PDA

View Full Version : Knicks hire Jeff Hornacek as HC

GiantsSwaGG
05-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Howard Beck
Howard Beck – Verified account ‏@HowardBeck

Breaking: Knicks will hire Jeff Hornacek as head coach, per NBA source.

Didn't see this coming, wanted Vogel but I guess it's an ok hire lol

NYJ - NYY
05-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Don't really know much about him. But hopefully this goes over well with melo and the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF8
05-18-2016, 08:24 PM
As a Suns fan, I hope you are ready to stackpile a ton of PGs. That's the #1 thing that Hornacek cares about...having as many PGs as possible on the team.

He's a very player friendly coach which is good and bad. Good because you won't have any drama with him. Bad because well, players will walk all over him (Morris twins are an example). He also doesn't hold players accountable which was one of my biggest frustrations with him.

His system is basically run, run and run. That's all he cares about. His halfcourt philosophy sucks. The only halfcourt play he knows is the high pick and roll.

At the end of the day, he's a great guy and good guy to improve the shooting of any players. But honestly I thought he's better fit to be an assistant than a HC. But still, you could do worse than Hornacek even though I think you could have done better than him too (Blatt, Vogel etc).

More-Than-Most
05-18-2016, 08:32 PM
I actually like this move and unlike other player coaches he is actually pretty basketball smart and he will get along great with melo

TrueFan420
05-18-2016, 08:32 PM
I think putting the Morris twins on him isn't fair. That's on the GM for trading one after making a handshake agreement that they'd stay together if they took less than market value deals. Maybe he could have handled it better but he shouldn't take the blame. The GM and Morris take more of the blame. The GM for lying and Morris for acting like a petulant child.

TheNumber37
05-18-2016, 08:35 PM
Walton. Gone
Thibs. Gone.

Not Vogel, Not Blatt.

I think the Knicks got the 5th choice they didn't know they were okay with

numba1CHANGsta
05-18-2016, 08:52 PM
The Knicks need to go through a re-building process, they should look to trading Melo for multiple picks at this years draft.

GiantsSwaGG
05-18-2016, 08:58 PM
The Knicks need to go through a re-building process, they should look to trading Melo for multiple picks at this years draft.

This years draft sucks, i would of done it last year. We're stuck with Melo, so we gotta make it work unless he waives his NTC

Dade County
05-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Good Hire

ewing
05-18-2016, 10:19 PM

Melo has already stated he has no interest in being traded this off season. he will be a knick and while i don't trading him in a bad idea in theory the Knicks are rebuilding. you don't have to be the worst team in the league to rebuild.

ewing
05-18-2016, 11:17 PM
As a Suns fan, I hope you are ready to stackpile a ton of PGs. That's the #1 thing that Hornacek cares about...having as many PGs as possible on the team.

He's a very player friendly coach which is good and bad. Good because you won't have any drama with him. Bad because well, players will walk all over him (Morris twins are an example). He also doesn't hold players accountable which was one of my biggest frustrations with him.

His system is basically run, run and run. That's all he cares about. His halfcourt philosophy sucks. The only halfcourt play he knows is the high pick and roll.

At the end of the day, he's a great guy and good guy to improve the shooting of any players. But honestly I thought he's better fit to be an assistant than a HC. But still, you could do worse than Hornacek even though I think you could have done better than him too (Blatt, Vogel etc).

signing Isaiah Thomas wasn't a mistake. trading him was.

5ass
05-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Not bad. There aren't any great coaches available. Vogel is the best coach on the market, but it looks like he might choose the Magic. I personally think the Magic are better fit for him. At least the Knicks got a coach that has had some success recently. Pretty sure he almost won coach of the year a couple of seasons ago.

D-Leethal
05-18-2016, 11:45 PM
I like that Phil went for someone who seems in tune with the modern NBA. Vogel is a helluva coach but he is very much old school, like Phil, which is very surprising but encouraging that Phil went outside of his box for Horny. Word is that there is no requirement for Horny to run the triangle, but my guess is that we do something similar to GSW where the triangle is baked in as a feature but not the staple of the offense.

FWIW,

According to the source, Jackson is convinced that Hornacek, the former All-Star guard and Phoenix Suns head coach, “is a smart basketball mind who can come up with the right kind of system” for the Knicks, who have much different personnel than did his Suns teams.

