PDA

View Full Version : Most Impressive title run?

JasonJohnHorn
05-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Not all title runs are created equal. Last year, for examples, the Warriors' title was shrugged off by some (I am not among them) because of injuries that occurred that year, which kept OKC out of the playoffs, and left a depleted Cavs roster open to attack.

This year they proved that it was no fluke, and are making short work of two healthy playoffs teams in the West without their best player (though they have against escaped the Clippers match-up).

But which title runs were the most impressive? For me, I have to go with the 95 Rockets. Rudy T's 'never underestimate the heart of a champion' speech might have been a little kitsch, but it was fitting. Those Rockets were the only team to ever beat the teams with the 4 best records in the league and are the only team to achieve that.

I thought the Pistons' run in 89 was impressive as they beat the both of the 80's most dominant dynasties (Boston and LA) and the dynasty that was to take over in the 90's (the Bulls), and though none of those teams were where they were in their primes, it was still an impressive accomplishment on paper. To say you beat Bird's Celtics, Magic's Lakers, and Jordan's Bulls in a single playoff run is amazing. Problem is, Bird was out that year with injury. Though beating Reggie's Pacers, Ewing's Knicks, Jordan's Bulls and Drexler's Blazers the following year was also impressive.

What was the most impressive title run for you?

conway429
05-01-2016, 07:16 PM
I hate the Lakers but '01 was impressive

Cal827
05-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Laker 2001, where they pretty much swept everyone except for the one man army in Philly.

jerellh528
05-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Lakers oh one run

Heediot
05-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Rockets like you mentioned. Both titles they won back in the 90s were equally impressive.

Dallas was impressive too when they win it all.

JasonJohnHorn
05-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Laker 2001, where they pretty much swept everyone except for the one man army in Philly.

One man army? I know Mutombo did a lot, but he had help.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 09:35 AM

they only lost a game because they were on an extended vacation waiting for Philly to get there....

Easily the most impressive title run for me. The Lakers killed everyone.

I will say, the best team I have seen is the 2014 Spurs though. After game 4 against Dallas, they played the most beautiful basketball I have ever watched.

Tony_Starks
05-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Damn Allen Iverson for being invincible one game, screwing up what should've been a sweep of the playoff free world!

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Damn Allen Iverson for being invincible one game, screwing up what should've been a sweep of the playoff free world!

the real problem is your boy Kobe sucked the floor up, and the Lakers bench offered nothing in game 1. The Lakers looked like they had been on a beach for 2 weeks waiting, except Shaq and his 40/20 game...

Tony_Starks
05-02-2016, 10:12 AM
the real problem is your boy Kobe sucked the floor up, and the Lakers bench offered nothing in game 1. The Lakers looked like they had been on a beach for 2 weeks waiting, except Shaq and his 40/20 game...

Well with all that it still went to OT. There was no excuse, AI just couldn't be stopped.

Moyaz
05-02-2016, 10:25 AM
I would say Dallas Mavericks 2011 - They were the underdogs in 3 of the 4 series, especially against a Heat team in the finals.

Vinylman
05-02-2016, 10:41 AM
1983 Sixers

Chronz
05-02-2016, 10:45 AM
I would say Dallas Mavericks 2011 - They were the underdogs in 3 of the 4 series, especially against a Heat team in the finals.
Pretty sure they were underdogs the whole way, no?

R. Johnson#3
05-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Most recently I'd say the Mavs. Dirk was legendary that year and had one of the best post seasons ever.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Well with all that it still went to OT. There was no excuse, AI just couldn't be stopped.

41 shot attempts dude. Lakers, outside Shaq, were sleepwalking through that game. I don't blame them, they had just dismantled the Spurs just short of 2 weeks earlier.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 10:50 AM
I think I am probably confusing "dominant" with "impressive".

