PDA

View Full Version : Heat complain about officiating in series: Is this a good 'basketball' approach?

JasonJohnHorn
05-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Source: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/heat-complained-to-league-about-calls-going-hornets-way-407527.html

The Heat opened this series dominating the Hornets. The Hornets came home, defended their home court, made adjustments, and then stole one on the road.

The Hornets have been attacking the basket all series. Game one they got 37 FTs to Miami's 21. Game 2 they got 33 to Miami's 22. Miami blew them out both games: no complaints about officiating.

In game five, which is the point of contention for a lot of Heat fans and people within the Heat Organization, the Hornets only had 15 FT attempts to Miami's 19. Yet this is the game where they complain about the officiating.

This thing that I hate about this, other than that this is coming from a team who has been coddled by the officials in the past, if the team's refusal to take ownership for their losses.

You never, NEVER, lose a game based on one play. It is a fallacy. That turnover you causes in the first quarter is just as important as the foul in the final minute of play. Game five, the Heat had 14 turnovers to Charlotte's 12, but nobody is saying "We should have taken better care of the ball."

The Hornets shot .500 from beyond the arc while the Heat shot under .300; yet nobody is saying: We need to cover the perimeter better and execute our 3's.

Yes. The officials make bad calls. EVERY game. And for teams that get good ratings (The Lakers, the Heat, the Bulls), it's usually not a problem. However, even when it is, one bad call is not going to cost you the game. What costs you the game is you shooting under .300 from the arc while you let the other team shoot over .500. What costs you the game is when you turn the ball over more.

Team's can't expect official to bail them out, nor can the expect officials to get every call right, or see every play the way they see it.

Sometimes there is a pattern of behaviour, and I've see that for the Trailblazers back in the day, both against the Bulls in 92, and against the Lakers in 00. I've seen the Pacers get hammered by the officials when playing the Bulls, Knicks, and Lakers AND the Heat. I've seen the Jazz get hammered against the Bulls. I've seen the Kings get hammered against the Lakers. I've seen the Mavs and Pistons get hammered against the Heat.

What I hate to see is a team that normally gets the benefit of the doubt actually get called even and then complain about it. Are there some bad calls? Of course? Is there a clear bias here? No. If anything, the NBA wants the Heat to win. The want an LBJ vs. Wade conference finals match-up. They have even threatened to take the All-Star game out of Charlotte because of the anti-LGBT law. So let's not pretend like the league has an agenda in this series.

I think it is extremely unprofessional for a team like the Heat to come forward and complain about officiating rather than take ownership over their losses. It's one thing when a player, or a player's wife, or even a coach complains about officials, but when the organization comes forward, all they are doing is setting up an excuse for failure, and it is bad for the team culture.

And coaches should set the standard. If there is a pattern that the officials are missing, sure, bring it up (like Phil Jackson bringing up the offensive fouls Dwight commits during the finals when the Lakers played the Magic). But don't use it as an excuse. Instead, call out your team and say they need to cover the perimeter better. Say they need to execute and hit their shots. Say they need to protect the ball. Because the bottom line is, whenever you enter the last minute of the game with anything less than a 10 point lead, it is your level of play that has put you in a position to lose: not the call or non-call that happens in the final seconds of the game.

If any team puts the game in the hands of the officials making a last second call, then that team has failed up until that point and are letting chance influence the outcome of the game.

And I don't mean this just about the Heat. I'm a Pistons fan, and the one thing I hated about our first-round series against the Cavs was how much EVERYBODY was complaining about the officials. Like, come on. The Cavs are the better team. They destroyed you. Even in game one, when the Pistons were playing above their season averages in terms of percentages, they still couldn't close out a game. The Cavs won every game because they were the better team. Did calls go their way? Yes. Did it influence the game? Perhaps in game one. Did it influence the series? Absolutely not. The Cavs were better. Period.

Thoughts? Should coaches players, and organizations step up and take ownership over losses? Does complaining about officials only create a culture of excuses?

Scoots
05-01-2016, 10:50 AM
I think complaining as a team, and I mean everybody, is a net negative. It causes fans to turn off and officials probably stop hearing you fairly soon. A coach making a few pointed notes about questionable tactics by the opponent is one thing, but when there is constant complaint it goes too far.

J_M_B
05-01-2016, 11:03 AM
I'll admit I didn't read the entire post, but you'll never hear excuses from Spo or Riley.

J_M_B
05-01-2016, 11:05 AM
& no officiating hasn't determined the outcome of this series, but when Jeremy Lin is leading all playoff teams in fouls drawn then you have a problem ..

beasted86
05-01-2016, 11:11 AM
I agree that the referees aren't the main reason Miami lost those games, but I understand them working the system to get any advantage they can get.

