PDA

View Full Version : LeBron not sure if Steph's performance is the most valuable

mrblisterdundee
05-14-2016, 01:27 PM
LeBron James doesn't seem to know whether Stephen Curry's performance this season necessarily means he's the most valuable player. James, his interview with CAVS TV being analyzed on ESPN First Take (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN_W1UGPCRU), rattled off Curry's league-leading scoring and steals statistics, along with his 50, 40, 90 shooting averages from the field, distance and the foul line.

"I mean ... I don't ... can you have really any debate over that, when it comes to that award?" James asked. "But when you talk about most valuable, then you can have a different conversation.
"But take nothing away from it. He's definitely deserving of that award for sure."
Curry responded pretty bluntly, as seen on Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/stephen-curry-lebron-james-mvp-golden-state-warriors-cleveland-cavaliers-response-ignoring-people-051316):

"I've gotten really good at ignoring people," Curry said. "That is the theme of the last two years. So I'm alright."

mrblisterdundee
05-14-2016, 01:35 PM
This is some stealthy ****-talk by LeBron James, but he makes somewhat of a decent point. There's been a debate even on whether Stephen Curry or Draymond Green is more valuable to the Warriors' success.
This is going to add some interesting fodder in the Cavaliers' likely rematch with Warriors in the Finals.

CHANGO
05-14-2016, 01:43 PM
He never disrespected Curry, just the press trying to make something out of nothing. He has a point, it's the same point that some people are discussing in the "If an MVP criteria was set" thread.

giantspwn
05-14-2016, 01:50 PM
:laugh2:

Lebron's passive aggressive comments are so tired.

dhopisthename
05-14-2016, 02:21 PM
what a joke. there is a reason curry was the unanimous MVP and it pretty much starts and end with him being the best player this year.

nastynice
05-14-2016, 02:34 PM
The way lebron said that, it's as tho he knows curry's better, but tryina convince himself that he is. He says it in a completely diff way than when he knew he was the best and make comments like that

effen5
05-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Someone is salty af

lol, please
05-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Not sure if a better moment to drop the cliche "haters gon hate" exists.

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2016, 03:51 PM
LBJ is asked about Curry getting MVP and say how amazing Curry's numbers are, and how deserving he is, but points to the fact that different people have different definitions as to what 'valuable means, and people frame it asLBJ questioning whether Curry should have gotten the award.

I've seen this quote framed the same way in 20 different publications. What is should read is: LBJ says Curry's numbers are amazing and he is deserving of the award.

Kush McDaniels
05-14-2016, 03:52 PM
...well LeBron is still more valuable and a more complete player than Curry

jason
05-14-2016, 04:10 PM
I think it's funny how people try to say how one great player is more valuable than another

Tony_Starks
05-14-2016, 04:20 PM
I can't believe people are still simple minded enough to fall for these high school, "did you hear what he said about you" antics.

Lebron was very complimentary of Steph and at the end made the very fair point that most valuable can be a different conversation.

That's a question that is always debated, most valuable to their team? Most valuable of the league? That's part of why it's taken so long to have a unanimous vote, becauae people see valuable differently.

I didn't see any shots, they are reaching.

MygirlhatesCod
05-14-2016, 04:56 PM
the reality is curry is not the typical ball dominate/volume shooter that usually is associated with the award. when a team first historically efficient shooter (not the whole, player x gets a chunk of points from FT's efficient) that is undersized gets MVP the NBA unwritten standard committee gets all bent because its not supposed to happen. the side kick isn't supposed to be the best and that's how the appearance looks. it can be summed up as being at a gym and seeing a smaller guy benching 300lbs and saying you are stronger because you can do 315lbs without considering you have 80lbs on the the guy. just ignorant

Chronz
05-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Non story turned click bait.

eDush
05-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Curry is MVP and deserves it for season record and clutch pressure play :clap:.

Saddletramp
05-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Non story turned click bait.

