PDA

View Full Version : What's Next for the Spurs?

Wade n Fade
05-13-2016, 01:08 AM
The Spurs are possibly the best example of consistency in today's NBA. They may have never won back to back titles, but they sure have won with grace, resiliency, high basketball IQ, and ingenuity.

Now, there is a possibility Manu and Tim Duncan could play another year. But let's discuss what will the Spurs do with or without them for the upcoming season?

Without them, I think you have two of the best players at their respective positions in LMA and Leonard. RC Bufford is one of the best FO executives in league history. With cap space, the best active coach in the league, and a terrific fanbase, the Spurs are an attractive market.

Does San Antonio get a Gasol or Horford to pair with LMA? Do they possibly lure Durant and move Leonard to the 4? Or do they possibly move Tony Parker and get younger with Mike Conley Jr.? Do they keep TP and let go of Patty Mills to get Conley with Parker off the bench?

Now, let's assume that Duncan and Manu come back? Well, the best possible big three this modern era will ever see? They're back for once more tour of duty. Armed with cap space, a talented roster, they have ammo to make some good moves. Gasol is still in play. Horford is a possibility with the right cap clearing or taking less $ to be a champion?

Now, this last possibility is the most intriguing one. What if Pops, Manu, and Duncan retire as a trio? Who would be a possible coaching replacement? Would it be someone historic like Becky Hammon, who coached the Spurs Summer League team to a title? Or would it be someone familiar to the Spurs way, Mike Budenholzer? Or could it be the upstart Jeff Hornaceck, who was applauded for his near playoff run with a young Suns team during his tenure with the Suns?

Each of these possibilities could occur. I think Pops stays on as coach because he was rumored to have told LMA that he will coach him long term. Duncan is not sure if he will retire or not.

kobe4thewinbang
05-13-2016, 01:15 AM
Well, I'm still in shock. This is the year they could've played villain and narrowly bested GSW.

Yes, it falls on them, but it also falls on those terrible referees.

I have Pau Gasol on my team in NBA 2K, and I think it would be great for Gasol. He's not as "old" as Duncan, so he could contribute when say Aldridge has a rare bad night. Gasol himself has told the media joining the Spurs would be "interesting."

Hopefully the Spurs get it right next season, because they had a phenomenal year in which the rise of Kawhi Leonard reached the brim and Aldridge showed he can earn back that big contract. This is also an interesting thing I found tonight:

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/05/spurs-to-pursue-mike-conley.html

Spurs are looking to pursue Mike Conley of the Spurs' whipping boys, the Memphis Grizzlies. Conley says he needs a clear picture of what's going to happen with the Grizzlies who have been relevant despite injury-marred seasons lately, so he may very well be done with Memphis.

But I don't get it from the Spurs perspective.

I realize that Parker is getting up there too, and the last years of his contract look more like loyalty pay than his recent production, so they'd perhaps trade him for Conley but I doubt it. More likely an off the bench role for Parker. But Conley is best friends with the injury bug, and he's far past pimples too. It's a weird bit of news, if it's true.

Overall, I think they might land Gasol who might want out of Chicago, or maybe Thaddeus Young from the Nets who they have wanted for years and who said he'd like to play with Kawhi Leonard, comparing himself to him for what he does on the court, and obviously Spurs offer far more than the confused Nets team. Just look up "Thaddeus Young spurs rumors" to find the articles I did. I also think next season they mostly just focus on the growth of Kawhi and production of Aldridge, a good duo if you ask me.

I don't think Duncan gives it up yet, one more year probably to right the ship and make up for this year.

Scoots
05-13-2016, 01:21 AM
Conley?

They need an offensive option at SG, but I don't know that has to be a big money FA. Bazemore? Fournier? Gordon?

They need more athleticism in the bigs ... a shot blocker. Ezeli?

But Duncan and Ginobli and West and Bonner and Miller and Martin leaving doesn't get much money back and Aldridge, Leonard, Parker, Diaw, MIlls, and Green get them to around $70M so it's possible you can get Conley and a starting center and fill out the roster with some reclamation projects and give it another go.

Wade n Fade
05-13-2016, 01:22 AM
Well, I'm still in shock. This is the year they could've played villain and narrowly bested GSW.

Yes, it falls on them, but it also falls on those terrible referees.

I have Pau Gasol on my team in NBA 2K, and I think it would be great for Gasol. He's not as "old" as Duncan, so he could contribute when say Aldridge has a rare bad night. Gasol himself has told the media joining the Spurs would be "interesting."

