PDA

View Full Version : Knicks fans, why do you hate AA?

Chronz
05-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Its been reported that Afflalo has interest in joining the Clips, while I would gladly take another vet with the chance to contribute at a position of need, the amount of vitriol directed towards him has me scared. I tried not to watch the Knicks once they stopped being competitive so I dont know what you guys hate about him. Maybe its my love for Bruins but he used to be the perfect role player, then he started wanting more touches and hasn't really been as effective.

Its odd, I want him to be a 3 and D guy like he was in Detroit/Denver but several respected posters (Denbutsu, ManRam, D-Lee) have all explained how overrated his rep was defensively. Does he just have the look of what a good defender should be (kind of like Wesley Johnson) or does he lack the tools/instincts.

My question is this, in a lessened load (like when KP was playing like a legit #2) can he be more effective as an outlet option, is he still starting calibre, does he have the ability to guard swings, can he handle SF at all or would we just be spending more money on yet another small SG?

mudvayne387
05-18-2016, 04:09 PM
He was very inconsistent last year. I don't necessarily dislike him, he just has no place on a rebuilding roster. I am sure he will put in more effort and in turn put up a better season playing for someone like the Clippers. At this point in his career, I don't think you can label him a true 3 and D player though. It does seem the Clippers will have a surplus of similar players so I'd be interested to see what other roster moves they make. And for the record, almost nobody thought he would pick up his second year option when he signed that deal last year.

ewing
05-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Its been reported that Afflalo has interest in joining the Clips, while I would gladly take another vet with the chance to contribute at a position of need, the amount of vitriol directed towards him has me scared. I tried not to watch the Knicks once they stopped being competitive so I dont know what you guys hate about him. Maybe its my love for Bruins but he used to be the perfect role player, then he started wanting more touches and hasn't really been as effective.

Its odd, I want him to be a 3 and D guy like he was in Detroit/Denver but several respected posters (Denbutsu, ManRam, D-Lee) have all explained how overrated his rep was defensively. Does he just have the look of what a good defender should be (kind of like Wesley Johnson) or does he lack the tools/instincts.

My question is this, in a lessened load (like when KP was playing like a legit #2) can he be more effective as an outlet option, is he still starting calibre, does he have the ability to guard swings, can he handle SF at all or would we just be spending more money on yet another small SG?

I was a big big fan in Denver and took on multiple fantasy teams in Orlando which paid off. I was happy to get him but I was not a fan at all by mid season. On NY he was an absolute ball stopper and chucker. He does have some nice back to the basket moves but frequently had his mind made up on NY. He dribbled way too much, ran to the ball to get catches, and stagnated offensive. He seemed generally unhappy after about 2 months as well. A change of scenery might do him good but i was not a fan here in NY

GiantsSwaGG
05-18-2016, 04:23 PM
He's on the decline... He's better suited coming off the bench which he didn't want to do, his defense has fallen off, offensively while efficient, he's inconsistent. With all that being said he would fit nice with the Clips but he's better suited as the 6th man.

GiantsSwaGG
05-18-2016, 04:25 PM
I think AA can excel as the #3 option but the question is does he accepts it? When Rambis benched him, his attitude change and he wasn't playing with full effort.

IDunknown
05-18-2016, 04:27 PM
I was a big big fan in Denver and took on multiple fantasy teams in Orlando which paid off. I was happy to get him but I was not a fan at all by mid season. On NY he was an absolute ball stopper and chucker. He does have some nice back to the basket moves but frequently had his mind made up on NY. He dribbled way too much, ran to the ball to get catches, and stagnated offensive. He seemed generally unhappy after about 2 months as well. A change of scenery might do him good but i was not a fan here in NY

100% agreed He was too much of a ball hog. Once he got the ball in the post you knew he was shooting. It was kind of annoying when you have Melo and Kristaps on the court too and other good shooters. He did have some big scoring games though.

DboneG
05-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Knicks need to hold on to Affalo. They need all the decent players they can get!

"Its been reported that Afflalo has interest in joining the Clips".....Maybe that's his agent stirring the pot, in order to get a nice raise for his client, Affalo.

Bottom line: Knicks need to be adding decent players, not subtracting.

HeartOfStarks
05-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Knicks need to hold on to Affalo. They need all the decent players they can get!

"Its been reported that Afflalo has interest in joining the Clips".....Maybe that's his agent stirring the pot, in order to get a nice raise for his client, Affalo.

Bottom line: Knicks need to be adding decent players, not subtracting.

Couldn't disagree more. I want him gone. Give me the $8 mil of cap space he opens up by leaving. Much more valuable to us this offseason IMO.

meloman1592
05-18-2016, 04:44 PM
He honestly isn't that good and I'll gladly let him walk. I'll call him an uber actually. Guy is a chuck and visibly ignored Porzingis countless times. Not much of a defender either if you ask me. He pulls up his shorts and puts on an angry face but he's not about to stop anyone. Give me Lance Thomas 10/10 times over this kobe wannabe

HeartOfStarks
05-18-2016, 04:45 PM
He's on the decline... He's better suited coming off the bench which he didn't want to do, his defense has fallen off, offensively while efficient, he's inconsistent. With all that being said he would fit nice with the Clips but he's better suited as the 6th man.

