PDA

View Full Version : If Steph Curry wins the chip this year, has he the better career than Dwayne Wade?

HandsOnTheWheel
05-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Opinions?

I totally spelled Dwyane Wade wrong.

Tony_Starks
05-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Has Kendrick Lamar had a better career than Nas?

HandsOnTheWheel
05-16-2016, 02:35 PM
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Duly noted.

Tony_Starks
05-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Think nothing of it sir.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2016, 02:45 PM
not yet, nope. As great as Steph is right now, he needs a little longevity. If T-Mac is discarded by everyone, it shows no matter how awesome you are for a couple straight years, if you don't do it for a while, you aren't joining the greats. Now I know T-Mac didn't win MVPs, and rings, but he is just an example of a guy whose peak stands up there with anyone (like Steph's currently), but went away

ewing
05-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Is Anthony Hopkins a better bald British actor then Sean Connery?

ManningToTyree
05-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Is Anthony Hopkins a better bald British actor then Sean Connery? Yes

Hawkeye15
05-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Is Anthony Hopkins a better bald British actor then Sean Connery?

yes

WaDe03
05-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Is the Pope Jewish?

DR_1
05-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Yes. I think Wade is very overrated

ManRam
05-16-2016, 03:40 PM
No. Curry is up there in terms of peak greatness, but longevity still means a lot. He's not there yet.

jerellh528
05-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Not yet. A better one would be wade vs Dirk career wise.

lol, please
05-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Yes

yes

Please stop.

Hopkins has both legendary roles (Hannibal) and mediocre ones (The Legend of Zorro). He is one of my favorite actors, but Sean Connery is > Hopkins. Connery had some of the best James Bond roles ever, and still was a massive impact in the industry even through Hopkins biggest years. He did The Rock in the twighlight of his career for crying out loud.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Please stop.

Hopkins has both legendary roles (Hannibal) and mediocre ones (The Legend of Zorro). He is one of my favorite actors, but Sean Connery is > Hopkins. Connery had some of the best James Bond roles ever, and still was a massive impact in the industry even through Hopkins biggest years. He did The Rock in the twighlight of his career for crying out loud.

No way dude. Frist off, let me remind you of Medicine Man, an injustice to us all. Hopkins was amazing in the Hannibal series, Fracture he was good, and what about Odin? Huh?

nastynice
05-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Speaking of greatness, can we throw Hugh Grant into the mix?

jason
05-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Not yet but he will

5ass
05-16-2016, 04:55 PM

Sinbad is the GOAT.

ewing
05-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Sinbad is the GOAT.

not British or bald. Stay on topic

Beltrans Mole
05-16-2016, 05:03 PM
I'll say yes to this. It may seem a bit premature, even with 2 rings vs Wade's 3, but Steph impacts the game at such a greater level than Wade ever has.

TrueFan420
05-16-2016, 05:21 PM

First I want to state it's foolish to compare the two when ones career is ending and the other is entering his prime with many years to go.

But you can't seriously be comparing Wade to Nas. Wade isn't even top 10 all time. Nas is arguably the greatest rapper and the greatest lyricist of all time.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2016, 05:36 PM

for actress?

Dade County
05-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Prime Wade on this HEAt team, with Bosh & healthy Whiteside would have won it all this year; beating GS, OKC or Cav's.

But I do believe Curry peak is on another level though.

Raidaz4Life
05-16-2016, 06:20 PM

To say his range is anything short of phenomenal would be an injustice

HandsOnTheWheel
05-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Great discussion.

TheNumber37
05-16-2016, 06:43 PM
2 league MVPs to Wade's 0/

Best shooter of all time with 402 threes made in a season.

30, 5, 5 on 50, 45, 90.

Curry is changing basketball, Wade hasn't had that impact.

Curry is becoming a global icon in away that Wade was never despite his greatness

R. Johnson#3
05-16-2016, 07:02 PM

:clap:

jason
05-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Prime Wade on this HEAt team, with Bosh & healthy Whiteside would have won it all this year; beating GS, OKC or Cav's.

Interesting but I doubt it on all 3 teams

Monta is beast
05-16-2016, 07:32 PM

No. This team is no question an all time great, you cant just say that the heat would be one of if not the greatest team of all time out of thin air.

nastynice
05-16-2016, 08:39 PM
not British or bald. Stay on topic

Serious. Reported.

ewing
05-17-2016, 12:17 AM
if they lose to the Thunder is he better then Chris Mullen?

WaDe03
05-17-2016, 02:46 AM
Man Curry has become overrated fast. Let's just throw away all 13 years of Wade career because Curry has had 2-3 good years. ***** hilarious.

naps
05-17-2016, 03:58 AM
Talk about living in the moment...

Tumstock
05-17-2016, 07:59 AM
Man Curry has become overrated fast. Let's just throw away all 13 years of Wade career because Curry has had 2-3 good years. ***** hilarious.

Let's.. Because curry is taking a crap on wade's career!

Slug3
05-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Let's.. Because curry is taking a crap on wade's career!

Yeah lets act like Wades 09 season never happened where his best help was Michael Beasley.

Beltrans Mole
05-17-2016, 09:19 AM

Pretty ironic comments coming from the guy who has probably overrated Wade more than anyone I've ever seen.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Pretty ironic comments coming from the guy who has probably overrated Wade more than anyone I've ever seen.

he absolutely does, but Curry has a ways to go to be a top 25-30 player ever, of which Wade already is...

Wade n Fade
05-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Can we stop with these dumb comparison posts? Wade is a totally different player than Curry. Wade put up one of the best Finals performances of all time. Iggy won the 2015 Finals MVP. Steph hasn't been what he is now for his entire career. Wade is a better shot blocker and slasher. Enough said.

KnicksorBust
05-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Longevity is incredibly valuable. There is no doubt that to have a truly historic career a player should be great for many years. All the all-time greats gave us at least a decade of incredible performances. However, I went yes here and I'm going to tell you why. His 2 league MVPs, 73 wins, and 2 rings will at the end of the day surpass whatever Wade has done. If your only argument is he needs to log more minutes then that is a virtual guarantee. At that point it's just a game of punch the clock. What exact *minute* will Curry have to have played to pass Wade? I can guarantee no one in this thread will be able to answer that question.

Slug3
05-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Longevity is incredibly valuable. There is no doubt that to have a truly historic career a player should be great for many years. All the all-time greats gave us at least a decade of incredible performances. However, I went yes here and I'm going to tell you why. His 2 league MVPs, 73 wins, and 2 rings will at the end of the day surpass whatever Wade has done. If your only argument is he needs to log more minutes then that is a virtual guarantee. At that point it's just a game of punch the clock. What exact *minute* will Curry have to have played to pass Wade? I can guarantee no one in this thread will be able to answer that question.

I could put Curry ahead of Wade in a few years 4/5 if Curry keeps this up (which I think he could). But at the moment I don't think he is. I mean there is no lock for him to even win the championship this year. I am basing the 4/5 years on if Curry doesnt win another ring or MVP as well so if he does win one this year and another MVP I think he could pass him in 2 years or so.

I think it will get interesting in 2 years when Steph is due for a new contract and what they are going to do with Barnes.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2016, 12:18 PM

Wade's 2006 finals would like to talk to you...

PhillyFaninLA
05-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Absolutely not, a ring is a team accomplishment not an individual one...it helps with legacy but not skill

Now if you want to make a case the Curry is better because of skill and not jewelry then you have an argument.

PhillyFaninLA
05-17-2016, 12:35 PM
First I want to state it's foolish to compare the two when ones career is ending and the other is entering his prime with many years to go.

But you can't seriously be comparing Wade to Nas. Wade isn't even top 10 all time. Nas is arguably the greatest rapper and the greatest lyricist of all time.

Lets focus on the big things...Nas or Lin-Manuel Miranda

Redrum187
05-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Not yet. A better one would be wade vs Dirk career wise.

Um? 99% of people have Dirk ahead of Wade... =/

TylerSL
05-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Well if Golden State wins again then both he and Wade will have gone back to back. Curry would also presumably have one Finals MVP, just like Wade, to go along with his 2 league MVP awards, unlike Wade. However Wade has won 3 NBA championships, has appeared in 5 NBA Finals, is a 12 time all star, and is arguably the greatest closer of his generation. Curry, who is the greatest shooter in the entire history of this league, has not achieved that status, and will not even if he captures his second consecutive NBA title this season. I have no doubt he'll place higher than Wade when it's all said and done, but you don't pass a player like Wade after only a couple great seasons.

Redrum187
05-17-2016, 12:48 PM

Very well said.

Chronz
05-17-2016, 12:51 PM

But you are like the champion of longevity and winning. Wade has both here.

WaDe03
05-17-2016, 01:05 PM

Short, simple, and to the point which is all that needs to be said.

Also if people think I overrate Wade that's fine. I have in anywhere from 15-20 all time. If you have him less than 25 I'll just assume you have a personal issue with him because that's just pretty ignorant.

