PDA

View Full Version : Scott Skiles steps down as HC

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2016, 10:28 AM
May 12, 2016

ORLANDO – Scott Skiles has resigned as head coach of the Orlando Magic, General Manager Rob Hennigan announced today. The search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

“After much thought and careful consideration, I and I alone, have come to the conclusion that I am not the right head coach for this team,” said Skiles. “Therefore, effective immediately, I resign my position as head coach of the Orlando Magic. I realize this type of decision can cause much speculation. The reality though is in the first sentence. It is simple and true. Any other rumors are pure conjecture.”

“I sincerely apologize for any unintended consequences that may adversely affect anyone associated with this decision,” Skiles continued. “The Magic are a world-class organization that employs world-class people. I wish them nothing but great success. I will always be thankful, especially to the DeVos family, for the opportunity.”

“While we understand it was a challenging season, we reluctantly have accepted Scott’s (Skiles) resignation,” said Hennigan. “We appreciate Scott instilling a culture of accountability and certainly wish him and his family well.”

Skiles, 52, became the 12th head coach in Orlando Magic history on May 29, 2015. He has an overall NBA regular season record of 478-480 (.499) as head coach with Phoenix, Chicago, Milwaukee and Orlando. During his 14 seasons as a head coach, his teams have reached the NBA Playoffs six times.

During his first season with the Magic (2015-16), Orlando finished with a 35-47 record, which was a ten-game improvement from the 2014-15 campaign, the fifth-largest increase season-over-season in franchise history. The Magic went 9-6 during November, marking their first winning month since March 2012, then an Eastern Conference-best 10-5 during December. Skiles was named the NBA’s Eastern Conference Coach of the Month for December 2015, marking the fourth time he has won the monthly honor (Jan. 2005, Apr. 2006, Feb. 2010)..

effen5
05-12-2016, 10:34 AM
He did the same thing with the Bulls almost a decade ago.

I wonder what specific reason made him quit

DarkKnight
05-12-2016, 10:35 AM
I what one too

ManRam
05-12-2016, 10:36 AM
dwight preemptively ran a coach outta town! he's amazing!

Tony_Starks
05-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Must've heard Dwight is really coming back...

DarkKnight
05-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Must've heard Dwight is really coming back...

He heard and just started running

Crackadalic
05-12-2016, 10:48 AM
All Dwight jokes aside what's going on in Orlando that made him resign like that. It seems so sudden

effen5
05-12-2016, 11:02 AM
All Dwight jokes aside what's going on in Orlando that made him resign like that. It seems so sudden
No this happened in Chicago too where he suddenly quit before the holidays

JasonJohnHorn
05-12-2016, 11:05 AM
That's odd. I didn't watch any Magic games this season, but the number of wins increased, and the players seemed to improve based on stats.

He seemed like he was doing a good job, and he's always seemed like a good coach in the past. He's always gotten improvement out of his teams, but he's always been in tough situations where teams were on the decline, or stagnating because they were mid-level small market teams who couldn't do much to build through the draft, and struggled to sign free agents. I know that Bulls team took a huge dive his last season there, but when you look at that roster... there wasn't much to make you expect they would do well.

This just sounds weird to me.

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Hennigan and the front office backed (and still back) Elfrid Payton as the PG of the future. Skiles did not. But that's just 1 issue..

IndyRealist
05-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Not a big fan of Elfrid either

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Not a big fan of Elfrid either

He's Rondo without the Big 3 Tics n Doc to mask his shooting flaws. Shame BC shooting and Ft's is the only thing holding that kid back

ManRam
05-12-2016, 11:38 AM
He's right about Elfrid.

The Magic have a weird front office where the GM, the CEO and the owners all kinda jockey for a say. Throw in a coach who was promised some power and that's gonna be an issue. Skiles seemed like a CEO Alex Martins hire, and not a GM Rob Hennigan hire. By all accounts he clashed at times with Hennigan in terms of team direction. Skiles didn't really mesh with the young roster either, which probably could've been expected. He got a lot out of them (I'm a Magic fan who isn't in love with the talent on the roster) aside from that January slide. That January period sounds like when things got bad and he wanted out and Skiles has been unhappy since then; both with the players and the front office. He confided with Hennigan that he regretted taking the job. They've been prepping for the draft without Skiles, too. It sounds like there were some major disagreements with team direction between him and various people in the front office.

I'm sure more will trickle out but yeah. It just wasn't the right fit for all parties.

