PDA

View Full Version : Why is Duncan Getting a Pass?

Tony_Starks
05-03-2016, 02:38 PM
He's averaging 6 points 6boards for the playoffs, below 50% FG and FT shooting down to 63%, slow of foot, and they are a minus when he's on the floor for the 20 minutes he plays. During the season he put up 8 and 7 and only played 60 games. The offense no longer goes though him it goes through Aldridge, and he's no longer the anchor on defense.

So what exactly is he doing? Are we still buying the narrative that he's doing something out there that is immeasurable, thus still a asset? Like is what he's doing so much more different than say KG if we swapped him out?

Because it looks like he's actually hurting the team.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 02:43 PM
He's OLD and he is going to retire. I don't think he's hurting the team, but he is clearly at the end.

TheMightyHumph
05-03-2016, 02:44 PM
He's averaging 6 points 6boards for the playoffs, below 50% FG and FT shooting down to 63%, slow of foot, and they are a minus when he's on the floor for the 20 minutes he plays. During the season he put up 8 and 7 and only played 60 games. The offense no longer goes though him it goes through Aldridge, and he's no longer the anchor on defense.

So what exactly is he doing? Are we still buying the narrative that he's doing something out there that is immeasurable, thus still a asset? Like is what he's doing so much more different than say KG if we swapped him out?

It's an AARP pass.

Big Zo
05-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Well, he never got quite the hype of Kobe, LeBron, etc. Because he's a "boring" player, so if people didn't care about him during his peak, they're not gonna care now.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Well, he never got quite the hype of Kobe, LeBron, etc. Because he's a "boring" player, so if people didn't care about him during his peak, they're not gonna care now.

best possible explanation

smith&wesson
05-03-2016, 02:57 PM

Clearly he has become a role player. You cant measure the mans basketball iq, and the fact that he is the heart and soul of the team.

Also you have to give him some credit the way he transitioned in to a role player while players like Leonard and Aldridge took over the helm.

He has championship pedigree, experience, and offers the team mentorship. His presence alone is like having another coach on the side lines or on the court.

He, Ginobli, and Parker are shells of their former selves, but as supporting cast around Aldridge and Leonard they are perfect for that role imo.

Tony_Starks
05-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Clearly he has become a role player. You cant measure the mans basketball iq, and the fact that he is the heart and soul of the team.

Also you have to give him some credit the way he transitioned in to a role player while players like Leonard and Aldridge took over the helm.

He has championship pedigree, experience, and offers the team mentorship. His presence alone is like having another coach on the side lines or on the court.

He, Ginobli, and Parker are shells of their former selves, but as supporting cast around Aldridge and Leonard they are perfect for that role imo.

True to an extent, but Ginobli and Parker still have their moments. Parker still keeps tremendous pressure on the defense by his drives creating open shots and Ginobli is still dropping big clutch shots.

In years past even when the numbers were reduced Duncan was still the key man when you needed him, either on offense or defense. Those days are over, what he's giving them could be done in a suit on the bench.

kdspurman
05-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Cause he'said 40.... and accepted the role they need for him. To protect the paint, which hes probably the best or 1 of the best at this point in the league. Sure some matchups are bad for him, but again.. he's 40 and has been playing on 1 leg the last 5-6 years...

He's not asked to score. Just to rebound the ball, defend and protect the paint. And it's because of his unselfishness and not caring about his personal accolades and stats that the Spurs have become what they are.

Most superstar players would never accept it and welcome it like he has.

D-Leethal
05-03-2016, 03:16 PM
His defense, positioning and passing are still elite and crucial to the Spurs success.

FlashBolt
05-03-2016, 03:26 PM
I think it's safe to say that Spurs should seriously plan on replacing Duncan very soon. He has looked terrible and the fact that you have to always rest him is getting a tad silly. If he still wants to play, he deserves that right. If not, he's probably holding this team back. They don't really need him anymore. Kawhi has developed far beyond what we projected and can hold it down. Spurs could replace TP, Gino, and Duncan soon. Who shall take over?

Moyaz
05-03-2016, 03:28 PM
I was thinking exactly the same yesterday while watching the game.....

I think the Spurs will be better if they play West/Diaw those 20 mins that Duncan plays, what does he do ? 4 Pts , 7 Rebound, 1 block ? West/Diaw should be able to put higher numbers than that...

I have huge respect for Duncan, SAS is SAS because of him, but his time has end, this is about winning right now, and he should be the first one to know that other players can do better than him at this moment in his career.

FOXHOUND
05-03-2016, 03:31 PM
I don't see how he's getting a "pass", unless there are people out there who are valuing him as anything more than just the excellent role player he has become.

