PDA

View Full Version : Luke Walton hired as Lakers head coach

KobeOwnSU
04-29-2016, 10:11 PM
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers 26s26 seconds ago

OFFICIAL: Lakers Announce Agreement With Luke Walton to Become New Head Coach:

NYKnickFanatic
04-29-2016, 10:18 PM
So much for him not rushing into a head coach position.

leprechaun5
04-29-2016, 10:18 PM
I assume he GOT PAID A LOT!

shep33
04-29-2016, 10:19 PM
Love it. Boner Jams

*Silver&Black*
04-29-2016, 10:22 PM
He knows that Laker bench well.

Lakers + Giants
04-29-2016, 10:26 PM
I don't mind it. Not gonna judge him off his resume with the warriors tho lmao.

More-Than-Most
04-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Sad... I think Basketball needs the knicks/lakers relevent and this will blow up in their face... He will be ousted within 2 seasons when he doesnt have the warriors to rely on... Much better actual coaches were out there but the lakers ran out and got the hottest name on the market and most overrated.

More-Than-Most
04-29-2016, 10:33 PM
I don't mind it. Not gonna judge him off his resume with the warriors tho lmao.

I hope it works out man because when the lakers are good the nba is much better.... but it seems like teams are jumping through hoops to sign retired young players in fisher/kidd/etc and now walton and it rarely ends well... walton got stroked because he had 1 of the best teams ever... he will **** up the rebuild and expecting someone like Russ to take pointers from this guy or listen to this guy will be hilarious.

kdspurman
04-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Thought they'd go with someone more established, but it's good for Luke I guess lol

*Silver&Black*
04-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Really how do you expect a guy to develop and teach a young horrible basketball team into a good, competitive basketball team, who spent this past season eating popcorn in the front row of a Curry tour?

Scoots
04-29-2016, 10:52 PM
The Lakers are going to be interesting ... for a lot of reasons.

I wonder who is going to replace Walton with the Warriors?

numba1CHANGsta
04-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Sad... I think Basketball needs the knicks/lakers relevent and this will blow up in their face... He will be ousted within 2 seasons when he doesnt have the warriors to rely on... Much better actual coaches were out there but the lakers ran out and got the hottest name on the market and most overrated.

Overrated? How so, if this would be his first official year being a full time head coach?

valade16
04-29-2016, 10:56 PM

:laugh:

Best assessment I've read.

jerellh528
04-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Woot! Like the hire. He checks every box of what it takes to be a successful hc in the association today.

Allphakenny1
04-29-2016, 11:22 PM
As a Warriors fan I feel like the Patriots right now. Not that we have won enough championships to be considered on their level, but that we must lose a top coordinator/assistant coach every year to another team and have to replace them.

DillyDill
04-29-2016, 11:29 PM
Leeggooo up and coming coach can't never go wrong there

Saddletramp
04-29-2016, 11:55 PM

Does it matter?

That's a winner right there.

Aust
04-29-2016, 11:59 PM
I hope the FO is patient and gives him time to develop as a coach and with the team. We keep dumping coaches after a few seasons, I'd like for Luke to be given more than that.

lakerfan85
04-30-2016, 12:02 AM

Who were they going to hire?

Phantom Dreamer
04-30-2016, 12:03 AM
As long as Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak are around, it doesn't matter who the head coach is.

lakerfan85
04-30-2016, 12:06 AM
As long as Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak are around, it doesn't matter who the head coach is.

Buss will be gone after next season..

BKLYNpigeon
04-30-2016, 12:09 AM
So much for him not rushing into a head coach position.

whats he going to do? wait another 3 years for the Lakers job to open up again?

He lives in LA, I'm sure the contract is way more then whatever he made as a player. hopefully the Lakers give him time to build and not rush the process.

DboneG
04-30-2016, 12:13 AM
WTF!! Numbnuts is with the Lakers! wow! I think Luke Walton just found out he was coaching.
Luke Walton and D'Angelo Russell will be great together.
Dumb and dumber.
Numbnuts and goofy.
Big goofey and young snitch

The good news is: Numbnuts is an improvement compared to Byron Russell. They can't do anything but, get better.

LivinLakers
04-30-2016, 12:31 AM
WTF!! Numbnuts is with the Lakers! wow! I think Luke Walton just found out he was coaching.
Dumb and dumber.
Numbnuts and goofy.

The good news is: Numbnuts is an improvement compared to Byron Russell. They can't do anything but, get better.
There should be an age and/or IQ requirement for people to post on here. It is Byron Scott not Byron Russell. Plus why do you call Luke numb nuts. Actually never mind, I don't really care.

Aust
04-30-2016, 12:42 AM
whats he going to do? wait another 3 years for the Lakers job to open up again?

