PDA

View Full Version : how can nba reffing be so d@^% bad!!

krazylegz
05-03-2016, 07:52 PM
5 incorrect calls in final 2 mins of a game? (thunder/spurs)...players getting tossed for just trash talking? (blazers/warriors)...just to name a few

even with a "report card",what is actually done about these calls/no calls??..they need to be put in front of a mic and held responsible at the end of games...just like the players are

Saddletramp
05-03-2016, 08:09 PM
I don't think you have to censor the word damn.

ETA: Yep, you don't.

STRIKERC
05-03-2016, 08:29 PM
I think the camera's and camera men/women have gotten better.

mrblisterdundee
05-03-2016, 08:30 PM
5 incorrect calls in final 2 mins of a game? (thunder/spurs)...players getting tossed for just trash talking? (blazers/warriors)...just to name a few

even with a "report card",what is actually done about these calls/no calls??..they need to be put in front of a mic and held responsible at the end of games...just like the players are

You're giving them too much credit. It was five incorrect calls in the last 13.5 seconds. Both sides had missed foul calls, so I guess it's somewhat of a wash.

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2016, 08:30 PM
There are 3 pairs of eyes and ten players.

With the Waiters thing, I think he called that Manu was stepping out of bounds, if the official looked, he'd miss the shove; if he's watching above the wait, he misses Manu stepping out.

The other officials are watching the other 8 players. When the ball gets into the paint, there are players obscuring the plays and potential fouls, so officials can't make a call. You can't call what you can't see.

It's like in football when players pile on a lose ball. The guy that pulls it out is not the guy who got control of it, because the guy that gets it out is usually on top of the pile. I don't know why they don't just give it to the last guy they saw touching the ball since the KNOW the guy that comes out with it is not the guy who got control of it. But they do, because the players that jump on top block the action.

I've always been frustrated with NBA officiating. So I hear you, but that sequence didn't seem like a big deal to me.

DboneG
05-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Because the Refs don't want to be the determining factor in who win a game in the last 2 minutes of the game. The players now know this...and are getting away with egregious play. My guest is the refs will make adjustments big time. Because, they are the vocal point in at lease three series now.

lakerfan85
05-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Because Joey Crawford retired..

IndyRealist
05-03-2016, 08:55 PM
For what it's worth:

The NBA acknowledged Monday what the Pacers and many of their fans knew: The referees in Sundayís decisive Game 7 made an error when they did not call a foul on Torontoís DeMar DeRozan late in the fourth quarter.

The league, in its last two-minute report for close games, said the referees' non-call on DeRozanís push of Ian Mahinmi with 16.6 seconds left and the Pacers down three points was the incorrect decision. When the play began, the Pacers gave the ball to Paul George, who was able to get past his defender and threw an alley-oop attempt to an open Mahinmi. But Mahinmi failed to catch the ball after DeRozan pushed him. The NBA said DeRozan should have been called for a foul, which would have sent Mahinmi to the free-throw line.

Instead, DeRozan caught Georgeís pass and dribbled up court before being fouled by the Pacers.

Of a less-criticized moment, the NBA said DeRozan should have been called for traveling a few seconds later once he passed midcourt.

A correct call would have given the Pacers the ball and another chance to tie the game with 6.5 seconds remaining. Instead, rookie Myles Turner was whistled for fouling DeRozan, who calmly went to the free throw-line and made both free throws.

In its full report of Sundayís game, the NBA acknowledged that three of four incorrect calls by the referees were a disadvantage to the Pacers.

Star reporter Candace Buckner contributed to this report. Star reporter Nate Taylor

To be fair to referees, these bad calls have always happened. But now we have 24/7 ESPN, Youtube, and League Pass. You used to simply see a what looked like a bad call, but without the ability to watch it over and over again frame by frame, you just had to accept that things didn't always go your way.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 10:05 PM
We also have vine et al so the replay can be replayed millions of times 10 seconds later.

Is everybody on board with needed a 4th ref?

TrueFan420
05-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Def think a 4th ref should be added

kdspurman
05-03-2016, 10:18 PM
I still like the idea of a coaches challenge per half like football. 4th official would probably help too a little I imagine.

Wade n Fade
05-03-2016, 11:46 PM
The NJ Replay Centre is like the WWE having a replay centre and expecting to look "impartial."

WaDe03
05-03-2016, 11:57 PM
They've been terrible.

Dade County
05-04-2016, 12:56 AM

And have a monitor right next to them & the reporters can control the playback while they are asking them about the exact play.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2016, 11:38 AM
well, what does everyone want? They are the highest grading refs in the game. Get rid of them all, you get lesser quality refs.

