PDA

View Full Version : Is OKC the real deal?

Vee-Rex
05-14-2016, 10:58 AM
I feel like defeating the Spurs was kinda glossed over on these forums.

All year we crowned the Spurs (and Dubs) as the ones guaranteed to win the finals. All year we placed them on a high pedestal that could only be toppled by the Dubs (and vice versa). We gave praise and glory to what they were able to accomplish in the regular season and we used that information to conclude that the only 2 teams that would raise the trophy would be the Dubs or Spurs. The indication was that no other team would be able to beat them in a 7 game series (Cavs and Thunder would get smashed of course).

Cue in the Thunder. We criticized their depth. We criticized Westbrook and Durant. We criticized their ability to close out games in the regular season. We criticized their coach.

Yet, they were able to somewhat put a beat-down on the Spurs, which should have been quite shocking.

Are the Thunder truly contenders? Are they the better team, or did they just match up well with the Spurs? Are the Spurs the near-unstoppable team that we described them as all year who happened to have a lot of bad things go their against the Thunder? Or are they human?

I guess my point is... where does the credit/criticism go? Thunder or Spurs and which?

Also, does the Thunder have enough to defeat the Warriors or are we keeping the Warriors on that same untouchable pedestal?

Shammyguy3
05-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Thunder's athleticism was a big advantage against the Spurs. But, the Thunder won 55 games and have two top-7ish players and Kevin Durant overtook the series. The Thunder are a contending team that would be the odds in many different seasons over the last decade, but this year they played in the same conference as two historically great teams. They beat one of them. Great for them, let's see if they can do it again.

IBleedPurple
05-14-2016, 11:22 AM
They have the potential to be, but rarely are...

europagnpilgrim
05-14-2016, 12:09 PM
4 Conference finals in past 6 or so years is not chopped liver, fact

most fan bases would act like they have won the title with that resume alone, see Wolves or any bottom tier team fanbase for proof

Scoots
05-14-2016, 12:57 PM
The Warriors have maybe 2 top 10 players, the Thunder have 2 top 5 players. Of course they are the real deal. The question is which Thunder team and which Warriors team show up? Either way it's going to be fun.

DboneG
05-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Is OKC the real deal? We will soon find out.

I think OKC have a legitimate chance to beat the GSW. Durant can score with the best of them when he's on. RWB is finally figuring it out...you can see he's having fun. I think he's ready for the RWS/Curry match-up. OKC have defenders, bigs, scorers..they only problem is: Dion Waiters and Randy Foye. Will these two show up?

DboneG
05-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Give Billy Donovan a lot of credit! He out coached Pops. He's laid back, great temperament for a coach. He will be a factor in this series also. He's a college coach guru..in the NCAA tourney you have to be prepared for one game...it's one and done. He's great at analysing a team for a single game. Give him a 7 game series...wow! Look what he's done! Made adjustments after every game, he out coached the Coach. Maybe Durant stays.

mrblisterdundee
05-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Oklahoma City is finally healthy in the playoffs. That's the most important.
Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant are as great as they have been the last few years. The difference is the rest of the team doing better, also allowing the Thunder to go big and small with anyone.
Serge Ibaka is feeling a bit left out, but between he, Enes Kanter and Steven Adams, their front court is looking solid. And then you can put Durant at power forward.
Andre Roberson is providing the defense they need at shooting guard and small forward, along with Randy Foye. Even Dion Waiters is having a respectable performance.

kobe4thewinbang
05-15-2016, 12:08 AM
It could happen. Like I said in the series thread:

- What if Curry gets re-injured?
- What if Durant is as unguardable as he was against Kawhi?
- What if Westbrook has a strong series?

It should go at least 5 games. I still say the Warriors win, though. It depends on how well Durant plays and if OKC is able to keep moving the ball and if someone else steps up for them.

jerellh528
05-15-2016, 01:27 AM
They just took out this year's Spurs in a 7 game series. I'd say they're legit

SonicsvsBulls
05-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Not the real deal. They have done this about 5 other times then lose the next round in a quick 5 games.

They are not a well run organization or franchise.

If they were still in Seattle with those awesome jerseys, awesome fanbase and arena atmosphere they would be everyone's favorite team in the entire USA and world for that matter. They would also be pulling 15 Shares in the Neilson rating.

They have clown jerseys. That's just the way it is.

If they were in Seattle this would be an epic series coming up between the Seattle SuperSonics and Golden State Warriors.

TheNumber37
05-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Yes, they are the real deal.