He lives in LA, I'm sure the contract is way more then whatever he made as a player. hopefully the Lakers give him time to build and not rush the process.

I doubt the money is way more. He signed a 6yr 30m deal as a Laker.

Saddletramp
04-30-2016, 01:35 AM
I doubt the money is way more. He signed a 6yr 30m deal as a Laker.

Yeah, I think I remember people complaining that Walton was making $5 million a year to warm a bench basically because his dad is Bill Walton. Now, he'll be making $5 million basically because he was a Warriors assistant for a few years and his dad is Bill Walton.

ManningToTyree
04-30-2016, 01:43 AM
Good hire as long as he doesn't get pressure to win right away. Let him grow as a coach with the young core for a minimum of 3 years.

PayDaPiper
04-30-2016, 01:52 AM
As a Dubs fan I feel bad for Luke, but you cant pass up the opportunity. The Lakers are going to be trash and it doesn't matter who their coach is. They due have a lot of cap room though, maybe they can get a couple stars to sign??

As far as Luke being a good coach, who knows? I feel like I could of replaced Steve Kerr to start the season and been successful with the roster they have lol.

Luke will be easily replaceable, just like he replaced Alvin Gentry. Kerr is obviously the ring leader, next man up for assistant, plenty of options.

Iron24th
04-30-2016, 03:13 AM
Dumb and dumber.
Numbnuts and goofy.

LMAO dumb post of the night.

As a Dubs fan I feel bad for Luke, but you cant pass up the opportunity. The Lakers are going to be trash and it doesn't matter who their coach is. They due have a lot of cap room though, maybe they can get a couple stars to sign??

As far as Luke being a good coach, who knows? I feel like I could of replaced Steve Kerr to start the season and been successful with the roster they have lol.

Luke will be easily replaceable, just like he replaced Alvin Gentry. Kerr is obviously the ring leader, next man up for assistant, plenty of options.

Sounds like you're mad.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-30-2016, 03:20 AM
Luke Walton will be the next great coach in the NBA.

Phantom Dreamer
04-30-2016, 03:25 AM
How many coaches are the Lakers still paying?

jerellh528
04-30-2016, 03:29 AM
How many coaches are the Lakers still paying?

None, except for whatever they offered coach Walton.

PayDaPiper
04-30-2016, 03:44 AM
LMAO dumb post of the night.

Sounds like you're mad.

How does that sound like im mad :confused:

sf-fanatic
04-30-2016, 04:39 AM
How does this work when an assistant is hired off a current playoff team ? Does he continue coaching the Warriors till the end of the season or is he done ?

KB24PG16
04-30-2016, 05:55 AM
How does this work when an assistant is hired off a current playoff team ? Does he continue coaching the Warriors till the end of the season or is he done ?

yeah he'll stay with the warriors till the end just like gentry did last year

kdspurman
04-30-2016, 08:22 AM

Yea, same thing happened a couple years ago with Budenholzer. I was annoyed, felt like it might be a distraction lol

Iron24th
04-30-2016, 08:27 AM
How does that sound like im mad :confused:

Read your post closely.

eDush
04-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Well deserved :clap: Now he will implement the Warriors secret weapon of all the players and staff eating together and singing shambala during the regular season :nod:

Scoots
04-30-2016, 10:50 AM
I don't understand the Walton hate. Sure we don't know how he'll do as a head coach away from the Warriors, but it seems from the way some people are reacting that they know he secretly murders bunnies by hand or something.

Walton made the Warriors better ... I think he deserves a chance to do the same for the Lakers.

Heediot
04-30-2016, 11:04 AM
Good hire.

I predict Harrison Barnes will be a laker. If they land at 2 they draft Ingram, 1 they will draft Simmons. Ingram would be packaged later on to upgrade the interior, if they get Simmons Randle will be packaged to improve the 5 spot.

Tony_Starks
04-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Great move, I like the fact that they were decisive and didn't drag out a long search of the old rehashed coaches.

Luke is just what the Dr ordered.

Only two moves left: out with Jimmy, then bring back Jerry West where he belongs as GM.

TheNumber37
04-30-2016, 01:39 PM
35 mil 5 years, I'd assume

cmellofan15
04-30-2016, 02:04 PM
None, except for whatever they offered coach Walton.

I think he might be referring to coaches who got fired before their contracts were up, which would still only be Scott because technically D'Antoni's contract ended last year.

Saddletramp
04-30-2016, 02:21 PM
Well deserved :clap: Now he will implement the Warriors secret weapon of all the players and staff eating together and singing shambala during the regular season :nod:

Heck, if they're all digging Three Dog Night like I do, I might jump aboard.

Nah.