+1, he's a bench player at this point. 20 mpg and if he doesn't try to do too much playing against second units he could still likely be useful.

He's not the same player he was 3-4 years ago though on either end, that's for sure.

TheNumber37
05-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Inconsistency. The Knicks expected him to be the number 2 scorer behind Melo. At 13 ppg, that's not gonna cut it. All things considered, he didn't have a terrible year offensively. But when his shot wasn't falling, he wasn't doing much else.

At times Sasha Vujacic outplayed him on the defensive side of the ball. Being more of a pesk, getting back on F quicker and playing the passing lanes better.
No one should be outplayed by Sasha and lose their starting job

TheNumber37
05-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Afflalo is a 7th or 8th man on a championship team.

He should sign with San Antonio, GSW, Clips or OKC

D-Leethal
05-18-2016, 07:17 PM
He's a solid rotation piece, preferably off the bench. He plays a fearless style which I respect but it also gets him into situations over his head. Has a lot of pride and wears his heart on his sleeve so you will occasionally get some flare ups with him.

He was asked to do too much for us - similar to JR - on a deeper team with established hierarchy he will still thrive. He had a couple really good stretches for us - IIRC he went 20-25 games scoring like 18ppg on 57% shooting. Underrated post player. Doesn't do much else but score. Definitely has tunnel vision but he doesn't take a lot of bad shots, he will go to work in the post and get himself good looks at the basket.

Good fit for the Clips, better than Paul Pierce in that role for sure. He battles 1 on 1 on D but gets lazy with rotations and close outs but he seems to be the type of guy who miraculously plays much better D on an established contender.

D-Leethal
05-18-2016, 07:25 PM
As the Knicks season began to spiral his attitude went with it and he became a preferred target for Knicks fans, especially because Melo was clearly buying in and trying to play team ball so we left him alone for the most part and went after AA.

nycericanguy
05-18-2016, 09:52 PM
His defense is not even average anymore, he's a slow player, and offers little to nothing outside of scoring.

And then there's the consistency, he was one of the most inconsistent players in the NBA... measuring nights under 25% and games over 50%. It was all or nothing offensively.

Attitude is also questionable, clashed with Rambis when he was demoted to the bench.

He's a good bench piece but he wants to start and thinks he's a "premier" guard... his own words. Ideally he's a guy that you bench when his shot isn't falling, but he doesn't seem like the type that would accept that role.

He also almost never gets to the FT line anymore as his game is basically mid range jumpers.

Very solid mid range shot though, good 3pt shooter and good post game.

also i find it odd that he seems to wear out his welcome everywhere he goes. He's always been on a reasonable contract and fairly young, yet he will be on his 7th team in 9 years next year.

DboneG
05-19-2016, 07:44 AM
This will be an interesting summer for the NBA. We now see the Knicks picked Jeff Hornacek to lead them. INTERESTING! It's not like star players are falling over to go play for this guy. It will be very interesting to see who lands in N.Y. In the mean time...Who do the Knicks have?!

Jose Calderon...he's a baller! Superstar!
Cleanthony Early...future MVP of the league!
Langston Galloway.... Decent.
Jerian Grant...who? Who is this guy?
Sasha Vujacic....this guy can go!! He can fly! HOF material!
Tony Wroten...?

The Knicks have a bunch of below average players on their roster. KNICKS NEED TO ADD DECENT PLAYERS NOT TAKE AWAY.

Afflalo is decent.

Scoots
05-19-2016, 10:23 AM

This. The Clippers have picked up enough players on the decline in recent years ... they should be looking for a SF on the climb, and there are a lot of them in this draft.

ewing
05-19-2016, 10:28 AM
This. The Clippers have picked up enough players on the decline in recent years ... they should be looking for a SF on the climb, and there are a lot of them in this draft.

i agree. the clips could use a little energy at that spot

nycericanguy
05-19-2016, 10:58 AM

agreed... DOC just seems to love old guys though. Why did they ever let Dudley go? Seemed like the perfect 3 & D SF for them and They had him when he was 27 years old making dirt cheap money... I guess he was too young?...lol

Tony_Starks
05-19-2016, 11:03 AM
AA is going to help some smart team win a championship some day, mark my words.

He needs to be on a legit contender, what he does is wasted on the Knicks of the world.

Bivory
05-19-2016, 11:06 AM
No hate for AA. He plays tough and keeps coming all night. His game requires a lot of energy so he can have off nights especially when his legs give. For the 8mill the Knicks had him for, he was a steal. Great guy to come off the bench and provide some good offense. Not very athletic and not known for sharing the ball so as a starter, I would pass. But he could be very valuable off the bench if he's willing to do that

Heediot
05-19-2016, 11:12 AM
The on court production causes the Knicks' fans to be over reliant on the liks, that's why they hate AA.

