PDA

View Full Version : How would a Spurs championship effect Duncan's legacy if he keeps playing like this?

KnicksorBust
05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
He's basically a 6ppg/6rpg player at this point. That might even be generous. He's 6th on the team in minutes played in the Thunder series. I'm a huge believer that championships gravitate toward the truly greatest players. It's no accident to see MJ with 6, Magic with 5, Shaq with 4, etc. But Duncan is nowhere close to the player he was and is simply a role player at this point. Personally I rank him #4 all-time behind MJ/Kareem/Magic but I can safely say he's universally accepted as top 10. It was his 5th championship that justified to me the move into the top 5. However I'm not sure his defense and teamwork are even up to par with say D-Rob in 99. For me, a 6th ring as a role player would improve his career legacy to pass Magic. Would the Spurs winning the title change any of your rankings?

HandsOnTheWheel
05-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Probably moves into the top 3 all time. When people look back and see that Duncan won 6 championships(or possibly more), they'll think of Finals MVP Duncan winning in '99 and the 00's and not a 40 year old Timmy in his waning stretch.

Chronz
05-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Ive decided to have a legacy ranking and an actual ability/impact ranking.

Legacy ranking works like an rpg system in which every win adds to your XP (Legacy) and longevity matters more here.

My Impact ranking cares more about who was the actual best player for their peak runs. In such a system, this ring does nothing and rings in general become less important once you get past the initial one and even then, no amount of titles will make me rank Hondo/Pippen/Hayes ahead of the best at their position that failed to win.

I basically did this to come to grips with the fact that Duncan has had the better career than Shaq while never once reaching his dominance.

KnicksorBust
05-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Probably moves into the top 3 all time. When people look back and see that Duncan won 6 championships(or possibly more), they'll think of Finals MVP Duncan winning in '99 and the 00's and not a 40 year old Timmy in his waning stretch.

MJ/Kareem/Duncan?

Ive decided to have a legacy ranking and an actual ability/impact ranking.

Legacy ranking works like an rpg system in which every win adds to your XP (Legacy) and longevity matters more here.

My Impact ranking cares more about who was the actual best player for their peak runs. In such a system, this ring does nothing and rings in general become less important once you get past the initial one and even then, no amount of titles will make me rank Hondo/Pippen/Hayes ahead of the best at their position that failed to win.

I basically did this to come to grips with the fact that Duncan has had the better career than Shaq while never once reaching his dominance.

Where do you have him on your "legacy" ranking now? Where would you have him if he got his 6th ring?

Tony_Starks
05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Never had him over Shaq to begin with, another ring playing as a honorary member won't change much for me.

Still be in 6,7 range. His legacy has been set.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-10-2016, 03:25 PM
MJ/Kareem/Duncan?

My top Five would look something like:
1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Duncan/Magic
4. Lebron
5. Wilt/Bird/Shaq

mngopher35
05-10-2016, 03:30 PM
I have Duncan #4 or maybe 5 right now (sometimes Shaq takes over this spot, really close between them). This ring would do basically nothing in terms of where I rank him though because I have long held it is a team accomplishment that is overvalued for individuals. His impact on the way to that accomplishment is what's important to me and it doesn't seem to be very high this year.

WaDe03
05-10-2016, 03:41 PM
People say Wades 2 rings with LeBron don't count because he only averaged 20-5-5 in the 2013 finals and eve better than that in 2012. If people say this ring would increase his legacy I'll just have to laugh at the people contradicting themselves.

D-Leethal
05-10-2016, 03:48 PM
He will get credit for having 6 regardless, don't think people will really remember how little he impacted this one if they win it. I think it will enhance the Spurs prestige, the way they reinvented themselves AGAIN to become a title contender with "the big 3" all taking backseats to Kawhi and LMA.

smith&wesson
05-10-2016, 04:28 PM
6 championships with one team that he basically turned in to a dynasty has to mean something.

hes in my top 5 for sure. Greatest pf of all time hands down.

smith&wesson
05-10-2016, 04:32 PM
People say Wades 2 rings with LeBron don't count because he only averaged 20-5-5 in the 2013 finals and eve better than that in 2012. If people say this ring would increase his legacy I'll just have to laugh at the people contradicting themselves.

you cant take any credit away from Dwade and his 3 rings. its something he earned and it doesn't matter what peoples opinions are on it.

Basketball is a team sport last I checked. Yeah you can award an MVP to a player, that doesn't discredit the rest of the players on that team. Look at the GSW their best player and MVP is out of the line up and they are still winning. How do you discredit the rest of the players on that team ?

KnicksorBust
05-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Never had him over Shaq to begin with, another ring playing as a honorary member won't change much for me.

Still be in 6,7 range. His legacy has been set.

Top 5?

KnicksorBust
05-10-2016, 04:43 PM
1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Duncan/Magic
4. Lebron
5. Wilt/Bird/Shaq

Why no Kobe?

I have Duncan #4 or maybe 5 right now (sometimes Shaq takes over this spot, really close between them). This ring would do basically nothing in terms of where I rank him though because I have long held it is a team accomplishment that is overvalued for individuals. His impact on the way to that accomplishment is what's important to me and it doesn't seem to be very high this year.

Does Duncan get any credit for LMA?

KnicksorBust
05-10-2016, 04:46 PM
1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Duncan/Magic
4. Lebron
5. Wilt/Bird/Shaq

He will get credit for having 6 regardless, don't think people will really remember how little he impacted this one if they win it. I think it will enhance the Spurs prestige, the way they reinvented themselves AGAIN to become a title contender with "the big 3" all taking backseats to Kawhi and LMA.

