PDA

View Full Version : Would you give Whiteside a max contract?

HandsOnTheWheel
05-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Opinions?

More-Than-Most
05-06-2016, 07:06 PM
No but he will get it considering how much value size has.... Also an abundance of players that get the max now just arent worth it but he is worth it more so than many of the guys this past off season that were over paid and will likely be worth it more so than the majority of the guys this off season as well... He defends and rebounds and that has amazing value... Howard would get the max as well... I think Howard is still much better but he is a Diva and cries way to much.... If I am a young team who wont contend Id stay far away from Whiteside because his talents will be wasted on a team without talent around him and it will expose him... If I am a contender who needs to get over the hump I throw the max at him.

kdspurman
05-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Nope

bucketss
05-06-2016, 07:52 PM
i feel sorry for the team that does but some team probably will.

likemystylez
05-06-2016, 08:08 PM
yep.....if my team had the need. whiteside has the ability to impact the game to the extent he is worth a max deal in todays financial environment around the league.

Scoots
05-06-2016, 08:16 PM
No, unless the ONLY thing my team needed to challenge for a title was a shot blocking/rebounding C while knowing that he is not a great man defender or ball mover and may be a bit mentally fragile.

numba1CHANGsta
05-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Nope, he'll never crack averaging 20pts a game, heck he may not even crack 15 pts a game.

likemystylez
05-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Nope, he'll never crack averaging 20pts a game, heck he may not even crack 15 pts a game.

ironically- most teams would take him over james harden

but yeah just look at points per game, not his impact on the teams chance of winning

likemystylez
05-06-2016, 08:25 PM
No, unless the ONLY thing my team needed to challenge for a title was a shot blocking/rebounding C while knowing that he is not a great man defender or ball mover and may be a bit mentally fragile.

he gets a max deal because of his skill set at his position. has age on his side too.

Saddletramp
05-06-2016, 08:26 PM

There's more to basketball than just scoring a bunch of points. Not surprising coming from a Kobe fan.

5ass
05-06-2016, 08:38 PM
I wouldnt be mad if the Magic signed him to a max TBH. They have more than enough capspace for 2 Whiteside-type contracts. Get him and a few good vets (Horford, Noah), trade Vucevic for something good. There's a few teams with A LOT of money. I think the Celtics could try to sign him too. He'd be a good fit there. Deandre Jordan got a max, Drummond will get a max, and its most likely so will Whiteside.

jerellh528
05-06-2016, 08:39 PM
There's more to basketball than just scoring a bunch of points. Not surprising coming from a Kobe fan.

Well scoring is the most important part of the game. And he's got a point. A max contract should at least be able to be a first or second at worst option on a team. There's more to the game than scoring, but there's sure as hell more to the game than blocks per game

5ass
05-06-2016, 08:40 PM
No but he will get it considering how much value size has.... Also an abundance of players that get the max now just arent worth it but he is worth it more so than many of the guys this past off season that were over paid and will likely be worth it more so than the majority of the guys this off season as well... He defends and rebounds and that has amazing value... Howard would get the max as well... I think Howard is still much better but he is a Diva and cries way to much.... If I am a young team who wont contend Id stay far away from Whiteside because his talents will be wasted on a team without talent around him and it will expose him... If I am a contender who needs to get over the hump I throw the max at him.
I doubt Howard gets a max. His max is like 33 mill/yr, not like Whiteside's (23 mill? I think). No GM is that dumb. He'll get overpaid though.

Scoots
05-06-2016, 09:06 PM
he gets a max deal because of his skill set at his position. has age on his side too.

The question is not is he going to get the max but would I give it to him, and the answer is yes on some condition.

Scoots
05-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Well scoring is the most important part of the game. And he's got a point. A max contract should at least be able to be a first or second at worst option on a team.

Yeah, like Draymond Green. His real value is in putting the ball through the basket.

That punk Bill Russell only averaged a measly 15 ppg. What a waste of space.

FOXHOUND
05-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Based on ability/age? Yes.

