PDA

View Full Version : Miami HEAT: Players we should go after this Summer?

King Koopa
05-16-2016, 08:20 PM
What's up guys, just wanted to see who you guys were interested in getting this off season aside from of course Durant :rolleyes:

You can suggest any player(s) you'd like, just make sure to explain WHY YOU want this player(s) on our roster and what he can contribute to the team! You can also argue someone else's point :cool: because at the end of the day we're all here to agree to disagree!

I'll start first by suggesting, Batum from the Hornets and Noah from the Bulls

If we're going to continue our small ball routine and Bosh isn't able to come back because of his blood clots, I believe he would be a perfect fit, High IQ, solid shooter, great passer, great defender/team defender and can move with or without the ball. I basically picture him being a younger more upgraded version of Shane Battier

Noah would, should come at a cheaper price considering the fact that he hasn't exactly done much the past 2 seasons because of injuries. He could definitely mentor Whiteside to play with much more of a motor, help Whiteside with is pick and roll defense and even PASSING (Noah is known for being one of the better big men when it comes to setting up teammates) Plus he could be great insurance if WHiteside were to get into foul trouble. Only issues I have with him is obviously his health, can he really contribute for 70+ games and a playoff run.

So a lineup of...

Dragic/Johnson
Wade/Richardson
Joe/Winslow
Batum/Winslow
Whiteside/Noah

ROY 2 MVP Braun
05-16-2016, 10:30 PM
I don't know what kind of value Noah has but I think he will get an offer too big for miami. Plus I think he could still be a starter. I will say though that od rather have Noah at 10-15 mil a year rather then pay Whiteside max or near max. HW may be better but for the money you save you could improve the team elsewhere why not losing that much going for HW to JN.

I think Batum would be a good for with Dragic and Wade. Maybe even go small and he plays the 4 with JJ at the 3.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
05-16-2016, 10:31 PM
I think that Grevis Vasquez could be a good cheaper option for a back up pg/sg. He's coming off an injury riddled season for my bucks but he would be a nice fit in the back court with Wade and Dragic.

lavilevi23
05-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Love the Idea of Noah as a backup. Definitely a Riley type player. I rather resign Deng for much cheaper than get Batum for close to max.

naps
05-17-2016, 01:10 AM
Good thread. However, I think it is mandatory to bring the cap space into this discussion because without it the names you guys are bringing up is not going to make any sense whatsoever. Where do we get all the money to sign both Batum and Noah while keeping Wade, Whiteside, and Joe? I think we have around 38 million right now, around 44 millions if we get rid of MacTrash. How do we figure Wade, Whiteside, Batum, Noah, and Joe with this amount unless Wade and Whiteside takes about half their market price?

naps
05-17-2016, 01:17 AM
Also someone please tell me why do we have to fit Wade into the cap space? Why cant we sign him going over the cap? Dont we have his bird rights? If not then how and why? This is so dumb if we dont have his bird rights. I am confused.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
05-17-2016, 01:31 AM
Also someone please tell me why do we have to fit Wade into the cap space? Why cant we sign him going over the cap? Dont we have his bird rights? If not then how and why? This is so dumb if we dont have his bird rights. I am confused.

They would have to renounce wades bird rights to give Whiteside a max

ROY 2 MVP Braun
05-17-2016, 01:40 AM
I think the part your confused by and if I understand it is that to have bird right to a player that you have to have the cap hold for that player. I think as long as you don't sign any 1 player that would leave less than his 20 mil cap hold that you would be alright to spend the 38 to 44 mil (I think it in there) than sign him last and go over the cap but if u have 44 and want a max player for 28-32 mil per that would leave less than his 20 cap hold so ud have to release his bird rights.

Can someone correct me if im misunderstanding this?

naps
05-17-2016, 02:40 AM
Thanks for your attempt but I am still not clear. What exactly makes teams renounce bird rights and how amd when do these cap holds work? What I am trying to understand is that what are differences in terms of criteria of having bird rights and not having one.

