all 3 of our bigs Embiid has the most potential. He's started 2 on 2 drills and is rumored to be returning for Summer League. Who knows what we'll actually getting for him but all signs point to him finally being healthy.

Teeboy1487
05-20-2016, 08:03 PM
I doubt flat top is the missing piece for the 2nd worst team in the league. He's no unibrow:pity:

Lakers have a void at center specifically a center who can anchor the defense. I never once uttered Noel was "unibrow". I also never once utter the Lakers can win it all with that one move. I was only stating the Lakers need a defensive center and Noel would be perfect for us. Nothing more, nothing less.

Iron24th
05-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Yep. Will be the best SF we had since Ariza.

Exactly, and as much as I liked ariza, he wasn't even half as good as ingram.

GREATNESS ONE
05-20-2016, 10:23 PM
I'm actually in the minority here, I truly believe Okafor and Randle would excell together. Everyone says they don't click because they do the same things, I think this is why they would excell. Young and would be very dominant young post kids, Rhett would feed off each other.

GREATNESS ONE
05-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Saying that, no I would not trade the #2 pick for Okafor unless he was in a Package deal and we got the #1pick in return + Okafor.

More-Than-Most
05-20-2016, 11:03 PM
Saying that, no I would not trade the #2 pick for Okafor unless he was in a Package deal and we got the #1pick in return + Okafor.

xD sure.... Russell and the number 2 along with something else for Oka and the 1... Oka stock has been higher than russell and the number 1 is more valuable than the 2 of course.... There is nothing else of value the lakers have for us... Randles stock is on the rise but we dont need him... Your fanbase outside of maybe 5 have **** on OKA ever since you guys drafted Russell... Its become a joke.

Aust
05-21-2016, 03:30 PM
xD sure.... Russell and the number 2 along with something else for Oka and the 1... Oka stock has been higher than russell and the number 1 is more valuable than the 2 of course.... There is nothing else of value the lakers have for us... Randles stock is on the rise but we dont need him... Your fanbase outside of maybe 5 have **** on OKA ever since you guys drafted Russell... Its become a joke.

At the same time Sixer fans have overrated Okafor hard. I've looked in the Celtic reddit and a lot of members there don't want to trade for him because they shared the same concerns we do. He'll be the next Al Jefferson in an era where defensive bigs are much more important if you want to win games.

IKnowHoops
05-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Yep. Will be the best SF we had since Worthy.

fixed

GREATNESS ONE
05-21-2016, 04:23 PM

Well, that. Can be said about almost every fan base, making quick judgements only puts you in the same boat. I have appreciated Okafor and his game, he will definitely get much better, he played well last year as one of the main options on a bad 76ers team. He will have a very good career, I would look to trade Embiid and Noel and draft Simmons but that's me...

GREATNESS ONE
05-21-2016, 04:26 PM
I also argue the fact that "the game has changed" just because Golden State has found a winning formula going small and outside shooting with their motion offense. Does not mean that is the only path to the title. There are many different styles of play that have won the championship. Heck, if the next Shaq or Shaq walked through the door, he would absolutely DOMINATE the NBA right now and everyone would be looking for that next great big too win.

IndyRealist
05-21-2016, 05:27 PM
As a fan of neither team, I'd say their value is pretty even. Both have off the court nonsense, both have high ceilings but relatively mundane production up to this point. I think it's easier to insert Russell into a system, because you almost have to build around Okafor to maximize his effectiveness. But Okafor's skillset is much less common.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-22-2016, 04:11 AM

I don't think anyone is picking on Okafor just because we didn't draft him. We didn't draft Porzingis either and most Laker fans sing his praises. I think when we degrade Okafor its in relation to what we have on our team. People propose trades to give us Okafor when we already have Randle who plays around the rim and cant defend. Sound familiar? If we had a 5 who could stretch the floor and defend the paint, Okafor might be just what we need. But Okafor makes no sense on the Lakers as currently constructed.

Okafor is a fine player. A team that has a very specific set up could thrive with him. We don't have that set up. And when other Laker fans or fans of the Sixers come in trying to sell us on why we need Okafor, its natural to point out the flaws in the player to explain why you don't want him.

If a Buck fan came in telling you they will trade Greg Monroe for a bunch of first round picks, you would proceed to tell them why that would be such a bad trade for you right?

KINGOFSPORTS
05-22-2016, 04:20 AM
Sixers will be forever salty about Russell IMO

Lakers have no interest in a lumbering center that plays no defense in their uptempo offense

eDush
05-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Saying that, no I would not trade the #2 pick for Okafor unless he was in a Package deal and we got the #1pick in return + Okafor.The only way I see the Sixers giving up their top pick is to get both D'Angelo as their future PG and Randle to replace Okafor as they are like twins being slow footed with no d whatsoever but can rebound and score in the post. They would want the 2nd overall pick in return as well. Lakers draft Simmons with Okafor.

I wouldn't and don't see the Lakers doing it as they love D'Angelo due to his huge upside with superstar potential like that game where he had ice in his veins and emphasis it as well :nod:.

:dance:

eDush
05-22-2016, 02:05 PM

If the Lakers ever plan to trade D'Angelo whom has Curry like accuracy as we saw in that one game, they would draft Dunn instead of Simmons or Ingram as they are looking for the next Magic/Kobe that can only come from able to run the point when called for imho. Okafor cannot run the point and is too slow to bring back fast times at Lakers High!

:dance:

mrblisterdundee
05-22-2016, 02:59 PM
No doubt about that. He's got nothing on offense besides tip ins and easy dunks, but on the defensive end the guy's a monster. Top 15 in BPG and SPG two years in a row. Would have even better numbers had he not been playing on the perimeter at PF with Okafor taking up the paint.

Not too many players can play passing lanes AND contest shots like this kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZ0H-lEvb0

I think Noel will make a great small-ball center in today's NBA. Philadelphia has a couple really good trade chips in him and Okafor. Let's see if the 76ers decide to construct a sensible roster.

Corey
05-22-2016, 04:55 PM

HIGHLY doubt the Celtics would give Bradley and #3.

Bruno
05-22-2016, 06:42 PM
I think a trade between Boston and Phili is more likely. Boston has a loaded back court, Phili has a loaded front court and both have lots of assets to include.

if you're the Lakers you don't trade the pick. Russell/Clarkson/Ingram/Randle is a respectable rebuild, it's a floor spreading center away from not only being a talented core but a core that might compliment itself well. Once the lottery picks play together for a while, decide if you like the core. If you don't, offer packages for disgruntled all-stars before the deadline.

If Phili selects Ingram, seek out trading Randle and Clarkson. Simmons and Randle play the same position.

CardinalRed24
05-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Lmao #2 for Okafor.

May god bless your soul.

eDush
05-22-2016, 08:00 PM
I think a trade between Boston and Phili is more likely. Boston has a loaded back court, Phili has a loaded front court and both have lots of assets to include.

if you're the Lakers you don't trade the pick. Russell/Clarkson/Ingram/Randle is a respectable rebuild, it's a floor spreading center away from not only being a talented core but a core that might compliment itself well. Once the lottery picks play together for a while, decide if you like the core. If you don't, offer packages for disgruntled all-stars before the deadline.

If Phili selects Ingram, seek out trading Randle and Clarkson. Simmons and Randle play the same position.Simmons is the next Lebron....you just feel it :nod:

Mave1002
05-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Simmons is the next Lebron....you just feel it :nod:

If that's the case, no thanks. I dont want no floppers on my team.