Take what you can get. Humans make mistakes. Players do all game long, so will refs at times.

ombada
05-04-2016, 01:09 PM
I think they should be penalized in some way. I mean these calls are swinging entire series in the opposite direction. They should have incentive not to **** up.

And if we can see it on TV, why cant they see it with the exact same equipment at their disposal. I hate to say it because it slows the game down, but maybe replay should be expanded.

Scoots
05-04-2016, 01:19 PM
I think they should be penalized in some way. I mean these calls are swinging entire series in the opposite direction. They should have incentive not to **** up.

And if we can see it on TV, why cant they see it with the exact same equipment at their disposal. I hate to say it because it slows the game down, but maybe replay should be expanded.

They are penalized. The best refs (based on post game reviews and grading by the league officials office) work more playoff games and get more money. The lesser refs don't work as much.

IndyRealist
05-04-2016, 03:49 PM

The Pacers one was potentially a 5pt swing in a 3pt game, but it's difficult to say the Spurs one actually affected the outcome.

True Sports Fan
05-04-2016, 05:50 PM
We also have vine et al so the replay can be replayed millions of times 10 seconds later.

Is everybody on board with needed a 4th ref?

A 4th ref is an addition that should have been made a looooooong time ago.

Sportsguy9695
05-04-2016, 05:55 PM
I think it is ridiculous for players getting tossed for talking trash. but think about it. these refs have to make a call in a split second. it just shows that there human.

kobe4thewinbang
05-05-2016, 02:04 AM
Well, it's been awful. The Wade foul, the shove by Dion on Ginobili and of course DeRozan shoving Mahimni from an easy alley oop.

There are always bad calls, but I can't remember a time when no-calls/bad calls have directly affected the end of a game.

1) Spurs would've had the ball and likely used their last timeout, and have gotten a better shot to win the game. It's miraculous enough that they stole the ball and had a shot to win, but it was a mad scramble that was needless. To miss that call at home is pretty crazy.

2) DeRozan completely moved Mahimni with that push. It's too bad Mahimni was so shocked, otherwise he might've flopped it up and definitely gotten the call, or had he been more off balance he might've fallen nastily and gotten the whistle. Unlike the Spurs, this was a Raptors home game. The DeRozan travel only made it worse and you could tell these referees aren't cut for the crop.

I mean, damn. It's not that hard to see these things. It's surprising so many people are defending them.

Scoots
05-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Well, it's been awful. The Wade foul, the shove by Dion on Ginobili and of course DeRozan shoving Mahimni from an easy alley oop.

There are always bad calls, but I can't remember a time when no-calls/bad calls have directly affected the end of a game.

1) Spurs would've had the ball and likely used their last timeout, and have gotten a better shot to win the game. It's miraculous enough that they stole the ball and had a shot to win, but it was a mad scramble that was needless. To miss that call at home is pretty crazy.

2) DeRozan completely moved Mahimni with that push. It's too bad Mahimni was so shocked, otherwise he might've flopped it up and definitely gotten the call, or had he been more off balance he might've fallen nastily and gotten the whistle. Unlike the Spurs, this was a Raptors home game. The DeRozan travel only made it worse and you could tell these referees aren't cut for the crop.

I mean, damn. It's not that hard to see these things. It's surprising so many people are defending them.

If we're going to list them, the NBA said Harden's game winner in the first round was an offensive foul after the fact. If that call is made then the Warriors are 3-0 and maybe Curry doesn't play in game 4 and hurt his knee.

But none of it matters after the end of the game, so there is little point in debating them.

The easiest thing to do is add a 4th ref.

Tony_Starks
05-05-2016, 10:30 AM
The only one I really had a issue with was the Derozan shove against Indiana. The Raptors were totally screwing off that game and I believe they would've gave it away. That was a series deciding mistake.

The other ones weren't that egregious in the grand scheme...

CHANGO
05-05-2016, 08:29 PM

You forgot Dray throwing Beasley.
Wade's foul on Kemba.
Lee's foul on Wade.
Carroll's foul on Wade (grabbing his jersey forced a turnover)
Harden's push to hit a game winner. (this was less obvious but was a foul)

Pretty sure I'm missing a lot too. But that's without counting the Regular Season too (Klay's foul on Lance Stephenson, Draymond tackling Smart, W's moving screens vs the HEAT, etc...) and counting the fouls admitted by the NBA on the reports. On the HEAT vs Raptors game the report said something about 3 or 4 moving screens by Valanciunas on the last 2 minutes of regulation and the last 2 minutes of OT. THAT'S JUST AWFUL.

Too many missed calls having an impact on KEY GAMES.