SteBO
05-17-2016, 08:18 AM
Don't expect Joe Johnson back....and I'm not entirely convinced Deng will be back either. Take those two things into consideration as well as getting McBob off the books, and I think Batum can be had while taking care of Hassan and Wade. Bringing back TJ is also important. I honestly don't think this roster needs a massive overhaul aside from the deadweight, who aside from McBob were minimum players

WaDe03
05-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Man we really screwed up by not getting Whitesides rights. Good thing we did with TJ and pretty sure we did with Weber as well just in case. Batum is nice but I say aim high to start see what happens and work your way down. We will have time to talk to a lot of players and I expect us to be very busy. I almost expect a Dragic trade especially if we land a Durant/LeBron. While Dragic is our best offensive PG TJ and JRich are better defensively already I believe and are better shooters. They can defend and spot up to shoot or attack off the dribble. The ball will be in Wades, Durant/LeBron/KDs, possibly Bosh, and Whitesides hands a lot. We need shooters on the perimeter like TJ and JRich for this reason. I think we should try to keep JJ with the MLE but bring him off the bench. A legit back up center is a must as well. I do not want to be in this situation again next year.

I know I didn't really answer the question I will give a better more thought out answer when I get some free time.

blade151
05-17-2016, 12:20 PM
We really cant consider Lebron, if he was to leave CLE again, it would ruin his rep and he just got back to good standing with most of the world. He has to live with it now, otherwise he will always be considered as someone who couldnt lead a team on his own.

Im not so sure Whiteside is worth the max. Really good player and he is key to our D as a paint protector but for $20M, Im wondering if his immaturity will come into effect now that he has his guaranteed money. Hope we can find a middle ground but someone will make the offer and I see him taking the highest one.

Wade is going to get his payday as he has taken much less over the years for the better of the team. This is likely his last contract and after these playoffs, he deserves his $20M.

Personally Id like to keep Deng. His veteran leadership and defensive presence kept us in the Toronto series most games. Too bad his scoring fell off, but player value is more than just offense.

Joe Johnson I would have said is automatic, but after these playoffs, its hard to say. I do think he can come cheap as he made almost $120M. Come off the bench and lead the second unit for a reasonable salary.

McBob is going to be hard to trade. $5M for someone that rode the bench most of the year when he wasnt hurt. He has been a huge disappointment, I admittedly was high on him coming here and sadly I was wrong.

KD is a pipe dream, if we couldnt land Aldridge, why would KD come when he can stay in OKC or head to LA or even Boston. Personally As much as I hate it, he would be the missing link for the Celtics...or any team for that matter. Guess it depends on how OKC does in this series with GSW and if it means more to play with Westbrook.

Id love to see Lebron come back with the young core we have of Whiteside, Winslow, Richardson, and TJ. Dragic is someone I really like when he plays his game but I think we need to trade him for some 1st round picks and fillers because our system doesnt allow him to do what he does best.

The Bosh thing is probably going to handcuff us for a while, at least until the 2017 season. I dont see Riley waiting as Wade is about to play his last few years and time is running out.

All this said, Riley makes things happen that we never thought possible so who the heck knows?

naps
05-17-2016, 12:28 PM
I love the idea of bringing Noah in. He shouldn't cost as much as people thought he would 2 years ago. He is a game changer with his unique skillset. Best passing center in the league, elite defensive presence, and extremely high basketball IQ. Only problem is he always seems to be injured. In a perfect world he should be backing up Whiteside here but I cant fathom us spending so much at one position while the entire league is adjusting to small ball and shooting.

WaDe03
05-17-2016, 12:31 PM
We really cant consider Lebron, if he was to leave CLE again, it would ruin his rep and he just got back to good standing with most of the world. He has to live with it now, otherwise he will always be considered as someone who couldnt lead a team on his own.

Im not so sure Whiteside is worth the max. Really good player and he is key to our D as a paint protector but for $20M, Im wondering if his immaturity will come into effect now that he has his guaranteed money. Hope we can find a middle ground but someone will make the offer and I see him taking the highest one.

Wade is going to get his payday as he has taken much less over the years for the better of the team. This is likely his last contract and after these playoffs, he deserves his $20M.

Personally Id like to keep Deng. His veteran leadership and defensive presence kept us in the Toronto series most games. Too bad his scoring fell off, but player value is more than just offense.

Joe Johnson I would have said is automatic, but after these playoffs, its hard to say. I do think he can come cheap as he made almost $120M. Come off the bench and lead the second unit for a reasonable salary.

McBob is going to be hard to trade. $5M for someone that rode the bench most of the year when he wasnt hurt. He has been a huge disappointment, I admittedly was high on him coming here and sadly I was wrong.