Based on the risk that he pulls a Lance Stephenson and becomes a lazy a-hole once he gets paid? Nope. He has been tremendous since the All-Star break but I didn't lose memory of the player from the first half who was selfish and stat padding.

numba1CHANGsta
05-06-2016, 10:15 PM

LOL and what does this have to do with Kobe? And by the way Kobe scoring a bunch of points got him 5 rings so your attempt of being a troll failed, sorry bruh

jerellh528
05-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Yeah, like Draymond Green. His real value is in putting the ball through the basket.

Nice straw man

likemystylez
05-06-2016, 11:13 PM
LOL and what does this have to do with Kobe? And by the way Kobe scoring a bunch of points got him 5 rings so your attempt of being a troll failed, sorry bruh

kobe got 3 of his rings from being on the same team as shaq. Infact in the finals against the pacers- kobe was outperformed by austin croshere.

naps
05-06-2016, 11:14 PM

As long as you lead the league in shot attempts and sign 3 year 90 mill and 2 year 50 mill deals on your last legs and keep stars away from joining your team, you should be good. That's the most important way of playing basketball.

naps
05-06-2016, 11:18 PM
I would not pay him the max. Does he have the talent to get the max? Absolutely. Does he have the perfect team first mentality? NO. I dont want him in Miami if it costs anything near a max deal.

FOXHOUND
05-06-2016, 11:49 PM

Kobe is one of the best all around players in NBA history...

I swear, the things some people say lol.

Saddletramp
05-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Nvrmnd. Even I see that I'm kinda being a jerk here for no reason.

Dade County
05-07-2016, 12:32 AM
HEAT will get him to sign for near max money, & I see nothing wrong with that.

#TrustInPat

naps
05-07-2016, 01:00 AM
HEAT will get him to sign for near max money, & I see nothing wrong with that.

#TrustInPat

Dude what's next on the script? No more "AD leads to KD"? Also why do you think Adam Silver still holding Bosh back and when do you expect him to enter the scene?

GoferKing_
05-07-2016, 07:06 AM
Today every other player wants a max deal.........

warfelg
05-07-2016, 07:42 AM
I would not pay him the max. Does he have the talent to get the max? Absolutely. Does he have the perfect team first mentality? NO. I dont want him in Miami if it costs anything near a max deal.

Yea, I wouldn't give him the max because I've heard a ton of things on how mentally fragile he is and all the tricks that Spols has to use to get HW to perform.

Playing on team with established stars and coaches to play those head games and keep him in check is what HW needs.

Kush McDaniels
05-07-2016, 07:52 AM
nope.

Those Omer Asik and Mozgov contracts don't look so great either. Some team will pay the heavy price though.

R. Johnson#3
05-07-2016, 07:59 AM
I would give Tristan Thompson the max before I give it to Whiteside and I don't think Thompson deserves the max either. It's mind boggling how such a great shot blocker can be so horrible in every other aspect of playing defence.

DboneG
05-07-2016, 08:32 AM
This is a tough one. Very good young talent..but, his free throw shooting makes me cringe. His offensive game is not where it should be. Trust me, his "O" will get better. Then, he's had some mental blow outs. Soooo.

If I were the Knicks or somebody like that..I'd throw the money at him.

TRIUMPHATOR
05-07-2016, 09:29 AM

Every other? You mean every single player.

Whiteside is not a max player and neither is DD in regards to the other thread. Why are people even trying to defend these players as max players? There are a handful of max players in the league and even some of them are in the latter stage of their career.

Buyer beware.

ManningToTyree
05-07-2016, 11:13 AM
No he doesn't have that level of impact on a team

Scoots
05-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Nice straw man

Either scoring is the main way to grade the value of a player or it isn't. I gave examples that clearly prove scoring is not the main value in a basketball player.

Scoots
05-07-2016, 12:10 PM

I'm not even a player and I want a max deal!

Scoots
05-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Every other? You mean every single player.

Whiteside is not a max player and neither is DD in regards to the other thread. Why are people even trying to defend these players as max players? There are a handful of max players in the league and even some of them are in the latter stage of their career.