Tony_Starks
05-03-2016, 03:33 PM
His defense, positioning and passing are still elite and crucial to the Spurs success.

His passing, yes, but not his defense.

I feel like when people say he "protects the paint" it's almost a cliche at this point.

When you watch the games he's not altering shots, not blocking shots, and people are blowing past him....so how is that elite defense?

Once again they were a Minus with him on the floor so he's not helping.

IndyRealist
05-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Per minute his rebounds, blocks, steals, and assists put him in allstar range, especially when you factor in turnovers and fouls. He's not asked to shoot much, so that mitigates his relatively poor shooting (i.e. he doesn't do a lot of it so it doesn't really matter). They're a top rated offense, so it can't be said he's hurting them by not shooting. I'll take 20mpg of allstar level performance any day of the week.

But while we're on the subject, Duncan shoots 49% on 2s so he's finished and hurting his team, but DeMarcus Cousins shoots 47% on 2s and he's a top offensive center. Huh.

smith&wesson
05-03-2016, 03:36 PM
True to an extent, but Ginobli and Parker still have their moments. Parker still keeps tremendous pressure on the defense by his drives creating open shots and Ginobli is still dropping big clutch shots.

In years past even when the numbers were reduced Duncan was still the key man when you needed him, either on offense or defense. Those days are over, what he's giving them could be done in a suit on the bench.

But maybe they don't need him to do more than rebound, defend, set strong screens, and just be a vocal leader. Clearly Aldridge and Leonard are the go to options on this team. If Duncan started playing outside of his role he could disrupt chemistry. The offense hasn't been ran through Duncan for years now.

Kyben36
05-03-2016, 03:45 PM
he is old, thats the answer, he isnt in his prime, put michael jordan out there but he doesnt play great either. come on man, is this thread worthy, you expect a guy his age to what, carry the team, why arnt kobes lakers in the playoffs, nobody is questiong kobes greatness, but he is old an can carry **** up a hill, not calling the spurs ****, but he isnt expected to be the guy.

Crackadalic
05-03-2016, 03:49 PM
He's 40 years old and played a **** ton of games the last 20 years. Has he even miss a post season in his career? Its clear as day he is just a role player now

kdspurman
05-03-2016, 03:50 PM

I feel like when people say he "protects the paint" it's almost a cliche at this point.

When you watch the games he's not altering shots, not blocking shots, and people are blowing past him....so how is that elite defense?

Except it's not cliche, it's a fact. How often are you watching him to know this? You aren't one of those guys who watches the nationally televised games and go off of that are you?

He was 2nd among centers in DRPM this year, and was in 1st early on and most of the year.

As a rim protector, Duncan held opponents to 40.9 percent shooting. Only Rudy Gobert and Serge Ibaka allowed a lower field goal percentage at the rim among qualified players who contested at least six field-goal attempts per game.

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/112105/defensive-player-of-the-month-tim-duncan

To say he's not helping is just false... This series, he's very useful as a guy who can box out and make someone like Adams work.. Against the Warriors, obviously he'd struggle with switching onto the perimeter and guarding their smaller lineups. He had a bad game yesterday, but so did everyone minus LMA. Game 1, he was altering shots at the rim on their drives, and doing what he's asked to do.

Box scores don't tell the whole story.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 03:55 PM
I think it's safe to say that Spurs should seriously plan on replacing Duncan very soon. He has looked terrible and the fact that you have to always rest him is getting a tad silly. If he still wants to play, he deserves that right. If not, he's probably holding this team back. They don't really need him anymore. Kawhi has developed far beyond what we projected and can hold it down. Spurs could replace TP, Gino, and Duncan soon. Who shall take over?

Seriously plan? He's in his last playoffs. They don't need to make a plan now.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Except it's not cliche, it's a fact. How often are you watching him to know this? You aren't one of those guys who watches the nationally televised games and go off of that are you?

He was 2nd among centers in DRPM this year, and was in 1st early on and most of the year.

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/112105/defensive-player-of-the-month-tim-duncan

To say he's not helping is just false... This series, he's very useful as a guy who can box out and make someone like Adams work.. Against the Warriors, obviously he'd struggle with switching onto the perimeter and guarding their smaller lineups. He had a bad game yesterday, but so did everyone minus LMA. Game 1, he was altering shots at the rim on their drives, and doing what he's asked to do.

Box scores don't tell the whole story.

Timmy is still capable of being the man, it's just for much shorter bursts than it used to be. His body can't do everything anymore, but his mind is all-time.

FlashBolt
05-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Seriously plan? He's in his last playoffs. They don't need to make a plan now.