KnickNyKnick
05-05-2016, 11:10 PM
have a overhead ref hanging from wires overseeing the whole thing. NBA2K Camera angle :D

Scoots
05-05-2016, 11:43 PM
have a overhead ref hanging from wires overseeing the whole thing. NBA2K Camera angle :D

Give all the cheerleaders whistles and have the cheerleaders travel with the teams for fairness.

kobe4thewinbang
05-06-2016, 03:30 PM
You forgot Dray throwing Beasley.
Wade's foul on Kemba.
Lee's foul on Wade.
Carroll's foul on Wade (grabbing his jersey forced a turnover)
Harden's push to hit a game winner. (this was less obvious but was a foul)

Pretty sure I'm missing a lot too. But that's without counting the Regular Season too (Klay's foul on Lance Stephenson, Draymond tackling Smart, W's moving screens vs the HEAT, etc...) and counting the fouls admitted by the NBA on the reports. On the HEAT vs Raptors game the report said something about 3 or 4 moving screens by Valanciunas on the last 2 minutes of regulation and the last 2 minutes of OT. THAT'S JUST AWFUL.

Too many missed calls having an impact on KEY GAMES.I wonder if Silver is facing any outcry about it and might be wondering how to solve it, e.g. 4th referee.

numba1CHANGsta
05-06-2016, 03:57 PM
The NBA is a scripted sport just like wrestling

ewing
05-06-2016, 03:59 PM
i think the league has changed how they want the game called so often and gives these guys so many points of emphasis that they then back off on a year or 1/2 a season later that these guy just don't know wtf to do

PowerHouse
05-06-2016, 04:06 PM
No more Dick Bavetta or Joey Crawford. Thats why.

europagnpilgrim
05-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Its called rigging or balancing the vegas odds

That rogue ref is equal to J Canseco, they told the truth

and people keep saying they are human and all this other non sense is either naÔve or just have blinders on as thick as the Earth's core

especially when all us non refs can spot it on a tv screen, I would spot it even easier right there in the flesh in front of my face especially with 10-20 yrs of experience doing

all refs are protected by the $$$ rig runners, its not rocket science, its basic common sense 101

Scoots
05-06-2016, 04:24 PM
i think the league has changed how they want the game called so often and gives these guys so many points of emphasis that they then back off on a year or 1/2 a season later that these guy just don't know wtf to do

At this point the refs have specific places they are supposed to be looking as the ball moves in certain ways and who has it and where they are. It's all delineated to the point that anything happening not in those places is mostly ignored. Over-the-back going for a rebound is not called all that often, but a push in the back is because the officials eyes are low so they don't see what's going on up top as well. 3 point shooters the ref is looking at the feet to make sure they are behind the line so they may not notice that they were getting held coming around the screen. The screen is set away from the ball so the officials are doing their job making sure the guy with the ball isn't fouled and the guys off the ball can get away with moving screens.

They made it more rigid because the game was taking advantage of the refs, the advantages taken have changed to fit the new mold, but there simply are not enough eyes and they are now TOO controlled and players are getting away with too much.

pacofunk64
05-06-2016, 04:41 PM
The reffing is fine...you FANactics are blowing it way out of proportion. I know this is in general reference to the end of the Spurs game but I thought letting the players play it out was the right thing to do. I mean really Ginobli could have gotten a technical...would you really wanted the game to end that way? You'd be *****ing about that.

pebloemer
05-06-2016, 05:52 PM
The reffing is fine...you FANactics are blowing it way out of proportion. I know this is in general reference to the end of the Spurs game but I thought letting the players play it out was the right thing to do. I mean really Ginobli could have gotten a technical...would you really wanted the game to end that way? You'd be *****ing about that.

I agree. As long as there is officiating there will be fans to complain about it.

In the NBA, a game called by the rules would be incredibly slow paced and frustrating to watch. If the refs don't let things go, the entertainment value of the game goes down pretty fast. Unless people enjoy watching FT shooting contest. I personally enjoy it when some physicality is allowed.

Scoots
05-06-2016, 08:27 PM

I agree that it's blown out of proportion, but it's about a lot more than the Spurs game (and Ginobli could not get a technical, he could get a warning) ... there have been multiple games where the last play has come back with the NBA admitting it was officiated wrong. So it keeps getting repeated.

CHANGO
05-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Its called rigging or balancing the vegas odds

That rogue ref is equal to J Canseco, they told the truth

and people keep saying they are human and all this other non sense is either naÔve or just have blinders on as thick as the Earth's core

especially when all us non refs can spot it on a tv screen, I would spot it even easier right there in the flesh in front of my face especially with 10-20 yrs of experience doing

all refs are protected by the $$$ rig runners, its not rocket science, its basic common sense 101

I lean towards this too. It's just stupid to say "oh, too much going on, the refs didn't see that one" when you have a ref standing 3 feet away of one play. Everyone can see it but not the ref nah, I'm calling ********.