PDA

View Full Version : Will Stephen Curry leave the Warriors after the 2017 season ?

sf-fanatic
05-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Everyone seems to talk about Lebron James FA status a year before he reaches free agency. Don't see many people talking about Curry yet and hes due to become a FA after 2017. It might be assumed that he will max out with the Warriors.

I'm sure every team that has the cap space will be a suitor, but does he even reach FA or think there is a slight chance he leaves the Warriors ?

FYI, the Warriors 2017 FA's are Bogut, Iggy, Curry, and Livingston.

I think he extends with the Warriors especially with Klay extended to 2019 and Green to 2020.

Htownballa1622
05-02-2016, 07:13 PM
It's assumed.

I dont think he can leave to a better situation. Of course he can make every other situation better, but I think this is the perfect fit for him.

.01% chance he leaves.

Scoots
05-02-2016, 07:15 PM
I think he's staying. I heard something I can't attribute any real weight to that he gets more from UA if he stays in the bay, and he's said all the right things.

We just have to wait and see.

numba1CHANGsta
05-02-2016, 07:21 PM
He's gonna leave and join LeBron in CLE LOL

NYJ - NYY
05-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Come to NY [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Did Bird leave the Celtics? Did Magic leave the Lakers? Did Jordan leave the Bulls during their dynasty?

The Warriors have a very real chance at a three-peat. I'm not sure why a player would want to leave a situation like the one Curry is in where he is in his prime, and he has a couple of slightly younger players like Klay and Dray in their prime, set to carry on a dynasty to the better part of a decade. Why leave a good thing that is working for one that might not? So long as a max deal is on the table.

Maybe something happens between now and then. But there would have to be something catastrophic.

lol, please
05-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Did Bird leave the Celtics? Did Magic leave the Lakers? Did Jordan leave the Bulls during their dynasty?

The Warriors have a very real chance at a three-peat. I'm not sure why a player would want to leave a situation like the one Curry is in where he is in his prime, and he has a couple of slightly younger players like Klay and Dray in their prime, set to carry on a dynasty to the better part of a decade. Why leave a good thing that is working for one that might not? So long as a max deal is on the table.

Maybe something happens between now and then. But there would have to be something catastrophic.

:clap: that's /thread

giantspwn
05-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Almost no chance he leaves.

He's playing on a potential dynasty team with teammates that he's really close with. Besides he and his family seem extremely close with the whole entirety of the organization. There's a deeper respect and admiration after all of ing withhis ankle issues, with Warriors drafting him and stick him through the rough times.

Only glimmer of a chance he'd leave could be to go home and play for Charlotte.

Ty Fast
05-02-2016, 10:55 PM
He'll go to Miami

Saddletramp
05-02-2016, 11:14 PM
No idea why he would leave unless he sees the help (Bogut/Iggy/Barnes/Ezeli/Speights) leave and not replaced by the right guys, Lacomb says some more disparaging stuff and if he really wants to lead the Hornets.

I honestly think he stays in GS his whole next contract and then he'll maybe try to finish his career in Charlotte if they're even slightly competitive on his last contract.

I think he's staying. I heard something I can't attribute any real weight to that he gets more from UA if he stays in the bay, and he's said all the right things.

We just have to wait and see.

I really hate how these huge endorsements have affected some things. And I think a "Bay Area Bonus" should be frowned upon by the NBA. And yeah, I'm sure others get the same with a "NYC/LA/Chicago Bonus". Doesn't seem right.

TheNumber37
05-02-2016, 11:32 PM
He's gonna stay for a discount of 150 mil for 6 years.

Curry has a chance to be the best Warrior of all time. Get that statue out front Steph

MygirlhatesCod
05-02-2016, 11:57 PM
steph is not going anywhere! with the klay and green signings and them being the best team ever assembled, i dont know why or what would be better to go to.

beasted86
05-03-2016, 01:54 AM
Steph Curry is going to set the NBA record for a contract.

GS better make sure they are willing to pay the luxury.

beasted86
05-03-2016, 02:00 AM
steph is not going anywhere! with the klay and green signings and them being the best team ever assembled, i dont know why or what would be better to go to.

The team that offers the right contract?