I also added the "very soon."

Scoots
05-03-2016, 04:37 PM
I also added the "very soon."

Hehe ... ahh ... so like before the current series ends?

kdspurman
05-03-2016, 04:44 PM
The Spurs have already begun their rebuilding process. Started a few years ago.. Arguably the best scouts/front office in the league, I have nothing but confidence in their potential/future plans.

Anyway back on topic, box scores don't tell the whole story people

FlashBolt
05-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Hehe ... ahh ... so like before the current series ends?

Obviously at the end of the season... Why would they look for a replacement when they have a shot at the championship? I just think they can grab a more productive center who can play at any time. Not saying Duncan isn't useful when he's out there but he needs to be out there for production to exist.

True Sports Fan
05-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Per minute his rebounds, blocks, steals, and assists put him in allstar range, especially when you factor in turnovers and fouls. He's not asked to shoot much, so that mitigates his relatively poor shooting (i.e. he doesn't do a lot of it so it doesn't really matter). They're a top rated offense, so it can't be said he's hurting them by not shooting. I'll take 20mpg of allstar level performance any day of the week.

But while we're on the subject, Duncan shoots 49% on 2s so he's finished and hurting his team, but DeMarcus Cousins shoots 47% on 2s and he's a top offensive center. Huh.

That's a silly *** comparison at this point in their careers. One of them is the top option on a **** team, and the other is on a team full of capable scorers. If you don't think it's a bad comparison, just look at their volume

Scoots
05-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Obviously at the end of the season... Why would they look for a replacement when they have a shot at the championship? I just think they can grab a more productive center who can play at any time. Not saying Duncan isn't useful when he's out there but he needs to be out there for production to exist.

This isn't working. I was pointing out that he's retiring, you said they needed to do it soon so I took that as a joke ... because he's going to retire in as little as 3 games from now and you were saying he needed to do it "soon" see? So I made the comment about him retiring BEFORE the end of the series as that would be pretty much the only way to guarantee he retires sooner than was already planned. See? Never explain a joke.

FlashBolt
05-03-2016, 05:48 PM
This isn't working. I was pointing out that he's retiring, you said they needed to do it soon so I took that as a joke ... because he's going to retire in as little as 3 games from now and you were saying he needed to do it "soon" see? So I made the comment about him retiring BEFORE the end of the series as that would be pretty much the only way to guarantee he retires sooner than was already planned. See? Never explain a joke.

Well, I don't know if he plans on retiring. Does anyone know?

nastynice
05-03-2016, 05:51 PM
To protect the paint, which hes probably the best or 1 of the best at this point in the league.

What the hell, is this for real?

FlashBolt
05-03-2016, 05:54 PM

Why is that a surprise? He's still one of the best at defending the paint.

kdspurman
05-03-2016, 06:05 PM

My comment or this thread? Genuinely confused

rhymeratic
05-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Dragging guys to the floor to secure rebounds knowing that refs give you a pass because of history I don't necessarily consider to be elite defense...

Nevertheless it's Tim Duncan at 40. It is what it is...

kdspurman
05-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Dragging guys to the floor to secure rebounds knowing that refs give you a pass because of history I don't necessarily consider to be elite defense...

Nevertheless it's Tim Duncan at 40. It is what it is...

Lol... that's what he does. When he's out there he's just dragging folks down...

Bruno
05-03-2016, 06:14 PM
he missed some bunnies but he's still the best screen setter in the NBA. ever watch an entire quarter just to see how and where Duncan sets his screens? he's a genius.

IndyRealist
05-03-2016, 06:43 PM
That's a silly *** comparison at this point in their careers. One of them is the top option on a **** team, and the other is on a team full of capable scorers. If you don't think it's a bad comparison, just look at their volume

Doing something poorly doesn't suddenly make it better because you do it at a high volume. Doing something poorly and then doing it a lot makes it exponentially worse. Usage curve is a myth.

flea
05-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Been saying it for years, guy is overrated. He's finally proving it - 40 years old and he can't even carry his team to a 6-0 start in the playoffs? I mean his team only has a point differential of +20 on average this postseason. Why even play if you can't blow out your opponents on average over 25 points in the postseason? He's clearly done. He cheats to get boards, only can pass because he's tall and lucky that his teammates frequently run into his phantom passing lanes, and sets screens like a roomba set to clockwork. I've said it since 08 he's finished and he should have quit while he was ahead 12 years ago.

But seriously - he's not scoring as much as Kareem in his 40 year old season but his impact is greater overall. He's having a great season in his role even if he's rarely asked to score - better than most centers in the league at least. He did some infrequent post-ups during the season but LMA is so hot on the block why even switch it up?