Buyer beware.

Unfortunately that is not the way the max contract is defined in the CBA. The CBA was written so a team could have multiple max players on the team. The money the lesser max contract players are getting is coming from the players you are talking about. If there was no cap and no max LeBron would get $100M a year. It's not that these players are overpaid, it's that the superstars are underpaid. There is a LOT of money to go around, the max contract just makes it a little more appealing to us mere mortals.

blahblahyoutoo
05-07-2016, 12:22 PM
i like his role on our team (rebound and block shots, doesn't ask for the ball on O) but he's not a max guy.

nycericanguy
05-07-2016, 12:28 PM
i dont like whitesides game... he seems to have very little actual basketball skills. no offensive game either.

he's a beastly physical specimen though... but very little actual skill. i wouldnt trust him late in games from what ive seen.

Dade County
05-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Dude what's next on the script?

Does this have anything to do with this tread topic? Did I write anything in this thread topic stating NBA=Entertainment?

No more "AD leads to KD"?

I hope so, I know other teams would love to grab AD in a trade, to entice KD to sign with them this offseason. But once again, why ask this question in this thread topic?

Also why do you think Adam Silver still holding Bosh back and when do you expect him to enter the scene?

Like I wrote in the Bosh thread, his sacrifice is too much.

jerellh528
05-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Either scoring is the main way to grade the value of a player or it isn't. I gave examples that clearly prove scoring is not the main value in a basketball player.

Main value of a player and most important aspect of the game are two different things.

Scoots
05-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Main value of a player and most important aspect of the game are two different things.

Meh. Scoring is over-valued, the rest of the game is undervalued.

ewing
05-07-2016, 01:58 PM
let see him have a big end to the series and big conf finals so everyone's opinion on him can flip for 10 time this season.

Scoots
05-07-2016, 02:35 PM
let see him have a big end to the series and big conf finals so everyone's opinion on him can flip for 10 time this season.

Whiteside is a big athletic C who hunts shot blocks and boards and little else ... has that ever changed? I know he got better at his job, but he still is very limited offensively, won't pass, and isn't a good man post defender.

naps
05-07-2016, 02:55 PM
This is a tough one. Very good young talent..but, his free throw shooting makes me cringe. His offensive game is not where it should be. Trust me, his "O" will get better. Then, he's had some mental blow outs. Soooo.

If I were the Knicks or somebody like that..I'd throw the money at him.

Clearly you dont watch him play. He's become one of the best free throw shooters among the bigs. He became so good at it that teams dont hack him anymore. He can actually stay on the floor in crunch time unlike many other so called elite bigs. Truth is his free throw shooting will be one of triggers of him getting max type of money along with his shot blocking.

naps
05-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Does this have anything to do with this tread topic? Did I write anything in this thread topic stating NBA=Entertainment?

I hope so, I know other teams would love to grab AD in a trade, to entice KD to sign with them this offseason. But once again, why ask this question in this thread topic?

Like I wrote in the Bosh thread, his sacrifice is too much.

I was messing with you man.

Dade County
05-07-2016, 04:00 PM
I was messing with you man.

sorry... no prob

Redrum187
05-07-2016, 05:31 PM
He doesn't pass well, he doesn't have a ton of post moves, he is mediocre man-to-man defensively, but he is a good help defender and a great rebounder.

I can easily see teams giving him the max. Would I? Hell no.

nycericanguy
05-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Clearly you dont watch him play. He's become one of the best free throw shooters among the bigs. He became so good at it that teams dont hack him anymore. He can actually stay on the floor in crunch time unlike many other so called elite bigs. Truth is his free throw shooting will be one of triggers of him getting max type of money along with his shot blocking.

he's shooting 59% FT in the playoffs, lets not get carried away calling him one of the best FT shooting bigs in the game...lol. He finished the season strong at the line, but overall he's always been poor at the FT line. Shaq used to have some good stretches at the line also. Time will tell if he's going to be consistently good, but so far in the playoffs he's been back to being awful.