It's not a given that the Warriors are willing to pay him $35M+ even though he's been heavily underpaid on this current contract. You never know what could happen. The perfect storm could brew where they try and pitch him on legacy while offering high 20s as if "he'll just take it, he wants to play here". At the end of the day his contract will be uninsured for ankle injuries, so there is some legitimate risk giving him the max.

eDush
05-03-2016, 10:03 AM
The team that offers the right contract?

It's not a given that the Warriors are willing to pay him $35M+ even though he's been heavily underpaid on this current contract. You never know what could happen. The perfect storm could brew where they try and pitch him on legacy while offering high 20s as if "he'll just take it, he wants to play here". At the end of the day his contract will be uninsured for ankle injuries, so there is some legitimate risk giving him the max.
It is a given or I will never post on here again. It's a sure thing he get his super duper max like Barnes getting his standard max next year starting at 21.9 mil per from 6 teams who will fight over him. The Warriors want to keep the starting unit in tact and I promise you Curry will be offered the Max by the Warriors!
:dance:

eDush
05-03-2016, 10:07 AM
And the fact he's been underpaid is the biggest reason why they won't offer him any discount, not even a penny less as they will insist Curry takes the maximum possible allowed. If anyone think the Warriors will ask if he take a home town discount, I never post on this board again.

beasted86
05-03-2016, 10:21 AM
And the fact he's been underpaid is the biggest reason why they won't offer him any discount, not even a penny less as they will insist Curry takes the maximum possible allowed. If anyone think the Warriors will ask if he take a home town discount, I never post on this board again.

Well its easy to assume all of this now and be confident under the static beliefs the cap is still rising and the CBA will continue as is.

But you don't know where the cap will be or what the next CBA negotiations will do to the league. The biggest problem is the cap is projected to rise to $107M that year when he's due for a new contract, but it's also projected to actually fall under $100M again the next summer.

Like I said, Curry will have an uninsured contract for any ankle injury. If they pay Barnes the max, combined with Thompson and Green that's a lot of payroll for those 3 alone. At $107M, his starting year max @ 30% of the cap for an 8 year player is $32.1M and rising. So, I don't believe it's a given they will pay him this much on an uninsured ankle and a falling salary cap. It's probable, but not a lock.

The final year of that contract he's probably making $37M at age 33-34. If teams are getting projections the cap will not only fall once in 2018/19 but again in 19/20, it could be a nightmare cap-wise.

eDush
05-03-2016, 10:54 AM

Well its easy to assume all of this now and be confident under the static beliefs the cap is still rising and the CBA will continue as is.

But you don't know where the cap will be or what the next CBA negotiations will do to the league. The biggest problem is the cap is projected to rise to $107M that year when he's due for a new contract, but it's also projected to actually fall under $100M again the next summer.

Like I said, Curry will have an uninsured contract for any ankle injury. If they pay Barnes the max, combined with Thompson and Green that's a lot of payroll for those 3 alone. At $107M, his starting year max @ 30% of the cap for an 8 year player is $32.1M and rising. So, I don't believe it's a given they will pay him this much on an uninsured ankle and a falling salary cap. It's probable, but not a lock.

The final year of that contract he's probably making $37M at age 33-34. If teams are getting projections the cap will not only fall once in 2018/19 but again in 19/20, it could be a nightmare cap-wise.That's the difference between you and the Warriors. Winning championships and making history is the only thing that matters. They don't care about saving money as oppose to giving what their fan base wants so they will pay him and the lux tax that goes with it. You care about money instead of winning like Donald Sterling paying for the cheapest coaches and having the lower payroll until the last CBA force all cheap owners to pay up to the cap so he had no choice. That sounds like you right?

You should know this as a Heat fan and must love the Bosh re-signing which didn't make sense to me at the time he sign it. He's an elite center and Rileyneeded to give the money to someone per CBA as they were way under the cap so might as well keep him I suppose :laugh2:

eDush
05-03-2016, 11:01 AM

Curry has a chance to be the best Warrior of all time. Get that statue out front StephFor a discount of 150 mil? ...if he gets 150 mil, that sound like a full max and more money then any single contract signed in the history of the NBA.