If his team needs him to I'm sure he could still provide some help on that end beyond his elite big man passing and screens. After all it was only a year ago that he dragged the Spurs to 7 vs. the Clips with the worst guard play the Spurs have had since Parker was a rookie.

nastynice
05-03-2016, 07:09 PM
My comment or this thread? Genuinely confused

You just said Duncan is one of the best defenders in the paint. I'm a little shocked

FlashBolt
05-03-2016, 07:10 PM
You just said Duncan is one of the best defenders in the paint. I'm a little shocked

He is... and that isn't news.

nastynice
05-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Why is that a surprise? He's still one of the best at defending the paint.

It's surprising to me. Whenever I watch the Spurs, he in no way, shape, or form ever sticks out to me on defense. I don't know, maybe he is, I'm a pay a little more attention next time I watch them play

nastynice
05-03-2016, 07:12 PM
He is... and that isn't news.

Haha, it's DEFINITELY news to me!

Chronz
05-03-2016, 08:25 PM
FFTW

Flea For The W

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Why is a nearly 40-year-old role player getting a pass? Um... really?

How about this: why don't you say: Why aren't we praising Duncan for not being the ballhog Kobe was for his final season and taking all the shots instead of letting the young players develop their game.

Duncan is letting the better players dominate the ball. That means Leonard and LMA. Would you prefer be be taking shots away from them?

He's a role player. He's a mentor, and a locker room leader, and a rotation player who rebounds well and plays solid defence and moves the ball.

Why is he averaging 6 boards a game? Because he doesn't get a lot of minutes. He's averaging 10 per36 for the playoffs. That is AMAZING for a guy who is turning 40 soon.

His FG% is down 2% from the regular season. BFD.

Is there a reason you aren't starting threads about other players who are averaging less than 22 minutes a game and are literally the 7th or 8th scoring options on their team right now?

Maybe we can talk about Maurice Harkless on Portland, who's getting 33% more shots than TD right now. Or Gerald Henderson?

Why is Waiters getting a pass?

This is just silly.

Chronz
05-03-2016, 09:07 PM
lol. I knew JJH and KD spurs would have top-3 responses. Flea topped yall tho

kdspurman
05-03-2016, 09:45 PM

Flea is always on point with Timmy stuff

IBleedPurple
05-04-2016, 12:29 AM
FFTW

Flea For The Wx2

Duncan may be the most underrated player of my life...actually nobody else comes to mind that is close.

nastynice
05-04-2016, 01:53 AM
x2

Duncan may be the most underrated player of my life...actually nobody else comes to mind that is close.

Umm, don't majority of people consider him the best pf to have ever played the game? What else do u want?

naps
05-04-2016, 02:04 AM
It's callled accepting your role without complaining. Sure he has been declining and it's natural but dont think for a second he wouldnt be putting up much much better numbers if Aldridge didnt come and so perfectly get his role. Duncan is amazing. Such a great leader.

IBleedPurple
05-04-2016, 02:59 AM
x2

Umm, don't majority of people consider him the best pf to have ever played the game? What else do u want?Most layman fans do not, moreso speaking to that. Doesn't seem like he gets the attention he deserves.

numba1CHANGsta
05-04-2016, 03:43 AM
He's done, no way he comes back next season. I know he wants to get that sixth ring but he's hurting the team more than he is helping it. Just looking back at his career he was such a beast, and if it weren't for the Lakers he'd probably have like 7-8 rings right now.

NYKalltheway
05-04-2016, 05:48 AM
Box score opinions... This thread is full of them.

Heediot
05-04-2016, 06:14 AM
He makes 4 million a year and takes up 7-8 percent of your cap. He has produced enough to warrant his cap hit, even though he is a shell of his former self. There are many worse players at his price to complain about. There are also many guys with bigger cap hits to complain about as well.

DboneG
05-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Stick a fork in him. He's done! He was done last year, if you asked me. I think he love the game so much he can't leave. Or is it...he can't leave that pay check. You can see he's limping a bit. So, why is he still out there? It's something he's been doing for over 19 years, it's hard to break the habit.

Over-the-Hill-Gang

Tim Duncan
Tayshaun Prince
Elton Brand
Kevin Garnett
Amare Stoudemire
Paul Pierce
Manu Ginobili
Andre Miller
Jason Terry
Udonis Haslem
Vince Carter...well maybe, I'm looking at you VC, I have my fork in hand.
Kendrick Perkins...he's about done! I'm poking him with my fork!

kdspurman
05-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Stick a fork in him. He's done! He was done last year, if you asked me. I think he love the game so much he can't leave. Or is it...he can't leave that pay check. You can see he's limping a bit. So, why is he still out there? It's something he's been doing for over 19 years, it's hard to break the habit.