KD is a pipe dream, if we couldnt land Aldridge, why would KD come when he can stay in OKC or head to LA or even Boston. Personally As much as I hate it, he would be the missing link for the Celtics...or any team for that matter. Guess it depends on how OKC does in this series with GSW and if it means more to play with Westbrook.

Id love to see Lebron come back with the young core we have of Whiteside, Winslow, Richardson, and TJ. Dragic is someone I really like when he plays his game but I think we need to trade him for some 1st round picks and fillers because our system doesnt allow him to do what he does best.

The Bosh thing is probably going to handcuff us for a while, at least until the 2017 season. I dont see Riley waiting as Wade is about to play his last few years and time is running out.

All this said, Riley makes things happen that we never thought possible so who the heck knows?

I wouldn't say anything is a pipe dream until we hear otherwise. We offered Aldridge the MLE or vet minimum for 1 year I can't remember which it was but that's why he didn't come. If we offer Durant it will be at the very least 22M in my opinion possibly a little less.

WaDe03
05-17-2016, 12:36 PM
I love the idea of bringing Noah in. He shouldn't cost as much as people thought he would 2 years ago. He is a game changer with his unique skillset. Best passing center in the league, elite defensive presence, and extremely high basketball IQ. Only problem is he always seems to be injured. In a perfect world he should be backing up Whiteside here but I cant fathom us spending so much at one position while the entire league is adjusting to small ball and shooting.

Thing is while small ball is taking over every elite team is playing a legit center. Hell OKC has found their rhythm because they are playing their big men. Warriors play Bogut and Ezeli, Spurs play Duncan but then go a little smaller with West or Diaw. Cavs play TT. Having Whiteside and Noah will be a positive. Whiteside can dominate off of lobs and offensive rebounds as well as help side defense. Noah will bring something different off the bench, where Whiteside is garbage at Noah is elite at or was elite. Like you said best passer and can play really good team and man to man defense. He also plays with a fire inside him which is always good. I've always said I hate Noah but if he was on my team I would love him.

Slug3
05-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Don't expect Joe Johnson back....and I'm not entirely convinced Deng will be back either. Take those two things into consideration as well as getting McBob off the books, and I think Batum can be had while taking care of Hassan and Wade. Bringing back TJ is also important. I honestly don't think this roster needs a massive overhaul aside from the deadweight, who aside from McBob were minimum players

I don't think there is going to be much of a big splash in FA or that we even need it. We really need to stay healthy as a core so we can all be able to start to gel together and play together.

Joe and Mcbob somehow need to be gone no matter what. Should resign TJ and Whiteside. Deng I am on the fence about, he played good all year and did good in the playoffs, but I really wouldn't want to offer him more than the 10 million a year he was getting and really don't want him for more than another year so Winslow can eventually become a starter.

Wade n Fade
05-22-2016, 12:55 AM
Pau Gasol is our likeliest pickup.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Don't want anything to do with Pau.

WaDe03
05-22-2016, 02:31 AM
Pau Gasol is our likeliest pickup.

Why do you say this?

Wade n Fade
05-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Why do you say this?

Fills a Bosh role, won't command a significant salary like Horford, and has shown interest in playing for us in the past.

AllBall
05-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Don't mean to rain on your parade OP, but don't we already have a Roster Speculation thread?

hotdalton18
05-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Why do you say this?

Fills a Bosh role, won't command a significant salary like Horford, and has shown interest in playing for us in the past.

He only wanted to play here to join LeBron lol

WaDe03
05-23-2016, 11:32 PM
Ill take gasol depending on the Bosh situation.

Deng/Bosh
Whiteside/Bosh

He's not needed in that scenario.

Bosh/Deng
Whiteside/Bosh

Not needed there either unless he's willing to see maybe 10 minutes a game at the most behind Whiteside.

Deng/Gasol
Whiteside/Gasol

If there is no Bosh he is needed and he's still a monster honestly. He puts up really good numbers and wants to win every game. He would fill that hole nicely and if he would be willing to come and not get tons of playing time I would love him but I don't think that would be possible.

Mr. Baller
05-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Ill take gasol depending on the Bosh situation.

Deng/Bosh
Whiteside/Bosh

He's not needed in that scenario.