Seems a little Steve Kerr-ish in his warm personality, players coach, but should be able to garner respect as a former NBA player, all star and guy who played in some very memorable NBA Finals series.

blahblahyoutoo
05-18-2016, 11:54 PM
This years draft sucks, i would of done it last year. We're stuck with Melo, so we gotta make it work unless he waives his NTC

would of eh? inner resting.

ewing
05-19-2016, 12:07 AM
I like that Phil went for someone who seems in tune with the modern NBA. Vogel is a helluva coach but he is very much old school, like Phil, which is very surprising but encouraging that Phil went outside of his box for Horny. Word is that there is no requirement for Horny to run the triangle, but my guess is that we do something similar to GSW where the triangle is baked in as a feature but not the staple of the offense.

FWIW,

Seems a little Steve Kerr-ish in his warm personality, players coach, but should be able to garner respect as a former NBA player, all star and guy who played in some very memorable NBA Finals series.

please don't call him horny

D-Leethal
05-19-2016, 12:11 AM
please don't call him horny

It's too tempting.

xxplayerxx23
05-19-2016, 12:28 AM

Good we haven't had a PG in years.

ewing
05-19-2016, 12:31 AM
Good we haven't had a PG in years.

yeah i hope we don't sign IT for 7 mil a year. that'd be awful

aman_13
05-19-2016, 12:47 AM
Blatt would of been a good fit. He knows the triangle as well.

xxplayerxx23
05-19-2016, 12:55 AM
yeah i hope we don't sign IT was 7 mil a year. that'd be awful

Haha yeah would be awful

xxplayerxx23
05-19-2016, 12:56 AM
Blatt would of been a good fit. He knows the triangle as well.

I think they will keep some sets of the triangle but I do think this is the path of more run and gun small ball vs triangle. I think some half court sets will stay triangle but that's about it

SF8
05-19-2016, 01:08 AM

Signing him was a mistake when you already had Bledsoe and Dragic which then led to all 3 of them being upset over playing time.

Iron24th
05-19-2016, 03:51 AM
At least it shows that PJ is inclined to quit on the triangle.

DboneG
05-19-2016, 07:57 AM
LOL! The Zen master couldn't land Vogel? Phil is blowing smoke up James Dolan arse with this one! Jeff Hornacek is ok.

DarkKnight
05-19-2016, 08:42 AM
LOL! The Zen master couldn't land Vogel? Phil is blowing smoke up James Dolan arse with this one! Jeff Hornacek is ok.

Yup it was Vogel or Bust :laugh2:

ewing
05-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Signing him was a mistake when you already had Bledsoe and Dragic which then led to all 3 of them being upset over playing time.

I'll trade a little bit of tension for an all star level PG at 7 mil a year any day. you lost Dragic to an offer you weren't going to match the next year. Phx could very easily have a young elite play maker locked up at 7 mil a year. The signing was the right move- they ****ed it up.

kdspurman
05-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Good hire IMO. He should've never been fired from Phoenix

Bivory
05-19-2016, 10:57 AM
Good luck to JH.

Knicks organization continues to be a head scratcher....In an era where Knicks absolutely need an image overhaul, in an era where they haven't had a PG in ?yrs, they continue to overlook their own. Why wasn't Mark Jackson and/or Ewing even interviewed? No job has to be promised but wouldn't it go a long way to show a little love to the the guys that gave their heart to this team? I just don't get it.

Not good execution Phil....

And while im at it, why hasn't the Knicks org EVER looked 20 feet down the bench to Walt Clyde Frazier, one of the best PG's EVER, who happened to win the last championship for the SH--TTY Knicks, and ask him if he would help with the PG's on the team. How about the Pearl who I hear from very good sources, always wanted to work with the team in some capacity... Knicks haven't had good pg play since MJ. Ridiculous.....

Knicks continue to shun their own and they wonder why they can't recruit players to NY...

Heediot
05-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Wow.

I guess Melo is going to be traded. He is a run and gun guy, not too sure if that meshes well with Melo's style of play.

TheNumber37
05-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Wow.

I guess Melo is going to be traded. He is a run and gun guy, not too sure if that meshes well with Melo's style of play.

No Trade Clause.
That's common knowledge.

Melo can play Small Ball 4 in hornacek's offense. He is good enough rebounder, low post defender, and can obviously stetch the floor.