Over-the-Hill-Gang

Tim Duncan
Tayshaun Prince
Elton Brand
Kevin Garnett
Amare Stoudemire
Paul Pierce
Manu Ginobili
Andre Miller
Jason Terry
Udonis Haslem
Vince Carter...well maybe, I'm looking at you VC, I have my fork in hand.
Kendrick Perkins...he's about done! I'm poking him with my fork!

Clearly, you didn't watch him vs the Clippers....

BTW, he's been limping the last 5-6 years, playing on 1 good leg. It's his IQ that allowed him to still remain effective and simply outsmart opponents.

nycericanguy
05-04-2016, 10:26 AM
the real question is, why is the OP getting a pass for this thread?

pacofunk64
05-04-2016, 10:54 AM
the real question is, why is the OP getting a pass for this thread?

lol, that's a good question....

OP I'm not really understanding the issue you have presented? A pass for what? His poor play? It would be different I believe had he not taken a huge pay cut and not allowed other players to be the face of the franchise. He's been the ultimate TEAM player.

ManRam
05-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Because he's not trying to more than what he knows he can do. He's not jacking shots. He's not playing big minutes. He's not trying to be a #1 option. Rather, he's getting after the glass, he's defending and he's only taking shots that come to him. He's 40 years old...what do you really expect?

He's still posting a +3.2 Net Rating. Not sure where your "they are a minus when he's on the floor". I think it's a stretch to say a player that still defends, rebounds and fills his meager role is hurting his team.

But again, he's 40 and he's not trying to do too much. That's really all there is to it in terms of why he isn't getting criticism.

EDIT: I see there's nothing new in this post. Carry on!

mavwar53
05-04-2016, 11:10 AM
On one hand he's looking extremely old and slow, on the other hand he's not making a big deal that he's playing just 22 min per game, not looking mad because he's not the focal point of the offense, and just taking things in stride.

You get a pass when you're failing because you're just old and you're not selfish. He gives what he can on the floor and pop knows how to manage him. If they end up playing the Warriors next round he will probably be down to under 15 min/game and you won't see him complaining.

FlashBolt
05-04-2016, 11:42 AM
To the OP's point, are we still going to boost Duncan up if he wins more rings? He's right if we're going by that.

ManRam
05-04-2016, 11:59 AM
To the OP's point, are we still going to boost Duncan up if he wins more rings? He's right if we're going by that.

Maybe because I'm a Pats fan and much of what I interact with on the internet is biased by that fact, but it doesn't seem like Peyton's legacy seemed to get too much of a boost from this recent Super Bowl. As time goes on context gets hazy and it might start to help more and more, but right now people seemingly understand what he was, how much of a role he played, and attribute that all fairly towards his legacy (that is: he was bad and they mostly won despite him). I'd imagine the buzz around Duncan would be similar in the short term. I don't think they're perfect parallels but it works.

Not all rings are created equal, and most people get that.

Tony_Starks
05-04-2016, 12:02 PM
The Duncan that I am watching in these playoffs is basically a non factor.

This is playing against a OKC with horrible ball movement.

What shall happen if they face the Warriors small ball lineup?

Its hard for me to believe he will have a positive impact, he'll more than likely be on the pine.

kdspurman
05-04-2016, 12:12 PM

I think it depends on how he performs in the finals. It obviously wouldn't be a finals mvp level, but even in his 5th title run, he performed at a high level.

But it probably won't change much where he is in terms of all time rankings

Ty Fast
05-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Cuz he's 1000 year old. Plus he's only making 5.5 million and not the max.

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2016, 04:09 PM

Thanks Chronz! ;-) Much appreciated!

LA_Raiders
05-04-2016, 05:08 PM
He is old as ****, but he is better than a lot of role PF/C, so he still contributes a little. This should be his last season.

JasonJohnHorn
05-05-2016, 09:20 AM
he is old as ****, but he is better than a lot of role pf/c, so he still contributes a little. This should be his last season.

two! More! Years!!two! More! Years!!two! More! Years!!two! More! Years!!two! More! Years!!

D-Leethal
05-05-2016, 09:48 AM

He isn't a rim protector, he cuts off lanes before they have a chance to get to the rim. That's why I said "positioning", its more important than rim protection. Rim protection is a last resort, solid positioning clogs lanes before the opponent can get to the rim. Not flashy but effective.

