PDA

View Full Version : Is Durant basically a lock now to stay in OKC?

beasted86
05-14-2016, 10:40 AM
They've reached the WCF, and should be knocking at the door for the next couple years with the Spurs seemingly fading.

I don't see any other team with the ability give him his full true max of $27M that has more overall talent and youth. They are also the only team that can give him that 5th year at like $35M or whatever it is.

Scoots
05-14-2016, 01:11 PM
I don't think anything is a lock until a deal is signed.

D-Leethal
05-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Far from it - with Westbrook an impending FA it's going to be real tough to get Durant to sign anything more than a 1 year deal with OKC. I could see him signing a 2 year deal with 1st year opt out like LeBron, as a way of taking one last shot at it with Westbrook, but that's about it. Too risky to bank on Westbrook staying long term. And without Westbrook AND Durant that is not close to a contender. They rely more on 2 guys than any other great team since the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, their support is kind of trash out side of some good hustle guys and Mehbaka.

beasted86
05-14-2016, 02:17 PM
^Westbrook can hypothetically sign an extension this summer also since he is entering the last year on his contract. But I'll admit it's unlikely he will do that since extensions are limited to 3 years.

There's also the possibility Durant signs a LeBron type of contract, a 2yr deal with a 2nd year option. That way him and Westbrook are free agents the same time, and he can get a "supermax" since he will be a 10yr veteran eligible for 30% of the cap.

DboneG
05-14-2016, 02:26 PM
No...he will test the waters, weather he make it to the finals or not. You/he'll never know what type of scenario comes into play over the summer. If OKC win the finals..different story. I think he stay in OKC and defend his title, build on his legacy.

jason
05-14-2016, 02:39 PM
His mom made it seem like hes definitely not staying

lamzoka
05-14-2016, 02:49 PM
It's all fun and games til you get swept by the Warriors.

MygirlhatesCod
05-14-2016, 03:00 PM
if and its a big if they get swept by the warriors I think it will be difficult for the thunder organization to provide a legit reason he should continue with an almost there squad. coupled with westy not being guaranteed after next season it would be a mistake for Durant not to at least entertain other teams.

Quinnsanity
05-14-2016, 03:27 PM
If they compete with GSW he'll probably stay. But if they get swept it'd be pretty hard to convince him that OKC is close to a championship since the Warriors road block would still be there and they wouldn't have any way to overcome it.

lol, please
05-14-2016, 03:30 PM
He will be a warrior. Mark my words.

beasted86
05-14-2016, 03:33 PM
What other teams can offer a better situation along with the full max? I can't think of any, and I don't believe he's giving anyone a discount.

Scoots
05-14-2016, 03:35 PM
If they get swept he probably isn't going to the Warriors. Too much like surrender.

Scoots
05-14-2016, 03:38 PM
I think I'm coming to the conclusion that superstar players who sign for the MAX max are not the "right" kind of player. If they are measuring their worth by the difference between $25M a year and $20M then they are not measuring themselves in the right way.

I honestly don't know, but has a superstar ever moved for a max contract and won a title on that contract?

R. Johnson#3
05-14-2016, 03:41 PM
He's coming East.

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2016, 03:49 PM
There are a lot of moving pieces. My belief was that KD was going to stay regardless. He is in a very good position on OKC.

But there are other landing spots that could work. Washington is his home town and has some talented young players whose potential would shine with him, and he's have an easier path to the finals. MIA would also provide him an easier path to the finals and give.

I think the Spurs, especially if they work out something that lands them Conley and/or Horford would be a great spot for KD, but I'm not sure the salary cap would allow for all those players at once.

The GSW Warrior are in a position to sign KD, and if they do they'd have 4 guys who one could argue are each currently the best at their position. And if GSW trounces OKC, then KD might be very tempted to join them.

But at the end of the day, OCK has been his home, and they have a great young core, in guys likes Adams, and they have another MVP candidate in Westbrook. It is a shame that they let Harden and Sefolosha and hell, even Kevin Martin go. But if they could pick up a good SG in free agency, then OKC would be even more appealing.

He's got a lot of great options, and as sweet as this victory was, it will be the after taste of the final game of the Thunder's season that has a lasting impression in the offseason, and I don't think that last game will be a win.

beasted86
05-14-2016, 08:40 PM
I think I'm coming to the conclusion that superstar players who sign for the MAX max are not the "right" kind of player. If they are measuring their worth by the difference between $25M a year and $20M then they are not measuring themselves in the right way.

I honestly don't know, but has a superstar ever moved for a max contract and won a title on that contract?
$5M with raises in between is like $25M just over those first 4 years. The 5th year kicker also comes in handy because you never know when you're the next T-Mac, Jermaine O'Neal, Yao, etc. injuries happen. So including the 5th year that's like $60M. Nothing to scoff at.