Yep

JordansBulls
05-14-2016, 10:24 PM
This will make Iggy shut down Lebron even more so now for talking junk.

blahblahyoutoo
05-15-2016, 12:00 AM
in the words of durant, "he a idiot".

jerellh528
05-15-2016, 01:22 AM
Not sure what other conversation James is talking about, curry was best and most valuable player this year by a mile

prodigy
05-15-2016, 04:58 AM

Didn't LeBron avg over 30 and close to a triple double and take 2 games from Warriors by himself? lol, clam down young man.

Lebron is clearly more Valuable to the Cavs then Curry is to the Warriors. Cavs are built around Lebron. Warriors could prob still win 55+ with Curry. But Curry had a great season. Depends what u look for in a "MVP"

eDush
05-15-2016, 10:36 AM

Didn't LeBron avg over 30 and close to a triple double and take 2 games from Warriors by himself? lol, clam down young man.

Lebron is clearly more Valuable to the Cavs then Curry is to the Warriors. Cavs are built around Lebron. Warriors could prob still win 55+ with Curry. But Curry had a great season. Depends what u look for in a "MVP"
Dubs would barely make the playoffs like the Rockets without Curry for the whole reason. Only a fool would think they can win 55+ games. Without Barnes maybe but not Curry, fool :nod:

MonroeFAN
05-15-2016, 11:29 AM
I don't see how he was more valuable than a player like Lillard if I'm being perfectly honest. You can make the claim that the Warriors still would have won 50+ games without Curry. Portland without Lillard is lucky to win 25. Not a shot on Curry, but it's just a stupid award process.

MonroeFAN
05-15-2016, 11:31 AM

65k+ posts of straight up nonsense.

Iggy is poop on the bottom of Lebron's shoe

MygirlhatesCod
05-15-2016, 12:52 PM
I don't see how he was more valuable than a player like Lillard if I'm being perfectly honest. You can make the claim that the Warriors still would have won 50+ games without Curry. Portland without Lillard is lucky to win 25. Not a shot on Curry, but it's just a stupid award process.

I guess that's true if you value limping into the playoffs over winning a title.

CHANGO
05-15-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm glad there are people with some common sense on this board.

And yes, I don't think anyone can argue that Lillard is more valuable to his team than Curry. Warriors can still win playoffs game without Curry. Take out Lillard and you are drafting Top 5 this year.

BIG worm
05-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Why are people in here even debating which players are more valuable to their teams? This is a league award not a team one. Curry was by far and away the league's most valuable player. And why else would LeBron chose to ponder what the word "valuable" means when asked this question if to not try to take some shine away from Curry? LeBron comes off as a pretty insecure guy, passive aggressive comments like this are right up his alley.

MonroeFAN
05-15-2016, 01:23 PM
I guess that's true if you value limping into the playoffs over winning a title.

It's an award based on regular season play though. I happen to think what Lillard did was equally as impressive. But honestly, I'm being unfair to Steph because he is that good. It's easy to look the other way, but %'s are one thing in basketball that don't lie.

MygirlhatesCod
05-15-2016, 05:45 PM
It's an award based on regular season play though. I happen to think what Lillard did was equally as impressive. But honestly, I'm being unfair to Steph because he is that good. It's easy to look the other way, but %'s are one thing in basketball that don't lie.

I see what you are saying and I get it (kinda) but being the key component to pushing your team to a 5th seed is never going to be as relevant as pushing your team to a one seed. for the league in general nobody has done more than curry and it isn't close. look at the attention he is bringing to the nba. from merchandise to ticket sales its undeniable. he has an absurd following like an hour before the game even starts. I was in a random bar in phoenix watching the warriors thunder game that went into ot and the crowd that was going crazy from start to finish was stupid big. that was a RS game that he made feel like a game 7. that cant be said for any other player. I would be shocked if there was a crowd in Texas watching Dame's team playing a team not from Texas in the RS. MVP of the league and to his team should and is without question.