Scoots
05-05-2016, 10:40 AM
He isn't a rim protector, he cuts off lanes before they have a chance to get to the rim. That's why I said "positioning", its more important than rim protection. Rim protection is a last resort, solid positioning clogs lanes before the opponent can get to the rim. Not flashy but effective.

Not only that, positioning causes the offense to not even try to penetrate after a while if every time the try someone is there.

SPURSFAN1
05-06-2016, 03:00 AM
Some of these responses are a joke.

sep11ie
05-06-2016, 04:05 AM
Cause he signed a contract for 5 million a year and accepted his lesser role like a true pro and team player.

hugepatsfan
05-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Yeah like others have said he's just a role player now. He's not the star of the team anymore. He gets credit for being a solid backup big, which is a great accomplishment at 40 years old. Yeah in the playoffs his % is down a little bit but not drastic. We're talking about a 6 game sample size for a guy who takes 5 shots a game. Not really enough to make any judgements on. OP pointed out that he's under 50%... he's 13 for 28. If one of his misses went in he'd be shooting 50%. That's how sensative stats are over such a small sample size. Same thing goes for plus/minus. Way too small of a sample size to really gain anything from it. He's an effective role player now as he's proved over the course of the year.

SanAntonioSpurs23
05-07-2016, 01:44 PM
"Until the wheels fall off".

I'm just enjoying seeing Duncan and Manu play because I'm sure this is the end to thier amazing careers. It's been one hell of a ride!!

ewing
05-07-2016, 02:12 PM
"Until the wheels fall off".

I'm just enjoying seeing Duncan and Manu play because I'm sure this is the end to thier amazing careers. It's been one hell of a ride!!

when are you guys going to try and reload at the guard spots? I thought Corey was keeper and thought Hill was one before him- though you turned him into a pot of gold :)

Redrum187
05-07-2016, 05:33 PM
He isn't getting paid 25+ million a year to rot away and kill team chemistry. He has accepted his role player play quite well and is paid pennies on the dollar. What kind of pass are we talking about exactly?

kdspurman
05-07-2016, 05:46 PM
when are you guys going to try and reload at the guard spots? I thought Corey was keeper and thought Hill was one before him- though you turned him into a pot of gold :)

Who knows... I'm sure they have something in mind. I don't worry about that stuff cause their FO and scouting is second to none.

A lot depends on what TD and Manu do. Maybe they could get a guy like Conley, who knows lol

Chronz
05-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Who knows... I'm sure they have something in mind. I don't worry about that stuff cause their FO and scouting is second to none.

A lot depends on what TD and Manu do. Maybe they could get a guy like Conley, who knows lol

Parker thought you guys were done like 5 years ago. The Spurs TRIED to trade him and realized they werent getting close enough to equal value. It seemed like they were going to throw in the towel and then Kawhi lands on your lap. I laud their ability to develop talent more than their draft scouting. Their scouting within the NBA is also elite but every team eventually goes through a lull. Watch, in 10 more years you may finally experience one.

Just imagine if they had trade TP (do you remember who they were targeting)?

Conley would be SICK tho.

ewing
05-07-2016, 06:33 PM

LMA takes a lot of the pressure off your guards but the fact that you guys really don't have any quick guys that break down D anymore is the one hole i see in the Spurs. They often make up for it by creating with the pass better then anyone but if i were a Spurs faith i would have the same faith you do. the Spurs are special

kdspurman
05-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Parker thought you guys were done like 5 years ago. The Spurs TRIED to trade him and realized they werent getting close enough to equal value. It seemed like they were going to throw in the towel and then Kawhi lands on your lap. I laud their ability to develop talent more than their draft scouting. Their scouting within the NBA is also elite but every team eventually goes through a lull. Watch, in 10 more years you may finally experience one.

Just imagine if they had trade TP (do you remember who they were targeting)?

I vaguely remember trade rumors with the Knicks and Parker. There was another team but I don't recall too.

Their development is great, but I mean they scouted Kawhi. They knew what they wanted, but his development has been great. It's been a few years since they brought someone from overseas, feels like it'll probably happen soon again lol.

I recall one rumor (don't think there was much substance to it) that had Parker being traded for like Wilson Chandler and Felton. I was all in for that, cause we had RJ starting at the 3.

But yea Parker did say he didn't feel they could call themselves contenders, and he was right. Then Kawhi came and gave new life.I would've loved to keep Joseph, but that's the cost of going after LMA.

kdspurman
05-07-2016, 06:49 PM
LMA takes a lot of the pressure off your guards but the fact that you guys really don't have any quick guys that break down D anymore is the one hole i see in the Spurs. They often make up for it by creating with the pass better then anyone but if i were a Spurs faith i would have the same faith you do. the Spurs are special

Parker is still capable of doing it though in spurts. He still shows signs of that burst, of getting to the rim. I think he just plays within the flow of the game. That's why Kawhi handling the ball more is important cause he can blow by most guys and there's been some occasions it's like a rOle reversal.