Hopefully the Spurs get it right next season, because they had a phenomenal year in which the rise of Kawhi Leonard reached the brim and Aldridge showed he can earn back that big contract. This is also an interesting thing I found tonight:

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/05/spurs-to-pursue-mike-conley.html

Spurs are looking to pursue Mike Conley of the Spurs' whipping boys, the Memphis Grizzlies. Conley says he needs a clear picture of what's going to happen with the Grizzlies who have been relevant despite injury-marred seasons lately, so he may very well be done with Memphis.

But I don't get it from the Spurs perspective.

I realize that Parker is getting up there too, and the last years of his contract look more like loyalty pay than his recent production, so they'd perhaps trade him for Conley but I doubt it. More likely an off the bench role for Parker. But Conley is best friends with the injury bug, and he's far past pimples too. It's a weird bit of news, if it's true.

Overall, I think they might land Gasol who might want out of Chicago, or maybe Thaddeus Young from the Nets who they have wanted for years and who said he'd like to play with Kawhi Leonard, comparing himself to him for what he does on the court, and obviously Spurs offer far more than the confused Nets team. Just look up "Thaddeus Young spurs rumors" to find the articles I did. I also think next season they mostly just focus on the growth of Kawhi and production of Aldridge, a good duo if you ask me.

I don't think Duncan gives it up yet, one more year probably to right the ship and make up for this year.

I didn't know anything about Young going to the Spurs as a wish.

As for Conley, he is oft injured, but one of the most under appreciated players the league offers. A good defender with good PG skills. A sign and trade with Parker to Memphis along with one of the Spurs younger players (Boban, Kyle Anderson, etc) is possible.

Although some players are expendable, a group of teams would want one of their role players to improve their roster. Toronto signed Corey Joseph. The Pacers traded for George Hill. Tiago Splitter joined the Hawks via trade. So someone would definitely want a TP as their primary ball handler.

If the Spurs want a younger slashing PG, Goran Dragic would make more sense than a Conley signing a newer deal. Yes, Dragic sucks on D and got a huge deal, but relative to what the market will be via the new cap, his deal is a lot more reasonable.

Jeff Teague is also another FA, so the Spurs have a ton of options if they decide to move on from their long-time PG.

Wade n Fade
05-13-2016, 01:26 AM
Conley?

They need an offensive option at SG, but I don't know that has to be a big money FA. Bazemore? Fournier? Gordon?

They need more athleticism in the bigs ... a shot blocker. Ezeli?

But Duncan and Ginobli and West and Bonner and Miller and Martin leaving doesn't get much money back and Aldridge, Leonard, Parker, Diaw, MIlls, and Green get them to around $70M so it's possible you can get Conley and a starting center and fill out the roster with some reclamation projects and give it another go.

Remember, RC Bufford is a talented FO executive, so he can make things work in ways ala Riley. They're linked to Durant. Parker/Conley S&T would make sense for both Memphis and San Antonio if both sides explore it.

kobe4thewinbang
05-13-2016, 01:34 AM

As for Conley, he is oft injured, but one of the most under appreciated players the league offers. A good defender with good PG skills. A sign and trade with Parker to Memphis along with one of the Spurs younger players (Boban, Kyle Anderson, etc) is possible.

Although some players are expendable, a group of teams would want one of their role players to improve their roster. Toronto signed Corey Joseph. The Pacers traded for George Hill. Tiago Splitter joined the Hawks via trade. So someone would definitely want a TP as their primary ball handler.

If the Spurs want a younger slashing PG, Goran Dragic would make more sense than a Conley signing a newer deal. Yes, Dragic sucks on D and got a huge deal, but relative to what the market will be via the new cap, his deal is a lot more reasonable.

Jeff Teague is also another FA, so the Spurs have a ton of options if they decide to move on from their long-time PG.Yeah, I read reports that they had wanted him. Of course, who knows the truth, but I think he'd be a great Spur.

https://thesixersense.com/2014/02/17/rumor-san-antonio-spurs-pursuing-thaddeus-young/
http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014/02/nba_trade_rumors_san_antonio_g.html

I think Dragic could be good, but he's had a horrible season with the Heat, probably upsetting Riley who is banking hard on Durant and will probably trade Dragic to facilitate that possibility. Despite a couple of good games, Dragic has earned the title "tragic" by Heat fans.

Teague could be interesting, and I do think Conley would be better than Parker at this stage in Parker's career, but to trade him, wow, that would be like trading Duncan or Manu.