I will say I never made a thread stating Wade is the best player ever after having the best finals performance ever. Curry is being overrated pretty fast and a my of guys in that thread were claiming he's already top 10. I've never overrated Wade that much.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2016, 01:09 PM

KoB, to piggyback this, you have Kobe top 5 all time. That goes directly against your reasoning in this thread

Goldman
05-17-2016, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=WaDe03;30925119]Short, simple, and to the point which is all that needs to be said.

Also if people think I overrate Wade that's fine. I have in anywhere from 15)

15-20 is way too high when you consider things like worst conference in league history (East 03-now).
Has missed something like 230 games in his career. His Playoff stats are inflated by the refs 04-08, Also playoff stats are inflated compared to other greats because they played in a better league and also only had 3 game first rounds instead of 7 games.

I think he is more like 30th best All Time if you're truly looking at all the greats that have played the game and if you're not position biased

kdspurman
05-17-2016, 02:26 PM
nope

KnicksorBust
05-17-2016, 02:43 PM
I could put Curry ahead of Wade in a few years 4/5 if Curry keeps this up (which I think he could). But at the moment I don't think he is. I mean there is no lock for him to even win the championship this year. I am basing the 4/5 years on if Curry doesnt win another ring or MVP as well so if he does win one this year and another MVP I think he could pass him in 2 years or so.

I think it will get interesting in 2 years when Steph is due for a new contract and what they are going to do with Barnes.

But isn't the whole premise of the thread that he has already won the title? That's not an "if" based on the OP.

Wade's 2006 finals would like to talk to you...

But is that one series really superior to 2 league mvps? Or leading a team to the greatest regular season ever?

Very well said.

Thanks. :)

But this is a different situation than comparing completed careers. I will elaborate more in the response below...

KoB, to piggyback this, you have Kobe top 5 all time. That goes directly against your reasoning in this thread

So let's take a quick look at Kobe. I love Kobe because he has over 10 All-NBA 1st teams. He was a top 5 in MVP voting for a decade. He has all defensive teams. He has 5 rings. etc. His longevity of greatness puts him in a rare category and his success individually and with the Lakers catapult him into the top 5 all-time on my list. He's done it. It happened. I'm not PROJECTING him to do things anything. I don't need him to accomplish anything beyond his capabilities because he already earned those awards.

That's why if Curry wins a championship this season he can pass Wade. He doesn't need to do anything beyond what he's already accomplished. If he continues to play at even a slightly less productive level of himself for 4 years then the debate is over. If I believed he needed to win more MVPs or more titles then it would be different because those are hardly guarantees. Him being an elite player is not even a projection it's just the player he is. I don't need time served because then it creates a subjective clock that is completely arbitrary. What if he's still this player for 2 years? 3 years? 3 and 1/2 years? When does he pass him? I prefer tangible moments. This is why Curry's title last year gave him the torch of best in the world from LeBron and another ring moves him past Wade.

mngopher35
05-17-2016, 04:00 PM
So let's take a quick look at Kobe. I love Kobe because he has over 10 All-NBA 1st teams. He was a top 5 in MVP voting for a decade. He has all defensive teams. He has 5 rings. etc. His longevity of greatness puts him in a rare category and his success individually and with the Lakers catapult him into the top 5 all-time on my list. He's done it. It happened. I'm not PROJECTING him to do things anything. I don't need him to accomplish anything beyond his capabilities because he already earned those awards.

That's why if Curry wins a championship this season he can pass Wade. He doesn't need to do anything beyond what he's already accomplished. If he continues to play at even a slightly less productive level of himself for 4 years then the debate is over. If I believed he needed to win more MVPs or more titles then it would be different because those are hardly guarantees. Him being an elite player is not even a projection it's just the player he is. I don't need time served because then it creates a subjective clock that is completely arbitrary. What if he's still this player for 2 years? 3 years? 3 and 1/2 years? When does he pass him? I prefer tangible moments. This is why Curry's title last year gave him the torch of best in the world from LeBron and another ring moves him past Wade.

I think you focus on awards way too much if that is the reasoning, especially ones that are team accomplishments. Just because a player is in a better situation doesn't make them the greater player but I feel like we have had that discussion about your list before.

When it comes to Wade and Curry specifically there just isn't close to enough longevity there yet. Curry has like 3 elite seasons while Wade is probably at around 7. Curry has had 3 more solid seasons while Wade has a few more again so there is no ground gained there.

This is the first season I think you can say easily that peak Curry is better than peak Wade (still has to finish off strong playoffs but I feel like that's assumed here). Wade in 09 lead the league in ppg, had a PER over 30 and BPM over 10 (Curry just now topped that, did not last year). The biggest difference for awards/results between Wade in 09 and last years Curry was simply the team surrounding them (very common when we use team results to judge). So with that being said how is one clearly better year enough to make up for the extra 6ish solid-elite seasons Wade has on him? He just isn't there yet.

You asked how many more minutes Curry needs to play to pass Wade but I tend to think # of seasons is a little more important (of course context matters though). I think he needs at least three more years around this level to be up there with Wade. In the playoffs Wade's average PER from 06-11 is higher than any single playoff run Curry has had so far unless this one improves since it's close. I have a hard time saying that because Curry happened into a better situation allowing for rings/mvps in his peak its enough to eliminate the years of amazing performances for Wade. Wade in the 06 finals was better than Curry last year in his finals win as well for big performances (where Curry wasn't even the best player on the court). Alright I am kinda rambling now but I wanted to make a point about the level of play in playoffs for each individual too since this regular season seems to have people overrating Curry now. Amazing player who is peaking at an unreal level but lets try and be rational about ranking him, he still has a ways to go before we can have him leap frogging greats like Wade.

t_money25
05-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Wow Curry is being seriously overrated these days. So if Curry wins a title this year(team accomplishment) that will give him two(compared to Wade's 3) rings he will go down as at least a top 25 player and doesn't even have to play another game for the rest of his career, he will still be considered than Wade? GTFOH

OceanSpray
05-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Wow Curry is being seriously overrated these days. So if Curry wins a title this year(team accomplishment) that will give him two(compared to Wade's 3) rings he will go down as at least a top 25 player and doesn't even have to play another game for the rest of his career, he will still be considered than Wade? GTFOH

It's just the Warriors fans, believe me. Newfound success has been hard for them to contain. The sad part is, many of them actually think it's true and then you find them on another thread with more silly nonsense being spewed. It's like they don't even understand how brainwashed they are. Curry didn't even win the Finals MVP.. Iguodala did! Let him get one of those first please!

jason
05-17-2016, 07:02 PM
It's just the Warriors fans, believe me. Newfound success has been hard for them to contain. The sad part is, many of them actually think it's true and then you find them on another thread with more silly nonsense being spewed. It's like they don't even understand how brainwashed they are. Curry didn't even win the Finals MVP.. Iguodala did! Let him get one of those first please!

Not true. If anything its none Warriors fans who start these kind of threads.

More-Than-Most
05-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Its the same MO really.... I hate how 2 years wipes away 13 plus seasons.... If anyone actually has curry in their top 25 they should just follow another sport.... He will get there no doubt barring injuries but jesus christ longevity matters.

jason
05-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Its the same MO really.... I hate how 2 years wipes away 13 plus seasons.... If anyone actually has curry in their top 25 they should just follow another sport.... He will get there no doubt barring injuries but jesus christ longevity matters.

Agreed. I don't actually see anybody who thinks that yet.. The OP is a Heat fan that looks like hes trying to stir the pot. The same situation happening in the game thread

HandsOnTheWheel
05-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Agreed. I don't actually see anybody who thinks that yet.. The OP is a Heat fan that looks like hes trying to stir the pot. The same situation happening in the game thread

Not at all. There's people who are comparing him to Jordan and I'm just gauging opinions on just how good people think Curry is. Dwyane Wade is more a measuring stick than anything.

Chronz
05-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Bingo.

TheBlackHole
05-17-2016, 09:35 PM
This question is kind of ludicrous at this point. I know I have had a blind homeristic hate of Wade throughout his career, and pointed out every flaw to friends while intentionally ignoring him being great which I tend to do with some players before coming to accept how great they were once their careers were coming to an end. However I will acknowledge Wade has been tremendous for well over decade, while Curry has only been at this level for what, 2-3 years? Before that he wasn't all that for the first few years of his career. Why do people act like he's been this good for the bulk of his career? And for everyone saying it's guaranteed he will continue this throughout, when has health been a guarantee

Bring The Heat
05-17-2016, 10:34 PM
I love curry in fact he's my favorite player in the NBA. But just stop it..

Wade has well over a decade of elite play and being a superstar franchise player.. What really puts this argument to bed is the fact that wade himself before Lebron in 06 carried the Miami Heat to a championship against a great Mavs team with what most agree is the greatest finals performance of all time..

Chi-guy13
05-17-2016, 10:43 PM
Wades longevity beats Curry for now, and Wade winning a ring in 06 also what puts him over Curry for now. Not winning fmvp last year deff hurts Steph.

No doubt that Curry is a better shooter than Wade, but overall career wise, just not yet

KnicksorBust
05-18-2016, 11:34 AM
I think you focus on awards way too much if that is the reasoning, especially ones that are team accomplishments. Just because a player is in a better situation doesn't make them the greater player but I feel like we have had that discussion about your list before.