JAZZNC
05-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Absolutely not.

koreancabbage
05-08-2016, 12:10 PM
some dumb GM will give him the max because that is what separates the good GMs from bad GMs.

If San Antonio had room to sign Whiteside to the max, they wouldn't because he doesn't have good character and he's overly not skillful enough to leave him in during crunch time. I don't even think GSW would sign Whiteside to the max if they had room.

It's all about amassing decent 2 way players (stars or role players).

and good thing for mediocre players, because there are a lot of bad GMs out there in the league who give mediocre players large contracts.

ewing
05-08-2016, 12:31 PM
absolutely. He is a game changer and I have never seen a guy with "bad character" improve this much this quickly. People just like to hate on this guy

MonroeFAN
05-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Some of the reasoning here is so novice, who gives a **** if he will average over 20PPG. Whiteside is a max player on his worst day.

Slug3
05-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Some of the reasoning here is so novice, who gives a **** if he will average over 20PPG. Whiteside is a max player on his worst day.

As a Heat fan I don't think he is. I think 8-12 million a year is where he should be and I will be upset if we do decide to resign him to a max or close to max deal. If Bosh is and stays healthy Id rather go with him as we have played better D with Bosh over whiteside. Whiteside can grab rebounds and block shots. But cannot step out on the pick n roll, can play one on one D, has no post moves, does not move the ball and though he is shooting better he still is not a great FT shooter. He has gotten a lot better, but I personally feel someone making 18-20 million a year needs to impact a game day in and day out and Whiteside does not do that at this moment. Could he in the future? Maybe, but does not now.

MonroeFAN
05-09-2016, 12:14 PM
8-12 million a year?

He was worth 8-12 million a year 10 seasons ago. I respect that you watch him all the time, so I'm sure there's something I don't know. But that's likely to be the cost of a great back up center. Is that what we're suggesting is his value?

Scoots
05-09-2016, 12:17 PM
8-12 million a year?

He was worth 8-12 million a year 10 seasons ago. I respect that you watch him all the time, so I'm sure there's something I don't know. But that's likely to be the cost of a great back up center. Is that what we're suggesting is his value?

He was unable to get in the NBA 2 seasons ago let alone 10 seasons ago ... he was 16 years old 10 seasons ago :D

MonroeFAN
05-09-2016, 12:25 PM
You know what I meanz scooter.

Slug3
05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
8-12 million a year?

I mean a lot of people who don't watch a lot of Heat games only see his highlights. But last series against the Hornests he cost us because his D was that bad. With the game on the line Spo needs to put in UD over Whiteside because he believes that old man can play it better.

Scoots
05-09-2016, 02:15 PM
You know what I meanz scooter.

lol

Scoots
05-09-2016, 02:20 PM
I mean a lot of people who don't watch a lot of Heat games only see his highlights. But last series against the Hornests he cost us because his D was that bad. With the game on the line Spo needs to put in UD over Whiteside because he believes that old man can play it better.

In support of Whiteside ... he went from the bottom 10th of the NBA in rim defense to the bottom third, which though still bad was a significant improvement.

What's more alarming is his passing. In ~3400 career minutes he has 36 assists. He got a lot more assists this year than in the past. Andrew Bogut is a much better passer, but that doesn't explain him having 10x more assists per minute.

MonroeFAN
05-09-2016, 02:35 PM
How many centers posses the type of talent you're seeking? I can't help but think we're looking at this the wrong way.

Max contract to me is for the demand of the position (and other factors). I don't think we can really deny that here.

rhymeratic
05-09-2016, 03:15 PM
NO he should not get a Max but he probably will. To me, all the talent in the world to be a great player. Just hasn't done it consistently enough.

Some team is going to pay for potential and probably get burnt.

Scoots
05-09-2016, 03:29 PM
How many centers posses the type of talent you're seeking? I can't help but think we're looking at this the wrong way.

Max contract to me is for the demand of the position (and other factors). I don't think we can really deny that here.