Chronz
05-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Like Hawk said, depends on how you view impressive vs dominant. Its obvious which was the most dominant run, if you account for quality of team I suppose you could open it up more. But in terms of facing the toughest seeds then yeah, Double Clutch City is a great one to look at but thats sort of like giving them extra credit for not dominating the RS. Which Im for in case of the Lakers just because they revved it up and dominated when it counted, those were the classic light switch Lakers that turned it on when it mattered. Houston wasn't that team, they needed an infusion of talent and they dealt with some injuries. They really weren't as bad as their record indicated but yeah, they definitely had the toughest road IMO. Ill check the history books to see which come close.

valade16
05-02-2016, 12:04 PM
The Lakers beat 3 impressive teams in the West that run as well. The Blazers had faced the Lakers in the WCF and took them to Game 7 the previous year, the Spurs were two years removed from winning the title and had the best record in the league and the Kings went on the face the Lakers the very next year in the WCF also taking them to Game 7.

Both those Kings and Blazers are considered among the best teams to never win a title and the Lakers are a big reason why. That was just an impressive and dominant run all the way through.

D-Leethal
05-02-2016, 12:09 PM
That '11 Mavs run was insane. Took out a feisty Portland team, the defending champs, primetime OKC and the superfriends. Basically a laundry list of future MVPs and HOFers and players who have dominated this past generation and Dirk went straight beast mode on all of them.

Tony_Starks
05-02-2016, 12:11 PM
The Lakers beat 3 impressive teams in the West that run as well. The Blazers had faced the Lakers in the WCF and took them to Game 7 the previous year, the Spurs were two years removed from winning the title and had the best record in the league and the Kings went on the face the Lakers the very next year in the WCF also taking them to Game 7.

Both those Kings and Blazers are considered among the best teams to never win a title and the Lakers are a big reason why. That was just an impressive and dominant run all the way through.

I still remember to this day a interview with Malik Rose after we swept them they asked him "after 3 sweeps is it safe to say the Lakers are on a mission at this point?" .... and he had the audacity to say, very skeptically "well....I don't know if I would call it a MISSION but..."

Everyone was laughing like man wth would you call it when they're sweeping every contender in sight?

YAALREADYKNO
05-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Mavs In 11. I remember George Karl saying they wanted to play the mavs in the first round and when the mavs blew that 20pt 2nd half lead against the Blazers in game 4 people started to ride off the mavs.
The lakers in 01 made everybody look like ameteurs including Duncan and the Spurs

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 01:04 PM
I still remember to this day a interview with Malik Rose after we swept them they asked him "after 3 sweeps is it safe to say the Lakers are on a mission at this point?" .... and he had the audacity to say, very skeptically "well....I don't know if I would call it a MISSION but..."

Everyone was laughing like man wth would you call it when they're sweeping every contender in sight?

that was right after they lost game 3 by 39 points, and game 4 by 29. The Lakers destroyed them, the only game that was even competitive was game 2.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 01:06 PM
That '11 Mavs run was insane. Took out a feisty Portland team, the defending champs, primetime OKC and the superfriends. Basically a laundry list of future MVPs and HOFers and players who have dominated this past generation and Dirk went straight beast mode on all of them.

The whole Mavs roster went beast mode at one time or another during that run.

Chronz
05-02-2016, 01:58 PM
The Mavs thing was such a spectacle but as is often the case with surprise championships, alot of things came together that helped them at least alil. Pau+Bynum were basically feuding for post touches, Shannon Brown was banging his girl, the Lakers had reset their defensive principles halfway through the season to take advantage of Bynums strengths, which made sense if you were expecting Miami/Boston/Chicago in the Finals but played into the hands of the Mavs.

The HEAT were in their first year, had yet to discover the space and pace philosophy and had a primitive "you get stops you can do what you want on offense" mindset, yet to discover that Rio was their best PG and that Dampier was unplayable. In other words, it truly was 3 vs 5, I dont care how great your top3 guys are, its really hard to win in the zone era when you can outright ignore 2 of the 5 players (Bibby/Dampier) and when the 2 wings are both mediocre shooters.

