PDA

View Full Version : What would hurt the Warriors more: losing Curry or Green?

JasonJohnHorn
05-12-2016, 10:48 AM
This is not meant to be a bait thread. I think the obvious answer is Curry, but I think it would be interesting to flesh this argument out.

Curry leads the team in scoring, and is the best shooter in the history of the game, but Green led the team in assists, and is therefore crucial to facilitating ball movement for this team. He also led them in rebounds, and is their best defensive player.

He and Leonard are also the only players to rank in the top of both MVP voting and DPOY voting.

But having Curry on the floor no doubt makes things easier for Green. He spread the floor and opens things up.

I think losing each would impact them differently depending on the match up. For example, would losing Green hurt them more against the Spurs? But losing Curry hurt them more against a healthy Clippers squad?

What are your thoughts?

ghettosean
05-12-2016, 10:51 AM
I'd probably lean to the unanimous MVP!!! He's what makes them special.

Heediot
05-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Are you serious?

I know you like to make threads but damn.

Heediot
05-12-2016, 10:58 AM
As versatile as Green is, if you put a guy like Milsap or even Marvin Williams they still win in the mid to high 60's last year.

If you replace a guy like Curry with Lillard or Lowry, they probably won't sniff 60.

Tony_Starks
05-12-2016, 11:08 AM
The shade is real.

MonroeFAN
05-12-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't expect this to be an easy choice for Warrior fans, and personally don't care about opinions of those who watch them a hand full of times a year.

Jamiecballer
05-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Green. I actually don't think this is a tough question to answer. He's the league's most versatile performer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Heediot
05-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Green. I actually don't think this is a tough question to answer. He's the league's most versatile performer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Green and Klay have looked good (without Curry) playing against two teams (Rox and Blazers) that play at a high pace and with not the greatest d's. Trust me the sample you saw with those two will be different if their was more of a variety of opponents. Edit: To add, teams that play fast play right into GS strengths that what Hou and Portland did. If you play like that you benefit guys that thrive in that kind of system like Klay and Green do. If you force some of these guys to break down defense in a tighter half court game you may not see the same results.

I don't think his loss will be as hurtful as a guy like Curry's over a more varied and complete sample. You can replace a guy like Green at his salary with many players of the same salary scale and still have a GS team that can hit 70. You could only replace Curry with maybe LBJ and KD and expect the GS warriors to hit 70. In this context I am giving Curry Super Max salary credentials, because that's what he is truly worth.

Scoots
05-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Curry, but not by a whole lot.

Heediot
05-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Curry, but not by a whole lot.

Warriors borderline 50 win team without Curry.

Warriors borderline 60 win team without Draymon.

Yes Draymon defense and play making are elite. But Curry's offense and shooting are historically legendary.

You can plug in a elite defender at PF for the MLE and the Warriors can ratch up another 5 wins easily form the estimation above.

DboneG
05-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Green. This guy plays with intensity, he can guard 4 positions on the court with ease. And switch off on point guards with no problem. Bring the intensity to the locker room. Who's the guy keeping every one on point?! Draymond. Draymond is out there getting triple-doubles, and playing hella D! Hustling! DRAYMOND! We already saw...the GSW were winning without Curry. This team is on cruise control right now. Not taking anything away from Curry.
But, Draymond Green is special. (I'd like to see what GSW would do without Draymond Green in the line up.)

Heediot
05-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Green. This guy plays with intensity, he can guard 4 positions on the court with ease. And switch off on point guards with no problem. Bring the intensity to the locker room. Who's the guy keeping every one on point?! Draymond. Draymond is out there getting triple-doubles, and playing hella D! Hustling! DRAYMOND! We already saw...the GSW were winning without Curry. This team is on cruise control right now. Not taking anything away from Curry.
But, Draymond Green is special. (I'd like to see what GSW would do without Draymond Green in the line up.)

I'd like to see how GS performs without Curry versus a more balanced (offense/defense) or a more defensive heavy team as well. We have seen that Green and Klay can keep the ship running against offensive and fast paced teams in Houston and Portland.

kingkenny01
05-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Draymond, I know Stephen curry has got but better in the last couple years but they didn't turn the corner until draymond started producing. Curry>draymond but draymond is the glue which holds the team together.

PhillyFaninLA
05-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Here is what I see...if you remove Green you still have a team that can compete for the title, even going through west. It is well built team, with nice support players, and everyone still would play well together.

If you get rid of Curry you get the close but not good enough Pacers from a few years ago at best, or the Atlanta Hawks at worse.

Heediot
05-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Draymond, I know Stephen curry has got but better in the last couple years but they didn't turn the corner until draymond started producing. Curry>draymond but draymond is the glue which holds the team together.

You could make the argument, they didn't start producing until Curry became MVP like. Or you could make another argument and say it was due to the change in coaching regime.

I still believe you could replace Green with a guy like Taj gibson and they would still be favorites for the title. What kind of caliber player do you have to replace Steph with for them to still be title favorites?

DboneG
05-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Taj Gibson...lol Man please.

Hawkeye15
05-12-2016, 02:16 PM
wouldn't it have to be the best player ever?

