PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Jonas Valanciunas

ImOnFire12
05-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Not sure if you guys are keeping up with the raptors - heat series but Jonas has definitely looked like the raps best player by far this post season averaging 16 and 12 without getting barely any touches which is baffling while Demar and Lowry chuck away. Its sucks now that he's out of the series, he's basically the reason why the raps are playing the heat in the second round. He's a pretty valuable center hitting nearly 80% of his free throws, rebounds really well especially on the offensive side, alters shots, decent mid range and post up game and is only 24 years old. Do you consider him a top 10 center in the league today or a future all star?

5ass
05-09-2016, 07:34 PM
No i dont consider him top 10. I think there are 10 centers clearly better than him. Maybe just outside the top 10, but once you get outside the top 10 they're all pretty close. Future all star? again no. I see him as being a solid starter, nothing more. He's just not great at anything.

I admit i dont like this raptors team and i dont really enjoy watching them play, so i havent seen too much of valanciunas. From what i've seen though, i think he doesnt get touches because he cant pass. Feed him the ball consistently, and it'll become a lot more apparent.

numba1CHANGsta
05-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Well he's def the most talented of the Jonas brother

TrueFan420
05-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Well he's def the most talented of the Jonas brother

Lol

TrueFan420
05-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Idk about top 10 but I think the raptors would be wise to play through him in the high post more often. He's a good passer and can hit cutters.

R. Johnson#3
05-09-2016, 08:27 PM
He's awesome. Definitely showed an improvement in his defense this post-season as well. Offensively he's pretty much automatic if he's 1 on 1 in the post. He has an incredible touch around the rim too. He's only going to get better.

IndyRealist
05-09-2016, 08:37 PM
He's played against two very slow teams so far. Against a faster team I dunno that the Raptors can control the pace well enough to keep JV in the game.

Jamiecballer
05-09-2016, 08:43 PM
The answer to your 2 questions yes and yes

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

LanceUpperCut
05-09-2016, 08:49 PM
He's not great at anything other then FT shooting as a big but he's pretty good at everything. He will always be underrated in my eyes because people like flash and he doesn't give that. He's young plays a 100% all the time just lacks athleticism to be a top C but as for too 10 hell yeah he can be. Probably is right now.

zn23
05-10-2016, 01:05 AM
Yes to both. You'll witness his full potential once Derozan leaves and Casey is forced to draw up plays for him.

There are only three centers I would take over Valanciunas: KAT, Demarcus Cousins and possibly Al Horford.

WaDe03
05-10-2016, 01:51 AM
Al Horford is so overrated. He averaged 3.5 rebounds as a center in the Cavs series.

Wade n Fade
05-10-2016, 01:59 AM
J-Val is under appreciated while having tremendous potential. He is going to be a major piece if the Raptors try for a Cousins deal.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
05-10-2016, 02:11 AM
I think hes in the 7-14/15 range now. Depending on who is ranking them and what things they favor out of their center. That's why I put 7-14. I personally think he's top 10. The centers that I would take over him right now are Drummond, KAT, B. Lopez, M. Gasol, Cousins
The maybe take over him are P. Gasol, Monroe, Okafor, Whiteside, Horford, Jordan, Howard, Gobert, Duncan, Embiid (if he ever gets healthy)
I could move Drummond, Lopez, and maybe Cousins to the maybe list. While possibly moving Duncan, Okafor, Whiteside ahead of him
My list are factoring in not only their play/stats this year, but also potential as well. Overall it's really hard to rank the top guys in the league when going off stats and potential because things could play out so many different way. I'll just end with that I believe he is a top 5-8 maybe 9 center in the league and has a good chance at moving up the list if he ever becomes the 1st option rather than a 3rd/4th option behind Lowry and Derozan and possibly Carroll

ROY 2 MVP Braun
05-10-2016, 02:12 AM
Al Horford is so overrated. He averaged 3.5 rebounds as a center in the Cavs series.
Wow that is horrible. Even if they say he is a PF playing C. He should have been able to pull 5 a game down in his sleep in that series.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
05-10-2016, 02:18 AM
J-Val is under appreciated while having tremendous potential. He is going to be a major piece if the Raptors try for a Cousins deal.

I think they are better off keeping JV than trading for Cousins. I think it will cost them to much to trade for DC and end up making them take a step back instead of forward.

I honestly think they're better off trying to resign DD this offseason and than look into moving him for a 2 and upgrade over what they have at the 4.

I'm not saying this is a realistic trade for them but rather saying that they should do something along these lines. DD and a first or 2 for Oladipo and Gordon. Something where they get at least 1 if not 2 young guys that can fit in with Lowry, Carroll, and JV, but also still have room to improve. Or they could look to let DD walk rather than giving him max and look to sign a 2 to replace him and a upgrade ay the 4. I think that those are the better options rather than trading for cousins.

