PDA

View Full Version : Lakers and Rockets Granted Permission to Talk to Walton...the Kings? No

Tony_Starks
04-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Apparently they are interested but the feelings are not mutual.

Can't say I blame him, pretty sure how things went down with George Karl probably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way...

On a side note, is Luke really that hot of a commodity these days? Wow.

Sam Amick: As @MarcJSpearsESPN noted, the Rockets (like the Lakers) have received permission to speak with Luke Walton. The Kings, I’m told, have not. 43 mins ago – via Twitter sam_amick

Sam Amick: It’s clear Kings would like to speak with Luke Walton. What’s also clear is there are no indications that the interest is in any way mutual 43 mins ago – via Twitter sam_amick

Ball_Out
04-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Cant say I blame him

TrueFan420
04-28-2016, 04:53 PM
Lol def can't blame him for saying no to the Kings. I think it would be a mistake for him leave this after just this year. Plus the Lakers still have a lot of work to be done and an inpatient ownership/management. The rockets are a hot mess but the talent is there. Question will be if he thinks he can get harden to play defense.

HeartOfStarks
04-28-2016, 05:10 PM

Can't say I blame him, pretty sure how things went down with George Karl probably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way...

Sam Amick: As @MarcJSpearsESPN noted, the Rockets (like the Lakers) have received permission to speak with Luke Walton. The Kings, I’m told, have not. 43 mins ago – via Twitter sam_amick

Sam Amick: It’s clear Kings would like to speak with Luke Walton. What’s also clear is there are no indications that the interest is in any way mutual 43 mins ago – via Twitter sam_amick

+1. I'm curious to see in a couple years, after he's head coached a different team for a bit, what the general consensus on him is. Right now he (& honestly Kerr as well), I don't personally feel like I know if these guys are actually quality coaches. They're at the helm of an allstar team basically.

Maybe they're both really great coaches who will go on for 20+ (and in Walton's case longer than that) years to have amazing careers, but at this point it's not out of the question that the polar opposite happens and the next time either of them take charge of a crappy team or mid-tier team, the perception on their ability changes.

Just some thoughts, especially since the Knicks were for a fleeting moment linked to Walton (who I have the same feeling about coming to us. I obviously prefer him to Rambis, but I don't really know if Walton is actually a great coach or not)

DboneG
04-28-2016, 05:15 PM
AM I MISSING SOMETHING!! Since when did Luke "numb nuts" Walton became a much sought-after coach?! It would look like he should grant every one permission to talk to him. The arrogance of this guy!!! Wow! smh

What's wrong with these guys...

Ettore Messina of the Spurs ain't getting no luv.

Kevin Ollie

Sam Cassell

Mike D’Antoni

Mark Jackson

Monty Williams

Vinny Del Negro

Avery Johnson

Nate McMillan

Mike Malone

Jeff Van Gundy

Kenny Atkinson....Hawks asst.

Ime Udoka....Spurs asst.

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2016, 05:36 PM
AM I MISSING SOMETHING!! Since when did Luke "numb nuts" Walton became a much sought-after coach?! It would look like he should grant every one permission to talk to him. The arrogance of this guy!!! Wow! smh

Kevin Ollie

Sam Cassell

Mike D’Antoni

Mark Jackson

Monty Williams

Vinny Del Negro

Avery Johnson

Nate McMillan

Mike Malone

Jeff Van Gundy

Ime Udoka....Spurs asst.

I thought the Hawks assistant signed with the Nets?

There are some good options there. Cassell should get a chance. I think Monty Williams is a great option to team building toward something and developing a team and young players (LAL).

I think Avery Johnson has the same thing Mark Jackson has going on: just a bad reputation despite some impressive accomplishments. It's weird. Also... I think they both would want longer contracts, and teams might only want to offer three years to those guys to see how things pan out.

McMillan had a nice run with Seattle, but not so impressive with the Trailblazers. I think that not sitting well with most people. JVG seems picky about what job he takes next, as he should be.

As for Mike Malone is with the Nuggets, no?

