PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox (T-1st AL East) vs Indians (2nd AL Central) IGT: (5/20-5/22)

Timmmahhh
05-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Cleveland Indians at Boston Red Sox
http://sas.suplitodomedia.com/articles_images/GamblersPalace/BOS-RED-SOX-vs.-CLV-INDIANS.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1763227.1398054460!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/boston-red-sox-tribute-boston-marathon-victims.jpg

All Access w/ David Price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-nu5JETENU

What JBJ Figured Out

***Article Preview***

Jackie Bradley Jr. has been doing amazing things. To be absolutely clear, theyíve all been doing amazing things. Every last one of them. That 91 mile-per-hour sinker outside? Amazing. That opposite-field roller past the shortstop? Amazing. The reason we bother to pay attention in the first place is because everything that happens out there is amazing, performed by amazing players. Yet Bradley has been particularly amazing. Hereís an amazing thing from yesterday: Video In Link Below

Bradley is riding a long hitting streak, and while we donít really care too much about hitting streaks, on their own, theyíre tightly correlated to good offense. Thatís what we do care about. This year, Bradley ranks eighth in baseball in wRC+, between Manny Machado and Nick Castellanos. Of course, some things still look a little weird ó Aledmys Diaz, for example, ranks second. So looking over the past calendar year, Bradley ranks 15th. That covers 401 trips to the plate, and heís sandwiched between Machado and Nelson Cruz. Regardless of whether this is for real, Bradley is now definitely a hitter. And in this season, he seems to have taken one more step.

The Jackie Bradley Jr. who debuted in the majors was terrible. He was even worse as a sophomore, and it appeared as if he was out of a role in Boston. They didnít end up moving him, but they and everyone knew he was flawed. Great glove and everything, but the bat wasnít there. The swing was long, and it made Bradley vulnerable. It caused him to over-commit, and it opened up an area inside. Bradley needed to figure out how to hit fastballs, so he put work toward tightening up. In 2015, he showed a quicker swing. It was, obviously, a more productive swing. Fastballs were getting hit, and pitchers responded by directing fewer fastballs toward the plate. Thatís how it usually goes.

One weakness did sustain into last season. You probably wonít get anywhere if you canít hit fastballs, but Bradley kept struggling against softer stuff. Before last year, Bradley made contact with 65% of his swings against non-fastballs. Last year, that dropped a little bit, to 61%. So while Bradley was crushing heaters, his contact rate against other stuff ranked him in the 21st percentile among big-leaguers. As a force, Bradley remained incomplete.

Now itís a new season...

Full FanGraphs Article Link *http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-jackie-bradley-jr-figured-out/

*Probable Matchups*

Friday: 6:10 PM, NESN, WEEI 93.7, WCEC 1490 AM
RH Corey Kluber (2-5, 4.30) vs. RH Clay Buchholz (2-3, 6.11)

Saturday: 3:05 PM, NESN, WEEI 93.7, WCCM 1110 AM
RH Trevor Bauer (3-1, 3.89) vs. RH Joe Kelly (1-0, 9.35)

Sunday: 12:35 PM, NESN, MLBN (out-of-market only), WEEI 93.7, WCCM 1110 AM
RH Danny Salazar (4-2, 1.80) vs. RH Rick Porcello (6-2, 3.51)

Timmmahhh
05-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Attention PSD Red Sox faithful,

The Admins and Mods are fully aware you are in need of a new Moderator and/or TM.

If anyone is interested in either of these roles, please contact ThomasTomasz, Rush or any MLB Moderator or Super Mod.

Thanks and good luck in your weekend series!

:cheers:
Tim

Green_Monster
05-19-2016, 07:58 PM
That was a cool article on JBJ.

I say we take 2 out of 3, losing the first game.

Bo Sox Fan
05-19-2016, 08:19 PM
The real "Killer B's" have arrived in Beantown. Betts, Bogaerts & Bradley with Benintendi in the wings should take 2 of 3 from Cleveland, maybe sweep!

Green_Monster
05-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Swihart was called up and is starting in LF tonight. Holt and Smith to the DL, Noe Ramirez called up as well.

a4anthony
05-20-2016, 04:58 PM
Swihart in left? If so I'm a bit interested to see how comfortable he looks out there in general, but specifically in front of the wall.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mamba42
05-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Have the Sox basically given up on Swihart behind the plate now, then? I don't really like that too much. Vasquez hasn't really done much back there and doesn't offer the same bat the Swihart does.