Only OKC was truly disappointing in the sense that they had the talent but Dallas had a special bench, a swiss army knife and a head coach that knew which tool was required for each series. +/- guys have always given him high praise for this ability. A guy like Peja would be pivotal against the Lakers and their lack of footspeed but unplayable against Miami, thats when Deshaun would come in and check Bron/KD instead.

Its crazy that they overcame the top heavy talent with a bunch of role players and glue guys but man those guys stepped up big, it really wasn't that Dirk killed foos, I honestly cant recall too many monster games from him, I do remember teams loading up on him like crazy but prime Dirk would have crushed it to higher degree IMO.

What does it say when a player wins a chip past their peak? I always thought it meant his help was greater but you look at those names and none really stand out but they did perform for this run. A magical year I just have a hard time crediting it to Dirk to the point where his run is seen as some incredible tour de force

valade16
05-02-2016, 02:06 PM
The Mavs thing was such a spectacle but as is often the case with surprise championships, alot of things came together that helped them at least alil. Pau+Bynum were basically feuding for post touches, Shannon Brown was banging his girl, the Lakers had reset their defensive principles halfway through the season to take advantage of Bynums strengths, which made sense if you were expecting Miami/Boston/Chicago in the Finals but played into the hands of the Mavs.

The HEAT were in their first year, had yet to discover the space and pace philosophy and had a primitive "you get stops you can do what you want on offense" mindset, yet to discover that Rio was their best PG and that Dampier was unplayable. In other words, it truly was 3 vs 5, I dont care how great your top3 guys are, its really hard to win in the zone era when you can outright ignore 2 of the 5 players (Bibby/Dampier) and when the 2 wings are both mediocre shooters.

Only OKC was truly disappointing in the sense that they had the talent but Dallas had a special bench, a swiss army knife and a head coach that knew which tool was required for each series. +/- guys have always given him high praise for this ability. A guy like Peja would be pivotal against the Lakers and their lack of footspeed but unplayable against Miami, thats when Deshaun would come in and check Bron/KD instead.

Its crazy that they overcame the top heavy talent with a bunch of role players and glue guys but man those guys stepped up big, it really wasn't that Dirk killed foos, I honestly cant recall too many monster games from him, I do remember teams loading up on him like crazy but prime Dirk would have crushed it to higher degree IMO.

What does it say when a player wins a chip past their peak? I always thought it meant his help was greater but you look at those names and none really stand out but they did perform for this run. A magical year I just have a hard time crediting it to Dirk to the point where his run is seen as some incredible tour de force

I think people underrate the supporting cast during that run.

Jason Terry, Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, and Peja were all team leaders or top players for their respective teams prior to Dallas and in guys like Butler, Barea and of course Tyson Chandler. Insanely deep team that had a ton of experience.

Chronz
05-02-2016, 02:50 PM
I think Peja was waived and they picked him up, so its hard for people to see the value in them.

I remember having a similar debate with ink a few years ago about the talent of a team like the Spurs. On one hand, you see guys like Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw getting tossed aside by some horrible Charlotte teams, but they join these contenders and all of sudden they start deciding playoff games. Diaw is a matchup nightmare and I'd argue they dont beat the Heat without him because hes what unlocks their small lineup ability. Tyson Chandler and Marion were why they were able to wall off the paint against Bron, that had very little to do with Dirk. But because they were cast offs, people think of them differently in terms of talent/firepower.

And Butler sucked balls man, I remember arguing with Mavs fans that losing him was going to help them so much. He had lost his athleticism so his gravity around the rim was non-existent, which is a big deal because its what offset the midrange shots he insisted on taking. I was so mad the following year when the Clippers threw big money at him. I loved Caron his first stint in LA, but he was done.

Tony_Starks
05-02-2016, 03:03 PM
What if those '99 Van Gundy Knicks would've beat the Spurs? Remember the Larry Johnson 4 point play?

Man oh man...

D-Leethal
05-02-2016, 03:27 PM
That Mavs team had less star power than 95% of the NBA champs in the history of the league.