Unfortunately for them, Golden State is more real

lamzoka
05-15-2016, 03:40 PM
like i said in the other thread, its all fun and games until you run into the warriors.

Warriors in 5

ewing
05-15-2016, 06:27 PM
yeah they are good

Iron24th
05-15-2016, 06:31 PM
I still take warriors in 5 or 6

flea
05-15-2016, 07:04 PM
They've been the real deal since their 2012 run where they beat the Kobe/Gasol Lakers and the Spurs (after which was the 3rd time they were too old to win anymore). '13 they lost Westbrook, '14 they lost to one of the best playoff teams ever, '15 they lost Durant, and now they're healthy.

Durant is only just now the age Lebron was when he first won a title. They've got solid frontcourt depth, can play a variety of styles, their defense has improved steadily over the year, and they've got a HOF coach. The league should be scared, this could be the beginning a strong run considering Westbrook/Durant are the same age and their role players are the same or younger.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-15-2016, 11:08 PM
The last four years they've finished the season with a healthy Westbrook and KD they've gone to the WCF at least and I think that would qualify as being a contender, no?

LA_Raiders
05-15-2016, 11:13 PM
Yes, but I don't see them beating the warriors or Cavs. They need a better D win it all.

eDush
05-16-2016, 09:54 PM
The Warriors have maybe 2 top 10 players, the Thunder have 2 top 5 players. Of course they are the real deal. The question is which Thunder team and which Warriors team show up? Either way it's going to be fun.
They can only dream of being the real deal as the Spurs are the only real deal besides the Warriors this season in the West and have shown it by the 2nd best record in the league very close to taken the Dubs for the top spot until Pop decided to rest his key players for the playoffs. The Dubs will win this in a cake walk unlike if we had faced the powerful Spurs :nod:.

eDush
05-16-2016, 09:56 PM
I still take warriors in 5 or 6i see either a sweep or 5 at most....like taking candy from a baby :nod:.

ghettosean
05-16-2016, 10:38 PM
This thread kind of bugs me only because OKC were gifted 2 games by the officials on obvious calls.

Spurs should have won that series.

Scoots
05-16-2016, 11:16 PM
i see either a sweep or 5 at most....like taking candy from a baby :nod:.
And you don't understand why people might call you a troll?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

eDush
05-17-2016, 05:17 PM
This thread kind of bugs me only because OKC were gifted 2 games by the officials on obvious calls.

Spurs should have won that series.I agreed totally. Refs wants to take Durant to the finals so he would stay. It makes business sense otherwise the Thunder would be in a long rebuilding mode like the Sixers and Lakers, which is bad for the league. It's a legit conspiracy that makes sense :(

eDush
05-17-2016, 05:23 PM
i see either a sweep or 5 at most....like taking candy from a baby :nod:.
And you don't understand why people might call you a troll?

Sent from my LGLS991 using TapatalkComing from someone who constantly said Barnes was improving this season when most everyone who are not bias knows he hasn't improved since his rookie season. You can't admit I was right on him from the very beginning like I was right on Curry. If that's makes me a troll, so be it...:(

KnicksorBust
05-18-2016, 11:56 AM
The Thunder/Warriors/Cavs are all still at a point in time where if they lose this season was a total failure. The Raptors are the only one playing with house money.

kdspurman
05-18-2016, 01:21 PM

Spurs should have won that series.

We had our chances despite that, but man... That was frustrating to say the least. Who knows how those games play out... That's how it goes sometimes.

Anyway, I do think OKC is the real deal though. Adams/Kanter have been terrific for them, and are certainly difference makers in terms of role players.

Bostonjorge
05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Adams is the real deal

kdspurman
05-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Adams is the real deal

Most definitely

MTL_123
05-18-2016, 03:32 PM
I agreed totally. Refs wants to take Durant to the finals so he would stay. It makes business sense otherwise the Thunder would be in a long rebuilding mode like the Sixers and Lakers, which is bad for the league. It's a legit conspiracy that makes sense :(

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH OMG AAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA god cocaine is a hell of a drug ahahhahahahha wow

GoferKing_
05-18-2016, 03:47 PM
In short, nope.

ClassyAshyLarry
05-19-2016, 12:58 PM
I agreed totally. Refs wants to take Durant to the finals so he would stay. It makes business sense otherwise the Thunder would be in a long rebuilding mode like the Sixers and Lakers, which is bad for the league. It's a legit conspiracy that makes sense :(

Nah. Doesn't make sense and isn't legit at all. It's nice to see what excuse you will use if the GSW don't win the finals though.

ewing
05-19-2016, 01:00 PM
^^^^ crazy Larry knows what's up