Yeah because having Klay Thompson and Draymond Green is so much better than Westbrook and Ibaka. Other elite players have had great situations and not been as successful. Why do we try so hard to invalidate the most valuable aspect of participating in professional sports? WINNING.

When it comes to Wade and Curry specifically there just isn't close to enough longevity there yet. Curry has like 3 elite seasons while Wade is probably at around 7. Curry has had 3 more solid seasons while Wade has a few more again so there is no ground gained there.

This is the first season I think you can say easily that peak Curry is better than peak Wade (still has to finish off strong playoffs but I feel like that's assumed here). Wade in 09 lead the league in ppg, had a PER over 30 and BPM over 10 (Curry just now topped that, did not last year). The biggest difference for awards/results between Wade in 09 and last years Curry was simply the team surrounding them (very common when we use team results to judge). So with that being said how is one clearly better year enough to make up for the extra 6ish solid-elite seasons Wade has on him? He just isn't there yet.

Do you expect Curry to be much worse next season? How bout the season after that? How about in 2018? 2019?

You asked how many more minutes Curry needs to play to pass Wade but I tend to think # of seasons is a little more important (of course context matters though). I think he needs at least three more years around this level to be up there with Wade. In the playoffs Wade's average PER from 06-11 is higher than any single playoff run Curry has had so far unless this one improves since it's close. I have a hard time saying that because Curry happened into a better situation allowing for rings/mvps in his peak its enough to eliminate the years of amazing performances for Wade. Wade in the 06 finals was better than Curry last year in his finals win as well for big performances (where Curry wasn't even the best player on the court). Alright I am kinda rambling now but I wanted to make a point about the level of play in playoffs for each individual too since this regular season seems to have people overrating Curry now. Amazing player who is peaking at an unreal level but lets try and be rational about ranking him, he still has a ways to go before we can have him leap frogging greats like Wade.

He created his great situation. Do you give him any credit for Klay and Draymond? Do you really think Draymond Green would have developed this way and be considered a possible top 10 player in the NBA if he had been on the Sixers?

This question is kind of ludicrous at this point. I know I have had a blind homeristic hate of Wade throughout his career, and pointed out every flaw to friends while intentionally ignoring him being great which I tend to do with some players before coming to accept how great they were once their careers were coming to an end. However I will acknowledge Wade has been tremendous for well over decade, while Curry has only been at this level for what, 2-3 years? Before that he wasn't all that for the first few years of his career. Why do people act like he's been this good for the bulk of his career? And for everyone saying it's guaranteed he will continue this throughout, when has health been a guarantee

So your argument for why Wade is better is that Curry will get hurt? That is the ludicrous argument.

I love curry in fact he's my favorite player in the NBA. But just stop it..

Wade has well over a decade of elite play and being a superstar franchise player.. What really puts this argument to bed is the fact that wade himself before Lebron in 06 carried the Miami Heat to a championship against a great Mavs team with what most agree is the greatest finals performance of all time..

0 league MVPs. Never a possible top 10 GOAT contender. Curry is...

mngopher35
05-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Yeah because having Klay Thompson and Draymond Green is so much better than Westbrook and Ibaka. Other elite players have had great situations and not been as successful. Why do we try so hard to invalidate the most valuable aspect of participating in professional sports? WINNING.

I think the Warriors are better but this is off topic now, I didn't compare their teams. I compared 09 Heat to the Warriors since accolades were big for you between these guys. Out of curiosity if you are playing for awards would you rather have Klay/Green/Iggy/Barnes/Bogut and depth or James Jones, Chalmers, Haslem, Beasley? I hope you realize how ridiculous the advantage is for one side. Even add in who you would rather match up against in MVP voting, 2009 Lebron carrying his team to 66 wins or James Harden leading the rockets to 56 wins? Again simple and context is clearly in favor of one side despite not even comparing their individual talents at all those seasons.

This is why I have pointed out before that your list tends to look more like a "of the greats who ended up in the best position due to circumstances" instead of comparing individual talents to each other. To me it is far more important how good you are than where you land and who you play with to rack up accolades.

In Durants case he has a couple of extra flaws that I think will limit him from elite elite category when ranking compared to even Curry down the road but I will say the year OKC made the finals they had a tougher road than GS last year. Beating Kobe/Lakers in his final playoffs, then the Spurs before their back to back run, and finally the Heat in finals is much tougher than the beaten down road the Warriors had last year. If context is different and they play the opposite road we could easily be looking at the ring with Durant and less of a chance Curry gets one. Didn't have to claim a single individual was better or worse either, because when talking accolades context is probably the biggest factor.

It isn't that I want to ignore/invalidate winning, it is that there are so many factors outside of one individual that go into awards and if that is your biggest way to judge then you end up judging based off of context more than an individuals own ability.

Do you expect Curry to be much worse next season? How bout the season after that? How about in 2018? 2019?

I think he should continue playing at a similar rate the next few years and his team appears to look good over that time as well. In 2019 if he has played as well as we hope/expect then I think this will be a legitimate discussion, but it won't be after this season. People thought Durant was on the fast track to taking over the league just a few years ago btw. Until we actually see it happen we can't just assume it will go a certain way for 3-4 years and move him up, he has to earn it.

He created his great situation. Do you give him any credit for Klay and Draymond? Do you really think Draymond Green would have developed this way and be considered a possible top 10 player in the NBA if he had been on the Sixers?

In what sense? I do think that his ability to take attention offensively helps Klay/Green for sure. If you are asking do I give credit to Curry for the players they are today based off their skill sets etc then no. I rarely try and extend credit like that though so it would be tough argument with me in particular. Like I don't think on that 09 team Wade had a chance to turn Chalmer/Beasley into elite players helping him get to a title but just wasn't as good at it as Curry.

Actually this goes back to the Durant comment I made earlier and I think that the attention/creating abilities of Curry is a separator between them in Currys favor. I think Westbrook tends to get his teammates better looks due to drawing attention for the Thunder, not Durant. In that sense I do agree he helps them.

So your argument for why Wade is better is that Curry will get hurt? That is the ludicrous argument.

0 league MVPs. Never a possible top 10 GOAT contender. Curry is...

It isn't only that Curry might get hurt, it's that he hasn't gotten there yet and anything could happen. You don't just hand out credit to a player because you think something will happen over the next 4 years. You judge them based off what they have done. If this asked if Curry wins the chip will he have a greater career in 5 years than Wade it would be a debate and I can definitely see taking Curry. Today it is not because he really lacks longevity.

Can I argue Towns as a possible top 10 GOAT? He had an amazing rookie season and has plenty of time to get there still. What about Khawi? Runner up MVP and a FMVP already at this age. Durant could maybe be up there too if they win it all this year right? The thing that all of these players have in common is despite being young enough to have a chance to work their way up the list to Wade and even higher still, they aren't there yet and for all we know may never be. Is Curry the most likely to get there of my random group, yes. He's not there yet though.

Slug3
05-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Geez I feel like a lot of people didn't appreciate Wade in his prime, and probably didn't because it kind of happened right in with Lebron and Kobe's as well.

TheBlackHole
05-18-2016, 03:13 PM
So your argument for why Wade is better is that Curry will get hurt? That is the ludicrous argument

That wasn't my argument, as I said in my post Curry has only been great for a few years, his first 4 years he wasn't exactly lighting up the league. So how would that compare to Wade who has over a decade of being a great player? My mistake if I wasn't clear on that. The health thing I threw in at the end. It's not a ludicrous statement to make, I wasn't aware the human body is indestructible. There's plenty of players that can attest to that fact.

Chronz
05-18-2016, 03:47 PM
I will say, Wade's career edge in longevity is abit overstated if you're the type who values playoff availability.

So hes been around for a decade but in how many of those seasons was he actually in 1 piece come playoffs?
There was that run to the ECF when they first got Shaq, both of them got hurt and his injury cost them a Finals birth. Still a great run but disappointing none the less, 2 years later he hurts his shoulder against the Rockets (iirc) and basically avoids going under the knife in order to salvage their title defense, he wasn't the same and had a horrible series vs the Bulls. To add further insult to his injury, he ****s up his knee in that same series. He undergoes surgery for both in the offseason and has that meager season in the way that an All-Star season is disappointing.

And he gamely played through injuries in their reign of 4 straight Finals but he was lessened in key moments, he got hurt in Y1 and in the series vs Dallas, had his knee drained vs Indy and was a shell of his former self vs the Spurs.

So how many wasted moments is that?

In reality, I count 9 complete prime seasons and thats being generous. Still have him above Curry because at their peak its definitely debatable, I'd personally side with the 2-way guy in Wade. The fact that hes won more, is arguably as good at his best AND holds the edge in longevity makes this a no brainer.

Slug3
05-18-2016, 04:05 PM
I will say, Wade's career edge in longevity is abit overstated if you're the type who values playoff availability.

So hes been around for a decade but in how many of those seasons was he actually in 1 piece come playoffs?
There was that run to the ECF when they first got Shaq, both of them got hurt and his injury cost them a Finals birth. Still a great run but disappointing none the less, 2 years later he hurts his shoulder against the Rockets (iirc) and basically avoids going under the knife in order to salvage their title defense, he wasn't the same and had a horrible series vs the Bulls. To add further insult to his injury, he ****s up his knee in that same series. He undergoes surgery for both in the offseason and has that meager season in the way that an All-Star season is disappointing.