Here's also a little fact checking. The HEAT right now have a FT to FGA ratio of .280, during the regular season the HEAT were only .196 which tagged them as the 7th best team in not fouling.

To put that .280 number into context, that rate would have led the NBA for this year and the past 7 regular seasons. It's also only 2nd behind the Pacers in this year's playoffs (.288). So, yes, the HEAT are committing an uncharacteristically high amount of shooting fouls based on their regular season and in comparison to other playoff teams.

IndyRealist
05-01-2016, 11:31 AM
I agree that the referees aren't the main reason Miami lost those games, but I understand them working the system to get any advantage they can get.

Here's also a little fact checking. The HEAT right now have a FG to FTA ratio of .280, during the regular season the HEAT were only .196 which tagged them as the 7th best team in not fouling.

To put that .280 number into context, that rate would have led the NBA for this year and the past 7 regular seasons. It's also only 2nd behind the Pacers in this year's playoffs (.288). So, yes, the HEAT are committing an uncharacteristically high amount of shooting fouls based on their regular season and in comparison to other playoff teams.

This post is really confusing. First because you have a number less than one, it should be opponent FTA to FGA, not FG to FTA (and it shouldn't be FGs anyway, which implies made shots). Secondly, your numbers seem to be wrong. The Heat opponents took 1761 FTA to 6914 FGA for a .255 ratio during the regular season, per basketball reference. I'm not sure where your numbers are from.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2016.html

beasted86
05-01-2016, 11:35 AM
This post is really confusing. First because you have a number less than one, it should be opponent FTA to FGA, not FG to FTA (and it shouldn't be FGs anyway, which implies made shots). Secondly, your numbers seem to be wrong. The Heat opponents took 1761 FTA to 6914 FGA for a .255 ratio during the regular season, per basketball reference. I'm not sure where your numbers are from.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2016.html
Yes, it's FTs per FGA literally, but I think you should recheck your own sources, because I used the same reference and it's all spelled out there clearly.

IKnowHoops
05-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Complaining was a go-to for Phil Jackson during his laker runs...and it worked.

IndyRealist
05-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Yes, it's FTs per FGA literally, but I think you should recheck your own sources, because I used the same reference and it's all spelled out there clearly.

What numbers are you getting then, because in 2015-16 BBR says the Heat opponents took 6914 FGA, and 1761 FTA, which is .255 like I said.

beasted86
05-01-2016, 11:47 AM
What numbers are you getting then, because in 2015-16 BBR says the Heat opponents took 6914 FGA, and 1761 FTA, which is .255 like I said.
Team miscellaneous. Gives the "Defense four factors" stat for FT/FGA and their league ranking for the regular season.

beasted86
05-01-2016, 11:51 AM

Also the stat uses FTs made.

IndyRealist
05-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Team miscellaneous. Gives the "Defense four factors" stat for FT/FGA and their league ranking for the regular season.

They're calculating free throws MADE vs field goal attempts. I have no idea what that statistic is trying to show, unless they're looking to include "free throw defense". It seems like a gross error, since on the face of it the idea is to show how well you defend without fouling, and that's how you're using the stat. But that's not what it says.

Kush McDaniels
05-01-2016, 12:05 PM
it worked in 2006 :shrug:

Hell, it worked 2 years ago for Jason Kidd's Nets against the Raptors in round one.

beasted86
05-01-2016, 12:06 PM
They're calculating free throws MADE vs field goal attempts. I have no idea what that statistic is trying to show, unless they're looking to include "free throw defense". It seems like a gross error, since on the face of it the idea is to show how well you defend without fouling, and that's how you're using the stat. But that's not what it says.
It shows how little your team was penalized by opponents FTs. It's really quite simple.

If your team only makes it a habit of fouling bad FT shooters who miss, it served no real penalty other than an addition towards the 6 foul ejection.

Nonetheless it serves as the only clear reference available. Feel free to break out your own spreadsheet and divide and get back to me. I'll be waiting here for your ranking.

TheMightyHumph
05-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Pat Riley being Pat Riley.

Scoots
05-01-2016, 12:22 PM
It shows how little your team was penalized by opponents FTs. It's really quite simple.

If your team only makes it a habit of fouling bad FT shooters who miss, it served no real penalty other than an addition towards the 6 foul ejection.

Nonetheless it serves as the only clear reference available. Feel free to break out your own spreadsheet and divide and get back to me. I'll be waiting here for your ranking.

Indy is right. FTs made is a bad indicator in that stat. The point is how many FT attempts you give up not how many are made. Made FT throws opponent FT% into the mix for no reason.

beasted86
05-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Indy is right. FTs made is a bad indicator in that stat. The point is how many FT attempts you give up not how many are made. Made FT throws opponent FT% into the mix for no reason.