'Antoni has shot himself in the foot with his offense-only approach.

europagnpilgrim
04-28-2016, 06:22 PM

Kevin Ollie

Sam Cassell

Mike D’Antoni

Mark Jackson

Monty Williams

Vinny Del Negro

Avery Johnson

Nate McMillan

Mike Malone

Jeff Van Gundy

Ime Udoka....Spurs asst.

May as well throw Patrick Ewing name in that mix also, Abdul Jabbar and B Shaw and a few others i cant think of right at this moment

DboneG
04-28-2016, 06:56 PM
@ JasonJohnHorn...correct. Mike Malone....Nuggets, and Kenny Atkinson...Nets.

@ europagnpilgrim ....right! I forgot Patrick Ewing! Kareem Abdul Jabbar? He want to coach? Didn't know that. I didn't like what Brian Shaw did to Andre Miller, when he was coaching. Gave him the first “Did Not Play — Coach’s Decision” of his 15-year NBA career...

Ariza's Better
04-28-2016, 07:02 PM

Kevin Ollie

Sam Cassell

Mike D’Antoni

Mark Jackson

Monty Williams

Vinny Del Negro

Avery Johnson

Nate McMillan

Mike Malone

Jeff Van Gundy

Ime Udoka....Spurs asst.
Wait what? Mike Malone and Kenny Atkinson are already head coaches.

Nate McMillan, Jeff Van Gundy, Ettore Messina and Del Negro are being interviewed for HC jobs.

Scoots
04-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Williams is still dealing with his family and isn't ready to be a head coach right now.

Kevin Ollie and Ewing are getting some play. Some teams are in a hurry, others are taking their time to work through the options.

On Kerr maybe not being a good coach. He's a good coach. He makes good adjustments in the playoffs and he's good at keeping the team focused and together. I don't know that Walton can do all of those things starting on a new team.

SfgiantsJD3
04-28-2016, 07:11 PM

Warriors said they would grant anyone permission, maybe it just hasn't been done yet or Sac doesn't want him for a Head coach or the timing doesn't work until they know if they play Sunday or Tuesday.

DboneG
04-28-2016, 07:12 PM
Wait what? Mike Malone and Kenny Atkinson are already head coaches.

Nate McMillan, Jeff Van Gundy, Ettore Messina and Del Negro are being interviewed for HC jobs.

Cool! I still think it's arrogant of Luke Walton to not even listen to what someone has to offer.

Tony_Starks
04-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Warriors said they would grant anyone permission, maybe it just hasn't been done yet or Sac doesn't want him for a Head coach or the timing doesn't work until they know if they play Sunday or Tuesday.

Kerr said he told Mitch the Lakers could talk to him after the Houston series. Sounds like Houston got the same offer as well.

Sac is interviewing and hiring people right now, I can't see why they would wait to talk to Luke.

All signs point to he's not interested.

More-Than-Most
04-28-2016, 10:08 PM
I cant wait till one organization screws themselves and signs this dude for a ton while watching him try to implement warriors strats into his new teams... He like Kerr is a product of that insane team and we will see that as soon as next year

His own father even understands how much of a mistake it would be to leave the warriors.

Scoots
04-28-2016, 10:26 PM
Remember that the Kings kooky owner came from the Warriors. Walton knows what he'd be getting into there with inside info.

Mave1002
04-29-2016, 07:35 AM

Kevin Ollie

Sam Cassell

Mike D’Antoni

Mark Jackson

Monty Williams

Vinny Del Negro

Avery Johnson

Nate McMillan

Mike Malone

Jeff Van Gundy

Ime Udoka....Spurs asst.

?

IndyRealist
04-29-2016, 11:03 AM

Kevin Ollie

Sam Cassell

Mike D’Antoni

Mark Jackson

Monty Williams

Vinny Del Negro

Avery Johnson

Nate McMillan

Mike Malone

Jeff Van Gundy

Ime Udoka....Spurs asst.

Luke Walton doesn't have to leave the Warriors. He can wait for a perfect situation to jump into. The Kings aren't it.