I see him running a lot of.
Grant
Wroten
Free Agent
Melo
Porzingis

Heediot
05-19-2016, 12:14 PM
No Trade Clause.
That's common knowledge.

Melo can play Small Ball 4 in hornacek's offense. He is good enough rebounder, low post defender, and can obviously stetch the floor.

Grant
Wroten
Free Agent
Melo
Porzingis

I think if they strike out in FA, Melo is a s good as gone and they will ask him to waive his clause. This coaching hire may be a slight ploy to attract free agents as most guys would rather play in a open vs. half court style. They aren't attracting premium free agents with how the team is presently constructed.

naps
05-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Anyone is better than Kurt Rambis. So in that sense it's a good hire. I guess Phil wants a YESSIR type as his coach, certainly didnt want anyone who could challenge him, argue with him.

rhymeratic
05-19-2016, 03:52 PM
No Trade Clause.
That's common knowledge.

Grant
Wroten
Free Agent
Melo
Porzingis

Fail... Robin Lopez was actually one of the more productive Centers in the league. I don't see him ever not starting on the Knicks unless he is traded for a major piece.

Dade County
05-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Fail... Robin Lopez was actually one of the more productive Centers in the league. I don't see him ever not starting on the Knicks unless he is traded for a major piece.

Naw... I believe PK will be starting at Center if not at the beginning, then before Christmas.

MagicBucsSox
05-19-2016, 06:06 PM
The Knicks have offered coaching job to Jeff Hornacek and sides have started talks on a contract, league sources tell @TheVertical. wait? So he's really not even the coach yet?

Phantom Dreamer
05-19-2016, 06:12 PM
please don't call him hornyThe late Hot Rod Hundley called him that all the time, in Utah, no less.

kobe4thewinbang
05-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Run, run, run, eh? The New York Suns, now? I guess it could work. But they got guys like Robin Lopez and Carmelo. Don't really want Carmelo shooting more than he already does especially since he's decent closer to the basket. Porzingis can shoot, but need some defensive players if you're going to run, run, run.

ewing
05-20-2016, 05:27 AM
Run, run, run, eh? The New York Suns, now? I guess it could work. But they got guys like Robin Lopez and Carmelo. Don't really want Carmelo shooting more than he already does especially since he's decent closer to the basket. Porzingis can shoot, but need some defensive players if you're going to run, run, run.

you have it backwards. melo when at his best offensively gets catch and shoot looks which he is excellent at, he is a poor finisher at this point in his career, and is much more efficient when he can get face up looks as opposed to post up looks. he still has excellent footwork in the post but that kind of iso play should be for when the team is struggling and after ball movement. KP was fantastic defensively last year when the knicks played a faster tempo and his jump shooting was extremely inconsistent.

eDush
05-20-2016, 08:06 AM

Actually giving up the Lakers protected pick for non playoff rental in Knight during the trade deadline was a mistake when they could have gave him the max during the off season anyways. I rather have Dragic than lying to him....not a trustworthy organization.

Hawkeye15
05-20-2016, 01:05 PM

they have been needing to do that since the early 2000's

Hawkeye15
05-20-2016, 01:06 PM

FWIW,

that is big, because it would not be a good idea to force that on the current roster. The triangle needs the right skillsets

Hawkeye15
05-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Anyone is better than Kurt Rambis. So in that sense it's a good hire. I guess Phil wants a YESSIR type as his coach, certainly didnt want anyone who could challenge him, argue with him.

Randy Wittman might be his equal, but good point haha

Hawkeye15
05-20-2016, 01:09 PM
you have it backwards. melo when at his best offensively gets catch and shoot looks which he is excellent at, he is a poor finisher at this point in his career, and is much more efficient when he can get face up looks as opposed to post up looks. he still has excellent footwork in the post but that kind of iso play should be for when the team is struggling and after ball movement. KP was fantastic defensively last year when the knicks played a faster tempo and his jump shooting was extremely inconsistent.

I am looking forward to what his game looks like when his jumper gets consistency. Because looking at his mechanics, it will. When does he make the move to C?