Well as I said, I don't know of any site that provides FTr for opponents, only for the teams themselves. So, go ahead and exchange phone numbers and get started on that spreadsheet together.

beasted86
05-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Also in case it helps your argument against the stat, Miami was ranked 5th least in raw FTAs.

Scoots
05-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Well as I said, I don't know of any site that provides FTr for opponents, only for the teams themselves. So, go ahead and exchange phone numbers and get started on that spreadsheet together.

He gave you the stat of FTA/FGA ... it's in BBR

beasted86
05-01-2016, 12:49 PM
He gave you the stat of FTA/FGA ... it's in BBR

No it's not. He simply divided that himself to attempt to figure out where I came up with .280 from. This is not a listed opponent stat, nor is it given a ranking in comparison to other teams. Stop wasting time and get to work, lol

CHANGO
05-01-2016, 01:16 PM
That "X team took 40 FT's and the other took 20, so obviously it's rigged" argument is so ******. So, saying "X team took 15 FT's and the Y team took 17 FT's, I don't know why the Y team is complaining" is also ******. People have been talking so much about Kemba and Lin leading the playoffs in drives and they use that to explain why they are getting so much FT's.

YET.

In the playoffs the Hornets average 33.3 drives per game while the HEAT average 28 drives per game. The HEAT are making 51% of those drives, the Hornets 46%, BUT the difference is, the HEAT are taking 5.2 FT's of those drives while the Hornets are taking 9.8. In fact, they lead that category of free throws drawn thanks to drives.

For comparison, the Celtics averaged 39.8 drives per game, and took just 8.3 FTPD.

Also the HEAT lead the Hornets in paint touches and post touches. The HEAT are attacking the paint just as much as the Hornets, but, the Hornets are taking more free throws.

Scoots
05-01-2016, 01:28 PM
No it's not. He simply divided that himself to attempt to figure out where I came up with .280 from. This is not a listed opponent stat, nor is it given a ranking in comparison to other teams. Stop wasting time and get to work, lol

On the BBR link posted in the section titled "Team and Opponent Stats" there resides the numbers for total opponent field goal attempts and total opponent free throw attempts. Are you saying you need a website to do that division for you? Couldn't you consider this a website and Indy's post sufficient? Or is it not the stat that you want but the rank of that stat? But if so the rank is immaterial to your point, your only point was that the difference from the Heat's history to this playoff series is somehow un-just or out of scope of normal right?

But playoffs vs regular season doesn't necessarily correlate if for no other reason than you don't play the same team game after game in addition to the playoffs being called different which often results in a significant jump in FTA.

In addition, the Heat are a slower and less aggressive team than the Hornets which will result in more fouls called, so using a regular season league based stat to reflect how a specific matchup over the course of 7 games will turn out completely disregards the very important aspect of match up.

Is it your contention that the Heat have not been committing these fouls and that there are no Heat fouls going uncalled while the opposite is untrue for the Hornets?

Stop wasting time and get to work getting me those answers with stats to back them up! :)

prodigy
05-02-2016, 04:14 AM
And I don't mean this just about the Heat. I'm a Pistons fan, and the one thing I hated about our first-round series against the Cavs was how much EVERYBODY was complaining about the officials. Like, come on. The Cavs are the better team. They destroyed you. Even in game one, when the Pistons were playing above their season averages in terms of percentages, they still couldn't close out a game. The Cavs won every game because they were the better team. Did calls go their way? Yes. Did it influence the game? Perhaps in game one. Did it influence the series? Absolutely not. The Cavs were better. Period.

Wait wait.... Pistons fans were complaining about the refs? for what? it was the Cavs going to the line 4 times a game lol

MonroeFAN
05-02-2016, 06:20 AM

This is how you end an argument you lost?

MonroeFAN
05-02-2016, 06:22 AM
Wait wait.... Pistons fans were complaining about the refs? for what? it was the Cavs going to the line 4 times a game lol

The last play, and maybe game 1. Only salty fans though, most accepted and understood that Cleveland was just too good.

If you're suggesting that it was the other way around, you are salty without reason, because it was a great series sweep or not and we probably played you better than most EC teams will.

Munkeysuit
05-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Complaining is definitely an effective strategy! just ask my girlfriendomgshesgunakillme :(

prodigy
05-03-2016, 04:18 AM
The last play, and maybe game 1. Only salty fans though, most accepted and understood that Cleveland was just too good.

If you're suggesting that it was the other way around, you are salty without reason, because it was a great series sweep or not and we probably played you better than most EC teams will.

Refs in the NBA are a joke period. just a disgrace these playoffs have been so far from them. But ya Pistons played well because of their size. most teams are not that big 1 through 5 and a center like that. Refs let pistons do whatever they wanted to LeBron though, Which they did again in game one vs Hawks. LeBron had 1 FT lol