And he gamely played through injuries in their reign of 4 straight Finals but he was lessened in key moments, he got hurt in Y1 and in the series vs Dallas, had his knee drained vs Indy and was a shell of his former self vs the Spurs.

So how many wasted moments is that?

In reality, I count 9 complete prime seasons and thats being generous. Still have him above Curry because at their peak its definitely debatable, I'd personally side with the 2-way guy in Wade. The fact that hes won more, is arguably as good at his best AND holds the edge in longevity makes this a no brainer.

A few of Wades great seasons came when he had zero people around him and had great playoff numbers, but really it was a short playoffs with first round exists so it doesnt help too much.

His first 2 years with the Big 3 he was pretty great. Some can argue if Lebron didn't disappear that first finals that Miami maybe could have won, and if they would have won he would have easily been the MVP that series. But I don't like using "what ifs". But his first 2 years he looked good. Last 2 is when he really looked like he was hurt, but still put up decent numbers, but nothing great.

The first championship against the spurs he also had a few great games in the series as well. Also 2013/14 series against Indy he was pretty big that series as well.

He has had average, good and even great playoff performances, but the honest part is some of his best was super short and could have been better if he went farther in the playoffs.

AntiG
05-19-2016, 12:02 AM
he doesn't really need another championship to have had a better career than Wade... he's now the defending 2-time NBA MVP, defending champ, led his team to the best record of all-time, and just broke his own all-time 3 points made record by 116.

t_money25
05-19-2016, 07:55 AM
So many prisoners of the moment. Basketball has been played for a very long time. 2 great seasons is nowhere near a large enough sample size to compare Curry to just about any all time great. Forget Wade, Curry still has a laundry list of greats to pass before here reaches him. Another 4-5 all star caliber seasons then we can have this conversation.

ewing
05-19-2016, 09:45 AM
No way dude. Frist off, let me remind you of Medicine Man, an injustice to us all. Hopkins was amazing in the Hannibal series, Fracture he was good, and what about Odin? Huh?

Come on guy lets get back on topic. I prefer Hopkins as well. I think Connery does give you a little versatility in that he can play lighter roles but i think his legend largely comes from being 007. If i wanted someone to play an epic role and serious character I pick Hopkins.

Scoots
05-19-2016, 10:20 AM
All this Curry all-time stuff is too soon ... except for shooting, he's the best shooter.

KnicksorBust
05-19-2016, 11:39 AM
I think the Warriors are better but this is off topic now, I didn't compare their teams. I compared 09 Heat to the Warriors since accolades were big for you between these guys. Out of curiosity if you are playing for awards would you rather have Klay/Green/Iggy/Barnes/Bogut and depth or James Jones, Chalmers, Haslem, Beasley? I hope you realize how ridiculous the advantage is for one side. Even add in who you would rather match up against in MVP voting, 2009 Lebron carrying his team to 66 wins or James Harden leading the rockets to 56 wins? Again simple and context is clearly in favor of one side despite not even comparing their individual talents at all those seasons.

The irony of your statement is you are blaming competition for Wade's lack of league MVPs when Curry was going against LeBron James also and 69 win Kawhi Leonard. The problem with even using that comparison is that it wouldn't have mattered either way because Curry had the greatest regular season ever. No one is taking that MVP award away from him except possibly 96 MJ. Wade never reached those heights.

This is why I have pointed out before that your list tends to look more like a "of the greats who ended up in the best position due to circumstances" instead of comparing individual talents to each other. To me it is far more important how good you are than where you land and who you play with to rack up accolades.

You say this as if Wade didn't have his own advantages. He played multiple seasons with Shaq and multiple seasons with LeBron. I think he should have more rings. He had some terrible playoff series in there costing his team their seasons. I give him full credit for 06 but that one series playing with Shaq is not nearly as impressive as what Curry has done over the last 18 months.

In Durants case he has a couple of extra flaws that I think will limit him from elite elite category when ranking compared to even Curry down the road but I will say the year OKC made the finals they had a tougher road than GS last year. Beating Kobe/Lakers in his final playoffs, then the Spurs before their back to back run, and finally the Heat in finals is much tougher than the beaten down road the Warriors had last year. If context is different and they play the opposite road we could easily be looking at the ring with Durant and less of a chance Curry gets one. Didn't have to claim a single individual was better or worse either, because when talking accolades context is probably the biggest factor.

But who cares who they beat in the conference semi-finals if they didn't finish the job? I guarantee Durant isn't bragging to anybody about that. That doesn't define his or any players career.

It isn't that I want to ignore/invalidate winning, it is that there are so many factors outside of one individual that go into awards and if that is your biggest way to judge then you end up judging based off of context more than an individuals own ability.

Do you believe at their absolute best Wade has superior ability?

I think he should continue playing at a similar rate the next few years and his team appears to look good over that time as well. In 2019 if he has played as well as we hope/expect then I think this will be a legitimate discussion, but it won't be after this season. People thought Durant was on the fast track to taking over the league just a few years ago btw. Until we actually see it happen we can't just assume it will go a certain way for 3-4 years and move him up, he has to earn it.

I don't want to dwell on Durant but he is the perfect example of what makes Curry so special. Here is a player who is surrounded by talent and still hasn't gotten it done. Getting the championship banner is far harder than many people make it sound. Curry won 2 rings. "Well he had Draymond Green and Klay Thompson!" Who cares? Every team has talent. I think the fact that he is the leader of a 73 win team and that those 2 young players suddenly are spoken about as if they are LeBron/Bosh is pretty amazing. They wouldn't be talked about that if they were a team's #1 and #2 options. Curry makes them the greatest #2 and #3 players in the league. Not the other way around.

In what sense? I do think that his ability to take attention offensively helps Klay/Green for sure. If you are asking do I give credit to Curry for the players they are today based off their skill sets etc then no. I rarely try and extend credit like that though so it would be tough argument with me in particular. Like I don't think on that 09 team Wade had a chance to turn Chalmer/Beasley into elite players helping him get to a title but just wasn't as good at it as Curry.

Actually this goes back to the Durant comment I made earlier and I think that the attention/creating abilities of Curry is a separator between them in Currys favor. I think Westbrook tends to get his teammates better looks due to drawing attention for the Thunder, not Durant. In that sense I do agree he helps them.

Agreed.

It isn't only that Curry might get hurt, it's that he hasn't gotten there yet and anything could happen. You don't just hand out credit to a player because you think something will happen over the next 4 years. You judge them based off what they have done. If this asked if Curry wins the chip will he have a greater career in 5 years than Wade it would be a debate and I can definitely see taking Curry. Today it is not because he really lacks longevity.

That's exactly what it is. Curry right now is better than Wade ever was and even if we assume a decline (which is improbable for at least 2 seasons considering he is at his peak right now) it is just a matter of logging minutes/seasons.

Can I argue Towns as a possible top 10 GOAT? He had an amazing rookie season and has plenty of time to get there still. What about Khawi? Runner up MVP and a FMVP already at this age. Durant could maybe be up there too if they win it all this year right? The thing that all of these players have in common is despite being young enough to have a chance to work their way up the list to Wade and even higher still, they aren't there yet and for all we know may never be. Is Curry the most likely to get there of my random group, yes. He's not there yet though.

But you are making my point for me by including them. None of those players has accomplished what Curry has. You can't argue Towns has a possible top 10 GOAT because he hasn't even made an all-nba 1st team. He hasn't won a playoff series. He doesn't have an MVP. He doesn't have a ring. You have to do obscene projections of improvements to get him there. Curry is a completely different situation.

All this Curry all-time stuff is too soon ... except for shooting, he's the best shooter.

Assuming the OP is true and he wins a 2nd ring then he will have accomplished more by the age of 28 than most hall of famers...

MygirlhatesCod
05-19-2016, 12:09 PM
what would you rather have prime curry or prime wade? to me longevity only matters if you win throughout it. wade is without a doubt a special player. his ability to lead a team to a championship has been established. curry right now has the opportunity to be in the same category of longevity as MJ did in the 90's by winning consecutive chips while personally dominating the league. that is something I don't think wade had the ability to do for multiple reasons like health and the team assembled around him (pre super team). if curry validates my thoughts with another chip then he would be well on his way to separating himself from special players like wade and elevate himself to the ranks reserved for GOAT's.

ewing
05-19-2016, 12:12 PM

this

t_money25
05-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Assuming the OP is true and he wins a 2nd ring then he will have accomplished more by the age of 28 than most hall of famers...

Maybe team accolades but definitely not individually. You're being a complete prisoner of the moment. Curry is a very good player but that means nothing historically if he doesn't continue to produce every season. I could even argue Curry isn't top 50 as of today.

t_money25
05-19-2016, 12:26 PM
what would you rather have prime curry or prime wade? to me longevity only matters if you win throughout it. wade is without a doubt a special player. his ability to lead a team to a championship has been established. curry right now has the opportunity to be in the same category of longevity as MJ did in the 90's by winning consecutive chips while personally dominating the league. that is something I don't think wade had the ability to do for multiple reasons like health and the team assembled around him (pre super team). if curry validates my thoughts with another chip then he would be well on his way to separating himself from special players like wade and elevate himself to the ranks reserved for GOAT's.