Bostonjorge
05-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Howard

kobe4thewinbang
05-13-2016, 01:37 AM
HowardLet's stay in reality. Howard is the antithesis of the Spurs mission statement.

Wade n Fade
05-13-2016, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I read reports that they had wanted him. Of course, who knows the truth, but I think he'd be a great Spur.

https://thesixersense.com/2014/02/17/rumor-san-antonio-spurs-pursuing-thaddeus-young/
http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014/02/nba_trade_rumors_san_antonio_g.html

I think Dragic could be good, but he's had a horrible season with the Heat, probably upsetting Riley who is banking hard on Durant and will probably trade Dragic to facilitate that possibility. Despite a couple of good games, Dragic has earned the title "tragic" by Heat fans.

Teague could be interesting, and I do think Conley would be better than Parker at this stage in Parker's career, but to trade him, wow, that would be like trading Duncan or Manu.

Good thing they didn't trade Leonard for Young. That would've been a horrible mistake. But I agree with Thad Young being a good fit in San Antonio. He can defend and rebound well enough. San Antonio likes hard workers. Oh believe me, that would be horrible for the Spurs family to let someone go, especially if they were so integral to their major runs since TP entered the league.

As for Bostonjorge's comment about Dwight: Although Dwight puts up better stats than most C's in the league, he wouldn't be a good personnel fit with the Spurs because he isn't a hard worker. His laziness, arrogance, lack of mental fortitude, and negative history would clash with the Spurs' professional, hard working, consistent, and analytical approach to the game. As much as I hate Kobe, I side with him on the back and forth between he and Dwight because Kobe was one of the hardest working individuals in recent memory.

kobe4thewinbang
05-13-2016, 01:47 AM
Good thing they didn't trade Leonard for Young. That would've been a horrible mistake. But I agree with Thad Young being a good fit in San Antonio. He can defend and rebound well enough. San Antonio likes hard workers. Oh believe me, that would be horrible for the Spurs family to let someone go, especially if they were so integral to their major runs since TP entered the league.

As for Bostonjorge's comment about Dwight: Although Dwight puts up better stats than most C's in the league, he wouldn't be a good personnel fit with the Spurs because he isn't a hard worker. His laziness, arrogance, lack of mental fortitude, and negative history would clash with the Spurs' professional, hard working, consistent, and analytical approach to the game. As much as I hate Kobe, I side with him on the back and forth between he and Dwight because Kobe was one of the hardest working individuals in recent memory.Yeah, I liked what Thaddeus said in this interview here: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/03/26/sixers-young-points-to-leonard-as-his-counterpart/ so it would have been nuts if they lost Kawhi, obviously I doubt that would've been on the table in the first place, especially if Spurs got wind that Young wanted to play with Leonard. (I have Thaddeus on my Spurs team, lol, too.) With the PF spot kind of bare, Young could help too. Dunno about his contract, though.

Oh, and the problem with Dwight, despite that new interview he did for TNT's "Inside", is that he wants a max deal. That is almost impossible with the Spurs, who I don't reckon think he merits one, like I reckon most of the league feels.

Why do you think the Conley/Tony swap would improve both teams?

nastynice
05-13-2016, 01:48 AM
I think they need to focus on their back court, pick up a slasher. Teague would prob be ideal for them. Also depth. They'll be back next year, that fo knows how to build

Wade n Fade
05-13-2016, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I liked what Thaddeus said in this interview here: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/03/26/sixers-young-points-to-leonard-as-his-counterpart/ so it would have been nuts if they lost Kawhi, obviously I doubt that would've been on the table in the first place, especially if Spurs got wind that Young wanted to play with Leonard. (I have Thaddeus on my Spurs team, lol, too.) With the PF spot kind of bare, Young could help too. Dunno about his contract, though.

Oh, and the problem with Dwight, despite that new interview he did for TNT's "Inside", is that he wants a max deal. That is almost impossible with the Spurs, who I don't reckon think he merits one, like I reckon most of the league feels.

Why do you think the Conley/Tony swap would improve both teams?

I can see Dwight getting a good deal with the Mavs, Bucks, Hawks, and Celtics. Problem is that it won't be a max, so he and his agent have to be realistic.