Whether or not the support team played out of their minds, it was unique to see a squad with really one guy who was a top tier ELITE player beat teams as talent laden as LAL, OKC, and MIA.

It's perfectly fine to give the supporting cast their due, but Dirk was the single star dueling with duo's and trio's of stars, and he was the guy playing 40 minutes, putting up anywhere from 25-40 a night (dropped 48 in game 1 vs OKC) and opening up the court for everyone else to pick their spots and make plays. He also was as clutch down the stretch as any single player I've ever seen during that playoff run.

valade16
05-02-2016, 03:33 PM
That Mavs team had less star power than 95% of the NBA champs in the history of the league.

Whether or not the support team played out of their minds, it was unique to see a squad with really one guy who was a top tier ELITE player beat teams as talent laden as LAL, OKC, and MIA.

It's perfectly fine to give the supporting cast their due, but Dirk was the single star dueling with duo's and trio's of stars, and he was the guy playing 40 minutes, putting up anywhere from 25-40 a night (dropped 48 in game 1 vs OKC) and opening up the court for everyone else to pick their spots and make plays. He also was as clutch down the stretch as any single player I've ever seen during that playoff run.

I'm not even sure he was as clutch as his teammate Jason Terry that postseason. Certainly not in the Finals.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 03:35 PM

The roster around him was a great blend of experienced guys who many of which were at one time ELITE. They also all bought into the team concept. They also ran into a weird year where much of the competition them faced was going through individual issues/circumstances that year.

For the regular season output comparison, that Mavs teams players overperformed come playoff time. Barea was carving up teams, Jason Terry was hitting from everywhere, the Mavs in general were awesome from outside the arc, Kidd/Chandler played well in 2 series, it just all came together for them, on the back end of Dirk's prime.

By no means am I taking anything away with them probably being an underdog the last 2 series they played in, but Dirk didn't just go nova or anything like that. He was Dirk, and his role players all stepped up collectively.

numba1CHANGsta
05-02-2016, 03:44 PM
01' Lakers hands down, I mean how many teams can you name who swept 3 teams in the playoffs including sweeping the best team with the best record in the NBA that same season in the Spurs.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 03:46 PM
01' Lakers hands down, I mean how many teams can you name who swept 3 teams in the playoffs including sweeping the best team with the best record in the NBA that same season in the Spurs.

they finished them off in game 3 and 4 by a combined 68 points haha

Then they took a vacation, waiting on Philly, showed up lethargic, dropped one, then rolled through

That team destroyed everyone

numba1CHANGsta
05-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Then they took a vacation, waiting on Philly, showed up lethargic, dropped one, then rolled through

And they did it with a horrible bench that included players like Madsen, Slava, Foster, George, Lue, and an old Grant, Shaw, and Harper.

NYKalltheway
05-03-2016, 07:28 AM
Lakers 2001
Sixers fo-fo-fo
Spurs 99

hidalgo
05-05-2016, 09:28 PM
hmm, the Mavs 2011 were impessive, but...

hidalgo
05-05-2016, 09:29 PM
guess i'll vote for the 1991 Bulls. only 2 losses in the playoffs(by 4 points total, 2001 Lakers 1 loss was by 6 points), & they beat the bad boys in a sweep, & Magic/Worthy Lakers in 5, earning their taking of the torch the right way from the past 2 champions. more impressive than the 01 Lakers just beating 1 recent champ in the spurs (5 time champ Lakers & 2 time champ pistons vs 1 time champ spurs, bulls get the nod for me here)

MTar786
05-06-2016, 05:03 AM
2001 lakers
honorable mention goes to the 2014 spurs

PhillyFaninLA
05-06-2016, 06:10 AM
I hate the Lakers but '01 was impressive

This is literally word for word what I was going to say.

That playoff run was something special. The fact that they we stole game 1 from them was amazing, but for those that don't know, the Lakers where 11 - 0 (was that correct amount of wins or am I remembering wrong) going into the finals.