My thoughts exactly. After the last two seasons Curry has had, if you project that he will have similar seasons going forward for the next few years it's an understandable debate. My only argument is he hasn't done it yet. Lets see him do it first. Until he does it's impossible to even call him a top 30 - 50 player all time at this moment.

mngopher35
05-19-2016, 01:42 PM
The irony of your statement is you are blaming competition for Wade's lack of league MVPs when Curry was going against LeBron James also and 69 win Kawhi Leonard. The problem with even using that comparison is that it wouldn't have mattered either way because Curry had the greatest regular season ever. No one is taking that MVP award away from him except possibly 96 MJ. Wade never reached those heights.

You are discussing the wrong year. Last year compared to 09 for Wade is the discussion at hand so like I said we are talking going up against James Harden and LEbron who is taking breaks mid season compared to prime Lebron on a 66 win Cavs team. If you simply take 09 Wade on Miami and switch him with last years Curry I think the odds of MVP and title for each player is basically swapped in huge favor of Wade. This has basically nothing to do with their own ability but more their situation because like I have been stating context is huge for awards. If your basis for judging comes down to criteria that has little to do with the individual, like this, there is something wrong imo.

Like I said I agree you can say Curry this season outperformed peak Wade but this is a one year sample. That doesn't discount all the other years Wade was great compared unless you simply count awards and ignore context like I listed in my last post.

You say this as if Wade didn't have his own advantages. He played multiple seasons with Shaq and multiple seasons with LeBron. I think he should have more rings. He had some terrible playoff series in there costing his team their seasons. I give him full credit for 06 but that one series playing with Shaq is not nearly as impressive as what Curry has done over the last 18 months.

That one series is more impressive than any playoff series I have seen yet from Curry still. I agree Wade did have time with Shaq/Lebron but at his peak level like Curry is reaching now he had some pretty poor teams around him limiting his chances at awards you covet. Just like Kobe only has 1 MVP as he had the same issue of crap team during his peak, but just got lucky in playing next to prime/peak Shaq for 8 years too. Wade did get 3 rings and a FMVP so it isn't like he was wasting away opportunities when they had talent even though it wasn't peak Wade.

These advantages for Wade helped him get to his 3 titles but limited his opportunities at an MVP in a similar fashion to Kobe. Curry is in a near perfect situation for both.

But who cares who they beat in the conference semi-finals if they didn't finish the job? I guarantee Durant isn't bragging to anybody about that. That doesn't define his or any players career.

When you are so award oriented it makes a huge deal because this context gets completely ignored. Again switch 12 Thunder with last years Golden State. I think Durant has a far better chance at a title (and FMVP) going up against a beat up Grizzlies/Cavs team and the Rockets. So once again by simply changing context the chances of getting an award would be changed greatly. Nothing about individuals playing at a higher/lower level, simply context. This will continue to be a common theme when you put so much stock into awards because context is a major factor in those. This is why looking at the level of play from the individual is way more important IMO.

Do you believe at their absolute best Wade has superior ability?

Yes, I think this year he has taken it to a level higher than Wade. Wade has far more years at a great-elite level than Curry though so one season higher isn't that close to tipping the scale. 3-4 years and we have have the discussion though.

I mean you could also argue this season being better than peak Kobe for Curry but that doesn't make him top 10 yet.

I don't want to dwell on Durant but he is the perfect example of what makes Curry so special. Here is a player who is surrounded by talent and still hasn't gotten it done. Getting the championship banner is far harder than many people make it sound. Curry won 2 rings. "Well he had Draymond Green and Klay Thompson!" Who cares? Every team has talent. I think the fact that he is the leader of a 73 win team and that those 2 young players suddenly are spoken about as if they are LeBron/Bosh is pretty amazing. They wouldn't be talked about that if they were a team's #1 and #2 options. Curry makes them the greatest #2 and #3 players in the league. Not the other way around.

Again though if Thunder had the road Warriors did last year they very easily could have a title right now (I won't speculate on GS vs. the Spurs or Heat but clearly lower chances). Getting a championship involves more than just play from an individual which is what you seem to be ignoring here. In the finals Durant put up 30 ppg and 2 apg on 117 ORTG (Lebron/Battier mostly guarding) while Curry put up 26 ppg and 6 apg on 104 ORTG (Delly mostly). The biggest difference between Durant and Curry in their title opportunities so far seems to be how much the rest of their teams outmatched opponents (or in Durants case did not).

So little of this comes down to the play of the actual individual when talking about awards here. It isn't like Durant completely sucked in his run, he just faced much better competition including peak Lebron with talent around him (compared to declining Lebron without said talent). We agree winning a title is very hard to do and it is because there are so many factors outside of just an individuals ability. Teammates, competition, injuries etc etc all come into play but if you simply look at the end results/awards you miss all of that. Curry this year is a different level I don't disagree, but the awards from last year don't start moving him higher than players simply due to context and not their ability imo.

That's exactly what it is. Curry right now is better than Wade ever was and even if we assume a decline (which is improbable for at least 2 seasons considering he is at his peak right now) it is just a matter of logging minutes/seasons.

I agree that Curry does just need to play at this level to keep moving up the all time list. I also think that is true of pretty much every great player at their peak but I wait until they do it to actually move them.

But you are making my point for me by including them. None of those players has accomplished what Curry has. You can't argue Towns has a possible top 10 GOAT because he hasn't even made an all-nba 1st team. He hasn't won a playoff series. He doesn't have an MVP. He doesn't have a ring. You have to do obscene projections of improvements to get him there. Curry is a completely different situation.

Yes, I had to do major projections to put those guys in the conversation. You are doing projections to put Curry over Wade. I just took it to a more ridiculous level to show why that shouldn't be done. Whether or not a player has an award (Curry has no FMVP btw) does not play into if you can project for them or not. I agree there is far less to project with Curry but it is still a projection to put him up there which shouldn't be done. Just let him earn it.

Basically I am saying that just because reaching the top 10 all time is still a possibility for a player it doesn't rank them over someone who's career is almost done but is in the 20 range. Projections shouldn't be a part in this.

KnicksorBust
05-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Maybe team accolades but definitely not individually. You're being a complete prisoner of the moment. Curry is a very good player but that means nothing historically if he doesn't continue to produce every season. I could even argue Curry isn't top 50 as of today.

I've seen Wade and Curry's entire careers. Assuming Curry wins his 2nd title this season, I'm more impressed by Curry's. You could argue it but you would be putting him behind far inferior players and you would look foolish when Curry reaches your arbitrary longevity requirement.

nastynice
05-19-2016, 02:30 PM

It's crazy how far beyond anyone else he is regarding shooting. At 28, and having injury issues for a few years earlier, he could still retire tomorrow and go down as the best shooter of all time. lol, that's insane

KnicksorBust
05-19-2016, 02:53 PM
You are discussing the wrong year. Last year compared to 09 for Wade is the discussion at hand so like I said we are talking going up against James Harden and LEbron who is taking breaks mid season compared to prime Lebron on a 66 win Cavs team. If you simply take 09 Wade on Miami and switch him with last years Curry I think the odds of MVP and title for each player is basically swapped in huge favor of Wade. This has basically nothing to do with their own ability but more their situation because like I have been stating context is huge for awards. If your basis for judging comes down to criteria that has little to do with the individual, like this, there is something wrong imo.

Like I said I agree you can say Curry this season outperformed peak Wade but this is a one year sample. That doesn't discount all the other years Wade was great compared unless you simply count awards and ignore context like I listed in my last post.

Can we stop acting like Curry is a 1 year wonder? It's a 2 year sample AT LEAST. Back to back MVPs. Curry's last two seasons (14-15/15-16) are better than any 2 year stretch in Wade's career. In reality if we use win shares Curry's last 3 seasons were 47 win shares and Wade's best 3 year stretch (08-09, 09-10, 10-11) was only 40.5. Wade only have 5 seasons with over 10 win shares. Curry already has 4. Let's stop acting like Wade is some longevity warrior like Kobe. He's been great when healthy but the guy doesn't play full seasons very often There are a lot of lost seasons in Wade's career.

That one series is more impressive than any playoff series I have seen yet from Curry still. I agree Wade did have time with Shaq/Lebron but at his peak level like Curry is reaching now he had some pretty poor teams around him limiting his chances at awards you covet. Just like Kobe only has 1 MVP as he had the same issue of crap team during his peak, but just got lucky in playing next to prime/peak Shaq for 8 years too. Wade did get 3 rings and a FMVP so it isn't like he was wasting away opportunities when they had talent even though it wasn't peak Wade.

These advantages for Wade helped him get to his 3 titles but limited his opportunities at an MVP in a similar fashion to Kobe. Curry is in a near perfect situation for both.

The idea that playing with good players limits opportunities for MVPs is pretty much at odds with the history of the league. Most MVPs are given to players on elite teams.