KnicksorBust
05-12-2016, 02:23 PM
People are picking Draymond. :pity: Curry will never get full credit for what he does. Klay is closer to Draymond than Draymond is to Curry.

lincecum=future
Over the course of the season it's definitely Curry. Playoff time 7 game series the way the team is constructed you can definitely make the case Draymond is the more important player depending on the team they play. Plus the warriors don't exactly have a viable backup to Draymond like they do with Livingston if Curry goes down.

lavell12
Curry is why I watch the Warriors, Green is why I root for them to lose (is there a bigger whinny ***** in the league?)

Wrigheyes4MVP
05-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Curry by a mile

Tony_Starks
05-12-2016, 03:03 PM
I didnt know so many people missed game 4......

You know,the game they would've lost had Curry not gone nuclear?

MygirlhatesCod
05-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Over the course of the season it's definitely Curry. Playoff time 7 game series the way the team is constructed you can definitely make the case Draymond is the more important player depending on the team they play. Plus the warriors don't exactly have a viable backup to Draymond like they do with Livingston if Curry goes down.

Iggy is for sure a viable backup!

MygirlhatesCod
05-12-2016, 03:30 PM
if curry is lost the season is over. if green goes down iggy can step in just fine. the difference is not as close as people think. curry commands so much attention that it makes everything easier for everyone else. its the main reason green has high assist numbers.

MonroeFAN
05-12-2016, 04:05 PM
I don't understand why people are under-selling being a Perennial DPOY candidate for the for-seeable future, and the leading assister for the best offensive team basically of all time.

No all of these scrubs being mentioned could not fill in and do that.

Hawkeye15
05-12-2016, 04:21 PM
People are picking Draymond. :pity: Curry will never get full credit for what he does. Klay is closer to Draymond than Draymond is to Curry.

over the course of a season and playoffs, obviously it's Curry pretty easily here. But sure, Green is a matchup nightmare, and probably helps them win games they may not at times too.

lincecum=future
05-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Iggy is for sure a viable backup!

Backup yes, but you sure as hell ain't starting him (or Barnes) at the 4. If the Warriors played the Spurs for example without Draymond, LMA would absolutely punish any defender the warriors threw at him.

Phantom Dreamer
05-12-2016, 04:53 PM
The answer to the OP is Green. He is much more valuable to the Warriors than Curry.

MygirlhatesCod
05-12-2016, 04:58 PM
I don't understand why people are under-selling being a Perennial DPOY candidate for the for-seeable future, and the leading assister for the best offensive team basically of all time.

No all of these scrubs being mentioned could not fill in and do that.

I don't think its under-selling to say that a green injury would be less detrimental than curry going down. I agree his production would not be matched by any name that has been mentioned but I do believe it would be a lot closer than whoever fills in for curry.

jerellh528
05-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Easily the guy who just had one of the top 5 seasons of all time and put up performances like we've never seen before from anyone. Draymond is obviously a valuable and versatile member of the Warriors.. But curry is one of a kind, a generational type player at this point.

Jamiecballer
05-12-2016, 06:56 PM
wouldn't it have to be the best player ever?
Lol

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

CHANGO
05-12-2016, 10:22 PM
I feel like losing Green would hurt more because he is what allows the W's to play small and have such a great defense. IDK. That's a question for Warriors fans or fans that watch more than half the games.

JAZZNC
05-12-2016, 11:31 PM
I can't believe some people are actually saying Green!?!? Draymond is a good player but Curry is in a completely different universe than Green. If Draymond Green is your best player you are not going anywhere. Green is fine as a 3rd or 4th option guy who plays good defense but let's stop making out like he is some kind of MVP type player. He gets the huge benefit of playing on an incredible team with a great system. Plus the guy is a complete head case. If he wasn't in such a perfect situation he could very well be the big man equivalent of Lance Stephenson.

He gets really inflated stats IMO from passing to the best shooting back court in NBA history and getting wide open looks because of that very same thing. I just feel like Green is one of the most overrated players in the NBA right now. Not as much as I once thought but still highly overrated.

Jayb587
05-12-2016, 11:42 PM
Both of them are necessary. You would have to replace each with another all star to win the title without one. Replacing green with taj Gibson OS not going to cut it. Taj plays decent post def and that's it. Dray literally does everything for that team.

Jayb587
05-12-2016, 11:44 PM
if curry is lost the season is over. if green goes down iggy can step in just fine. the difference is not as close as people think. curry commands so much attention that it makes everything easier for everyone else. its the main reason green has high assist numbers.

Iggy is going to step in and play pf and c? Man please. Give dray his credit. Dray held that team together through all stephs bumps and bruises

EAGLES3658
05-12-2016, 11:57 PM
Can't tell if people are serious when they say Green or not?

CHANGO
05-13-2016, 12:33 AM
I can't believe some people are actually saying Green!?!? Draymond is a good player but Curry is in a completely different universe than Green. If Draymond Green is your best player you are not going anywhere. Green is fine as a 3rd or 4th option guy who plays good defense but let's stop making out like he is some kind of MVP type player. He gets the huge benefit of playing on an incredible team with a great system. Plus the guy is a complete head case. If he wasn't in such a perfect situation he could very well be the big man equivalent of Lance Stephenson.

