PDA

View Full Version : Frank Vogel new Orlando Magic HC

MagicBucsSox
05-19-2016, 04:00 PM
The Orlando Magic have reached a deal in principle with Frank Vogel, the Orlando Sentinel has learned.

Thoughts

5ass
05-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Finally. They got the best coach on the market so I'm pretty happy. He's not perfect but he's an upgrade over Skiles. Now Hennigan needs to get Whiteside so that they can build an elite defensive team.

mngopher35
05-19-2016, 04:20 PM
Good hire, it will be interesting to see what he can do with this young core.

shep33
05-19-2016, 04:20 PM
Great hire. Can't believe the Knicks let him go. Great job by the Magic

mrblisterdundee
05-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Can't say anything bad about this move. Hopefully Vogel instills the same penchant for defense he had in Indiana.

5ass
05-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Can't say anything bad about this move. Hopefully Vogel instills the same penchant for defense he had in Indiana.

That's what should happen. The Magic were actually a decent defensive team last year. I think they were just slightly below average? They were a top 5-10 defensive team early in the season though before their breakdown. With Payton, Gordon, Oladipo, and even Mario, there's A LOT of defensive potential on that team.

My only worry is that the Pacers were inefficient offensively. They had a worse ORTG than the Magic this season... still they won 45 games this year, and even more impressive was 38 wins last year without PG.

DarkKnight
05-19-2016, 05:14 PM

He said he wanted to be the Knicks head coach ? I believed the magic had the inside track

Vincent
05-19-2016, 05:30 PM
That's what should happen. The Magic were actually a decent defensive team last year. I think they were just slightly below average? They were a top 5-10 defensive team early in the season though before their breakdown. With Payton, Gordon, Oladipo, and even Mario, there's A LOT of defensive potential on that team.

My only worry is that the Pacers were inefficient offensively. They had a worse ORTG than the Magic this season... still they won 45 games this year, and even more impressive was 38 wins last year without PG.

I think the offensive woes from the Pacers stem more from the inefficient players that Bird put on the team.

PG13, while a great player, can run hot/cold throughout the year. Monta is mid-range heavy, volume heavy, isolation small two guard. CJ Miles is a sub 40% fg shooter (and is feast or famine). Mahinmi has never been an offensive force inside. Rodney Stuckey, Jordan Hill, etc. Myles Turner didn't come on until the end of the year and was a nice surprise, but he was a relatively raw rookie.

MagicBucsSox
05-19-2016, 05:59 PM

And now its come out Hornacek is still negotiating a contract with the Knocks. Not officially the coach

MagicBucsSox
05-19-2016, 06:01 PM
The deal is 4/22

IDunknown
05-19-2016, 07:44 PM
And now its come out Hornacek is still negotiating a contract with the Knocks. Not officially the coach

That's how the hire was originally reported though. It's as close to done as possible is what was reported.

5ass
05-19-2016, 11:42 PM
I think the offensive woes from the Pacers stem more from the inefficient players that Bird put on the team.

PG13, while a great player, can run hot/cold throughout the year. Monta is mid-range heavy, volume heavy, isolation small two guard. CJ Miles is a sub 40% fg shooter (and is feast or famine). Mahinmi has never been an offensive force inside. Rodney Stuckey, Jordan Hill, etc. Myles Turner didn't come on until the end of the year and was a nice surprise, but he was a relatively raw rookie.

You're right, but the Magic didn't have great offensive players either and still managed to have a more efficient offense. Vucevic is also a midrange heavy offensive player. In fact Skiles loved those midrange jumpshots off a pick n pop with Vucevic and Smith draining them. The Pacers and Magic were both top 5 in shots taken from 16ft-3pt line. To be fair, the magic had the same ORTG as the Hawks, and people don't think their offense is bad.

I wonder if we keep Vucevic. Not sure what happens there, but I didn't love Vucecic's fit on the team anyway. I am a little worried also about how Vogel and Payton mesh together as well. Vogel has never had to work with a PG with an inconsistent jumpshot and a center that isn't a good defender. Otherwise, he's a perfect fit though. Should be great for the team's development.

kobe4thewinbang
05-19-2016, 11:46 PM
Magic are not a lock to improve as a team and make some noise, but I'd say they're more likely than not to do so, especially with an impressive coach like Vogel at the helm. Hopefully he embraces the youth movement (no Paul George in Orlando) and makes Bird regret tossing him.