Kawhi will drive and suck the defense in, and find Parker or Mills for a corner 3. It's just about having versatile players who can do multiple things.

But I would agree a backup PG will probably be on the list of needs, and a backup 2. Simmons and Anderson look like they could be solid, but we'll see.

Chronz
05-07-2016, 06:56 PM
I vaguely remember trade rumors with the Knicks and Parker. There was another team but I don't recall too.

Their development is great, but I mean they scouted Kawhi. They knew what they wanted, but his development has been great. It's been a few years since they brought someone from overseas, feels like it'll probably happen soon again lol.

I recall one rumor (don't think there was much substance to it) that had Parker being traded for like Wilson Chandler and Felton. I was all in for that, cause we had RJ starting at the 3.

But yea Parker did say he didn't feel they could call themselves contenders, and he was right. Then Kawhi came and gave new life.I would've loved to keep Joseph, but that's the cost of going after LMA.

Yeah, I thought it was the Knicks. Jesus, first TP then Lowry. I wonder how differently life goes if they were somewhat competent.

ewing
05-07-2016, 07:31 PM
ust imagine if they had trade TP (do you remember who they were targeting)?

Yeah he said Conley and I was like oh so that's what's going to happen. ****ing spurs.

kdspurman
05-07-2016, 07:48 PM
^and Marc Gasol said he thinks Pau will come to the Spurs. Pau had his chance but chose Chicago, but I wonder if he'd do it.

I guess we'll see what happens this summer. Got a bigger task at hand now of course

europagnpilgrim
05-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Duncan is considered by media and fanatics to be the greatest PF all time ever so I think its really just a showing of highest respect by a humble superstar now in his extreme twilight super career

its not like he demanded touches/shots like old because he know its not in his tool box to do it like the old days

they wont dare treat him like The Answer who got disrespected highly at the end of his superstar career

I wouldn't call it a pass because he hasn't been the 02' or 07' version in past 5 years, he just defied father time based on his game wasn't built on the super athletic ability, same as K Bryant, more fundamental skill

K Bryant got a pass also and just kept his same mentality since his younger days, gun away and score as much as possible while trying to win, but his impact wasn't the same but still kept doing what he does regardless of the team built around him, Duncan is doing it in a team version way to maintain title contention while suffering individual stats, which he didn't care about no way from beginning to now

Chronz
05-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Who has more left in the tank, Duncan or Pau? Likely Pau but does he give them what they need from their role playing bigs? He provides neither the spacing nor the defense but hes still a high IQ player and could easily replace West's role as the nominal big.

kdspurman
05-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Who has more left in the tank, Duncan or Pau? Likely Pau but does he give them what they need from their role playing bigs? He provides neither the spacing nor the defense but hes still a high IQ player and could easily replace West's role as the nominal big.

Yea... I'd pass personally. It was like 2 years ago or 3 he passed on us.

I want more Boban personally. I know he'll never get big minutes, but he's very skilled. Time to develop him

D-Leethal
05-07-2016, 11:07 PM

If I remember correctly there was a lot of chatter around pairing Parker with Amare and D'Antoni during the 2010 FA bonanza.

kdspurman
05-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Also, if all the stuff mentioned wasn't enough, he just hasnt been the same since his knee injury back in January.

Sportsguy9695
05-08-2016, 09:21 AM

everything u said its true. and its too bad cause I like duncan alot. he was a clas acot on and off the court. it will be a sad day for me when he hangs it up. if he does retire after this year i wouldnt be surprised. im sure he will get back into the game somehow maybe in management

kdspurman
05-08-2016, 09:31 AM
If I remember correctly there was a lot of chatter around pairing Parker with Amare and D'Antoni during the 2010 FA bonanza.

Haha, yea that was it. Parker probably would've done well under D'antonI. NY would've been the place he played if it wasn't SA imo. He likes the NYC scene

Tony_Starks
05-09-2016, 09:39 AM

On his very worst day I can't see Pau putting up a donut like Duncan did last night.

No points, no shot attempts?

4 fouls in 12 minutes?

He's giving them nothing aside from setting screens.

kdspurman
05-09-2016, 10:19 AM
On his very worst day I can't see Pau putting up a donut like Duncan did last night.

No points, no shot attempts?

4 fouls in 12 minutes?

He's giving them nothing aside from setting screens.