:dance:

KnicksorBust
05-03-2016, 11:27 AM
With two other top 20 players locked up they will be the best team every season until 2020. Plus it's obvious he will get the max. No reason to leave. Plus you can tell these guys love playing with each other.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 11:44 AM

Hah!. I accept. Goodbye eDush. I think they will ask. It's been nice having you around.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 11:46 AM
That's the difference between you and the Warriors. Winning championships and making history is the only thing that matters. They don't care about saving money as oppose to giving what their fan base wants so they will pay him and the lux tax that goes with it. You care about money instead of winning like Donald Sterling paying for the cheapest coaches and having the lower payroll until the last CBA force all cheap owners to pay up to the cap so he had no choice. That sounds like you right?

You should know this as a Heat fan and must love the Bosh re-signing which didn't make sense to me at the time he sign it. He's an elite center and Rileyneeded to give the money to someone per CBA as they were way under the cap so might as well keep him I suppose :laugh2:

Hey! No more posting! Multiple people believe the Warriors will ask for less than the max. You said you would never post again. Are you not a man of your word?

KnicksorBust
05-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Hah!. I accept. Goodbye eDush. I think they will ask. It's been nice having you around.

He's right they shouldn't... The interesting wrinkle in this is that any amount of money he saves them in the salary cap makes them slightly more likely to have a quality roster around him and therefore a better chance to win the title. Star players that win rings often make a lot more money off the court because of it... Is it possible the trade off to win more rings and elevate his brand makes him MORE money than if he took a max?

Scoots
05-03-2016, 12:13 PM
He's right they shouldn't... The interesting wrinkle in this is that any amount of money he saves them in the salary cap makes them slightly more likely to have a quality roster around him and therefore a better chance to win the title. Star players that win rings often make a lot more money off the court because of it... Is it possible the trade off to win more rings and elevate his brand makes him MORE money than if he took a max?

Curry on the Warriors became the face of Under Armour, and the WSJ estimated Curry is worth $14B to UA. Curry is not going to be needing money. The team will pay him whatever he wants, but they will ABSOLUTELY talk to him about taking less to help his team and his brand in the long run.

And unfortunately for us that means no more eDush :(

europagnpilgrim
05-03-2016, 12:17 PM
He's going home to Charlotte if he does decide to leave the Bay

Scoots
05-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot :dance:

eDush
05-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Hah!. I accept. Goodbye eDush. I think they will ask. It's been nice having you around.They as in the top FO decision makers deep in Warriors HQ like Lacob, West, top dogs like that. And I would want proof so you will need to send a mole to one of his business charity functions and record it before that happens. If you can prove it before Curry signs his mega contract, I will never post on PSD ever again but just stay on to read their great articles that PSD is known for. If you can't, you can't post for one week during next season and I even let you pick the week beforehand when you go on vacation or something. See how nice I am on my bets Scoots unlike Stylez :nod:

PhillyFaninLA
05-03-2016, 01:10 PM
I can't imagine why he would leave

MygirlhatesCod
05-03-2016, 01:32 PM

The final year of that contract he's probably making $37M at age 33-34. If teams are getting projections the cap will not only fall once in 2018/19 but again in 19/20, it could be a nightmare cap-wise.

how do you know that? do you think his last contract was like that?

Scoots
05-03-2016, 01:55 PM
They as in the top FO decision makers deep in Warriors HQ like Lacob, West, top dogs like that. And I would want proof so you will need to send a mole to one of his business charity functions and record it before that happens. If you can prove it before Curry signs his mega contract, I will never post on PSD ever again but just stay on to read their great articles that PSD is known for. If you can't, you can't post for one week during next season and I even let you pick the week beforehand when you go on vacation or something. See how nice I am on my bets Scoots unlike Stylez :nod:

Okay, glossing over the part where you said "If anyone" which would certainly include everybody on PSD. You also said "think" and I can guarantee you that everybody involved will think about asking Curry to take less than the max. But that's not what you meant because you followed up "If anyone think" with "the Warriors", as in a group OTHER than the aforementioned "anyone". And in your response to me you start with "they" but the sentence with the proposal doesn't mention "they", you are just grabbing at straws. Done.