Bogut is a top shot blocker, rim defender, man defender, and passer. But his offensive game is actually worse than Whitesides ... but he isn't expected to be healthy or ever get better, and he's older. But he's making less than half of the max. When people like that are making that money a max for Whtieside is kind of hard to swallow.

Miami's problem is all the ifs ... with Whiteside, if he'll continue to improve or backslide, if he'll learn his limitations and play within them, if he'll get a better understanding of the team game.

MonroeFAN
05-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Miami didn't even make the playoffs last year and we're comparing Whiteside and Bogut who plays 20 MPG on the best team of all time? I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

I don't see a scenario in which Whiteside doesn't get the Max from someone. I'm not going to simply disagree with you guys, because you all have valid points (outside of Bogut that is, I'm sure a lot of centers would be elite playing for the Warriors). But agree to disagree.

Hawkeye15
05-09-2016, 05:03 PM
I would guess in the neighborhood of 4 years, $70 million is what he will get. Still relatively young, very good defender/rebounder, efficient at what he does, even if it's limited, and huge. He will get near max money.

Scoots
05-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Miami didn't even make the playoffs last year and we're comparing Whiteside and Bogut who plays 20 MPG on the best team of all time? I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

I don't see a scenario in which Whiteside doesn't get the Max from someone. I'm not going to simply disagree with you guys, because you all have valid points (outside of Bogut that is, I'm sure a lot of centers would be elite playing for the Warriors). But agree to disagree.

My point was not to compare him to Bogut so much as to say what the Warriors are getting in Bogut for $12M a year and while Bogut, like Whiteside, has limitations in his game the Warriors can work around them and Bogut brings what the Warriors need. I'm not sure Whiteside for the max is so easy to plan around his weaknesses or contributes as much.

So for me the issue with Whiteside being a max player is, does your team become a title contender with him added, and will he continue to improve at a significant rate because there are more parts of his game that are bad than parts that are great.

mrblisterdundee
05-09-2016, 05:57 PM
I could see a team like Dallas or even Miami, for that matter maxing out Whiteside. Dallas would be the best fit, and they were already trying to max out a one- or two-dimensional center last summer.

ewing
05-09-2016, 08:07 PM
In support of Whiteside ... he went from the bottom 10th of the NBA in rim defense to the bottom third, which though still bad was a significant improvement.

What's more alarming is his passing. In ~3400 career minutes he has 36 assists. He got a lot more assists this year than in the past. Andrew Bogut is a much better passer, but that doesn't explain him having 10x more assists per minute.

yeah that more b/c plays on a team that moves the ball a lot more over playing iso ball and shoots the ball better then any team in history of basketball. Put Curry, Klay, Barnes, and green around whiteside and the paint is wide open for this guy to dunk on peoples head or you are getting a wide open look. Bogut is a better passer no doubt but you aren't exactly comparing apples to apples with the raw #s

Scoots
05-09-2016, 09:58 PM
yeah that more b/c plays on a team that moves the ball a lot more over playing iso ball and shoots the ball better then any team in history of basketball. Put Curry, Klay, Barnes, and green around whiteside and the paint is wide open for this guy to dunk on peoples head or you are getting a wide open look. Bogut is a better passer no doubt but you aren't exactly comparing apples to apples with the raw #s
It took whiteside until his third year in the nba to get his first assist. It's more than the team he's on. 36 assist in 4 years is BAD.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

t_money25
05-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Better question is will he get the max. I say yes. Some of the reasoning in here is awful. Whitside has basically been a pro for about a year and a half. He's improved his overall game within that time frame including his free throw shooting. He's only scratched the surface on how good he can be. At this rate, he can be the best big man in the game within another 2 seasons.

Slug3
05-10-2016, 02:03 PM

Whiteside has come a long way from when he was with the Kings and all them and not being able to make a NBA team at all. So he is definitely a NBA player now and due solid starter money. But 18-22 million a year just because he blocks shots is not what I think a max player is at the moment. Still has a lot of character issues and other issues. That was I think 8-12 million is what he is worth and see if he can still develop more.