IndyRealist
05-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Is there thought whether the Harris trade has anything to do with this? If leaderships is backing Peyton then who traded for Jennings?

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Is there thought whether the Harris trade has anything to do with this? If leaderships is backing Peyton then who traded for Jennings?

smiles did that trade himself according to Brian Windhorst on sports center just now. In fact he wanted to move all of them lol. I guess he's responsible for the near Teague\Oladipo deal

5ass
05-12-2016, 12:32 PM
I'd back Elf over Skiles too, so good job Henny. I wonder who they hire now. I'm just disappointed that the team has to go through another coaching change. I hope it happens soon so everyone to get acclimated quicker.

ManRam
05-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Elfrid was the first name to pop up after the news broke, so people are chalking this up to a disagreement over him. I can't imagine a scenario where a coach steps down because of a disagreement over ONE player. That's just silly. It has to be a much bigger disconnect between his ideology and the front offices than just disagreeing over Elfrid Payton. I didn't hear Windhorst but that picture being painted by him makes much more sense and alludes to that. Huge and unfixable rifts don't grow this out of control because of Elfrid Payton.

Not wanting to coach young players, and even worse, wanting to trade all those young players...well...that seems like a non-repairable rift.

KG2TB
05-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Almost positive Skiles was fired with the Bulls.

Scoots
05-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Really hurts his chances of getting another gig, and I'm not sure he's wrong to want to change the way they play.

DboneG
05-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Elfrid Payton is decent. He need a 3pt. shot and better defense. Payton has a lot of up side. All sounds strange.

I guess if the front office isn't backing you on decisions and direction you want to go. It's time to move on.

Vincent
05-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Maybe the Magic just wanted to improve their chances for a higher pick...

Last time Skiles got fired...

Bulls - ended up getting Derrick Rose with the #1 overall
Bucks - ended up getting Jabari Parker with the #2 overall

:D

5ass
05-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Really hurts his chances of getting another gig, and I'm not sure he's wrong to want to change the way they play.

I dont think Skiles cares about another coaching job. i found it very annoying during his introduction interview when they asked him about his time inbetween jobs and he always responded with "i was happy, i have friends, blah blah blah". He just showed a lack of passion IMO. Like he wasnt truly dedicated to his team/craft. He had this I dont care if they fire me tomorrow attitude that i do not want from a head coach.

DoMeFavors
05-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Kevin McHale's job for the taking

IBleedPurple
05-12-2016, 02:19 PM
dwight preemptively ran a coach outta town! he's amazing!:laugh2:

Skiles seems like the type of guy that can perform a job well, but gets tired of a job pretty quick. A lot of us can relate. I've heard the disagreement rumors, but seems like there may be more to it on Skiles' end of it.

GiantsSwaGG
05-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Elfred Payton needs to cut his hair, I would quit too if I have to look at that everyday!

kobe4thewinbang
05-13-2016, 01:39 AM
That's odd. I didn't watch any Magic games this season, but the number of wins increased, and the players seemed to improve based on stats.

He seemed like he was doing a good job, and he's always seemed like a good coach in the past. He's always gotten improvement out of his teams, but he's always been in tough situations where teams were on the decline, or stagnating because they were mid-level small market teams who couldn't do much to build through the draft, and struggled to sign free agents. I know that Bulls team took a huge dive his last season there, but when you look at that roster... there wasn't much to make you expect they would do well.

This just sounds weird to me.Magic are an interesting team. Lots of young players that are almost 'there', e.g. Fournier, Oladipo obviously, Vucevic balling usually. I think Frank Vogel could really help that team do well in the east. The rumor that Skiles (a .500 coach, if that) wanted to trade the young prospects (when the team is full of them) is insane, even for someone like Teague.

Let's see if they land Jimmy Butler. They could make some noise.

AllBall
05-13-2016, 07:11 AM
Boy, that escalated quickly...I mean that really got out of hand fast!

kingsdelez24
05-13-2016, 01:28 PM

Almost positive Skiles was fired with the Bulls.

He got fired by the Bulls either on Christmas or Thanksgiving. He resigned from the Bucks a couple of years ago, for probably the same reasons as now

KG2TB
05-13-2016, 03:22 PM
He got fired by the Bulls either on Christmas or Thanksgiving. He resigned from the Bucks a couple of years ago, for probably the same reasons as now

Bulls waited until Xmas or like a day or two before to fire him.