When you are so award oriented it makes a huge deal because this context gets completely ignored. Again switch 12 Thunder with last years Golden State. I think Durant has a far better chance at a title (and FMVP) going up against a beat up Grizzlies/Cavs team and the Rockets. So once again by simply changing context the chances of getting an award would be changed greatly. Nothing about individuals playing at a higher/lower level, simply context. This will continue to be a common theme when you put so much stock into awards because context is a major factor in those. This is why looking at the level of play from the individual is way more important IMO.

I'm all for adding context when appropriate but at times it's too subjective for me. Listen to your statement... "I think Durant has a far better chance at a title..." so what? Stop protecting him. It seems like every year this guy has an excuse for why he couldn't win. Same with Chris Paul. Some years those "excuses" are valid but it's not a coincidence that the best players in NBA History all have the most hardware. Some players find a way to get it done in spite of the odds. That's why saying "well this playoff team was worse than a playoff team from 5 years ago so it makes his championship less impressive..." that's a weak argument to me. You play who gets put in front of you. That's all he can do. And he's been beating this teams put in front of him repeatedly at an incredible ratio.

Yes, I think this year he has taken it to a level higher than Wade. Wade has far more years at a great-elite level than Curry though so one season higher isn't that close to tipping the scale. 3-4 years and we have have the discussion though.

I mean you could also argue this season being better than peak Kobe for Curry but that doesn't make him top 10 yet.

"far more..." You sure? Curious how you feel about my win shares argument. Assume I wrote that part here. :)

Again though if Thunder had the road Warriors did last year they very easily could have a title right now (I won't speculate on GS vs. the Spurs or Heat but clearly lower chances). Getting a championship involves more than just play from an individual which is what you seem to be ignoring here. In the finals Durant put up 30 ppg and 2 apg on 117 ORTG (Lebron/Battier mostly guarding) while Curry put up 26 ppg and 6 apg on 104 ORTG (Delly mostly). The biggest difference between Durant and Curry in their title opportunities so far seems to be how much the rest of their teams outmatched opponents (or in Durants case did not).

So little of this comes down to the play of the actual individual when talking about awards here. It isn't like Durant completely sucked in his run, he just faced much better competition including peak Lebron with talent around him (compared to declining Lebron without said talent). We agree winning a title is very hard to do and it is because there are so many factors outside of just an individuals ability. Teammates, competition, injuries etc etc all come into play but if you simply look at the end results/awards you miss all of that. Curry this year is a different level I don't disagree, but the awards from last year don't start moving him higher than players simply due to context and not their ability imo. I agree that Curry does just need to play at this level to keep moving up the all time list. I also think that is true of pretty much every great player at their peak but I wait until they do it to actually move them.

You are the king of context but quoting ORTG for a 6 game series is unfair because his horrific performance in Game 2 drastically skews those statistics. If you look at the 4 games they won his ORTG shoots up about 10 points and was higher than LeBron in those games.

Yes, I had to do major projections to put those guys in the conversation. You are doing projections to put Curry over Wade. I just took it to a more ridiculous level to show why that shouldn't be done. Whether or not a player has an award (Curry has no FMVP btw) does not play into if you can project for them or not. I agree there is far less to project with Curry but it is still a projection to put him up there which shouldn't be done. Just let him earn it.

Basically I am saying that just because reaching the top 10 all time is still a possibility for a player it doesn't rank them over someone who's career is almost done but is in the 20 range. Projections shouldn't be a part in this.

But by using an absurd example of projections (KAT as top 10 GOAT) how does that prove projecting Curry to play the same... or even slightly worse... is wrong? Curry isn't Kobe because to get to Kobe level... he has to do more. Then you have to project more championships and/or MVPs. THAT would be an over-projection. Debating Curry can't pass Wade because he has to play 3 more seasons as an all-nba player is nit-picking greatness when we should be celebrating it.

mngopher35
05-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Can we stop acting like Curry is a 1 year wonder? It's a 2 year sample AT LEAST. Back to back MVPs. Curry's last two seasons (14-15/15-16) are better than any 2 year stretch in Wade's career. In reality if we use win shares Curry's last 3 seasons were 47 win shares and Wade's best 3 year stretch (08-09, 09-10, 10-11) was only 40.5. Wade only have 5 seasons with over 10 win shares. Curry already has 4. Let's stop acting like Wade is some longevity warrior like Kobe. He's been great when healthy but the guy doesn't play full seasons very often There are a lot of lost seasons in Wade's career.

You keep changing the topic instead of responding to the point I am making. I never compared this year to Wade 09. I never said Curry is a one year wonder. I am saying that your reasoning of awards pushing Curry over Wade already is flawed. Compare the situations of 09 and last season and tell me which player had a far better chance at winning MVP and/or a ring? It has nothing to do with which player is better or not, it has to do with the context. That's the issue.

In the playoffs Curry has 1 season (this one) with a PER over 25. He has two seasons with a WS/48 over .20. Wade has 4 runs in playoffs with PER over 25 and 3 seasons over .20 (including top in both). On top of having the advantage at the top he also has more years of solid play as well. Comparing their production/impact will give us mixed results as they both have their advantages/disadvantages. Comparing their longevity is not though, it favors Wade. I agree Wade hasn't been perfect in longevity but good years are still valuable and he has as many at the top as Curry as is. He has played about double the minutes of Curry in his career so far (put some reg season #'s below too).

The idea that playing with good players limits opportunities for MVPs is pretty much at odds with the history of the league. Most MVPs are given to players on elite teams.

How many players win MVP's when they are not in their peak years though? It isn't that they had good teams, Curry has that too. Curry is peaking on an all time great team while Wade and Kobe were younger/older when they had their good teams.

I'm all for adding context when appropriate but at times it's too subjective for me. Listen to your statement... "I think Durant has a far better chance at a title..." so what? Stop protecting him. It seems like every year this guy has an excuse for why he couldn't win. Same with Chris Paul. Some years those "excuses" are valid but it's not a coincidence that the best players in NBA History all have the most hardware. Some players find a way to get it done in spite of the odds. That's why saying "well this playoff team was worse than a playoff team from 5 years ago so it makes his championship less impressive..." that's a weak argument to me. You play who gets put in front of you. That's all he can do. And he's been beating this teams put in front of him repeatedly at an incredible ratio.

I am not trying to defend/make excuses or whatever you think, I believe Durant gets a bigger pass than most. I am simply using logic to look at the context and explain the obvious differences. It is something you continue to ignore and not respond to. It might be a weak argument but then stop putting words in my mouth and explain how last year for Curry was so much better than 2012 Durant without using awards or 2009 Wade for that matter. I want context involved in the discussion because it is very obvious that one had an easier road than the other. Yes sometimes greats have to get it done against the odd but thats not this discussion where Warriors had a depleted road while OKC had an obviously tougher one. I am not taking away his ring or anything like that, just adding context when comparing the players because it gets completely ignored by looking at the teams outcome.

"far more..." You sure? Curious how you feel about my win shares argument. Assume I wrote that part here. :)

I responded with some playoff info already but we can look more into it here. Wade has 12 seasons over a 20 PER, Curry has 5. Wade has 8 seasons over .15 WS, Curry has 4. Wade 7 years with a BPM over 4, Curry has 4. Wade has 10 seasons over 20 ppg, Curry has 4. They do have similar # of years with around 6 apg and Curry averages more generally to help his advantage here.

In the end what your numbers help show is that Curry is starting to peak higher than Wade did while close to the number of top years he had. It doesn't take away all the good years Wade had though and longevity definitely matters. Far more might have been an exaggeration but if we put Curry at 4 great-elite years I think we could say Wade has about 8 of them right (he did have injuries in playoffs which is why this is lower than what some may expect)? That is still double or close to it depending how you see things...

You are the king of context but quoting ORTG for a 6 game series is unfair because his horrific performance in Game 2 drastically skews those statistics. If you look at the 4 games they won his ORTG shoots up about 10 points and was higher than LeBron in those games.

My point wasn't that Durant was clearly better than Curry or anything though. I agree there is more context involved but the point was that Durant played at a very high level like Curry whether we want to say better or not. He just wasn't going against an injured opponent with a clearly superior team. That's the biggest difference in each of them getting awards that year, the context behind it. Not their own individual level of play which is an issue when comparing individuals imo.

But by using an absurd example of projections (KAT as top 10 GOAT) how does that prove projecting Curry to play the same... or even slightly worse... is wrong? Curry isn't Kobe because to get to Kobe level... he has to do more. Then you have to project more championships and/or MVPs. THAT would be an over-projection. Debating Curry can't pass Wade because he has to play 3 more seasons as an all-nba player is nit-picking greatness when we should be celebrating it.

No it is waiting for him to actually get there and not just giving him a label he hasn't earned yet. Your initial point was Curry still has a shot at top 10 and Wade does not, but that clearly doesn't matter when judging where they are now as my ridiculous projections help show. He could get there for sure but he has to actually go out there and do it. No credit given for what I project from players, only what they have actually done.