As for Conley and Parker, they bring benefits for both sides. The Grizzlies love hard working players, which Parker is. He gives more consistency with less health issues and a better offensive game. He can also be had for a decent contract and allow the Grizzlies to get better via fa. As for Conley, he is younger, a better defender, and fits the Spurs newer core of Aldridge and Leonard. It's not the best swap, but it makes some sense.

numba1CHANGsta
05-13-2016, 02:34 AM
Well Leonard is still young and improving, LA is no TD, and Parker is getting up there in age. LA is in his prime right now and is nowhere near the prime years of TD. Idk I just can't see Leonard-LA-old Parker live up to the standards of a TD-Manu-Parker.

More-Than-Most
05-13-2016, 02:47 AM
You retool but nothing drastic. Id trade parker and go after westy next off season if they cant get Durant.

More-Than-Most
05-13-2016, 02:49 AM
I can see Dwight getting a good deal with the Mavs, Bucks, Hawks, and Celtics. Problem is that it won't be a max, so he and his agent have to be realistic.

As for Conley and Parker, they bring benefits for both sides. The Grizzlies love hard working players, which Parker is. He gives more consistency with less health issues and a better offensive game. He can also be had for a decent contract and allow the Grizzlies to get better via fa. As for Conley, he is younger, a better defender, and fits the Spurs newer core of Aldridge and Leonard. It's not the best swap, but it makes some sense.

He will get the max and go to the mavs.... You are just insane if you dont think Howard gets the max with the sad contracts being handed out. I went through this with another Miami fan in another thread.. Go look at all the signings last year and the medicore to sad players that got damn near the max and or the max.

ombada
05-13-2016, 05:17 AM

Jeff Teague is also another FA, so the Spurs have a ton of options if they decide to move on from their long-time PG.

Teague is not a FA, he has one year left on his deal.

Monta is beast
05-13-2016, 05:45 AM
Ezeli would actually be a good pickup for them but i doubt they'll pay him what hes gonna get. They need more athleticism all around.

DboneG
05-13-2016, 07:53 AM
The Spurs need a complete overhaul. It's going to be tough for the Spurs to land big name FA IMO. Players...Big name players, love FREEDOM. Freedom to laugh, have fun, express themselves, have the green light to shoot whenever. That don't happen in San Antonio.
They are all business in SA. Even on the bench.

Tony Parker....has a ton of miles on him. It showed in this series. It looked like RWB was moving 100mph pass Parker at times. Just blowing by the guy.

Tim Duncan...should retire. He had his best game of the series, but, Timmy looked old all series.

Manu Ginobili...has a ton of miles. He couldn't keep up. Only thing he could still do was flop. His shot was off. Reason his shot was off is because he's lost a step. He don't have the lift...HE'S OLD!

Boris Diaw...all the times we saw Boris come in the game and make things happen, came to a halt. Boris couldn't get it done. Is it because he's old?! He was having problems with OKC younger bigs all series.

David West...his age showed in this series. I think he should retire. You see vets come in the game and are able to put their imprint on the game in some kind of way. West?! Nothing! Zero! Zilch!

Matt Bonner...didn't even play. Wouldn't have made a difference anyway. He's up there in age and miles. He Gone!

Andre Miller....had a nice career. He's old. Miller wouldn't have stood a chance against RWB.

Boban Marjanovic...he's decent. He's not an impact player. Just a role player.

Bottom line: I see a new Spurs team next year. And trouble landing a star player.

nycericanguy
05-13-2016, 08:11 AM
He will get the max and go to the mavs.... You are just insane if you dont think Howard gets the max with the sad contracts being handed out. I went through this with another Miami fan in another thread.. Go look at all the signings last year and the medicore to sad players that got damn near the max and or the max.

Howard's max is super max though, I think he's eligible for like $33m per year or something crazy like that... so no I don't think he'll get that. He'll probably get around $20m per.

Sofnr
05-13-2016, 08:24 AM
The Spurs need a complete overhaul. It's going to be tough for the Spurs to land big name FA IMO. Players...Big name players, love FREEDOM. Freedom to laugh, have fun, express themselves, have the green light to shoot whenever. That don't happen in San Antonio.
They are all business in SA. Even on the bench.

Tony Parker....has a ton of miles on him. It showed in this series. It looked like RWB was moving 100mph pass Parker at times. Just blowing by the guy.

Tim Duncan...should retire. He had his best game of the series, but, Timmy looked old all series.

Manu Ginobili...has a ton of miles. He couldn't keep up. Only thing he could still do was flop. His shot was off. Reason his shot was off is because he's lost a step. He don't have the lift...HE'S OLD!

Boris Diaw...all the times we saw Boris come in the game and make things happen, came to a halt. Boris couldn't get it done. Is it because he's old?! He was having problems with OKC younger bigs all series.

