PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Kids to postgame press conference: Yay or Nay?

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2016, 10:36 PM
It's cute and all, and I understand why the players want to do it. Honestly, it's not a big deal to me when the finals are over, but I feel like it could potentially inhibit the process.

If, for example, a reporter wants to ask about an injury, or a poor performance, or perhaps a match-up issues, or anything that might be perceived as disparaging or critical of the father, I feel like the presence of the child may change the direction of the questioning.

I don't think press conferences are a huge part of the game, but I do like to watch them from time to time, and I feel like this trend can get in the way, even if it is well intended.

FlashBolt
05-02-2016, 10:41 PM
It should be a NO at all times. It's unprofessional. I get that it's cute just like everyone else but reporters are there to do their jobs and athletes should respect that. It also drives attention away from the game itself. I don't want to see a player laughing it up with their child after they lost a game.

IBleedPurple
05-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Nay! It's f'n annoying.

Scoots
05-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Nay.

I don't think it matters too much because the press on average seems to love it.

Then again, I don't watch the press conferences because they are essentially totally meaningless anyhow.

ewing
05-02-2016, 10:56 PM
No

Saddletramp
05-02-2016, 11:04 PM
No. Answer your questions then get out. It's annoying.

Phantom Dreamer
05-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Nay. It's a cheap ploy to deflect attention. Sorry Riley Curry.

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2016, 11:22 PM
I feel like after winning a championship, when you are on that high, and you want to share it with your family... that is the one and only exception I can make. But the rest of the time I think it is unprofessional. I mean... what are you going to do next? Bring your wife out? Have her complain about the officiating? Bring your parents out?

Part of me feels like being a good father, and being present is important. And this can serve as a kind of role model for younger guys out there. It is especially good image wise in the face of guys like Shawn Kemp and Dwight Howard who have public battles over child support. If it good for the image of the league. And it is also nice to see in the wake of hearing how many athlete fathers are, through necessity, absent (see the Doc/Austin relationship).

But still.... I find it inhibits the press conference.

pacofunk64
05-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Nope...should be in the policy from the get go. I get why as I have kids but I don't think any of us have that opportunity unless its a special event of sorts. Its part of the job duties.

IndyRealist
05-02-2016, 11:52 PM
They should be in bed.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 01:17 AM
I believe we have a consensus. The nays have it.

Saddletramp
05-03-2016, 02:21 AM
I remember last year that a lot of people around here were cool with it when little Riley Curry was cutin' it up. Guess things changed.

naps
05-03-2016, 05:09 AM
Dont like it. But then again I dont watch much of it anyways. I catch up with Wade sometimes and Greg Popovich. That's about it.

DboneG
05-03-2016, 08:01 AM
No.

But, the NBA has always been on the forefront in doing things. This is one of them. What major sport other than basketball bring their kids to the playing field? Kids are watching the game. Kids play the game...kids love to see kids interacting with their favorite players. They need to find a balance. Maybe allow one child a visit to the press conference during the playoff series, if the player wants to. You see kids on the court before and after the game running up and getting a hug. Is anything wrong with that? D-Rose have his son on the court all the time when he's working out. Kobe was with Joe "Jellybean" Bryant everywhere he went. I think Kobe wouldn't be Kobe if not for that. The way it's set up right now.... no. But, they need to find a balance. To be totally honest...the players don't want to do a press conference. It's the NBA that make the guys accessible to the press after the game. They rather go home.

warfelg
05-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Yay.

I think what's been a big part of the NBA resurgence has been their family friendly image. Letting players take kids to their press conference was a big part of that.

Ariza's Better
05-03-2016, 09:25 AM
No. Over it. let's try and make post game confrences a little less meaningless.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2016, 11:18 AM
They should be in bed.

that is the first thing I think when I see a 3 year old at a press conference at 10pm at night. What the hell is that kid doing up?

rhino17
05-03-2016, 11:21 AM
don't care, press conferences aren't substantive to begin with so it really makes no difference

KnicksorBust
05-03-2016, 11:23 AM
I thought I was gonna sound like the grumpy old man here glad to see the majority is "nay."

Hawkeye15
05-03-2016, 11:30 AM
quick question:

Do any of you actually watch the press conferences?

KnicksorBust
05-03-2016, 11:50 AM
quick question:

Great question. I probably watch 2%-5% of press conferences. The percentage increasing exponentially as the rounds change.

ewing
05-03-2016, 11:52 AM
quick question:

I do sometimes. If my team was good enough to make the playoffs i would always watch when they played. I don't like seeing women or children at all when i am watching sports. I especially don't like to see athletes using there kids at pressers to sell there image. Don't these ****ers have enough $ without that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdaD0WyzA-k

IndyRealist
05-03-2016, 11:55 AM
quick question:

League Pass cuts off immediately after the game, so only in the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2016, 12:03 PM
I do sometimes. If my team was good enough to make the playoffs i would always watch when they played. I don't like seeing women or children at all when i am watching sports. I especially don't like to see athletes using there kids at pressers to sell there image. Don't these ****ers have enough $ without that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdaD0WyzA-k

so no women, no children. You are like Leon, the Professional

Scoots
05-03-2016, 12:04 PM
quick question:

I don't. But apparently some people do. I know one guy in the press corps who would rather be finishing up his piece rather than sit through a bunch of platitudes, but he has to be there just in case something happens.