You made a flat declaration and have lost. Pay up.

You are not only trying to weasel out of it you've decided that somehow I've agreed to leave?

I don't expect a response as you are an honorable man.

likemystylez
05-03-2016, 02:27 PM

hahaha, they said theyd be willing to pay luxury if the team had a chance to compete for a championship- they better be willing to pay it if the team has a chance to compete for the best team in history.

curry is the most popular player in the nba.... he is worth every penny of a max deal and the luxury it might entail.

Saddletramp
05-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Curry on the Warriors became the face of Under Armour, and the WSJ estimated Curry is worth $14B to UA. Curry is not going to be needing money. The team will pay him whatever he wants, but they will ABSOLUTELY talk to him about taking less to help his team and his brand in the long run.

That's becoming a problem in all of pro sports. Salaries in most teams are uncapped but endorsements aren't. "Hey Steph, we'll cover the difference for you and anyone you want." Pretty soon it'll be NYC/LA/Bay Area as the only markets that'll.matter and the smaller market teams really won't have a chance. And when the Internet guys get bored of winning in these sports they'll move on and it'll just be NYC/LA.

American sports look like they're going to be reeeeeaaaaal fun in the future.

And unfortunately for us that means no more eDush :(

Unfortunately? eDush will be on a self ban anyway because he said Hiward won't make the HoF. That's years away, though. He also bet his account on something else lately but I forgot.

eDush
05-03-2016, 02:42 PM
They as in the top FO decision makers deep in Warriors HQ like Lacob, West, top dogs like that. And I would want proof so you will need to send a mole to one of his business charity functions and record it before that happens. If you can prove it before Curry signs his mega contract, I will never post on PSD ever again but just stay on to read their great articles that PSD is known for. If you can't, you can't post for one week during next season and I even let you pick the week beforehand when you go on vacation or something. See how nice I am on my bets Scoots unlike Stylez :nod:

Okay, glossing over the part where you said "If anyone" which would certainly include everybody on PSD. You also said "think" and I can guarantee you that everybody involved will think about asking Curry to take less than the max. But that's not what you meant because you followed up "If anyone think" with "the Warriors", as in a group OTHER than the aforementioned "anyone". And in your response to me you start with "they" but the sentence with the proposal doesn't mention "they", you are just grabbing at straws. Done.

You made a flat declaration and have lost. Pay up.

You are not only trying to weasel out of it you've decided that somehow I've agreed to leave?

I don't expect a response as you are an honorable man.Hey i am typing all of this on a tiny iphone 4 with an incriminating built in spell checker from hell and I am an Android guy so I can't wait to upgrade to a Note 6 once it comes out. Yes, my Note 5 was stolen and I didn't pay insurance :crying:

I deserve some leeway here okay :(

Scoots
05-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Hey i am typing all of this on a tiny iphone 4 with an incriminating built in spell checker from hell and I am an Android guy so I can't wait to upgrade to a Note 6 once it comes out. Yes, my Note 5 was stolen and I didn't pay insurance :crying:

I deserve some leeway here okay :(

Fine, blame your phone, but YOU are responsible for the text when you hit submit.

I guess not so honorable :(

smith&wesson
05-03-2016, 03:00 PM
He will be a Warrior until he is way passed his prime. Why would he leave the best team in the NBA..

Vinylman
05-03-2016, 05:45 PM

Curry has a chance to be the best Warrior of all time. Get that statue out front Steph

6 year deal lol... what is this 2010?

Vinylman
05-03-2016, 05:47 PM

they are already in the LT and will be repeat offenders for the foreseeable future

Scoots
05-03-2016, 10:08 PM
they are already in the LT and will be repeat offenders for the foreseeable future

They actually should drop out of LT this off-season before they go back in.

Slug3
05-04-2016, 09:06 AM

For real, only way he leaves is if GS magically does not want him.

Vinylman
05-04-2016, 09:26 AM
They actually should drop out of LT this off-season before they go back in.

smfh... who you getting rid of? Contracts alone are $74.2 million without Barnes Ezeli Livingston speights...

signing Barnes and Ezeli alone puts them over the LT threshold for next season....

btw... you don't "drop out of the LT during the offseason" The tax is calculated during the season... the fact that you are technically not over for 3 weeks is irrelevant

like I said in my original post ... they will be in the LT for the foreseeable future...