David West...his age showed in this series. I think he should retire. You see vets come in the game and are able to put their imprint on the game in some kind of way. West?! Nothing! Zero! Zilch!

Matt Bonner...didn't even play. Wouldn't have made a difference anyway. He's up there in age and miles. He Gone!

Andre Miller....had a nice career. He's old. Miller wouldn't have stood a chance against RWB.

Boban Marjanovic...he's decent. He's not an impact player. Just a role player.

Bottom line: I see a new Spurs team next year. And trouble landing a star player.

lol. So much wrong with this post. Players like winning. San Antonio is a very attractive destination. They definitely don't need an overhaul. They just had an amazing season and would easily have had the best record in any normal year. This team is good. They aren't going anywhere and will continue to be one of the top teams in the West for years to come. They don't really need a huge superstar at this point though. Gasol, a couple small signings and they'll be back in the WCF atleast next year.

IndyRealist
05-13-2016, 08:30 AM
No surprise, I think the exact opposite of many of the people here. The Spurs don't need more guard scoring. They don't need a different SG. While Conley would be nice, it's not strictly necessary to move on from Parker when he's still fairly productive. What they need is more athleticism in the frontcourt. They got exposed as slow and unathletic in their big lineup, and got destroyed on the glass in their small lineup. They very specifically need an athletic, rebounding rim protector who can play at the faster pace that is conducive for the rest of the team. For my money, I'm a big fan of Mason Plumlee. Very good passing big man, runs the floor well, earn his paycheck on the glass.

SonicsvsBulls
05-13-2016, 09:12 AM
They have the worst guards in the entire NBA. Parker, Green and Ginobili have been awful for two straight years now. They need to move on from all three really. Maybe just keep Parker as a backup.

trade Aldridge, he plays zero defense and even if he tried on defense he's still the worst.

West is done.

Duncan could come back but he should be a 15 minute bench player.

They need a legit center with athleticism. They also need a legit athlete at the SG like a Sprewell type that will play defense and take the ball to the rim.

Hawkeye15
05-13-2016, 09:57 AM
as bad as it sounds, they need to ask Duncan and Ginoboli to retire.

They had a ton of older vets, who were exposed for their lack of speed against the Thunder. Infusing some more youth wouldn't hurt.

SportsFanatic10
05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Mostly likely continued 50+ win seasons...as much as I dislike them, they're a fantastic organization.

IndyRealist
05-13-2016, 10:50 AM
They have the worst guards in the entire NBA. Parker, Green and Ginobili have been awful for two straight years now. They need to move on from all three really. Maybe just keep Parker as a backup.

trade Aldridge, he plays zero defense and even if he tried on defense he's still the worst.

West is done.

They need a legit center with athleticism. They also need a legit athlete at the SG like a Sprewell type that will play defense and take the ball to the rim.

I'd take those 3 this year over D'Angelo Russell, Kobe Byrant, and Nick Young.

IndyRealist
05-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Or Jose Calderson, Aaron Afflalo, and Langston Galloway.

Or Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon, and Alonzo Gee.

Gary Harris, Emmanuel Mudiay, and.....Randy Foye?

Or Deron Williams, Raymond Felton, JJ Barea.

Or Shane Larkin, Wayne Ellington, and Donald Sloan.

TheNumber37
05-13-2016, 11:21 AM
They need to reup.

Parker is still okay, but he will be 34 next year but they need another scorer of the bench (Manu) and starting Center (Duncan)

Pau Gasol
Evan Fournier
Conley, Teague

flea
05-13-2016, 11:38 AM
They're sitting pretty. LMA isn't too old and doesn't have an athletic game anyway, they still have the best perimeter defense duo int he league, and their 2-way superstar hasn't even begun the prime of his career yet. There are things they need in the offseason but that is true for every team in the league.

I'm going to operate under the assumption that Manu and Duncan retire. I actually think they both return given their love and the fact they can both still contribute, even if it's much less than it was even 2 years ago.

First is guard play, it's not any good anymore. Parker relies on quickness for his game and that's going away. He'll still be able to contribute for a while but you don't want him being your best offensive guard anymore IMO. Jumper is unreliable from everywhere unless he's being fed into a rhythm, he's not an instinctive or particularly good passer, and he's not a good defender. In short he's best suited for a bench role, where he could thrive as the lead guard on a small-ball transition-oriented 2nd unit. Conley makes a ton of sense - smart passer who is used to running a post-oriented team, good defender, and good shooter. He'd immediately solve 90% of their guard problems.

