PDA

View Full Version : Pet moves that are actually against the rules

Scoots
05-02-2016, 10:17 AM
There have been a lot of great players who have used moves to score that are actually against the rules, but for whatever reason they get away with them over and over.

Patrick Ewing's travel into the lane jump-ish shot.
Reggie Miller's leg kick on jump shots.
Michael Jordan's push off on mid-range jump shots.

Any other contributors?

ManningToTyree
05-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Lebron is consistently given an extra step when going through the lane

Scoots
05-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Blake Griffin warding off with his off arm/forearm on dunks.
Melo's elbow to get space on his jumper.
Harden bringing his arms up to create contact and getting FTs when not in the penalty. (yeah, that ones a bit weak)

Scoots
05-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Shaq's bull rush
Howard's shove on the rebound
Rodman pulling on arms, legs, ears, ankles, anything he can reach.

Tony_Starks
05-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Dwight Howard's unstoppable sky hook.

AllBall
05-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Yeah, they're against the rules now, they weren't' then.

Chronz
05-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I always wondered, is Hakeems footwork so good that the refs are fooled into calling travels for seemingly impossible moves or does he actually have such great footwork that the refs dont call it enough. Seemed like they always made the wrong call regarding his post work, called the travel when it was legit and ignored it when it was there. Ill try to find the video but I remember Kobe doing something similar in a game against the Blazers this year.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Moses used to just throw the ball at the backboard when he couldn't get closer to the rim, hulk smash the guy guarding him, then go get it and lay it in, giving him an offensive board at the same time. He was playing old man ball as a youth

Slug3
05-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Wade use to always get that pump fake and get the the guy in the air then jump into him foul.

Scoots
05-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Yeah, they're against the rules now, they weren't' then.

Which one(s)?

Scoots
05-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Moses used to just throw the ball at the backboard when he couldn't get closer to the rim, hulk smash the guy guarding him, then go get it and lay it in, giving him an offensive board at the same time. He was playing old man ball as a youth

I think Andre Miller may be the greatest old man ball player in NBA history.

John Stockton's picks were often against the rules, and probably sometimes criminal.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 12:56 PM
I think Andre Miller may be the greatest old man ball player in NBA history.

John Stockton's picks were often against the rules, and probably sometimes criminal.

I saw Nova play in December in Florida in person, and that kid who hit the game winner for the National Championship reminded me so much of Andre Miller

ewing
05-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Most things Reggie Miller did during the course of a basketball game

IndyRealist
05-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Which one(s)?

Kicking your leg out on jump shots was specifically made illegal because of Reggie. It was legal for most of his career.

Tony_Starks
05-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Don't forget Barkleys back you down from like 20 feet out. That was a strong dude.

They may as well do away with the Barkely rule, it might actually encourage some big guys to use post moves again.

Scoots
05-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Kicking your leg out on jump shots was specifically made illegal because of Reggie. It was legal for most of his career.

I think it was illegal his whole career, but they changed the emphasis because of him ... IIRC.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Don't forget Barkleys back you down from like 20 feet out. That was a strong dude.

They may as well do away with the Barkely rule, it might actually encourage some big guys to use post moves again.

he was the reason they created the 5 second rule down low. Watching him on the Rox was hilarious. He just used his fat *** and slowly backed you up, eating 17 seconds of the clock up

ewing
05-02-2016, 03:18 PM
he was the reason they created the 5 second rule down low. Watching him on the Rox was hilarious. He just used his fat *** and slowly backed you up, eating 17 seconds of the clock up

Mark Jackson was a huge culprit too.

Scoots
05-02-2016, 03:25 PM

Barkley and Mark Jackson. Jackson may have been the one who inspired Barkley to do it.

Scoots
05-02-2016, 03:26 PM

Great minds.

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Dwight, more so in Orlando, did this shoulder spear into the defender before shooting in the post to create space. Blatant offensive foul. Officials didn't call it until he went against the Lakers in the finals and PJax mentioned it in a press conference and Gasol was sure to sell the contact.

Also, Shaq *** bump. You know it's an offensive foul when Rick Mahorn steps out from behind him and Shaq falls on his *** when he tries to make the contact. Officials never called that on him. That was like 50% of his post game.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 03:27 PM

oh yeah dude. His *** was so wide, he basically just dribbled the ball in place until his guy broke open.

In Indy, Reggie would basically just run the U formation, and when he finally broke open, old big *** dropped him a dime

HoodedSB
05-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Dirk's leg kicks on midrange jumpers.