Green_Monster
05-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Have the Sox basically given up on Swihart behind the plate now, then? I don't really like that too much. Vasquez hasn't really done much back there and doesn't offer the same bat the Swihart does.

Vazquez's defense outweighs Swihart's offense. Vazquez can't hit well, and Swihart doesn't play good defense or call a good game, so it comes down to that first part.

Vazquez is the catcher of the future. Swihart needs to start hitting if he wants a place on this team in the future.

Mamba42
05-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Vazquez's defense outweighs Swihart's offense. Vazquez can't hit well, and Swihart doesn't play good defense or call a good game, so it comes down to that first part.

Vazquez is the catcher of the future. Swihart needs to start hitting if he wants a place on this team in the future.
That's interesting. I've more or less considered Swihart the catcher of the future. Swihart has more perceived value around the league I think too.

Green_Monster
05-21-2016, 12:11 PM
That's interesting. I've more or less considered Swihart the catcher of the future. Swihart has more perceived value around the league I think too.

I thought Swihart would be the catcher of the future coming into this season as well, but his poor play to start the year made that opportunity go away. He gave Vazquez a chance to grab the spot, and he took it.

With no position open, Swihart could be trade bait at the deadline.

Mamba42
05-21-2016, 04:26 PM
I thought Swihart would be the catcher of the future coming into this season as well, but his poor play to start the year made that opportunity go away. He gave Vazquez a chance to grab the spot, and he took it.

With no position open, Swihart could be trade bait at the deadline.

That's what I've been hearing too on Swihart. I saw a rumor linking a possible Teheran/Swihart deal earlier so it seems like his value is still pretty high.

I'm actually a Braves fan primarily, but I moved to Boston about a year ago and have taken them on as my American league favorite team (and #2 overall).

Green_Monster
05-21-2016, 04:45 PM
That's what I've been hearing too on Swihart. I saw a rumor linking a possible Teheran/Swihart deal earlier so it seems like his value is still pretty high.

I'm actually a Braves fan primarily, but I moved to Boston about a year ago and have taken them on as my American league favorite team (and #2 overall).

A Teheran/Swihart based deal is interesting. Glad to have you participating in discussion on this forum.

Side note, Joe Kelly looks good so far today.

Soxfan85
05-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Kelly was Awesome today. Can we keep him there throw Clay in BP. JK been out since April showing no rust at all. Nice work!

Mamba42
05-21-2016, 10:25 PM
I hope Joe Kelly can be competent. God knows Bucholz won't be. I really see the Sox trading for a starting pitcher by the deadline. Price will get it going and Porcello is reliable at best. If Kelly keeps it up that's still two spots of uncertainty

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Petertherock
05-22-2016, 05:48 PM
This team has magic in it. I am seeing a lot of similarities between this team and the 2013 team!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Green_Monster
05-22-2016, 07:09 PM
This team has magic in it. I am seeing a lot of similarities between this team and the 2013 team!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winning certainly makes everything better.

This team is very talented, and most Red Sox fans knew that coming into the season. Nationally, I think people looked at our record last year and figured there was no way we could do a 360 in the standings. I think they failed to see that a significant portion of the roster had down years. When you add that to the 2015 team finishing out the year strong, having several young players who would only get better, and key off-season acquisitions, the possibility of great success wasn't that hard to see.

papipapsmanny
05-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Still want to trade for a legit 2. Price-Legit 2 - Porcello - Erod -Wright. Kelly as depth, Clay injured/traded away. Everything else is in place7

Bo Sox Fan
05-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Still want to trade for a legit 2. Price-Legit 2 - Porcello - Erod -Wright. Kelly as depth, Clay injured/traded away. Everything else is in place7

Agree with this %110.

It's also very risky relying on Edro for any type of mid/top rotation performance going forward if you're trying to win a World Series, atleast for the rest of this season that is. Expect the worst and hope for the best there.

Nothing more needs to be said about Buchholz, he's a proven unreliability.

Mamba42
05-22-2016, 10:38 PM
Big game from Papi today and Bradley Jr. is lighting it up. Glad the Sox stuck with him after a slow beginning to his career in the majors. 27 game hitting streak now.