Second is bigs. LMA is clearly not a bruiser or very tough on the glass so I think starting him and Diaw or another small PF is just not the way to do it. I agree with Indy that an athletic big would do wonders. Plumlee and Ezeli are good players but I think Mozgov and Zaza would work too. Whiteside would be the upside move and Horford would be the dream scenario. Fortunately they don't need scoring from their C so they can go a lot of different directions, but shy of Horford I think Plumlee is best (the younger, who I think is still under contract so it would have to be a trade).

Third is the bench. It got exposed against the Thunder. Sort of like the baseball axiom that if you have 2 good bench options for every position you really don't have any. Diaw is fine but works better with small-ball lineups that mask his defense and lack of shooting. Mills is fine but inconsistent, like he's always been, and very small. I think they need a lead guard like they had with Ginobili to make things happen with the 2nd unit. If Conley comes and pushes Parker into that role then that is the perfect scenario. Otherwise someone like Eric Gordon or Jamal Crawford is going to have to do, and I'm not sure Pop would want to do that. Maybe he sees Kyle Anderson as the ace playmaker of the 2nd unit - but he and Diaw makes for an awfully slow combination of forwards. Barbosa would be a nice subtle move, but he's not going that ace playmaker either (though he would fit with Diaw nicely).

There's a lot of prospects like Simmons, Anderson, Boban, etc. that could work out. None of them are offensive-minded guard though, I think that's got to be #1 goal - either a starter or a 6th man.

Jets012
05-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Guys, they won 67 games this year...

Yes it was not the end they wanted, but that's what happens in a series when all your guys go cold. Their bench was non-existent, it happens. It's unfortunate, but it's part of the game. Players go on streaks all the time. The Spurs players all just went on a cold streak at the same time against OKC.

For next year, they're in decent shape. What is the exact amount of cap space they have 16 million? I think Duncan/Manu should both opt in for one more year. Their declines are drastically overstated. Both look really strong for large stretches this year. Duncan is still an elite rim protector and Manu can still come off the bench and get hot in a game. I don't even think you need them for more than 50-55 games and 20 or so minutes off the bench.

It will be interesting to see what West does. Does he opt in again for that minimum amount? If he does, you're sitting really good.

This teams main problem this year was Danny Green's regression. Is he still a great defender? Yes, one of the better perimeter defenders in the league. But he really struggled shooting the ball throughout the year.

The Spurs need more shooters or a starting caliber Point Guard IMO. Parker was fine this year, but he's better off playing 20 or so minutes these days, rather than the 28 he gets right now. Mike Conley would be PERFECT for San Antonio. He's the prototypical Popovich. He isn't an ISO player, has played in offenses where mid-range shooting and post ups are stressed. He's smart, unselfish, doesn't overly rely on his athleticism. He's a good shooter as well. That makes too much sense in my opinion, if they can go get him. If not, someone like Bazemore/Lee can help them a lot by shooting the ball. The ideal off-season for them would be to grab Conley and roll with this:

Conley/Parker
Green/Manu
Kahwi/Anderson
Aldridge/Diaw
Duncan/West

And with the inevitable missed games of Duncan/Manu/Parker, Pop would still be able to get all his role players minutes and get guys like Simmons/Boban/Mills some work.

IDK how realistic that is cap-wise, but that's what they should shoot for.

lol, please
05-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Let's stay in reality. Howard is the antithesis of the Spurs mission statement.

And everyone elses. Which is why I never get tired of reminding people that Howard chose to go to the Rockets over the Warriors a few seasons ago. :laugh2: Bet he regrets that decision, but thank goodness we missed that disaster as well. How many Rockets fans who were getting hard-ons at the time still are glad they landed Howard?

The man was being called the next SHAQ around here. :laugh: I laughed at it then and I laugh at it now.

mrblisterdundee
05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Al Horford would be the single best option to reproduce Tim Duncan's impact. I've always wanted to see Horford play power forward, but I think he would be OK with sticking at center if he was on a contender. I hope the Blazers get him, but he should probably choose the Spurs first.
I don't see the Spurs immediate adding another older point guard to replace Parker, but Mike Conley would be a good fit. Even if he is injury prone, San Antonio has other guys who can fill in for him. I could also see Jeremy Lin reaching his potential with San Antonio.

DboneG
05-13-2016, 02:52 PM
lol. So much wrong with this post. Players like winning. San Antonio is a very attractive destination. They definitely don't need an overhaul. They just had an amazing season and would easily have had the best record in any normal year. This team is good. They aren't going anywhere and will continue to be one of the top teams in the West for years to come. They don't really need a huge superstar at this point though. Gasol, a couple small signings and they'll be back in the WCF atleast next year.