5ass
05-20-2016, 12:23 AM
Magic are not a lock to improve as a team and make some noise, but I'd say they're more likely than not to do so, especially with an impressive coach like Vogel at the helm. Hopefully he embraces the youth movement (no Paul George in Orlando) and makes Bird regret tossing him.

There's no PG, but Oladipo could definitely have a break out season and make the all star team. Fournier is on the verge of breaking out as well and I think he was already better than any of PGs teammates last year. There is some talent in Orlando, and with some internal growth and nearly 50 mill in cap space we still don't know what they'll have next year. We're still not sure exactly what Mario and Gordon are capable of either, both were 20 yr olds playing for Skiles this year. They could not put their full talent on display since they were on a short leash.

eDush
05-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Great hire. Can't believe the Knicks let him go. Great job by the MagicKnicks never had him so how can they let him go?? Horn might be better in the long run....

J_M_B
05-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Finally. They got the best coach on the market so I'm pretty happy. He's not perfect but he's an upgrade over Skiles. Now Hennigan needs to get Whiteside so that they can build an elite defensive team.

I've seen quite a few Magic fans talk about signing Whiteside, not sure why some think it's realistic.

5ass
05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
I've seen quite a few Magic fans talk about signing Whiteside, not sure why some think it's realistic.

He's an UFA and the Magic have a lot of cap space. The Magic should be an attractive destination for most FAs for multiple reasons. A max for Whiteside would be risky for any team though, so it might be enough for Miami to let him leave. I'm not sure offering him that contract is a good idea, but we'll see. I don't think any Magic fan is fully expecting us to sign Whiteside, but mainly what they want is a defensive center either replacing Vucevic or backing him up and playing alongside him a few minutes per game. I'd be happy with Ezeli too, and if he wasn't injury prone i'd probably prefer him to Whiteside on a max contract.

leprechaun5
05-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Best coach available. He seems a very detailed guy. Magic have the pieces to be a great defensive team.

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2016, 04:07 PM
There's no PG, but Oladipo could definitely have a break out season and make the all star team. Fournier is on the verge of breaking out as well and I think he was already better than any of PGs teammates last year. There is some talent in Orlando, and with some internal growth and nearly 50 mill in cap space we still don't know what they'll have next year. We're still not sure exactly what Mario and Gordon are capable of either, both were 20 yr olds playing for Skiles this year. They could not put their full talent on display since they were on a short leash.Speaking my language. I do like Fournier. I think that clock is running low more on Oladipo than anything else. Plus, I wonder if they'll land Jimmy Butler somehow. No Skiles is great.

OceanSpray
05-20-2016, 04:13 PM
I don't know if Orlando has the right personnel for Frank to coach. We'll see how much PG meant for his coaching now. Hopefully he pulls through and turns them into a contender. They haven't been mentioned since Dwight left.

RLundi
05-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Speaking my language. I do like Fournier. I think that clock is running low more on Oladipo than anything else. Plus, I wonder if they'll land Jimmy Butler somehow. No Skiles is great.

No way Chicago trades Butler. They had him at the draft as the team representative. I think they were trying to send a message to him and everyone else, that Butler is definitely in their future plans.

5ass
05-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Speaking my language. I do like Fournier. I think that clock is running low more on Oladipo than anything else. Plus, I wonder if they'll land Jimmy Butler somehow. No Skiles is great.

Yeah both Oladipo and Fournier are getting older. They'll both be 24 yrs old next season, but that is why I think they're on the verge of breaking out. If you look at Jimmy Butler, Gordon Hayward, Demar Derozen, Klay Thompson, CJ McCollum they all had a break out season at 24. So I'm hoping Fournier and Oladipo follow the same pattern.

5ass
05-21-2016, 06:28 PM
I don't know if Orlando has the right personnel for Frank to coach. We'll see how much PG meant for his coaching now. Hopefully he pulls through and turns them into a contender. They haven't been mentioned since Dwight left.

Well he still almost made the play offs without him in 2014-2015. I think that season was pretty telling about Vogel's capabilities. 38 wins is impressive with the roster he had to work with. Most expected them to suck.

5ass
05-21-2016, 06:36 PM
For those who care, here's what Vogel had to say in an interview

-he felt like the Pacers were more suited for not going small, but says he's learned from his experiences and expects to use the magic players' speed and athleticism for uptmepo play. Says going small is a must in todays league.

- says he will use their speed and athleticism to maker them a top defensive team

- said that he chose the Magic because of their potential and their hunger, and feels they will make the play offs this season. Says they remind him of the Pacers when he took over.

Press conference on monday