DISPUTE THAT

Scoots
05-04-2016, 11:25 AM
smfh... who you getting rid of? Contracts alone are $74.2 million without Barnes Ezeli Livingston speights...

signing Barnes and Ezeli alone puts them over the LT threshold for next season....

btw... you don't "drop out of the LT during the offseason" The tax is calculated during the season... the fact that you are technically not over for 3 weeks is irrelevant

like I said in my original post ... they will be in the LT for the foreseeable future...

DISPUTE THAT

The Luxury tax level is projected to $109M which means the Warriors can spend $35M this off-season (assuming no other trades) and NOT be in the Luxury tax. I believe they are trying to do exactly that to avoid the nasty repeater penalties for one more year before they live there for the next 5 years.

Vinylman
05-04-2016, 12:04 PM
The Luxury tax level is projected to $109M which means the Warriors can spend $35M this off-season (assuming no other trades) and NOT be in the Luxury tax. I believe they are trying to do exactly that to avoid the nasty repeater penalties for one more year before they live there for the next 5 years.

like I said.... who are you getting rid of? those 4 guys alone are well over $35 million and that is without adding in the other roster spots

Scoots
05-04-2016, 12:48 PM
like I said.... who are you getting rid of? those 4 guys alone are well over $35 million and that is without adding in the other roster spots

Speights isn't coming back (probably), Livingston is already under contract, and I don't think they will pay Barnes and Ezeli $35M.

Saddletramp
05-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Speights isn't coming back (probably), Livingston is already under contract, and I don't think they will pay Barnes and Ezeli $35M.

What's the max that Barnes can get? What did he already turn down? I wouldn't doubt Ezeli getting a $12M a year package and I thought they want to bring him back? And I don't think that Livingston $5+M counts because it's a team option as of now.

Not being a jerk, I honestly don't know and I figure that you do.

Scoots
05-04-2016, 02:40 PM
What's the max that Barnes can get? What did he already turn down? I wouldn't doubt Ezeli getting a $12M a year package and I thought they want to bring him back? And I don't think that Livingston $5+M counts because it's a team option as of now.

Not being a jerk, I honestly don't know and I figure that you do.

IIRC team options and player options count on the cap until they are specifically declined.

Barnes turned down $16M. Ezeli hasn't been able to stay close to healthy so his price has likely gone down some this year. Barnes' max is around $22M.

I don't think the team can bring Barnes back at the max when Draymond just took a discount to stay and help the team build. The Warriors will pay Barnes a lot of money, but my guess is it's short of the max by a few million, and if he wants more he'll get it somewhere else. At least that's my guess.

I think Rush, Speights, and Varejao leave, Clark and McAdoo come back on minimum contracts, Looney and the new draft pick get some PT next year which leaves only Barbosa to be re-signed and I doubt he makes much more than he's making now to stick around. And the team will probably try to bring in another undervalued vet.

ClassyAshyLarry
05-04-2016, 03:00 PM
It's possible, but not unless disaster strikes. Multiple players leave/Kerr is forced to retire because of health/bad moves by management. As of now though no freaking way.

BKLYNpigeon
05-04-2016, 03:02 PM
What a stupid thread.

Saddletramp
05-04-2016, 04:47 PM
IIRC team options and player options count on the cap until they are specifically declined.

Barnes turned down $16M. Ezeli hasn't been able to stay close to healthy so his price has likely gone down some this year. Barnes' max is around $22M.

I don't think the team can bring Barnes back at the max when Draymond just took a discount to stay and help the team build. The Warriors will pay Barnes a lot of money, but my guess is it's short of the max by a few million, and if he wants more he'll get it somewhere else. At least that's my guess.

I think Rush, Speights, and Varejao leave, Clark and McAdoo come back on minimum contracts, Looney and the new draft pick get some PT next year which leaves only Barbosa to be re-signed and I doubt he makes much more than he's making now to stick around. And the team will probably try to bring in another undervalued vet.