"Players like winning".... no players like making MONEY. And they like having fun. There's nothing to do in San Antonio, nowhere to go. I'll go visit the Alamo. No babes! The attractive destinations are Miami, LA, Orlando(not the team, the weather and tax situation), Chicago, NY. San Antonio!? Are you kidding me?! You ever see Kawhi ever crack a smile, have fun on the court?! Duncan, Parker...GUYS DON'T WANT TO GO THERE. My Guest is Adam Silver will be making phone calls to agents to get a feel, try and get a few players to go over there.

If they don't need a overhaul....the Spurs will get served up by OKC again. If Durant returns. This Spurs team are old and slow. Looked like they got burned out winning 67 games, they had nothing in the second half of the last game.

SonicsvsBulls
05-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Or Jose Calderson, Aaron Afflalo, and Langston Galloway.

Or Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon, and Alonzo Gee.

Gary Harris, Emmanuel Mudiay, and.....Randy Foye?

Or Deron Williams, Raymond Felton, JJ Barea.

Or Shane Larkin, Wayne Ellington, and Donald Sloan.

Most all those you listed were not the main rotation guards.

Also I will agree on the lakers, but they are not even a team in the NBA anymore. They're such a joke. I mean who gives a loser that hasn't done anything in 5 years a farewell tour?

Besides isn't Clarkson on the Lakers and he's actually a pretty good player.

But overall you missed my point clearly. The point was of the playoff contender type teams they have the worst guards in the NBA.

But more examples of how you basically lied about the rotations of teams. On the Mavs you didn't put down Matthews who is probably better than any Spur guard eventhough he had a horrible season.

The spurs need shot blocking and rebounding, as well as a big athletic guard that can do it all to go along with Kawhi. The reason is Kawhi would guard Durant and then Westbrook would score or vice versa. Also they need someone to guard Curry or Thompson. So there are reasons why I say they need a big athletic guard that can do it all. Perferably 23 years old and ready to go. Although kids today are pretty much never ready to go.

IndyRealist
05-13-2016, 04:13 PM

Also I will agree on the lakers, but they are not even a team in the NBA anymore. They're such a joke. I mean who gives a loser that hasn't done anything in 5 years a farewell tour?

But overall you missed my point clearly. The point was of the playoff contender type teams they have the worst guards in the NBA.

But more examples of how you basically lied about the rotations of teams. On the Mavs you didn't put down Matthews who is probably better than any Spur guard eventhough he had a horrible season.

The spurs need shot blocking and rebounding, as well as a big athletic guard that can do it all to go along with Kawhi. The reason is Kawhi would guard Durant and then Westbrook would score or vice versa. Also they need someone to guard Curry or Thompson. So there are reasons why I say they need a big athletic guard that can do it all. Perferably 23 years old and ready to go. Although kids today are pretty much never ready to go.

I pulled up the rosters and sorted by minutes played. So yes, those are the main rotation of guards for those teams. I did the Lakers from memory. Clarkson's not good. He's just not bad and might get better. Wes Matthews starts at SF. Calling people liars doesn't make you any less wrong. Neither does changing what you said after the fact.

Ty Fast
05-13-2016, 04:31 PM
I think they sign Durant

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2016, 06:44 PM
They are in really good shape, and this salary cap jumping up is going to put them in a good position to add some real talent.

Maybe it's Conley. Maybe Horford. Maybe Durant. Maybe a couple of guys.

As well as LMA has played, I do think they need a guy like Horford more, and a stretch four to play alongside him.

But it's not like they have to re-tool things. Had the officials called the game properly in game 5, we'd be heading into game-7 right now, and the Spurs may be looking to playing the Warriors. They didn't implode. They lost to a very good team, and played competitively.

SonicsvsBulls
05-13-2016, 09:43 PM
I pulled up the rosters and sorted by minutes played. So yes, those are the main rotation of guards for those teams. I did the Lakers from memory. Clarkson's not good. He's just not bad and might get better. Wes Matthews starts at SF. Calling people liars doesn't make you any less wrong. Neither does changing what you said after the fact.

They are the worst guards and I'm not changing what I said. Those three main rotation guards and even count patty mills to make it 4 averaged the least amount of points of any 4 gaurds in the NBA. They are also low on the assist totals so don't act like they're out there for assist. Also they can't play defense anymore. Look I'm a bigger Spurs fan than you but pop the loser has needed to add an actual all around athlete at the guard for about 6 years now and hasn't.