Saddletramp
05-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Dubs would barely make the playoffs like the Rockets without Curry for the whole reason. Only a fool would think they can win 55+ games. Without Barnes maybe but not Curry, fool :nod:

This is really silly. If Curry missed the whole year, that team is in the group right behind The Clippers. They'd be vying for that 4th seed. You can't tell me that those players in Kerr's system wouldn't be a middle of the pack playoff team at least.

And you sure as **** can't tell me that Klay is better than Harden if he can't lead that team to a 4 or 5 seed without Curry.

Oh, and if you take Barnes off that team (and only Barnes), they'd be a 71 win team.

MygirlhatesCod
05-15-2016, 06:03 PM
This is really silly. If Curry missed the whole year, that team is in the group right behind The Clippers. They'd be vying for that 4th seed. You can't tell me that those players in Kerr's system wouldn't be a middle of the pack playoff team at least.

And you sure as **** can't tell me that Klay is better than Harden if he can't lead that team to a 4 or 5 seed without Curry.

Oh, and if you take Barnes off that team (and only Barnes), they'd be a 71 win team.

I don't even think it would be that much. ill go with 72.

europagnpilgrim
05-15-2016, 06:20 PM
the reality is curry is not the typical ball dominate/volume shooter that usually is associated with the award. when a team first historically efficient shooter (not the whole, player x gets a chunk of points from FT's efficient) that is undersized gets MVP the NBA unwritten standard committee gets all bent because its not supposed to happen. the side kick isn't supposed to be the best and that's how the appearance looks. it can be summed up as being at a gym and seeing a smaller guy benching 300lbs and saying you are stronger because you can do 315lbs without considering you have 80lbs on the the guy. just ignorant

Volume shooting can be done shooting 50 or 40pct, just how how Curry shoots high number of 3's per game, basically half or more of his shots are 3's, meaning he is a volume 3pt shooter

no matter how you try and cut it, it is what it is..nothing more nor less

Curry is ball dominant since the offense runs through him and most of the time he is bringing up the ball in his hands, plus he runs off screens a lot to get the ball, making him ball dominant, any dominant scorer or high assist player will dominate the ball, how do you think Magic and Stockton and others get high assist totals? by dominating the ball or not?

Nash(minus the scoring but more dimes) got two mvp's also doing what Curry does but Curry is a better version of that as I stated on here and elsewhere, Nash dominated the ball running that 7 seconds or less system, nothing wrong with that just like nothing wrong with Curry being a volume 3pt shooter

even if Curry didn't have Klay/Green or whoever to pass it to it still wouldn't take away from his abilities, meaning he would have to shoot more and take tougher shots but he would still be able to stroke it, just not as efficient as you would like

MygirlhatesCod
05-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Volume shooting can be done shooting 50 or 40pct, just how how Curry shoots high number of 3's per game, basically half or more of his shots are 3's, meaning he is a volume 3pt shooter

no matter how you try and cut it, it is what it is..nothing more nor less

Curry is ball dominant since the offense runs through him and most of the time he is bringing up the ball in his hands, plus he runs off screens a lot to get the ball, making him ball dominant, any dominant scorer or high assist player will dominate the ball, how do you think Magic and Stockton and others get high assist totals? by dominating the ball or not?

Nash(minus the scoring but more dimes) got two mvp's also doing what Curry does but Curry is a better version of that as I stated on here and elsewhere, Nash dominated the ball running that 7 seconds or less system, nothing wrong with that just like nothing wrong with Curry being a volume 3pt shooter

even if Curry didn't have Klay/Green or whoever to pass it to it still wouldn't take away from his abilities, meaning he would have to shoot more and take tougher shots but he would still be able to stroke it, just not as efficient as you would like

I know he is both but I said he is not your typical one. when people see a fat dude that can do back flips it makes them question *****. an undersized MVP that changes the game is questioned as well.

prodigy
05-16-2016, 02:27 AM

Why am I a fool? you think the Warriors would suck without curry? I mean they played great without him. still have Thompson and Green. Both top 20 players if not higher. I also remember a lto of ''warrior'' fans screaming how great the Warriors are and how they could win 6+ without Curry. Those are the fools young man.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2016, 09:38 AM
I can't believe people are still simple minded enough to fall for these high school, "did you hear what he said about you" antics.