It seems to me the reasoning you are using here goes against the norm when you generally discuss your all time list. I hope we can keep this between us and not let trolls take over but I am going to risk talking Lebron/Kobe because it is so close to this discussion. Kobe would not be in your top 5 if you started to use the criteria for Curry/Wade to compare James/Kobe, in fact that discussion would have been over 3+ years ago in favor of James. Almost all of these points contradict that same discussion (Lebron/Curry peaked higher, better stats (although for Curry/Wade it is only one year of clearly better), more MVP's but less rings (tied in FMVP if Curry wins this year too). It isn't a perfect comparison as by now Lebron is closer to like 85% of Kobe's longevity while Curry is at like 50% of Wade's and there are other issues as well (Lebron has more than just one year peaking higher based on production/stats etc). Really that context favors Lebron anyways though. It just seems weird how the arguments you make here clearly favor Lebron, the outside context how close they are to longevity and years at peak etc all favor Lebron, yet it is Kobe who ends up on your top 5 list while you want to anoint Curry over Wade far earlier in his career (again roughly half the minutes in the league).

Wait until Curry gets those 3 or so seasons more and then he will be at that same area where his dominance takes over longevity. Once Curry hits that 5-10 year range of elite level play he can start to really move up the list the same way Lebron did in his prime but we shouldn't just put him there yet.

nastynice
05-20-2016, 07:50 AM
Just to clear up, Curry started playing all star level 4 yrs ago, I keep seeing 2. Remember, got snubbed for asg and had that Denver series where kept having crazy 3rd quarters, back when everyone loved us, lol

MonroeFAN
05-20-2016, 12:09 PM

Both are ******* and don't even have a flame to some of the better lyracists.

As for the OP's question, curry already has had a better career because he is responsible for his success, not the whistle or Shaq / Lebron.

WaDe03
05-20-2016, 12:39 PM

As for the OP's question, curry already has had a better career because he is responsible for his success, not the whistle or Shaq / Lebron.

Hahahah the hate is still real in you I see.

MonroeFAN
05-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Hahahah the hate is still real in you I see.

and the delusion is still real with you. Why do you even bother commenting? Is what I said wrong? We get it, you like Wade. Still waiting for this super team you've been talking about for the last 2 seasons.

Compelling response btw. Lucky I even responded.

Hawkeye15
05-20-2016, 01:03 PM
I've seen Wade and Curry's entire careers. Assuming Curry wins his 2nd title this season, I'm more impressed by Curry's. You could argue it but you would be putting him behind far inferior players and you would look foolish when Curry reaches your arbitrary longevity requirement.

Wade/LeBron/Durant, etc, would probably give their left nut to play with the roster Curry has around him in their primes. You overvalue rings, in the aspect you are leaving out what players that win rings have, versus players that don't win rings don't have.

No single player wins a ring. You need a great roster around you, no matter how good you are.

t_money25
05-20-2016, 01:21 PM

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic cause there is no way this can be a serious statement.

MonroeFAN
05-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Yeah I get it, Miami fans disagree with the notion that Wade hasn't had a difficult road to success.

No I'm not being sarcastic, not even a little. The guy played with 2 of the top 10 GOAT, I can't for the life of me understand how this is a difficult concept to understand. He's struggled to even make the playoffs without them, in a weak conference.

I don't want to argue it again either, after years and years of going back and forth with all of you. Everything you suggested that would happen with your team leading up to this point has been false, be done. You're not even close to being reputable sources for information, or debate partners.

AllBall
05-20-2016, 01:41 PM
3 NBA champion (2006, 2012, 2013)
NBA Finals MVP (2006)
1x Olympic Gold Medal (2008)
12 NBA All-Star (20052016)
NBA All-Star Game MVP (2010)
2 All-NBA First Team (2009, 2010)
3 All-NBA Second Team (2005, 2006, 2011)
3 All-NBA Third Team (2007, 20122013)
3 All-Defensive Second Team (2005, 20092010)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2004)
NBA scoring champion (2009)
2 NBA Skills Challenge champion (2006, 2007)
Miami Heat all-time leading scorer
Consensus first-team All-American (2003)
Third-team All-American SN (2002)
Conference USA Player of the Year (2003)
No. 3 retired by Marquette

Nope.

t_money25
05-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Yeah I get it, Miami fans disagree with the notion that Wade hasn't had a difficult road to success.

No I'm not being sarcastic, not even a little. The guy played with 2 of the top 10 GOAT, I can't for the life of me understand how this is a difficult concept to understand. He's struggled to even make the playoffs without them, in a weak conference.

I don't want to argue it again either, after years and years of going back and forth with all of you. Everything you suggested that would happen with your team leading up to this point has been false, be done. You're not even close to being reputable sources for information, or debate partners.

Yea I see why you wouldn't want to continue arguing your baseless points

WaDe03
05-20-2016, 02:06 PM
NBA Finals MVP (2006)

Nope.

MonroeFans blood is boiling after reading this.

Scoots
05-20-2016, 02:13 PM

MonroeFAN will probably think A lot of those come with being on great teams. Just think Luke Walton may well have 4 rings in a few weeks.

WaDe03
05-20-2016, 02:17 PM
and the delusion is still real with you. Why do you even bother commenting? Is what I said wrong? We get it, you like Wade. Still waiting for this super team you've been talking about for the last 2 seasons.

Compelling response btw. Lucky I even responded.

You have to have good teammates to win. Shaq was garbage in the 06 finals. He averaged in the 06 finals the same numbers as he did with the Cavs.

We understand you're a Pistons fan and are pissed for 2 reasons when it comes to Wade. First you guys didn't draft him which must eat you up inside and 2nd he basically ended the Pistons team you guys had and had he not messed up his ribs in the 05 ECF it would've been even worse.

Curry is playing on a stacked *** team. He's the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league, a top 2 SG, probably best PF or top 3 for sure, the perfect center for what they do, Barnes who always hits big shots, Iggy coming off the ****ing bench, Livingston, Ezeli, Bell, etc. like Hawkeye said other greats would give their left nut to play with a team like that. They literally have 15 guys who can step in and contribute unless I'm forgetting something. Speights would average 125PPG himself if he played the whole game the dude comes in and is a straight bucket waiting to happen.

If you guys don't think Wade, LeBron, Durant, Kobe would be doing the same thing with a team this stacked idk what to tell you.

What super team are you talking about?

I'm very lucky you responded, thank you!

Also a lot of my preseason predictions about the Heat were correct other than Wade finishing top 5 in MVP voting but I should've known better because he's not going to kill himself over the course of a season at this age. ECF I came up short due to injuries and Joe/Deng forgetting how to hit open shots.

I also believe you were on of the guys who told me Wade was done so you should go to the eat crow thread that was started and eat that real fast.

WaDe03
05-20-2016, 02:20 PM
MonroeFAN will probably think A lot of those come with being on great teams. Just think Luke Walton may well have 4 rings in a few weeks.

He will think it came by the refs and Shaq/LeBron because Wade did nothing to contribute. Wade was the best player on one team with the greatest finals performance ever and 2nd best on 2 other championship teams. Would've been the best and won finals MVP in 2011 but LeBron didn't show up, he made up for it though. People don't want to give Wade credit for any of his rings. It's either refs/Shaq/LeBron.

Scoots
05-20-2016, 02:46 PM
He will think it came by the refs and Shaq/LeBron because Wade did nothing to contribute. Wade was the best player on one team with the greatest finals performance ever and 2nd best on 2 other championship teams. Would've been the best and won finals MVP in 2011 but LeBron didn't show up, he made up for it though. People don't want to give Wade credit for any of his rings. It's either refs/Shaq/LeBron.

I don't really understand the Wade hate. It's not like he's a baby raper, or even that his game is ugly :) He just doesn't get credit.

WaDe03
05-20-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't really understand the Wade hate. It's not like he's a baby raper, or even that his game is ugly :) He just doesn't get credit.

It's crazy. I've always thought Wade was one of the most underrated/under appreciated players of all time, some of these comments confirm it.

KnicksorBust
05-20-2016, 03:07 PM
NBA Finals MVP (2006)

Nope.

It is going to be tough for Curry to overcome Wade's legacy advantage as ... not a 1x but ... a 2x NBA Skills Challenge Champion and No. 3 retired by Marquette. That mountain might be too tall for him to climb.

Tony_Starks
05-20-2016, 03:18 PM

Good to see your saltiness and outrageous preposterous biased opinions aren't just confined to basketball.

OceanSpray
05-20-2016, 03:22 PM
It's crazy. I've always thought Wade was one of the most underrated/under appreciated players of all time, some of these comments confirm it.

When you start saying Tyler Johnson is a top five SG, you're just begging people to hate Heat fans.

WaDe03
05-20-2016, 04:01 PM
When you start saying Tyler Johnson is a top five SG, you're just begging people to hate Heat fans.

Please crawl back in your hole. Some people on here can't take a joke. It's hilarious you took that seriously.

OceanSpray
05-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Please crawl back in your hole. Some people on here can't take a joke. It's hilarious you took that seriously.

You must be pretty dull if you think that's a joke. No one perceives it as one because it's not even at the slightest, funny. But go ahead. Let's just type garbage up and then say "it's a joke."

Chronz
05-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Here's something to ponder. Who was better in their finals. Curry last year or Wade in 2011

WaDe03
05-20-2016, 04:35 PM
You must be pretty dull if you think that's a joke. No one perceives it as one because it's not even at the slightest, funny. But go ahead. Let's just type garbage up and then say "it's a joke."