That was a dominant, special, playoff run.

PhillyFaninLA
05-06-2016, 06:17 AM

I would say I 75% agree with that. It carried into game two, and the Sixers gave the Lakers a real scare until the woke up towards the end of game 2. This wasn't just a one game lethargic thing, it was this team can't beat us, and for 7 quarters it was, oh crap maybe we need to take them seriously. Once the Lakers did that, they took over.

Hawkeye15
05-06-2016, 10:32 AM
I would say I 75% agree with that. It carried into game two, and the Sixers gave the Lakers a real scare until the woke up towards the end of game 2. This wasn't just a one game lethargic thing, it was this team can't beat us, and for 7 quarters it was, oh crap maybe we need to take them seriously. Once the Lakers did that, they took over.

you tend to get cocky when you just took out the Spurs by 10000 points, and are on a 12 day vacation waiting for the Sixers to get to you

BoSox47
05-06-2016, 10:59 AM
celtics 1959-1969

Chronz
05-06-2016, 12:19 PM
you tend to get cocky when you just took out the Spurs by 10000 points, and are on a 12 day vacation waiting for the Sixers to get to you
Holy **** was it really 12 days? People are making a big deal about curry losing his rhythm, imagine an entire team

MygirlhatesCod
05-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Holy **** was it really 12 days? People are making a big deal about curry losing his rhythm, imagine an entire team

I was thinking the same thing! I know they got their practice in but that's a really long time. which makes them dropping a game to philly make a lot more sense.

Chronz
05-06-2016, 03:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing! I know they got their practice in but that's a really long time. which makes them dropping a game to philly make a lot more sense.
Rest vs rust is not a new argument but man, 12 days is overdoing it.

nastynice
05-07-2016, 02:37 PM
I'd say last year's Warriors. Came out of nowhere, then beat the toughest paint team in the grizz, then beat the team that beat the team that beat the reigning champs spure, then were able to adjust on the fly when the cavs injuries and new rotations caught then off guard.

Can't believe everyone forgot already, it was such a special run that even non warriors fans were calling to put an asterisk by it just to denote how special and above and beyond other titles it was.

Redrum187
05-07-2016, 04:28 PM
2011 Mavericks, Dirk Nowitzki was the best player on the planet for a few short months.

Prime LeBron James - top 7 player All Time
Prime Dywane Wade - top 25 player All Time
Prime Chris Bosh - top 15 player in the league

Dirk Nowitzki - top 15-20 player All Time
Jason Terry - top 300 player All Time?

They beat Portland (great team at the time), they beat the 2x Defending Championship Lakers, they beat OKC with Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka, then they beat the "HEAT". Not many (if any) other superstar can say they won without a legitimate perennial All Star teammate against quality opponents like Dirk Nowitzki did.

lol, please
05-07-2016, 07:59 PM

I agree with this.

I don't think that run will be topped ever.

I'd say last year's Warriors. Came out of nowhere, then beat the toughest paint team in the grizz, then beat the team that beat the team that beat the reigning champs spure, then were able to adjust on the fly when the cavs injuries and new rotations caught then off guard.

Can't believe everyone forgot already, it was such a special run that even non warriors fans were calling to put an asterisk by it just to denote how special and above and beyond other titles it was.

No way dude, put the fandom aside.

"came out of nowehere". lol, don't be ridiculous.

It was special to us, and yes, the league slept on us, but the writing was on the wall, we should have made deeper runs the 2 years prior but had key injuries. Any warriors fan at the time knew it was a matter of time, it wasn't that surprising.

It doesn't come close to the 2001 Lakers.

kdspurman
05-07-2016, 08:07 PM

I don't think people forgot. But 3/4 teams they played had significant injuries to key players.

It was impressive, but idk how it's more impressive than some of the others mentioned. I don't put the asterisks, i think that's crazy talk, things happen every year. But it is something to consider (opposing injuries) when you have convos like this