According to Hoopshype: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state_warriors/

They're at $74ish million without Livingston but that doesn't count Jason Thompson' number being slashed from $6+million to a little less than a million. That extra can be absorbed through Livingston's $5ish million. Hoopshype just isn't updated.

So basically, you're right.

eDush
05-04-2016, 04:59 PM

6 year deal lol... what is this 2010?:laugh2: I thought the same thing before playing along with it. CBA shun long term deals to take advantage of new TV deals to maximize their star players.

JordansBulls
05-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Maybe to play for the Oakland A's or San Francisco Giants.

Vinylman
05-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Livingston has a player option...... do you really think he will exercise it? no speights... ok thought he was important to the team but I can see how he will make more than they will offer.

lets make this easy

Klay/Green/Iggy/Bogut/Steph/Looney/Thompson(dead stretch) are $68.291 million next year

The other players to address are as follows with what they will make with GS

Barnes $19 million
Ezeli $12 million
Speights ZERO (assuming you are right)
Livingston $10 million (someone will offer more but he probably takes a discount)
Clark ZERO (someone will offer him at least $5 million per year)

If you add those three guys at those salaries that puts you at $109.291 million with only 9 spots slotted. You have to fill out the other spots with min players at least (don't know if GS has a first this year)

You can argue over what GS wants to pay Ezeli and Barnes but simply put both those guys will get those numbers on the open market so to retain them they have to go over the LT unless they dump one of Iggy or Bogut.

It will be interesting to see what happens but one thing is clear... if GS wants to keep the band together they will have to go over the LT threshold

Scoots
05-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Livingston has a player option...... do you really think he will exercise it? no speights... ok thought he was important to the team but I can see how he will make more than they will offer.

lets make this easy

Klay/Green/Iggy/Bogut/Steph/Looney/Thompson(dead stretch) are $68.291 million next year

The other players to address are as follows with what they will make with GS

Barnes $19 million
Ezeli $12 million
Speights ZERO (assuming you are right)
Livingston $10 million (someone will offer more but he probably takes a discount)
Clark ZERO (someone will offer him at least $5 million per year)

If you add those three guys at those salaries that puts you at $109.291 million with only 9 spots slotted. You have to fill out the other spots with min players at least (don't know if GS has a first this year)

You can argue over what GS wants to pay Ezeli and Barnes but simply put both those guys will get those numbers on the open market so to retain them they have to go over the LT unless they dump one of Iggy or Bogut.

It will be interesting to see what happens but one thing is clear... if GS wants to keep the band together they will have to go over the LT threshold

Livingston is a TEAM option which the team already said they are going to take.

Is it important to you that GS be over the tax? All I said was that they should go under the tax before they go back over for several years.

Vinylman
05-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Livingston is a TEAM option which the team already said they are going to take.

Is it important to you that GS be over the tax? All I said was that they should go under the tax before they go back over for several years.

my bad... that saves you $4.2 million...

I notice how you didn't address that you will lose speights/clark and that even with Livingston at that number you are over the LT...

so again... how will they be under the tax? you saying it doesn't make it so without major roster turnover...

Scoots
05-05-2016, 11:12 AM
my bad... that saves you $4.2 million...

I notice how you didn't address that you will lose speights/clark and that even with Livingston at that number you are over the LT...

so again... how will they be under the tax? you saying it doesn't make it so without major roster turnover...

I said earlier that I felt Ezeli's health issues bring his number down.

I'm not saying it will be easy, just that it should be a goal.

Ezeli may not be back. Barnes may not be back. If either of those happen then it's EASY to be under the tax. Why do you assume everybody has to be back next year?

Vinylman
05-05-2016, 12:19 PM
I said earlier that I felt Ezeli's health issues bring his number down.

I'm not saying it will be easy, just that it should be a goal.

Ezeli may not be back. Barnes may not be back. If either of those happen then it's EASY to be under the tax. Why do you assume everybody has to be back next year?

Why? because that was the point the guy made.... that the current team isn't and won't be over the LT.... the facts are simple... if they keep all the players they have they will be well over the LT now and into the foreseeable future.... you said that wasn't true and then started listing guys they would get rid of to achieve that goal. I highly doubt that is the teams goal.