Sly Guy
04-30-2016, 02:50 PM

winnaR!

jerellh528
04-30-2016, 02:57 PM
I think he might be referring to coaches who got fired before their contracts were up, which would still only be Scott because technically D'Antoni's contract ended last year.

Yeah I know what he meant. Scott's final two years were team options, only first 2 were guaranteed. So they only coach they're paying is Walton after he signs the contract.

Scoots
04-30-2016, 03:46 PM
Great move, I like the fact that they were decisive and didn't drag out a long search of the old rehashed coaches.

Only two moves left: out with Jimmy, then bring back Jerry West where he belongs as GM.

Jerry doesn't want to GM anymore. You might be able to bring him in as a consultant ... but I don't know that he'd want to come back with the current structure there.

kobe4thewinbang
04-30-2016, 05:24 PM
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers 26s26 seconds ago

OFFICIAL: Lakers Announce Agreement With Luke Walton to Become New Head Coach:
I am on the fence about this decision by LAL front office. Byron Scott was the scapegoat and not tailored for young players, and he was a former Laker. Luke Walton had some moments as a Laker but was mostly a bench player, so I don't think it's that much of a reason to hire him. It doesn't hurt, though. I also am on the fence about his actual coaching skills. It's easy to win when you have Steph Curry and Klay Thompson and triple-double stud Draymond Green on the team. Now he'll have some prospects and possibly still have Nick Young.

But!

I do think the Lakers can benefit from a Warriors-style strategy in games, build a team with lots of capable shooters and emphasize team play. Now, Clarkson/Russell/Randle is clearly not Steph/Klay/Draymond but it's a start after the promise shown by the prospects last season, like the game where all three scored well together.

So, what will the Lakers do now in free agency?

Hassan Whiteside and DeMar DeRozan have been linked in rumors to become Lakers. DeRozan is not much of a shooter though, good driver but we'll have to see how Walton's style develops on a new team. I really don't know if he has one, or if he'll just make a new one based on the team roster. The Lakers definitely need upgrades, though. Obviously you don't resign Hibbert unless he's willing to take a minimum deal, Bass has been semi-decent, Young had a horrid year so doubtful anybody wants him and he can still hit the occasional 3 or get on a hot scoring run.

So, it'll be interesting with Kobe gone what the Lakers do and who wants to join the Lakers. If they have another awful season it will be a tough swallow for Lakers fans who are sick of that happening, and with Thibodeau joining the Timberwolves, Lakers must do SOMETHING to be relevant, even though I don't expect Walton to magically make them into contenders. But it does seem that this signing will make the team more attractive, especially now that Kobe's days are over.

I imagine that Walton must have a plan or a desire to turn this team around. It couldn't have just been the money. Maybe he wants to spread his own wings, or they may be some animosity over the COTY stuff.

Tony_Starks
04-30-2016, 07:03 PM
Jerry doesn't want to GM anymore. You might be able to bring him in as a consultant ... but I don't know that he'd want to come back with the current structure there.

His son is still in the front office. If they worked something out where he could groom him for the position, like he did Mitch, I'm pretty sure he'd go for it.

This is all contingent on Jimmy being out though, as long as he's calling the shots nothing changes.

For what it's worth Jerry has still been vocal about the state of the Lakers, even at a distance. He even went to the extent of publicly defending Jim Buss and saying that the criticism he receives is unfair.

He's die hard purple and gold, but fences would have to be mended to bring him back into the fold

TrueFan420
04-30-2016, 07:12 PM

I hope Blatt

eDush
04-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Jerry doesn't want to GM anymore. You might be able to bring him in as a consultant ... but I don't know that he'd want to come back with the current structure there.Agreed. He wouldn't want any part as long as Jim is in charge. I'm sure the Lakers hold onto Scott until Thibs was taken so the Lakers doesn't look bad for wanting Luke all along. They timed it perfectly to the demise is Scott unless someone really thought they would really ponder whether to keep him or not. Once Kobe retired, that was it....

Scoots
04-30-2016, 10:23 PM
I hope Blatt

It sounds like he's not on the list ... maybe because he's still getting some action as a head coach.

TrueFan420
05-01-2016, 01:17 AM
It sounds like he's not on the list ... maybe because he's still getting some action as a head coach.

Idk I think it might just be that Kerr looks to promote from within like what he did with Walton after gentry left

Scoots
05-01-2016, 11:28 AM
His son is still in the front office. If they worked something out where he could groom him for the position, like he did Mitch, I'm pretty sure he'd go for it.

This is all contingent on Jimmy being out though, as long as he's calling the shots nothing changes.

For what it's worth Jerry has still been vocal about the state of the Lakers, even at a distance. He even went to the extent of publicly defending Jim Buss and saying that the criticism he receives is unfair.