Wes Matthews is a Shooting guard and starting every single game of his career at Shooting guard you dumb$&#

SonicsvsBulls
05-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Horford and Conley do nothing to stopping Westbrook and Durant. Nor does it help them with rebounds vs Ibaka, Adams and Kanter. If they want to be contenders again they need to draft the next Latrell Sprewell to team with Leonard. Then draft a tall physical point guard to defend westbrook.

Then draft a couple of great rebounders I would also trade aldride. He is done. He doesn't rebound or play any defense and the Spurs want to be a defensive team.

JordansBulls
05-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Manu was done in 2013 when he should have won finals mvp because he sabatoged the Spurs from winning.

numba1CHANGsta
05-14-2016, 02:55 AM
I think they sign Durant

Thanks for the giggles hehe

DboneG
05-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Joakim Noah would be great for the Spurs. He's all business and a very good leader, he don't need the ball to be effective, he has great defense. Like some of the guys here were saying...Mike Conley would be a great addition. Bring Tony Parker off the bench. It's clear Tony Parker has a ton of miles on his body and loss a step.

Dade County
05-14-2016, 10:21 AM
i think they sign durant

Miami HEAT!

beasted86
05-14-2016, 10:32 AM
I guess people still don't realize Warriors and Spurs don't have cap space for Durant. We'll be hearing he'll be signing there forever just like we heard NYK had money for 2 max contracts in 2010 (despite the reality of cheeseburger Eddy Curry's contract).

The salary cap will never be understood by the average fan, just the juicy headline or idea. He's staying in OKC people. They will max him ($30M), and they are a WCF team at minimum with the Spurs out of the way now.

IndyRealist
05-14-2016, 10:50 AM

West is done.

They are the worst guards and I'm not changing what I said. Those three main rotation guards and even count patty mills to make it 4 averaged the least amount of points of any 4 gaurds in the NBA. They are also low on the assist totals so don't act like they're out there for assist. Also they can't play defense anymore. Look I'm a bigger Spurs fan than you but pop the loser has needed to add an actual all around athlete at the guard for about 6 years now and hasn't.

Wes Matthews is a Shooting guard and starting every single game of his career at Shooting guard you dumb$&#
So when Dallas was starting Deron Williams, JJ Barea, and West Matthews, Barea was the SF? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Kush McDaniels
05-14-2016, 11:58 AM
They're in great shape for the future, so I don't think Spurs fans should be panicking. They need to upgrade the PG and C positions for sure.

After next season, it'll be interesting to see how the GSWs fill out the rest of their roster. They wont have the money to keep all of Iggy, Bogut, Speights, Barnes, Livingston... with the cap going up, no way other teams don't offer some of these guys big contracts for greater roles. Their depth has given them a lot of cushion, but they'll be in a similar position to the Spurs, Clips, and Thunder in how they surround that core with cheap and reliable enough guys.

xbrackattackx
05-14-2016, 12:02 PM
So when Dallas was starting Deron Williams, JJ Barea, and West Matthews, Barea was the SF? You have no idea what you're talking about.

And I'm pretty sure In Portland, He covered big SF's cause Batum got bullied as well.

Chronz
05-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Manu was done in 2013 when he should have won finals mvp because he sabatoged the Spurs from winning.
But he followed that up with a vintage finals the following year

Wade n Fade
05-16-2016, 09:40 AM
But he followed that up with a vintage finals the following year

Sometimes the great players just find a way to put it together, especially with the way the Spurs play. They had more of a drive and that kicked in.

kdspurman
05-17-2016, 09:35 AM
I was always a little more concerned playing OKC as the year went on vs other WC teams, even GS. Just cause their big guys...

That's where SA needs to look next, I think adding some help on the front-line or developing/using Boban more. Hopefully West comes back, he had a tough series against OKC, but he was really helpful ,especially when Tim went out with an injury. There's no reason to really change too much after this kind of season.

Pop was a bit stubborn against OKC, so he definitely gets some of the blame. I think Duncan can play 1 more year, and maybe even come off the bench. Manu can too, but they need to start grooming someone else off the bench or pick someone up to sort of run that offense.

I've heard Conley come up, Horford, and Pau Gasol, but I don't really know if those are realistic options. A guy like Conley would mean TP coming off the bench. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. It'll be a little while I imagine just to wait and see what Duncan/Manu decide to do