MonroeFAN
05-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Why would you give this guy a job? Is there something I'm missing.

ewing
05-20-2016, 01:19 PM
I am looking forward to what his game looks like when his jumper gets consistency. Because looking at his mechanics, it will. When does he make the move to C?

i don't know if he ever becomes a FT center. I think it depends on how he body adapts to strength training

Hawkeye15
05-20-2016, 01:20 PM
i don't know if he ever becomes a FT center. I think it depends on how he body adapts to strength training

Defensively, isn't that where you will want him down the line? Outside a few guys, this isn't the era for power centers anyways

GiantsSwaGG
05-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Defensively, isn't that where you will want him down the line? Outside a few guys, this isn't the era for power centers anyways

Yeah but she's good defensively at the 4 as well, you're talking about a 7'3 guy that moves and glides like a foward. He still needs to improve his strength, injured his shoulder blocking a shot lol

ewing
05-20-2016, 02:09 PM

yes but i don't think it is something they need to force. you hear 7'3 with range you think great he can have a big center that can spread the floor on O and that's nice but if it isn't what his game and his teams circumstance lends to so be it.

nycericanguy
05-20-2016, 02:33 PM

There's a divide with Knick fans about this but I say yes absolutely. knicks were the only team to start two 7 footers and were extremely slow. KP is quick for a 7'3 guy overall but he's slower than a lot of PF's today. I think defensively at C he's better off against 80% of opposing C's. There might be a few big guys that give him problems but overall I think as long as he gains another 10-15lbs this summer (which is the plan) then he should definitely be a C sooner rather than later.

Offensively I think he creates more problems/mismatches at C too, few centers can stay with him, and opposing centers have to come out 25 feet to guard him which opens the lane for Melo & Co.

Having him at C also means Melo can play PF which he's clearly better suited to these days. I don't even think that's small ball, Melo is a solid 6'8 245 and KP is 7'3. Nothing small about that. It's a no brainer to me but some disagree.

AI
05-20-2016, 03:08 PM
There's a divide with Knick fans about this but I say yes absolutely. knicks were the only team to start two 7 footers and were extremely slow. KP is quick for a 7'3 guy overall but he's slower than a lot of PF's today. I think defensively at C he's better off against 80% of opposing C's. There might be a few big guys that give him problems but overall I think as long as he gains another 10-15lbs this summer (which is the plan) then he should definitely be a C sooner rather than later.

Offensively I think he creates more problems/mismatches at C too, few centers can stay with him, and opposing centers have to come out 25 feet to guard him which opens the lane for Melo & Co.

Having him at C also means Melo can play PF which he's clearly better suited to these days. I don't even think that's small ball, Melo is a solid 6'8 245 and KP is 7'3. Nothing small about that. It's a no brainer to me but some disagree.

It's a no-brainer if the roster allows them to play them at the 4/5. What do we do with RoLo? Who will we target in free agency? Who will be our starting backcourt? Who starts at SF if we decide to go small?

These are all things I'm looking forward to seeing unfold this offseason.

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2016, 04:14 PM
you have it backwards. melo when at his best offensively gets catch and shoot looks which he is excellent at, he is a poor finisher at this point in his career, and is much more efficient when he can get face up looks as opposed to post up looks. he still has excellent footwork in the post but that kind of iso play should be for when the team is struggling and after ball movement. KP was fantastic defensively last year when the knicks played a faster tempo and his jump shooting was extremely inconsistent.Alright. Thanks for updating my understanding of the team. I don't watch them much, but I did enjoy the flashes of brilliance by KP and fun games they had. I want the best for the Knicks. I think it's better than trying the triangle. KP does play with a fire to him, so I could see him becoming a good 2 way player once that shot gets more consistent. He had a solid rookie season, no doubt, so I think he's closer to being consistent. I still think they need more defensive guys. Mostly, I think my view of Carmelo has waned over the years. He has a lot of bad games and shoots too much. Putting him in a system that makes it more likely for him to nail them is a smart option.

Crackadalic
05-20-2016, 04:52 PM
We had the best interior defense in the NBA with our so called slow guys but w/e tired of explaining it to people over and over

I do think KP will play 5 at the end of games

Two young attacking penatrating guards. A defensive 3. Melo who had his best year at the 4 and a 7'3 center that can guard all 5 positions.

Jeff can tweak his offense since he doesn't have a bledsoe or dragic

SF8
06-06-2016, 03:03 AM
And guess who was the one that wanted IT traded and gone? Hornacek, not the GM.

http://arizonasports.com/player/?a=322196

(starts at around the 9 min mark)