Bosh/Deng
Whiteside/Bosh

Not needed there either unless he's willing to see maybe 10 minutes a game at the most behind Whiteside.

Deng/Gasol
Whiteside/Gasol

If there is no Bosh he is needed and he's still a monster honestly. He puts up really good numbers and wants to win every game. He would fill that hole nicely and if he would be willing to come and not get tons of playing time I would love him but I don't think that would be possible.

Pau at his current state is the definition of empty stats. He can't play the 4 anymore and plays 0 defense. No thanks

hotdalton18
05-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Yeah gasol is trash

And like I said he only had interest to join Bron

WaDe03
05-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Those are pretty damn good empty stats. The Bulls had the same injury problems this year that we had last year. I think he could contribute. If Bosh can't play you guys wouldn't take him for the exception? Let's not forget he was an all star this year. If Bosh is good to go and we keep Deng then of course I wouldn't take him unless it's for the minimum but if we don't have Bosh and we can get him for cheap it's a great move in my opinion.

beasted86
05-24-2016, 03:35 PM
2016/17 Salary cap projection $92M (source (https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/721044939040243712) 04/16/2016).

We realistically don't have much a chance of signing anyone else unfortunately, so I expect a lot of frustrated fans come July when Miami remains mostly inactive. They will instead remain focused on keeping the guys they already have and getting Bosh prepared to come back in October.

Whiteside:
I don't think we can keep him without giving a contract averaging about $20M a season. I say that pretty much should be the limit to what Riley should even offer though. 4yr/$80 sounds right based on the market.

Contract with 7.5% early Bird raises: $18.00M, $19.35M, $20.7M, $22.05M = 4yr/$80.1M

Deng:
I would realistically like him back for basically the contract he signed 2 years ago (2yr/$19.8M). If it's more years or more money than that, we may have to let him go. Scrubs like Shumpert make $9M+. There's a chance he may go for one last pay day else where. But below is what amount and years I would cap my offer at.

Contract with 7.5% early Bird raises: $9.5M, $10.21M = 2yr/$19.7M

Wade:
He's earned 1 last big pay day, but will Riley be able to convince him to trust that he will get his due next summer instead? That's the big question and decision Wade and Riley will have to deal with. Based on the salary cap and the two contracts I listed above, it would only leave Wade about $14.5M to sign. If Riley were to suggest he take that $14.5M next year and get a $25M raise in 2017, the contract would average out to $20M over the 2 years which is probably a good number for everyone involved. Otherwise Riley has to find a taker for McRoberts and give Wade the $20M now.

Contract $1yr / $14.5M

T. Johnson:
His qualifying offer is only $1,056,324. That's all that Miami needs to leave available, then they can go over the cap to sign him all the way up to his poison pill max. But I don't expect him to sign a long term contract. I expect him to bet on himself and sign something like a 2yr/$8M contract, with a player option on the 2nd season. That way he is an unrestricted free agent next summer when the cap rises even further (early projections are $108M).

Slug3
05-24-2016, 04:25 PM
2016/17 Salary cap projection $92M (source (https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/721044939040243712) 04/16/2016).

We realistically don't have much a chance of signing anyone else unfortunately, so I expect a lot of frustrated fans come July when Miami remains mostly inactive. They will instead remain focused on keeping the guys they already have and getting Bosh prepared to come back in October.

Whiteside:
I don't think we can keep him without giving a contract averaging about $20M a season. I say that pretty much should be the limit to what Riley should even offer though. 4yr/$80 sounds right based on the market.

Contract with 7.5% early Bird raises: $18.00M, $19.35M, $20.7M, $22.05M = 4yr/$80.1M

Deng:
I would realistically like him back for basically the contract he signed 2 years ago (2yr/$19.8M). If it's more years or more money than that, we may have to let him go. Scrubs like Shumpert make $9M+. There's a chance he may go for one last pay day else where. But below is what amount and years I would cap my offer at.

Contract with 7.5% early Bird raises: $9.5M, $10.21M = 2yr/$19.7M

Wade:
He's earned 1 last big pay day, but will Riley be able to convince him to trust that he will get his due next summer instead? That's the big question and decision Wade and Riley will have to deal with. Based on the salary cap and the two contracts I listed above, it would only leave Wade about $14.5M to sign. If Riley were to suggest he take that $14.5M next year and get a $25M raise in 2017, the contract would average out to $20M over the 2 years which is probably a good number for everyone involved. Otherwise Riley has to find a taker for McRoberts and give Wade the $20M now.