They are the easiest way the NBA has of regulating post game access so they are not going anywhere soon, but my guess is they will get shorter in time.

spreadeagle
05-03-2016, 12:25 PM
I Find it super annoying, its like oh look! the kid is saying gah gah gooo goo into the mic how cute!!! gimme a break lol , championship presser I can see but thats it

Tony_Starks
05-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Allen Iverson was the first to do this btw.

And I'm only for it of they are in the Finals.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Allen Iverson was the first to do this btw.

And I'm only for it of they are in the Finals.

I would be stunned if AI was the first to have a kid at a press conference. It probably happened in the 1930s or something.

TheMightyHumph
05-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Not a fan of children. People should stop creating them.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Great question. I probably watch 2%-5% of press conferences. The percentage increasing exponentially as the rounds change.

It's a good thing there are not more rounds then, you'd find yourself watching all of them and that would be terrible.

FlashBolt
05-03-2016, 04:15 PM
The thing is, I think it's only the people who care enough about basketball that doesn't like it. The majority of casual fans are probably enjoying any attention that makes it into headlines.

MavsUCCB
05-03-2016, 05:32 PM
It might annoy you but at the end of the day it's a 6 year old at a press conference and for the most part you only see it when the team wins.
I would love to see a member of the media ask a question though that makes players think twice about bringing their kids to the press conference.
"When you got that technical, what exactly did you say to the ref and would you repeat it in front of your kid?"

rhymeratic
05-03-2016, 06:07 PM
I need a player like JR Smith to have a chance at the podium. I know he would bring one of his "rotation" GF's.... would be the greatest thing ever!

TrueFan420
05-04-2016, 12:58 PM
I wish they'd stop asking them question directly after the game while their still on the court. Like damn... Let the man go shower and change before you start harrassing him.

Sportsguy9695
05-04-2016, 01:07 PM
I think it is very unprofessional when they bring there kids to press conferences. Kind of like you don't bring your kid to work. They shouldn't bring there kids to work. Press conferences are part of there jobs. But I do understand if they bring kids,wife etc after winning a title. Letting them come enjoy the winning I have no problem but only after they win a championship

Laker Legend42
05-05-2016, 12:58 AM
I say yay. Basketball players have a bad rap for not taking care of their kids. It's time to change the perception. There are a lot of guys in the NBA that love and take care of their kids. Would you rather see a young gut with money being hands on with his kids or would you rather see lil Wayne pour champagne on a cell phone to show ( in his words) how rich and care free he is. There are enough rich and care free bafoons for us to see. Why not show some rich responsible fathers and no one get bent out of shape over it.

FlashBolt
05-05-2016, 01:06 AM
I say yay. Basketball players have a bad rap for not taking care of their kids. It's time to change the perception. There are a lot of guys in the NBA that love and take care of their kids. Would you rather see a young gut with money being hands on with his kids or would you rather see lil Wayne pour champagne on a cell phone to show ( in his words) how rich and care free he is. There are enough rich and care free bafoons for us to see. Why not show some rich responsible fathers and no one get bent out of shape over it.

Might as well make a McDonald's playpen for them during the post conference

Laker Legend42
05-05-2016, 01:14 AM
Might as well make a McDonald's playpen for them during the post conference

Call me crazy but I kinda like seeing dads interacting with their kids.

kobe4thewinbang
05-05-2016, 02:10 AM
Well, the players get to unwind a bit, but I think they're confusing the time and place boundary. That should be after the game and before the press conference and then after that. Not during the press conference. I can't take my kid to work to be with me during my performance evaluation, can I?

Plus, I heard Lowry shoo away reporters criticizing DeMar "30 Shots" Brya--I mean, DeRozan for "emptying the clip" which is kind of a disturbing image. I'm surprised Lowry didn't get fined for that comment after the Gilbert Arenas gun incident and the general "don't look like a thug" dress code mandate.

I totally agree with what Lowry said, even though it doesn't hurt to pass once shoot next repeat, but to describe it as DeRozan (from Compton) emptying the clip is a poor choice.

eso
05-05-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm taking my kids to my next board meeting to see how that goes down.

DboneG
05-05-2016, 08:26 AM
I'm taking my kids to my next board meeting to see how that goes down.

You went a bit extreme with your comparison. A sports team press conference and a business board meeting is like comparing apples to oranges. A board meeting may have some importance to it. There's nothing important about a sports press conference.

Laker Legend42
05-05-2016, 04:50 PM
You went a bit extreme with your comparison. A sports team press conference and a business board meeting is like comparing apples to oranges. A board meeting may have some importance to it. There's nothing important about a sports press conference.

Exactly. A post game press conference is an informal affair in which they are talking about a game. No way can you compare the two.