His role is limited. It's not to score the ball at this point. How much does he get paid? His salary isn't killing the Spurs or anything. Again... He's 40. He had a knee injury a few months back and hasn't looked the same since. He still rebounds/defends/sets screens. His Role Is Limited... (BTW, Pau had a 1 point game in 24 minutes earlier this season, just FYI)

Now if he was out there forcing shots, and not playing defense, and made a ton of $, then I could see a reason to say he's "getting a pass", but that just isn't that case here. Think about the numbers Duncan was putting up against the Clips last year in that 7 game series.

Game 7, he tallied 27 points, 11 rebounds and 11-16 shooting. That sums up a series where he averaged 18 points on 59 percent shooting and 11 rebounds, three assists and a block.

What's changed since then? He got some more help, thus he doesn't have to do that stuff anymore, and a knee injury that has surely affected his play/already limited mobility.

He is letting LMA/Kawhi carry the load offensively. He's selfless and should be an example for other future aging superstars with an ego.

Tony_Starks
05-09-2016, 11:37 AM
His role is limited. It's not to score the ball at this point. How much does he get paid? His salary isn't killing the Spurs or anything. Again... He's 40. He had a knee injury a few months back and hasn't looked the same since. He still rebounds/defends/sets screens. His Role Is Limited... (BTW, Pau had a 1 point game in 24 minutes earlier this season, just FYI)

Now if he was out there forcing shots, and not playing defense, and made a ton of $, then I could see a reason to say he's "getting a pass", but that just isn't that case here. Think about the numbers Duncan was putting up against the Clips last year in that 7 game series.

What's changed since then? He got some more help, thus he doesn't have to do that stuff anymore, and a knee injury that has surely affected his play/already limited mobility.

He is letting LMA/Kawhi carry the load offensively. He's selfless and should be an example for other future aging superstars with an ego.

I get that his role is limited but in both loses he has a combined 2 points. That's including the nearly 30 minutes he played in game 2. Nobody expects him to put up big scoring numbers but he's not even a threat out there.

Then as far as defense is concerned last game he damn near fouled out in 12 minutes.

So pretend it's not Duncan and your starting PF is giving you no offense, rebounds, or defense wouldn't you say he's hurting you even in a limited role?

It's one thing to be selfless but you still need to contribute.

kdspurman
05-09-2016, 11:41 AM
I get that his role is limited but in both loses he has a combined 2 points. That's including the nearly 30 game 2. Nobody expects him to put up big scoring numbers but he's not even a threat out there.

Then as far as defense is concerned last game he damn near fouled out in 12 minutes.

So pretend it's not Duncan and your starting PF is giving you no offense, rebounds, or defense wouldn't you say he's hurting you even in a limited role?

Splitter would have games like that, but he wasn't hurting us. Green has games like that, but he's doing things defensively.

To say he is giving no defense is just false man. I know so me nights he looks slow, but he still is contesting shots at the rim when he's in there. 1 of those fouls on him btw was nonsense, it was a clean block.

Tony_Starks
05-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Splitter would have games like that, but he wasn't hurting us. Green has games like that, but he's doing things defensively.

To say he is giving no defense is just false man. I know so me nights he looks slow, but he still is contesting shots at the rim when he's in there. 1 of those fouls on him btw was nonsense, it was a clean block.

I'm just not seeing what you're seeing, no offense. And I have no ill will for Timmy, he's definitely one of the best I've ever witnessed.

I'm watching a guy that is finished, you can't tell me that if they lose this series his total lack of tangible production won't be a significant factor.

kdspurman
05-09-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm just not seeing what you're seeing, no offense. And I have no ill will for Timmy, he's definitely one of the best I've ever witnessed.

I'm watching a guy that is finished, you can't tell me that if they lose this series his total lack of tangible production won't be a significant factor.

Not at all. Like I said, he's been dealing with a knee issue since January. They've been able to play at a high level with him giving little box score production.

If they lose this series, it's not on him at all. Just like if they win this series he wouldn't be the 1 getting all the praises. (unless he had a throwback game in a series clinching win) It works both ways

IndyRealist
05-09-2016, 02:52 PM
I get that his role is limited but in both loses he has a combined 2 points. That's including the nearly 30 minutes he played in game 2. Nobody expects him to put up big scoring numbers but he's not even a threat out there.

It's one thing to be selfless but you still need to contribute.

Spurs have the 3rd best offense this season. It's hard to justify "Duncan is hurting the team by not scoring".

D-Leethal
05-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Why would anyone blame Duncan for lack of raw production when they haven't relied on him for raw production all year and won 67 games?