He gets really inflated stats IMO from passing to the best shooting back court in NBA history and getting wide open looks because of that very same thing. I just feel like Green is one of the most overrated players in the NBA right now. Not as much as I once thought but still highly overrated.

I don't think anyone is saying Green is the best player, it just about versatility and roles. I remember when Spoelstra called Bosh "our most important player" when the Big Three was in Miami. He allowed the HEAT to play small-ball and stretch the floor. And he was versatile so he could defend most PF's and C's and even guards in the switch.

I feel like that's the way it goes with the Warriors, Curry is obviously the best player, but Green is the most important thanks to his versatility.

Jayb587
05-13-2016, 12:43 AM
The beauty of it is, neither of them are replaceable.

Jayb587
05-13-2016, 12:47 AM

Hate like this is the reason dray is as good as he is. He has always been doubted. He has more heart then your favorite player.

Keep up the hate and watch him keep rising. And dominating.

SonicsvsBulls
05-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Without Green and they would be a low 50 win team.

blahblahyoutoo
05-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Without Green and they would be a low 50 win team.

without curry, they would be a low 40 win team.
curry is the one that's creating opportunities for everyone else.

He has more heart then your favorite player.

sorry, heart doesn't win you games.

SonicsvsBulls
05-13-2016, 09:35 AM
They tried it without Green a few years ago. They won 51 games. And that was even while trying to replace him with Prime David Lee and Jermaine O'neal.

they were running with Bogut, Lee, Barnes, Thompson, and Curry. That was also with Mark Jackson a defensive coach.

They would still be a 55 win team without Curry. Green is more unique. Green is the only player in the entire NBA that does everything and plays defense. Also Green is the leader on their team.

Also it is Will, Heart, Desire that wins games. Bill used to say the easiest way to beat someone is to make them think they can't win. He would have an easy time of that with you.

Also the other thing about curry is he wouldn't be valuable at all if there was not three point shot. The only reason fans like him is because he cheats the game and just shoots three. Three is a lot more than two and is an unfair advantage to the game of basketball which the NBA has needed to change for many years.

Also there is no hand pushing anymore on the perimeter. So it's the rules that make curry decent. If you put him in the 70's he would just be another player.

Jayb587
05-13-2016, 11:02 AM
without curry, they would be a low 40 win team.
curry is the one that's creating opportunities for everyone else.

sorry, heart doesn't win you games.

Haha. Without curry they are still better then 80% of the league. They win 50 games and dray is an MVP candidate.

And heart doesn't win games? One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Scoots
05-13-2016, 12:08 PM
The beauty of it is, neither of them are replaceable.

Yep. And both are the best in the game right now in what they do best.

Curry would hurt more, but both are essential. Klay is critical too by the way.

blahblahyoutoo
05-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Also the other thing about curry is he wouldn't be valuable at all if there was not three point shot. The only reason fans like him is because he cheats the game and just shoots three. Three is a lot more than two and is an unfair advantage to the game of basketball which the NBA has needed to change for many years.

shaq wouldn't be valuable if it there were no dunks allowed. the only reason fans like him is because he barrels into defenders, lowers the shoulder, knocks them out of the way and dunks the ball.
a dunk is easier than a jump shot and an unfair advantage to the game of basketball for shorter guys, which the NBA has needed to change for many years.

blahblahyoutoo
05-13-2016, 01:08 PM
Haha. Without curry they are still better then 80% of the league. They win 50 games and dray is an MVP candidate.

And heart doesn't win games? One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

n-word plz, i could have all the heart in the world and no size/talent, but i'm not going to stop (offensive firepower) or score over (defensive juggernaut) because i haz heart.

Jayb587
05-13-2016, 01:10 PM
shaq wouldn't be valuable if it there were no dunks involved. the only reason fans like him is because he barrels into defenders, lowers the shoulder, knocks them out of the way and dunks the ball.
a dunk is easier than a jump shot and an unfair advantage to the game of basketball for shorter guys, which the NBA has needed to change for many years.

idk if it needed to change to appease small guys but they wanted more entertaining games for the casual public, and less physicality and that's what they got.

Jayb587
05-13-2016, 07:42 PM
n-word plz, i could have all the heart in the world and no size/talent, but i'm not going to stop (offensive firepower) or score over (defensive juggernaut) because i haz heart.

Except they all have talent so your point is mute. Someone like LMA who has more talent then dray is not better then dray because he lacks his heart, desire, and drive.

Dray has the best intangibles in the NBA.

JAZZNC
05-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Kinda funny to me that being a loud obnoxious punk on the court means he has more heart or desire than somebody like Kawhi or Curry. Just because he runs his mouth all the time doesn't mean he has more desire than any other player. Yes he plays hard but so does 75% of guys in the NBA.

blahblahyoutoo
05-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Except they all have talent so your point is mute. Someone like LMA who has more talent then dray is not better then dray because he lacks his heart, desire, and drive.

Dray has the best intangibles in the NBA.
orly? so everyone's talent level is equal in teh nbaz? inner resting theory.