I'd be pretty confident I'd have a better sense of humor than someone like you. You seem bitter as hell if every post. Please as I said crawl back in your hole.

mngopher35
05-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Here's something to ponder. Who was better in their finals. Curry last year or Wade in 2011

Hmm that's an interesting one. Without looking up numbers from each series I think that Wade comes out on top due to efficiency. However the context behind each makes it much more of a toss up even if that's true and numbers favor him (checked bbr before posting and it was similar volume better efficiency for Wade 123 ortg to 104).

Dallas was actually using some zones/walls to keep Lebron from attacking if I remember right which opened things up for Wade getting some easy baskets. Wade was not the primary option that the defense was trying to defend. On the other hand Cleveland was trapping and doubling Curry leaving openings for his teammates. Curry was carrying that pressure and still producing at a high level (better than Lebron managed his extra attention for example). I think there is a pretty good argument for Wade performing better as that secondary option than Curry did as a first option but have a hard time flat out saying his performance was better. Tough one.

WaDe03
05-20-2016, 04:36 PM

Wade, someone like Delly would never give a player of Wades caliber problems. If he were to guard Wade they would go to Wade every time down the floor and let him go to work.

MonroeFAN
05-22-2016, 05:48 AM
@ Tony Starks - It's so funny when all of the "elite" members on here join together and combine forces. Yeah, nas is a straight up b who is rapping stories someone else experienced, and what is this kunta Kenta nonsense? Is Kendrick rapping or having a seizure? In all fairness, I'm surprised you have the nerve to even comment here anymore Starks after all of the brilliant analysis you've had over the years. How did the whole Kobe Bryant efficiency thing work for you? Have you ever been right about anything? Why do you think that is gonna happen now?

As for Wade, not a single thing here has been said to disprove my point. He's an all star type of player, with elite post defense for a guard. That's a novelty in more ways than one. What else is he elite at?

Wade, nice mini tantrum.

MonroeFAN
05-22-2016, 05:50 AM

After all of my comments here, why would you think I give a crap about a bunch of pointless accolades that he won while playing with other superstars?

What has he done when it was his team? I can stop "hating" on Wade the second you stop comparing his skill (past skill) of being young and having athleticism, to someone who just had the best shooting season of all time.

Basketball is shooting and post moves. Just because the league went down the crapper for a little bit, and the refs started calling the games in favor of slashers, doesn't mean Wade is better or comparable to a player who can shoot the ball like that. I'm sorry, it just doesn't.

ombada
05-22-2016, 06:13 AM
EDIT: decided it wasnt worth it to post.

Curry needs time to prove himself. As someone said before me, longevity matters in a greater than argument.

Also he has a great team around him. I would like to see what he would do with less.

MonroeFAN
05-22-2016, 06:27 AM
^ Thanks for the laugh, this shouldn't be so serious.

WaDe03
05-22-2016, 10:31 AM
After all of my comments here, why would you think I give a crap about a bunch of pointless accolades that he won while playing with other superstars?

What has he done when it was his team? I can stop "hating" on Wade the second you stop comparing his skill (past skill) of being young and having athleticism, to someone who just had the best shooting season of all time.

Basketball is shooting and post moves. Just because the league went down the crapper for a little bit, and the refs started calling the games in favor of slashers, doesn't mean Wade is better or comparable to a player who can shoot the ball like that. I'm sorry, it just doesn't.

Wade is a hell of a post player and mid range shooter and said he will work on his 3 this summer. He won a ring when it was his team idk why you seem to forget that. He led us in the 2011 finals LeBron choked away. He was big in the 2012 and 2013 finals. You're acting like he's an average player and it's coming strictly out of hate because he basically ended your alls team back in the day.

Who's better Wade or Isiah?

chjug
05-22-2016, 12:18 PM
http://financeseeyou.com/red/images/7.gif
http://financeseeyou.com/red/images/8.gifhttp://financeseeyou.com/red/images/54.gif

HandsOnTheWheel
05-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Nvm.

MygirlhatesCod
05-22-2016, 01:19 PM
You have to have good teammates to win. Shaq was garbage in the 06 finals. He averaged in the 06 finals the same numbers as he did with the Cavs.

We understand you're a Pistons fan and are pissed for 2 reasons when it comes to Wade. First you guys didn't draft him which must eat you up inside and 2nd he basically ended the Pistons team you guys had and had he not messed up his ribs in the 05 ECF it would've been even worse.

Curry is playing on a stacked *** team. He's the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league, a top 2 SG, probably best PF or top 3 for sure, the perfect center for what they do, Barnes who always hits big shots, Iggy coming off the ****ing bench, Livingston, Ezeli, Bell, etc. like Hawkeye said other greats would give their left nut to play with a team like that. They literally have 15 guys who can step in and contribute unless I'm forgetting something. Speights would average 125PPG himself if he played the whole game the dude comes in and is a straight bucket waiting to happen.

If you guys don't think Wade, LeBron, Durant, Kobe would be doing the same thing with a team this stacked idk what to tell you.

What super team are you talking about?

I'm very lucky you responded, thank you!

Also a lot of my preseason predictions about the Heat were correct other than Wade finishing top 5 in MVP voting but I should've known better because he's not going to kill himself over the course of a season at this age. ECF I came up short due to injuries and Joe/Deng forgetting how to hit open shots.

I also believe you were on of the guys who told me Wade was done so you should go to the eat crow thread that was started and eat that real fast.

hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! do you really think those players like moving the ball? wades 09 finals mvp and his longevity of being slightly above average in a weak conference is not a great argument for him being ahead of curry. i would take these last two curry seasons especially if the dubs win again over wades entire career a million times over. why would anyone think two MVP/chips back to back is comparable to anything wade has done?

MygirlhatesCod
05-22-2016, 01:27 PM
EDIT: decided it wasnt worth it to post.

Curry needs time to prove himself. As someone said before me, longevity matters in a greater than argument.

Also he has a great team around him. I would like to see what he would do with less.

really? so instead of proving himself with consecutive MVP's he has to take the 76'ers to the playoffs to make his case?

Chronz
05-22-2016, 01:39 PM
really? so instead of proving himself with consecutive MVP's he has to take the 76'ers to the playoffs to make his case?
It's about seeing players in multiple situations. Would love to see peak curry unleashed for 4th quarters nightly.

WaDe03
05-22-2016, 03:57 PM
hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! do you really think those players like moving the ball? wades 09 finals mvp and his longevity of being slightly above average in a weak conference is not a great argument for him being ahead of curry. i would take these last two curry seasons especially if the dubs win again over wades entire career a million times over. why would anyone think two MVP/chips back to back is comparable to anything wade has done?

Oh man lol I can't believe people actually believe this ****. "09 Finals MVP" lol!

WaDe03
05-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Nvm.

Don't be scared, say what you have to say. Every post I see from you is an edited post that says "nvm" or something lol.

Scoots
05-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Wade is a hell of a post player and mid range shooter and said he will work on his 3 this summer. He won a ring when it was his team idk why you seem to forget that. He led us in the 2011 finals LeBron choked away. He was big in the 2012 and 2013 finals. You're acting like he's an average player and it's coming strictly out of hate because he basically ended your alls team back in the day.

Who's better Wade or Isiah?

Glad he's jumping right on that. What has he been doing before now?

This thread is pointless. All Curry vs the greatest comparisons are wildly early except in shooting ... even the other guys on that list have conceded the title.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Don't be scared, say what you have to say. Every post I see from you is an edited post that says "nvm" or something lol.

Oh cool you've been looking at my posts. Some things are better off not said. I could have said that anyone can shoot 40%+ from 3 if they just put the time in like you do but I didn't. The 3 is not that far behind the 14 footers that Wade takes? Okay.

WaDe03
05-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Glad he's jumping right on that. What has he been doing before now?

This thread is pointless. All Curry vs the greatest comparisons are wildly early except in shooting ... even the other guys on that list have conceded the title.

Getting to the rim any time he wants or scoring very efficiently from the post and mid range game. He's older so it's time to add a 3, although physically he looks great it will still help.

WaDe03
05-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Oh cool you've been looking at my posts. Some things are better off not said. I could have said that anyone can shoot 40%+ from 3 if they just put the time in like you do but I didn't. The 3 is not that far behind the 14 footers that Wade takes? Okay.

Man that really got to you. I don't go looking for your posts but have seen you do this multiple times. Wade scores from everywhere mid range not just 14 feet. I've seen multiple shots I've said he should've just taken a step or 2 back and hit the 3. It's like people on here have never played or practiced or know what it takes to expand your game. If anything shouldn't have been said its this entire thread in general, this is just dumb as hell.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-22-2016, 11:31 PM
Man that really got to you. I don't go looking for your posts but have seen you do this multiple times. Wade scores from everywhere mid range not just 14 feet. I've seen multiple shots I've said he should've just taken a step or 2 back and hit the 3. It's like people on here have never played or practiced or know what it takes to expand your game. If anything shouldn't have been said its this entire thread in general, this is just dumb as hell.

Lol alright man.