It's interesting to compare season to Kobe's... how many superstars give up their spot to someone like LMA so easily? He is still on the bench cheering the team.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Why no Kobe?

Kobe could be top 5. Either way, ive got him behind Shaq.

mngopher35
05-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Does Duncan get any credit for LMA?

Not really enough to impact my rankings at all. He took less money to allow LMA signing but based on his production it was pretty deserved (although not everyone does that). In a way Duncan being a high IQ vet who can teach him some things helps but really I would give pop more credit for what LA becomes on the Spurs than Duncan. I mean it is great that Spurs have the Duncan/Parker/Ginobli trio who took fair money and have accepted lesser roles but credit for actually producing goes to Khawi and LMA still for the most part.

WaDe03
05-10-2016, 05:14 PM
you cant take any credit away from Dwade and his 3 rings. its something he earned and it doesn't matter what peoples opinions are on it.

Basketball is a team sport last I checked. Yeah you can award an MVP to a player, that doesn't discredit the rest of the players on that team. Look at the GSW their best player and MVP is out of the line up and they are still winning. How do you discredit the rest of the players on that team ?

Exactly.

LA_Raiders
05-11-2016, 12:56 AM
If They win, he is definitely a top 5 all time. 6 rings would be amazing for him. At this moment he is a top 10.

Jayb587
05-11-2016, 01:25 AM
Even if they somehow beat okc they won't beat GSW. So we dont even have to worry about it.

GoferKing_
05-11-2016, 05:31 AM
Does not matter if Spurs win or not. Duncan is a legend and top player all time.

Sportsguy9695
05-11-2016, 06:36 AM
I would say he moves into top 3 or 5 of al time with a title. going out with a title would be a hell of a way to go out

Sportsguy9695
05-11-2016, 06:36 AM
Does not matter if Spurs win or not. Duncan is a legend and top player all time.

i agree but a championship would be a cherry on top

Tony_Starks
05-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Top 5?

6 for me, behind Kobe and Shaq.

likemystylez
05-11-2016, 09:22 AM
Not sure why it matters, it isnt like duncan is carrying this spurs team to a championship. hes more or less along for the ride at this point. hes scoring like 4-5 ppg and 4-5 rebounds per game shooting around 40%. Thats worse than robert horry averaged during his 7 championships.... and I dont put horry int he top 3 or 5 players of all time

JasonJohnHorn
05-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Duncan's play this season has been solid. This post season it has been a little off.

He average 8/7 during the reg season, and 12/10 per36, so he was maing a significant and important contribution to the team winning.

The playoffs its 4/4, and this series has been really bad for him. I mean, Duncan shooting under .400? Never heard of that.

That said... if they win it this year, which isn't looking likely now, it would depend more on how he played throughout the playoffs. Maybe in the finals he goes in and averages 8/8, or even 10/10. Contributes what he was contributing during the regular season. Everything is good. He's get credit. Racks up his 6th title.

It's be good for him, for sure. But I don't think it'd impact his legacy that much, or at least not his overall ranking. That is solidified already. Unless he suddenly pours in a 20/12 finals performance and wins an MVP.

It'd be like Walton winning with the Celtics.

This would be more of cred added to Pop's resume and Leonard's.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2016, 09:51 AM
It has some impact on his legacy because how many rings a guy has always gets tossed out there. But it doesn't really impact the type of player he was for his career either way. So I'd say a marginal impact just for the number he gets next to his name but not much.

Chronz
05-11-2016, 12:25 PM
NBA Champion Gary Payton would like to write a book on how winning gets done

HandsOnTheWheel
05-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Big difference between Duncan getting a 6th chip and Payton getting his 1st.

Edit: I'm assuming you're referring to meaningless rings.

Chronz
05-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Where do you have him on your "legacy" ranking now? Where would you have him if he got his 6th ring?
Hes essentially our KAJ, only arguably more important to his teams titles overall, this while simultaneously being a worse player throughout his peak, it just so happens KAJ spent his best days on non-titlists while Duncan has those inhuman chip runs.

So I put him in that tier with KAJ as far as careers go and KAJ has arguably the GOAT resume if not for him not winning enough as the lead guy. Poor guy, has to win an absurd amount of titles to be considered better then MJ given the circumstances.

So hes like the 2nd or 3rd best player ever if you're really into longevity and winning.

Chronz
05-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Big difference between Duncan getting a 6th chip and Payton getting his 1st.

Agreed, just like there a big difference between GP being a champion and Stockton being a loser. Right?

HandsOnTheWheel
05-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Agreed, just like there a big difference between GP being a champion and Stockton being a loser. Right?

Don't know what that has to do with my reference but no there's not a big difference at all between Stockton and Payton.

Catfish1314
05-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Well nothing he does on the court at his point could hurt his legacy IMO. He's 40 years old. He could void his bowels at midcourt and still be a fringe top fiver all time.

To answer your question though, I don't think a sixth title in a supporting role changes his legacy that much. The Spurs are not his team anymore and I agree with you that fifth title was a work of beauty that cemented his legacy as a top ten all-time player and borderline top five at that.

In answering that question, we're pretending the Spurs could actually win the title with he and Ginobili playing this way. They can't. Just to get out of the West, they'll both have to step their games up.

Chronz
05-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Don't know what that has to do with my reference but no there's not a big difference at all between Stockton and Payton.

Its the difference between being a champion and being a loser. Thats an undisclosed difference right there