Contract $1yr / $14.5M

T. Johnson:
His qualifying offer is only $1,056,324. That's all that Miami needs to leave available, then they can go over the cap to sign him all the way up to his poison pill max. But I don't expect him to sign a long term contract. I expect him to bet on himself and sign something like a 2yr/$8M contract, with a player option on the 2nd season. That way he is an unrestricted free agent next summer when the cap rises even further (early projections are $108M).

Me personally am fine with this same core if we can get a year of everyone mostly being healthy. Thats what is important to me. We have good pieces, they just never get to play together.

The big question is going to be Bosh. If he can come back and stay healthy then a Lineup of
Dragic
Wade
Deng/Winslow
Bosh
Whiteside

would be find by me. If he cannot then I feel we push harder to keep Deng and go with
Dragic
Wade
Winslow
Deng
Whiteside

Which I think is still pretty solid. TJ and Richardson can hopefully keep developing and get their shot down as well.

If Bosh does have to retire we will at least have his salary off the book in the following free agency to go after someone. I think we should bite the bullet now and give wade a 3 year deal at hopefully around 50 million.

Dade County
05-28-2016, 12:12 AM
Good Thread Topic (I'm late to the party).

Realistic moves that the avg fan can wrap their mind around.

Nicolas Batum!

After getting Whiteside to agree on a contract, Miami should be having a meeting with Batum. Pat can hold off on Deng and JJ.

... ......

But of course I rather Pat get KD, and somehow convinced Whiteside to sign a 2yr deal (team friendly, but he still gets around 19mil) with a one year opt out (then they sign Whiteside for a 5yr max contract next off season). Wade would also have to sign a one year deal again (lol, I no most likely not happening), then next off season, get his money and retire lol

But the 2 players I would love are KD & Batum! But realistically, keeping Whiteside & getting Batum would be great!

Dragon
Wade
Batum
Bosh (Bosh is good)
Whiteside

Dream: Players like Wade & Whiteside taking less this season to get paid in full next off season
Dragon
Wade
Batum
KD / Bosh
Whiteside / Bosh

naps
05-28-2016, 03:00 AM
Hey man how do you have KD without AD? Remember, AD leads to KD?

Dade County
05-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Hey man how do you have KD without AD? Remember, AD leads to KD?

Of course I still hope that happens! LoL

Don't worry, if it ever goes down, I'll be the first to post it LMAO

beasted86
05-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Putting the KD pipe dream on the backburner...

Scenario/Comparison:
Afflalo @ $8M vs Deng @ 10M?

I think I still like Deng overall, but just throwing this idea out there see what others think. He's a higher percentage and volume 3P shooter.

naps
05-31-2016, 05:14 PM
Deng without wasting a second.

beasted86
05-31-2016, 05:53 PM
Deng without wasting a second. Yeah, just thought I'd throw it out there. Deng is more versatile and just way better defensively.

But I will say this...if Deng wants a salary that prevents us from keeping Whiteside and Wade, then I'd be happy with Afflalo as a consolation prize. Otherwise if there's any way to keep those 3 then go with that original plan instead.

naps
05-31-2016, 11:00 PM
I am more intrigued about Batum. He is extremely versatile but pretty sure he would cost way more.

Dade County
06-01-2016, 12:41 AM
I am more intrigued about Batum. He is extremely versatile but pretty sure he would cost way more.

This...

I believe Whiteside & Batum are Miami number 1 targets in free agency (besides KD).

Dragon, Wade, Batum, ?, Whiteside

Bosh as 6man (and in the last 5min)

beasted86
06-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Of course I'd want Batum, but can we afford him? I don't think so.

Last year he made $13M and will be looking for a raise. Deng also had a productive finish to the season and will probably look for one last big pay day, and at 31 years old he will probably want something 3-4 years.

Afflalo seems like he's just trying to escape that Knicks situation that saw him on the bench to finish the season with no real communication from management as to why it happened. He also only made $8M, and looks to be the most affordable out of the group of wings the HEAT might have interest in (Deng, Batum, Marvin, Parsons, etc).

WaDe03
06-01-2016, 04:54 PM
I read the other day Batum is going to try and sign with Charlotte ASAP.