Tony_Starks
05-05-2016, 12:39 PM
He should team up with James Harden and Anthony Davis....

Scoots
05-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Why? because that was the point the guy made.... that the current team isn't and won't be over the LT.... the facts are simple... if they keep all the players they have they will be well over the LT now and into the foreseeable future.... you said that wasn't true and then started listing guys they would get rid of to achieve that goal. I highly doubt that is the teams goal.

I never said they'd keep the players they have now. You made an assumption. The team's goal is to challenge for a title every year, and overpaying to keep players just to keep them would not be fitting with that goal, and the front office has made it clear they are well aware of the advantages of getting out of the LT for a season when possible. They may not do it this year, but they should which is all I said from the first post and you act like it's not even possible. I pointed out how it was possible and now you are saying they don't want to. Fine. I think they do want to, even if they end up deciding to go back over it this year.

Saddletramp
05-05-2016, 04:27 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/05/lakers-likely-to-target-festus-ezeli.html?fv-home=true

Scoots, just read this about Ezeli. I don't even think he'll get an offer of $50M over three years. But if he does, they'll have to let him walk or get rid of Bogut a year early. Tough decisions looming.

Vinylman
05-06-2016, 09:42 AM
I never said they'd keep the players they have now. You made an assumption. The team's goal is to challenge for a title every year, and overpaying to keep players just to keep them would not be fitting with that goal, and the front office has made it clear they are well aware of the advantages of getting out of the LT for a season when possible. They may not do it this year, but they should which is all I said from the first post and you act like it's not even possible. I pointed out how it was possible and now you are saying they don't want to. Fine. I think they do want to, even if they end up deciding to go back over it this year.

I never said it wasn't possible... if they want to be the favorite IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... Again, their advantage is their depth and Curry's unbelievably favorable contract.... Getting out of the LT next year is easy quite frankly but it also would have longer term roster impacts because either one of the old guys (bogut/iggy) have to go or one of the young guys (Ezeli/Barnes).

I don't see getting rid of Iggy as an option.. Bogut is a possibility but then you would probably have to keep both Ezeli and Speights because of Ezeli's injury history which will also be almost as much money (assuming speights can get $8-10 million on the open market).

I don't see them letting Barnes walk and honestly I don't see them letting Clark walk.

Why? because they can't replace those guys with comparable talent because of their salary cap issues so losing those guys is zero sum.

Scoots
05-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Green took less than he could have to stay, if they pay Barnes the max, or even close to it is a slap in Green's face because Green is 4 times the player Barnes is and they both know it. If Barnes demands the max I think he's gone.

The Warriors are a veteran destination now so players in their 30s will be more willing to come to the Warriors on bargain contracts, particularly if they win another title.

The Warriors are not elite because of their depth, their depth is elite because of the system and because of Curry, Green, and Thompson, followed closely by Iguodala then Bogut.

They found Clark and McAdoo on the discard pile, before that they found Justin Holiday and Seth Curry, before that Kent Bazemore, before that Ish Smith and Jeremy Lin, and before that Reggie Williams and Anthony Morrow and Kelenna Azubuike. If you go far enough back you'll find John Starks, Vincent Askew, Mario Elie, Keith Jennings. If you count late draft picks there is Latrell Sprewell, Gilbert Arenas, and Monta Ellis. The Warriors have always been able to find guys like them. I don't know why but it's true, and it means that while they would probably rather keep Clark around they will not be paying him $5M to stick around.

Speights has been healthy this year but he's 11th on the team in MPG. They are not going to break the bank to keep him, particularly because they have a cheaper, better (hopefully) option already contract in Kevon Looney.

They have Aaron Craft, Xavier Henry, and Mychal Thompson on their D-league team and all of them would jump at a minimum contract.

Barnes and Ezeli are the biggest questions, and if both stay with great big contracts then yes they won't go under the LT. But if they stay on reasonable contacts or if either one does not stay then they can be under easily.

COOLbeans
05-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Green took less than he could have to stay, if they pay Barnes the max, or even close to it is a slap in Green's face because Green is 4 times the player Barnes is and they both know it. If Barnes demands the max I think he's gone.