NYKalltheway
05-10-2016, 04:19 AM
No i dont consider him top 10. I think there are 10 centers clearly better than him.
can you name them?

teeko
05-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Id put him at about 9 behind In no order, cousins, drummond, gasol, Jordan, howard, whiteside, Towns, Davis, .......Vucevic isnt far behind

ghettosean
05-10-2016, 08:20 AM
can you name them?

LOL... This should be entertaining.

DboneG
05-10-2016, 08:49 AM
He's good! You can see he was getting the best of Whiteside before the two of them went down. He exploited a flaw in Whiteside's game...one-on-one defense. Jonas Valanciuous is pretty decent on pick/roll defense also. So, he's a keeper! Like a previous poster said. He'll be a good part of a package in the DMC sweepstakes.

Raptors need another scorer/go-to guy that can make a big shot bad!

DboneG
05-10-2016, 09:13 AM
I'd take Jonas Valanciunas over Pau Gasol all day! Pau has zero defense, horrible on pick/roll defense, and help out defense.

I'd almost take him over the two studs Andre Drummond and DeAndre Jordan. Because these guys can't hit free throws. It's becoming a factor.

Cousins...is better
Towns...is better
Davis...is better
Howard...is better, but, Jonas is closing the gap. I still think Howard can carry a team. Jonas has yet to show this. He have a problem with free throws.
Jordan..is better, but he have a flaw in his game. Free throws. So, you can have him. I'd take a guy that won't affect my strategy late in the game.
Drummond...is better, but, he have a flaw in his game. Free throws. I don't want him on my team for this reason.
Whiteside...about even talent, Whiteside is more athletic. But, Jonas can get him one-on-one. Jonas has a better inside shot than Whiteside. Whiteside don't even have a inside game. He get baskets by hitting the boards, hustling on the break, and alley-opps.

smith&wesson
05-10-2016, 10:39 AM
No i dont consider him top 10. I think there are 10 centers clearly better than him. Maybe just outside the top 10, but once you get outside the top 10 they're all pretty close. Future all star? again no. I see him as being a solid starter, nothing more. He's just not great at anything.

I admit i dont like this raptors team and i dont really enjoy watching them play, so i havent seen too much of valanciunas. From what i've seen though, i think he doesnt get touches because he cant pass. Feed him the ball consistently, and it'll become a lot more apparent.

then how can you say there's 10 C's clearly better than him if you don't watch him play ? id like to see what your top 10 list looks like for C's

smith&wesson
05-10-2016, 10:43 AM
I'd take Jonas Valanciunas over Pau Gasol all day! Pau has zero defense, horrible on pick/roll defense, and help out defense.

I'd almost take him over the two studs Andre Drummond and DeAndre Jordan. Because these guys can't hit free throws. It's becoming a factor.

Cousins...is better
Towns...is better
Davis...is better
Howard...is better, but, Jonas is closing the gap. I still think Howard can carry a team. Jonas has yet to show this. He have a problem with free throws.
Jordan..is better, but he have a flaw in his game. Free throws. So, you can have him. I'd take a guy that won't affect my strategy late in the game.
Drummond...is better, but, he have a flaw in his game. Free throws. I don't want him on my team for this reason.
Whiteside...about even talent, Whiteside is more athletic. But, Jonas can get him one-on-one. Jonas has a better inside shot than Whiteside. Whiteside don't even have a inside game. He get baskets by hitting the boards, hustling on the break, and alley-opps.

isn't Davis a 4?

Jonas is better than Howard. Not prime Howard in Orlando, but Howard from the Lakers, and Rockets ? yeah Im taking Jonas.

canzano55
05-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Jonas is probably the most underrated big man in the NBA right now.

Worse than Deandre and Howard?? Lol get the **** outta here.

DboneG
05-10-2016, 02:12 PM
isn't Davis a 4?

Jonas is better than Howard. Not prime Howard in Orlando, but Howard from the Lakers, and Rockets ? yeah Im taking Jonas.

Right...Davis is a 4. Jonas is better than Howard? That's a tough one for me. It's tough for me to pick Jonas over Drummond or Jordan also. The reason I would choose him over these two guys is free throw shooting.

teeko
05-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Davis is listed as a forward-center on the pelicans roster. and Marc Gasol not Pau,

bucketss
05-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Lol jonas is better than whiteside he made whitsisde his son before getting injured.

5ass
05-10-2016, 06:11 PM
can you name them?

Cousins, Towns, Drummond, Jordan, whiteside, Gobert, howard, Gasol, Gasol, Lopez, Vucevic, Horford. I'll take every one of those over Jonas, but feel free to remove two players. Few others that are a maybe at this point.