Lebron was very complimentary of Steph and at the end made the very fair point that most valuable can be a different conversation.

That's a question that is always debated, most valuable to their team? Most valuable of the league? That's part of why it's taken so long to have a unanimous vote, becauae people see valuable differently.

bingo

ewing
05-16-2016, 10:00 AM

solid post.

nastynice
05-16-2016, 12:31 PM

You mean back handed complimentary.

Lebron knows exactly what he's saying and doing, and I must admit, I love it. He still feels he's the best player in the world and he wants everyone to know he doesn't care what anyone else's opinion on it is. I like when players are confident and speak their mind, this isn't kindergarten, these grown men, they can handle little shots like this.

IKnowHoops
05-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Why are people in here even debating which players are more valuable to their teams? This is a league award not a team one. Curry was by far and away the league's most valuable player. And why else would LeBron chose to ponder what the word "valuable" means when asked this question if to not try to take some shine away from Curry? LeBron comes off as a pretty insecure guy, passive aggressive comments like this are right up his alley.

Exactly. It is a league award, and Steph was the NBA MVP. Thats why the award can go to the leagues best player, because the best player in the league, is the MVP of the league. I do think the media has spun this into something worse.

Chromehounds
05-16-2016, 01:25 PM
LeBron the self-proclaimed King and Best Player in the World, need I to say more? Here's what LeRun meant....

If Curry was in the EAST, he would've been more Valuable! ;)

bigmac8675
05-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Lebron's just jealous... trying to get in Steph's head

LA_Raiders
05-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Lol, LeBron is jealous because he is not as relevant as he used to be. Curry is the best player in NBA period.

ewing
05-17-2016, 12:54 AM
Lebron's just jealous... trying to get in Steph's head

i've been staring at you sig for 35 minutes

OceanSpray
05-17-2016, 01:01 AM
I'm glad Tony_Starks has given up the hate for LeBron in appreciation of how truly great he is. Kobe's retirement must have given him a reflection of appreciating great players regardless of who they are. Why are people taking this as a dig against Curry? Is LeBron incorrect? Being the best player does not mean you are the most valuable. Steve Nash was the MVP for two seasons. I'm sorry but if you would rather take Nash over LeBron/Kobe/Wade, you should just stop watching basketball or just stop being stubborn and admit that LeBron is right here. Hate LeBron all you want but 1-5 in the regular season without him is enough proof that this team needs LeBron more than LeBron needs them. I don't think Curry is the best player. I see many holes in his game that would be more evident if it weren't for his team being that great. To that argument, Curry needs the Warriors just as much as the Warriors need him. I look at Portland and WOW, they lost four starters and made the playoffs? Portland needs to pay Lillard $200 million right now (pretty sure that guy can afford it). He's more valuable to the Blazers than Curry. See, this is where it gets tough and confusing so the simple thing to do is to just give it to the best player on the best team.

Laker Legend42
05-17-2016, 02:02 AM
Not sure why Lebron didn't just say congrats and move on. Anything other than that he comes out looking like a sore loser. I think one of the Steve Nash awards belonged to Kobe. But he had better stats in year two than in year one. I thought the year Kobe won the award it should have gone to Chris Paul. I believe he was top 5 in points,assist and steals that year. Number one in steals and assist. The year dirk won that should have never happened. He was the first mvp winner NOT to advance to the second round of the playoffs. I think that happened once many many years ago. So Lebron relax. You know the mvp has some 'flavor of the month' elements to it. I will say not only did Curry break records, he had the top selling jersey and fans flocked just to see him warm up. Soooo that sounds pretty valuable to me. Lebron is still the best overall player in the game today.