Slug3
05-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Better question is will he get the max. I say yes. Some of the reasoning in here is awful. Whitside has basically been a pro for about a year and a half. He's improved his overall game within that time frame including his free throw shooting. He's only scratched the surface on how good he can be. At this rate, he can be the best big man in the game within another 2 seasons.

I just about never see a rookie be in the league for a year and a half and then get a max contract so why should Whiteside since he's on the same timetable? We don't know if he would get that 80-90 million and become over it and lazy and stop improving.

Scoots
05-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Whiteside has come a long way from when he was with the Kings and all them and not being able to make a NBA team at all. So he is definitely a NBA player now and due solid starter money. But 18-22 million a year just because he blocks shots is not what I think a max player is at the moment. Still has a lot of character issues and other issues. That was I think 8-12 million is what he is worth and see if he can still develop more.

I agree. But someone is probably going to offer it and how can he turn it down?

Slug3
05-10-2016, 03:29 PM
I agree. But someone is probably going to offer it and how can he turn it down?

Oh I think there could be a few teams that might offer him it. Maybe even Miami (I hope they don't UNLESS Bosh does retire, but even then I don't want it).

I just don't think he is worth it and am tired of hearing the owners complain when its time for a new CBA that they are not making money when they so easily throw money to anyone who looks like they could be talented.

beasted86
05-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Bogut is a top shot blocker, rim defender, man defender, and passer. But his offensive game is actually worse than Whitesides ... but he isn't expected to be healthy or ever get better, and he's older. But he's making less than half of the max. When people like that are making that money a max for Whtieside is kind of hard to swallow.

Miami's problem is all the ifs ... with Whiteside, if he'll continue to improve or backslide, if he'll learn his limitations and play within them, if he'll get a better understanding of the team game.

What's with the sudden man crush on Bogut around these forums? I keep hearing his name mentioned as though he's a top player. He's a middle of the pack mediocre Center along with Festus. Both of them look better than they are playing with the Warriors.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make in regards to proportional value since he's not better than Whiteside nor is his contract particularly a bargain.

Bogut @12M at 31+ years old, being injured a minimum of 12+ games every seasons, and being the mediocre player he's been over his career actually makes a stronger case for Whiteside at $18M+ (his max is capped at $22M).

I don't want Whiteside to get a max, but you're actually making it sound more reasonable :eyebrow:

beasted86
05-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Look, at the end of the day if people are going to do this comparison of who got what... let's break down some recent player contracts and not guys who got signed or extended years ago:

Omer Asik $12M < Whiteside
Amir Johnson $12M < Whiteside
Tyson Chandler $13M < Whiteside
Robin Lopez $15M < Whiteside
Tristan Thompson $17M < Whiteside
DeAndre Jordan $21M </= Whiteside

And I make all these comparisons as a fan who thinks Whiteside will get overpaid at a max deal, and I think he has big holes in his game. But other GMs have destroyed the market with their dumb contracts.

Jordan is the best player of this group and he's around the same age as Hassan and has a similar impact overall, and unfortunately he got a max last summer.

Scoots
05-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Look, at the end of the day if people are going to do this comparison of who got what... let's break down some recent player contracts and not guys who got signed or extended years ago:

Omer Asik $12M < Whiteside
Amir Johnson $12M < Whiteside
Tyson Chandler $13M < Whiteside
Robin Lopez $15M < Whiteside
Tristan Thompson $17M < Whiteside
DeAndre Jordan $21M </= Whiteside

And I make all these comparisons as a fan who thinks Whiteside will get overpaid at a max deal, and I think he has big holes in his game. But other GMs have destroyed the market with their dumb contracts.

Jordan is the best player of this group and he's around the same age as Hassan and has a similar impact overall, and unfortunately he got a max last summer.

I don't think anybody is thinking Whiteside isn't going to get a max deal ... and that list just makes it even more obvious that he will.

Ty Fast
05-10-2016, 06:41 PM
It depends what you ask of him. If you ask him to do what DJ does for the Clippers than you'll get your money worth. If you ask him to carry a big load on offense you will be very disapointed. You also need a good coach and some strong leaders on your team.