GREATNESS ONE
05-14-2016, 09:36 PM
He's going to sign a one year max deal and come out in next years FA with Westbrook.

Dade County
05-15-2016, 12:11 AM
Miami HEAT!

numba1CHANGsta
05-15-2016, 12:52 AM
he's going to re-sign for 1 year and wait and see what Westbrook does next year. Westbrook is going to leave for sure IMO so I think they wanna win a championship together while they still can in OKC

mrblisterdundee
05-15-2016, 12:58 AM
Nothing is certain until pen hits paper. I remember hearing Durant could sign a 1-year deal to see where things stand. But Oklahoma City is probably the best situation for him to win, even if he's in the same conference as Golden State and San Antonio.

jerellh528
05-15-2016, 01:16 AM
Yes but not because they won. It's because he'll sign a 1 year deAl with them and then sign for a full maximum 10 year Vet contract next offseason and get loads more money

KnicksorBust
05-15-2016, 08:21 AM
We've had a few of these threads about Durant's FA decision and I keep thinking the same thing. He seems like a career 1 team guy. Like a Duncan. Like a Kobe. He's almost like a merge of those two guys personalities. I don't think he's got it in his DNA to jump to GState or the Spurs to chase an easier chance at a ring. Plus he's been extremely lucky to have gotten to play with Westbrook basically his whole career. He's got enough talent in OKC to get it done and they can offer the most money. I still say he stays with the Thunder his whole career. At least I know if I'm wrong there will be an "eat crow" thread for me in the future.

mike_noodles
05-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Him and Derozan to the Lakers. Book it.

BKLYNpigeon
05-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Honestly, whatever team or super team Durant forms will be good enough to beat golden state in the next 2-3 years. It takes more then just a couple great players on paper. You need the right management, coaching staff, role players, and chemistry. It just doesn't happen overnight.

Why waste 3 years of your career if you know you're going to get bounced in the playoffs? It really doesn't matter if you're ring chasing at 27 or 32 years old. Do we discredit lebrons 2 rings or Clyde Drexlers 1 ring?

JAZZNC
05-15-2016, 11:31 AM

Shaq qualifies doesn't he?

eDush
05-16-2016, 02:47 AM
They've reached the WCF, and should be knocking at the door for the next couple years with the Spurs seemingly fading.

I don't see any other team with the ability give him his full true max of $27M that has more overall talent and youth. They are also the only team that can give him that 5th year at like $35M or whatever it is.
Only a fool would think the Spurs are fading when they are the most consistent team the past decade with the 2nd best record this season. The Spurs are the only team that can beat the Warriors in the post season.

8kobe24
05-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Nothing is ever a lock. Money talks...

Chronz
05-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Only a fool would think the Spurs are fading when they are the most consistent team the past decade with the 2nd best record this season. The Spurs are the only team that can beat the Warriors in the post season.
That's what they say about everyone who predicts the demise of a current power, even if accurate. Spurs havent been consistently dominant, they had lull years too

SportsFanatic10
05-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Yes I think so. Although I pretty much have never thought he'd leave.

Nothing is ever a lock. Money talks...

Well luckily for OKC they have money on their side when it comes to being able to offer him the biggest contract out of any of his other suitors. If he does choose the money, then he would stay just like Melo with the Knicks.

xxplayerxx23
05-16-2016, 01:07 PM
He could sign a 2 year Max with a 1 year opt out. One last go at it, if not I could see him going east.

xxplayerxx23
05-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Nothing is certain until pen hits paper. I remember hearing Durant could sign a 1-year deal to see where things stand. But Oklahoma City is probably the best situation for him to win, even if he's in the same conference as Golden State and San Antonio.

Out east you got Lebron to beat, west you got the Warriors the Spurs (only going to get better prob add pau this offseason)

j-bay
05-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Alright time to give up the fantasy. KD is most likely to stay in OKC. They have proven they can compete with the best. And no he probably won't sign a one year deal either. I'm going to guess a 5 year deal. He has the right coach, another very good star right next to him, and no media pressure.

ManRam
05-23-2016, 01:30 PM
why would anyone here pretend to know for certain?

bucketss
05-23-2016, 01:31 PM
i think it would be cowardly for him to leave.

Aust
05-24-2016, 03:20 AM
Yes. I wanted him to stay in OKC and retire a Thunder ever since those FA rumors began ages ago.