He's die hard purple and gold, but fences would have to be mended to bring him back into the fold

No doubt Jerry will always be a Laker. I just don't think he's looking for the amount of work GM entails.

Scoots
05-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Idk I think it might just be that Kerr looks to promote from within like what he did with Walton after gentry left

Kerr said they are going to fill the gig from the outside, but Blatt is clearly still looking for a head coaching gig.

lol, please
05-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Heard there was a good chance of this happening two days before the announcement. I am glad he took the job!

As someone said on KNBR the other day, it's his "destiny".

Hopfully he and the Lakers find success, though I would be really surprised if they were in contention anytime soon.

Scoots
05-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Heard there was a good chance of this happening two days before the announcement. I am glad he took the job!

As someone said on KNBR the other day, it's his "destiny".

Hopfully he and the Lakers find success, though I would be really surprised if they were in contention anytime soon.

Careful, your Lakers fanship is showing.

Bruno
05-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Good hire.

I predict Harrison Barnes will be a laker. If they land at 2 they draft Ingram, 1 they will draft Simmons. Ingram would be packaged later on to upgrade the interior, if they get Simmons Randle will be packaged to improve the 5 spot.

Yeah if you draft Simmons you eventually trade Randle, those guys play the same position. If you draft Ingram you can get away with keeping Randle as a part of the core. Randle has a hard profile to build around, a PF who can't spread the floor or defend the bucket. You only get away with it if you have a sharp shooter like Ingram at the 3 with good or great shooting from the PG or SG spot. If you only have mediocre shooting in the backcourt you need a stretch 5. it's possible to build around Randle but its harder to find the Marc Gasol/Horford/Kristaps/Myles Turner type centers to mesh with his game. not an ideal profile, but he will be a good player.

eDush
05-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Good hire.

Yeah if you draft Simmons you eventually trade Randle, those guys play the same position. If you draft Ingram you can get away with keeping Randle as a part of the core. Randle has a hard profile to build around, a PF who can't spread the floor or defend the bucket. You only get away with it if you have a sharp shooter like Ingram at the 3 with good or great shooting from the PG or SG spot. If you only have mediocre shooting in the backcourt you need a stretch 5. it's possible to build around Randle but its harder to find the Marc Gasol/Horford/Kristaps/Myles Turner type centers to mesh with his game. not an ideal profile, but he will be a good player.More importantly they need to resigned Clarkson for max money if need be as he will be their future SG that shoots the rock as well as any young player with great range. That would be one position the Lakers don't need to draft and Luke will turn him into the next Klay, trust me on this cause I know :nod:.

Lock this kid up long term.....

Scoots
05-01-2016, 08:37 PM
:rolleyes:

LA_Raiders
05-02-2016, 12:37 AM
He will be alright, but he is going to need some very good assistant coaches

numba1CHANGsta
05-02-2016, 01:42 AM

I'm interested to see who he chooses, would love to see MWP get a shot

Tony_Starks
05-02-2016, 10:16 AM

Hopefully he gets some solid vets as assistants.

If I see Derrick Mr Steal yo Girl Fisher on his bench I'm boycotting!!

Scoots
05-02-2016, 10:48 AM
His bench is something I was very curious about. Almost as much as who will replace him with the Warriors. My guess is Kerr has a short list of coaches to add, but I also wonder who Walton is going to want from the Warriors on his staff.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 02:48 PM
He has no track record to form an opinion on, but why not? He has been under systems that worked, is young, been around the game his whole life, he deserves a shot.

Tony_Starks
05-02-2016, 02:58 PM
He has no track record to form an opinion on, but why not? He has been under systems that worked, is young, been around the game his whole life, he deserves a shot.

His coaching track record is basically the same as Kerrs prior to Golden State really.

Plus Phil basically groomed him when he was habitually hurt. Kobe said he would always joke with him that he was another Phil with the mediocre career filled with injuries, basketball IQ, and he was a hippie! Lol

ewing
05-02-2016, 04:29 PM
I wonder if Mark Madsen is pissed

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 04:39 PM
I wonder if Mark Madsen is pissed

I heard he coaches cheerleading now

ewing
05-02-2016, 04:42 PM
I heard he coaches cheerleading now

nah, man he's paid his dues on the Laker bench. Pretty boy Walton flys right up the ladder with his gay bear tats. If i were Madsen i'd be upset

Hawkeye15
05-02-2016, 04:57 PM
nah, man he's paid his dues on the Laker bench. Pretty boy Walton flys right up the ladder with his gay bear tats. If i were Madsen i'd be upset

yeah but I think Madsen passed on the job. Something about his cheerleading team has more talent

lakerfan85
05-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Madsen will be a Laker girl next season..