Scoots
05-19-2016, 11:19 AM
AA is going to help some smart team win a championship some day, mark my words.

He needs to be on a legit contender, what he does is wasted on the Knicks of the world.

He better hurry, not too much time left in those soon to be 31 year old legs.

Scoots
05-19-2016, 11:21 AM
agreed... DOC just seems to love old guys though. Why did they ever let Dudley go? Seemed like the perfect 3 & D SF for them and They had him when he was 27 years old making dirt cheap money... I guess he was too young?...lol

That Dudley deal is one of the dumber ones Doc has done.

I'd love to see the Clips figure out a way to get Batum and actually run the offense through him and CP3 rather than putting so much pressure on CP3 to start EVERYTHING on that team.

Tony_Starks
05-19-2016, 11:24 AM
He better hurry, not too much time left in those soon to be 31 year old legs.

Well I wouldn't necessarily say that. It's not like he's going to asked to carry a team. D and 3, plug him in to a system like the Spurs, Cavs, or Thunder and he could flourish for years.

Imagine if OKC had him instead of Roberson? It would be a wrap!

Heediot
05-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Not necessarily, OKC had a similar player in Thefo before and they were about the same as they are now. I think OKC has more talent then people give them credit for. It's when KD and Westy iso too much and when people lack touches on offense it ****s with their psyche and they are not as mentally into the game as they should be. That's how it is when you play with iso guys and black holes.

Scoots
05-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Well I wouldn't necessarily say that. It's not like he's going to asked to carry a team. D and 3, plug him in to a system like the Spurs, Cavs, or Thunder and he could flourish for years.

But if he doesn't get on a team that is near title contention now he's not likely to win one in the next few years.

Who knows maybe he's on the Warriors next year and I'm hoping you were right :)

Heediot
05-19-2016, 11:47 AM
If he can play backup SF, he would be a good pick up for the LAC. We all know Doc is keepin Austin and giving him his minutes. I just hope doc moves Austin to backup SG. Austin sucks at running an offense, but i'll give him credit for some solid defense. They can afford to play AA in a small ball backup lineup. I don't see him replacing JJ as a starter or don't see him defending 3's well enough to start at SF.

nycericanguy
05-19-2016, 11:49 AM

problem is he threw a tantrum when he was moved to 6th man, he wants to start and says he is a "premier guard" in this league.

If he accepted a bench role like Crawford or JR smith in NY, then he could be a good piece.

believeinNYK
05-19-2016, 01:29 PM

problem is he threw a tantrum when he was moved to 6th man, he wants to start and says he is a "premier guard" in this league.

If he accepted a bench role like Crawford or JR smith in NY, then he could be a good piece.
But then again that discontent with coming off the bench I believe had a lot more to do with the fact he was coming off the bench for us, the knicks. I'm sure if he went to some contender or even a more legit playoff team he would accept a bench role if it was clear they had someone better starting

rhymeratic
05-19-2016, 03:41 PM
I look FORWARD to answering this:

1. NOT a player for a rebuilding team!!!!! He wants to be the MAN but his game is inconsistent.
2. He will look for HIS rather than making the right play.
3. he would be great as a 6th man on a top 4 contending team.

Crackadalic
05-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Why do people call him a 3 and D guy? He doesn't even play defense.

When he's good he can help you win

When he's off he's reallllly off. Like 0 across the board off

He can be a good bench piece but he's not a starter anymore but he got upset he was moved to the bench

D-Leethal
05-20-2016, 07:49 PM
But then again that discontent with coming off the bench I believe had a lot more to do with the fact he was coming off the bench for us, the knicks. I'm sure if he went to some contender or even a more legit playoff team he would accept a bench role if it was clear they had someone better starting

I tend to agree. It also happened as Kurt took over for Fish so he probably felt slighted as if Rambo was trying to demote him and make him the scapegoat for a team spiraling out of control.

MELO 15
05-20-2016, 08:10 PM
His defense is very over rated, He is a rally killer, doesn't like to pass the ball when touched on the block, and forces a lot of shots when posting up. If he has an open jump shot within 15 feet of the basket he has a tendency to fade a lot which decreases his percentage. He has that Im the $h!t demeanor about his self, and he really isn't. He is a former of himself, those detroit and nuggets days are way behind him. I think that about somes it up.

Kashmir13579
05-20-2016, 11:30 PM
He is a consummate professional who had a bad year on a bad team. Don't forget this guy was an allstar and is capable of dropping 30 points on any given night. I was excited to see him join the Knicks, and would gladly take him back if he would still have us.

Kashmir13579
05-20-2016, 11:32 PM
I don't see any reason why he would resist coming off the bench on a legitimate winning squad. To me this guy wants to win.