Sportsguy9695
05-24-2016, 06:44 AM
I think it will all depend on what the thunder do in this western confrence finals. if they make the finals i see him staying. if they get eliminated i see him leaving town

Tony_Starks
05-24-2016, 12:34 PM
It's crazy how many people were predicting OKC was going to get swept just a week ago.

Playoffs are all about match ups and timing, always have been.

AllBall
05-24-2016, 04:20 PM
I believe he'll sign a 1 year deal so that he can bee a free agent together with Westbrook and have the biggest leverage free agency has ever seen. The league will be held hostage the Summer of 2017.

naps
05-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Nobody really knows what's going to happen but from what I understand he's going to sign a one and one deal just to make sure he has enough flexibility going into next year. It makes sense from basketball standpoint and from Financial standpoint. I think I read somewhere if waits to sign the max deal next year, he will be singning a $226 million contract instead of around $150 this summer. And he can ride one more season with this team to see if they can win. Also entering free agency with Westrlbrook is another enticing idea. They can tag team and you onow LA and NY will be freeing up cap space like crazy.

europagnpilgrim
05-24-2016, 07:15 PM

Diesel did it when he signed with lakers after 96' season, four years into his deal, Jordan did it at 1 year deals during the second 3 peat but was with the Bulls entire tenure, its rare though.. very

MTL_123
05-24-2016, 07:25 PM
I think if he makes it to the finals hes a lock to stay but if he loses this series he might leave

Scoots
05-24-2016, 08:20 PM
Diesel did it when he signed with lakers after 96' season, four years into his deal, Jordan did it at 1 year deals during the second 3 peat but was with the Bulls entire tenure, its rare though.. very
Those two didn't because max contracts didn't exist at the time.

It's telling that it took nearly 20 years for a player to make close to what MJ made those few years and Jordan was still under paid.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Yanks All Day
05-24-2016, 08:56 PM
There wasn't any reason for Kevin Durant to leave before the season started, and there's even less of a reason now. 3 simple reasons here:

1) The cap is going up this year AND next. It would be economically irresponsible for a max contract guy to lock in a long-term deal this year. It's why LeBron signed the deals he did. KD is going to sign a 1 year deal in OKC and re-evaluate next year. But he's going to make significantly more money when he maxes out next year. No way he signs long-term this year.

2) There's no clear upgrade team available without gutting the roster of key role players. The Thunder are young and great. Their average age is what? 26? They're set up to be one of the 2 best teams in the West for years if he stays, especially with the Spurs facing Duncan/Parker/Ginobili questions. He's already in the best spot for him, and since signing a 1 year deal makes the most sense, why not go with the best team and continuity route?

3) Russell Westbrook is a free agent next year. They clearly like playing together, despite the media narrative. Again, he can sign a 1 year deal, max out next year when the cap rises, and then they can leave TOGETHER if they really think OKC isn't the team for them.

To me, it makes absolutely no sense why he would even consider leaving this year when everything points towards next year being the key year to consider.

numba1CHANGsta
05-24-2016, 10:42 PM
KD staying in OKC is good for business

LOL @ people saying he was gonna go to SA or GS

ISIAH_THOMAS
05-25-2016, 03:11 PM
As long as Westbrook is around Durant is going to be in OKC

ISIAH_THOMAS
05-25-2016, 03:12 PM

Always thought KD to the Warriors was Crazy. Dude has to much pride to go play on that loaded Roster. He would lose a lot of respect

eDush
05-27-2016, 10:36 AM

Always thought KD to the Warriors was Crazy. Dude has to much pride to go play on that loaded Roster. He would lose a lot of respectCurry whisper into KD ear during the commercial break that he can take as many shots as he likes as their starting 3 if he join so it still can happen especially if they lose to my Dubs :clap:.

JasonJohnHorn
05-27-2016, 02:49 PM
OKC has been and remains the favorites to sign him.

But if these teams lets GSW come back from being down 3-1, he might think they don't have what it takes. If they win the series, and lose the finals, he might feel like they don't have enough. If he wins, he might say: I brought them a title. Now I'm going home (or where ever).

OKC can offer him more money. But they've also showed reluctance to pay players in the past (hence dumping Harden and letting Martin and Sefolosha walk away). That has got to be frustrating. They could have won two titles by now. If the front office is going to pull a Phoenix and cut the legs out from under the coach and players by letting big names leave, KD may simply opt to go somewhere that will actually pay to win.

But as it stands... OKC is in a very good spot to re-sign him.

FlashBolt
05-27-2016, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't blame KD if he left. It's actually been over seven years right now so it's time for him to think about his future right now. If he doesn't think OKC is best for him, then it's his choice. I will always respect how great he was for us. I will not forgive him if he goes to the Warriors, though. To leave Westbrook alone so he can run off to the Warriors is a huge copout.