The Warriors are a veteran destination now so players in their 30s will be more willing to come to the Warriors on bargain contracts, particularly if they win another title.

The Warriors are not elite because of their depth, their depth is elite because of the system and because of Curry, Green, and Thompson, followed closely by Iguodala then Bogut.

They found Clark and McAdoo on the discard pile, before that they found Justin Holiday and Seth Curry, before that Kent Bazemore, before that Ish Smith and Jeremy Lin, and before that Reggie Williams and Anthony Morrow and Kelenna Azubuike. If you go far enough back you'll find John Starks, Vincent Askew, Mario Elie, Keith Jennings. If you count late draft picks there is Latrell Sprewell, Gilbert Arenas, and Monta Ellis. The Warriors have always been able to find guys like them. I don't know why but it's true, and it means that while they would probably rather keep Clark around they will not be paying him $5M to stick around.

Speights has been healthy this year but he's 11th on the team in MPG. They are not going to break the bank to keep him, particularly because they have a cheaper, better (hopefully) option already contract in Kevon Looney.

They have Aaron Craft, Xavier Henry, and Mychal Thompson on their D-league team and all of them would jump at a minimum contract.

I think a lot of that has to do with Larry Riley, the Warriors have always had a great scouts and have gambled on guys. Some bad, but most good over the last 10 years. Fits Riley's persona.

Kyben36
05-07-2016, 09:51 PM
why would he ?????

IBleedPurple
05-08-2016, 02:36 PM

And unfortunately for us that means no more eDush :(Sounds way too high.

eDush
05-09-2016, 06:11 AM

Barnes and Ezeli are the biggest questions, and if both stay with great big contracts then yes they won't go under the LT. But if they stay on reasonable contacts or if either one does not stay then they can be under easily.So you think they MIGHT NOT give Barnes the max to stay but they WILL NOT give Clark 5 million to stay?!? Sorry Scoots but that does sound sorta man crushie to me especially after missing open jump shots from near the paint last game. Their new strategy will likely be to leave him to double team Dray in the paint :(

Scoots
05-09-2016, 12:33 PM
So you think they MIGHT NOT give Barnes the max to stay but they WILL NOT give Clark 5 million to stay?!? Sorry Scoots but that does sound sorta man crushie to me especially after missing open jump shots from near the paint last game. Their new strategy will likely be to leave him to double team Dray in the paint :(

I don't want Barnes to stay at the max, but the Warriors may go that high. I do not believe the Warriors will give Clark a $5M deal ... he was a DNPCD 16 times this year and averaged less than 9 minutes in the games he did play. That is not the formula for a $5M a year guy. The Warriors liked Justin Holiday and Kent Bazemore more than Clarke and they wouldn't match $1M deals for those guys.

Monta is beast
05-12-2016, 08:20 PM
I ask him Tuesday if he can see himself playing for a team other than Golden State.

I cant, he says.

Curry talks about the four-year $44 million extension he signed seven months ago that kicks in next season. Hell be 29 when the contract expires.

I know that not many players play their whole career for one team in one city, says Curry. I dont see a better place to play.

Also i dont know how you think Ian Clarke is getting 5 mill a year, thats what Livingston is getting paid and hes the best backup pg in the league. Clarke will get between 1.5 and 3 mill

USMCLaker
05-13-2016, 02:06 AM
Everyone seems to talk about Lebron James FA status a year before he reaches free agency. Don't see many people talking about Curry yet and hes due to become a FA after 2017. It might be assumed that he will max out with the Warriors.

I'm sure every team that has the cap space will be a suitor, but does he even reach FA or think there is a slight chance he leaves the Warriors ?

FYI, the Warriors 2017 FA's are Bogut, Iggy, Curry, and Livingston.

I think he extends with the Warriors especially with Klay extended to 2019 and Green to 2020.

There is no reason to leave GSW they have an incredible fan base and his jersey is getting retired in the rafters plus of course they are going to pay him, if they don't then they deserve to lose him.

IKnowHoops
05-13-2016, 02:37 AM
Funny thread. He is 100% staying. If he does leave, he won't be a difference maker at the time. He will be pure trash before he goes to another team. He's going nowhere while it matters.