PDA

View Full Version : NBA's post-game officiating reviews: Good or bad?

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2016, 05:22 PM
I understand the spirit of this review. I think it is important to have it to highlight where mistakes are made to avoid them in future.

To release them afterwards, however, is problematic. For instance, after Harden hit that game-winning shot against the Warriors, the NBA came out and said it should not have counted. No big deal. The Warriors are simply attributed with a 5-game sweep. However, had that been a game-seven, or what's more, the game-seven of the NBA finals, that would be a huge difference. It would essentially negate the accomplishment of that team and taint their title. They would forever have an asterisk beside their name.

Do you think releasing this information is good or bad for the game?

ManRam
05-09-2016, 05:33 PM
bad calls are a part of the game and i don't think the league acknowledging obviously bad calls would "negate" any sort of result any more than it otherwise would.

it's good. admitting issues, holding refs more accountable and being more transparent is never bad.

Hawkeye15
05-09-2016, 05:43 PM
bad calls are a part of the game and i don't think the league acknowledging obviously bad calls would "negate" any sort of result any more than it otherwise would.

it's good. admitting issues, holding refs more accountable and being more transparent is never bad.

yeah, that is the truth. You can never fix human errors, but this will give viewers even more insight into the process of evaluating officials, and learning some of the ways they use their grading system.

Scoots
05-09-2016, 06:47 PM
It's good in that it keeps people talking about the game.

It's bad in that it highlights and confirms the errors of the refs and people who are more casual viewers are now being told regularly that the refs suck.

I think they should do a much better job of explaining what the refs are looking at in each situation so they can explain why some of the errors happen.

TrueFan420
05-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Can it be both good and bad...

CHANGO
05-09-2016, 11:46 PM
It's neither good or bad. I think it's stupid.

Nothing is changing, the outcome isn't changing, so, if you want to hold refs accountable do it in private and stop with those bs reports.

kdspurman
05-11-2016, 11:33 AM
they're annoying when it seems super obvious during the game. like, no ****, how did you miss it the first time.

coaches challenges would help in certain situations. I hope that's something they look into in the near future, cause there's no way for officials to be questioned once they blow their whistle.

ewing
05-11-2016, 11:39 AM
its stupid and nothing but click bait.

Scoots
05-11-2016, 02:22 PM
its stupid and nothing but click bait.

That's what the NBA has learned from the NFL. Just have as many "stories" as you can have, and try to have it be all year. They can look at the press release and see how many tweets it generates and call that part of their market penetration matrix.

The NBA is down to about 3 weeks off a year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they move all the awards later in the year, move the draft further back, and eliminate all of the "offseason" time when there isn't any NBA stuff happening.

Hardaway Here
05-11-2016, 06:01 PM
The reviews are pointless. Doesn't do anything to help the ones that were on the other end of a bad or missed call. It's like they just want to rub it in. "Oh you could've had a chance if only we got this right, oh well deal with it."