And the team grants permission to talk to a coach under contract, not the coach. Perhaps they have something against Randive, or they are protecting Walton on their own. Who knows.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Keep in mind coaching is a fraternity. They may have very well seen the way the Kings jerked Karl around and threw him under the bus all season and want no parts of it.

sep11ie
04-29-2016, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't want anything to do with the Kings either. They have a great fan base that the current ownership has jerked around, a revolving door for coaches, and don't have a bright future(like the Wolves for instance). Can't call him arrogant for that...

Jamiecballer
04-29-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm confused. Granting permission sounds like it has more to do with golden state being douche bags and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong than it does Luke Walton saying thanks bit no thanks to the interview... I am def missing something here

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Tony_Starks
04-29-2016, 12:13 PM
I'm confused. Granting permission sounds like it has more to do with golden state being douche bags and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong than it does Luke Walton saying thanks bit no thanks to the interview... I am def missing something here

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Management: "Luke you want to entertain this shambles of a team?"

Luke: 'Nah, not really'

Management: "Don't even worry about it we'll blow them off!"

Luke: 'Cool, now when is Steve going to cut that trophy in half?'

FOXHOUND
04-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Why would anyone want to coach the Kings? lol

Steve Kerr and Luke Walton are definitely good coaches, especially Steve Kerr. They have absolutely maximized that roster and Walton's insistence on Curry bombing 10+ 3's a game and Green being more of a playmaker out of the post helped both raise their games this year.

Walton isn't dumb though, he's still a young coach and still has plenty to learn. If he's going to leave the Warriors it has to be the right situation. The team has to have some promising talent and those teams have to be heady organizations who will give him time to grow as a coach.

The Lakers fit that bill with their youth, cap space and patience with Byron Scott as he led them to their worst records ever. The Rockets have Harden, cap space but I'm not sure the patience. I honestly wouldn't take that job because one bad offseason/another disappointing season may mean the end of Morey and a new GM/President may want to bring in their own coach. Also, Harden is a nightmare personality.

Edit: Adding to the Houston situation - the Kevin McHale situation. They fired him 11 games into the season after signing him to a new big contract and a year after he led them to the WCF including an amazing upset/comeback in the 2nd round. And why? From all angles it looked like it was because of Harden, because he no longer wanted to do things like play defense and diva'd him right out of a job.

I'm not sure why any coach would look at that situation and feel good about it.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Why would anyone want to coach the Kings? lol

Steve Kerr and Luke Walton are definitely good coaches, especially Steve Kerr. They have absolutely maximized that roster and Walton's insistence on Curry bombing 10+ 3's a game and Green being more of a playmaker out of the post helped both raise their games this year.

Walton isn't dumb though, he's still a young coach and still has plenty to learn. If he's going to leave the Warriors it has to be the right situation. The team has to have some promising talent and those teams have to be heady organizations who will give him time to grow as a coach.

The Lakers fit that bill with their youth, cap space and patience with Byron Scott as he led them to their worst records ever. The Rockets have Harden, cap space but I'm not sure the patience. I honestly wouldn't take that job because one bad offseason/another disappointing season may mean the end of Morey and a new GM/President may want to bring in their own coach. Also, Harden is a nightmare personality.

Edit: Adding to the Houston situation - the Kevin McHale situation. They fired him 11 games into the season after signing him to a new big contract and a year after he led them to the WCF including an amazing upset/comeback in the 2nd round. And why? From all angles it looked like it was because of Harden, because he no longer wanted to do things like play defense and diva'd him right out of a job.

I'm not sure why any coach would look at that situation and feel good about it.

You know what's crazy is that Byron basically played the bad cop last season paving the way for Luke to come in and be the good cop.

The kids are going to appreciate their playing time a lot more under Luke, and will probably be relieved to have a dude that can actually relate to them as opposed to Scott the disciplinarian. (assuming he takes the gig)

Say what you want about Scott but he really took one for the team last year, literally.

IndyRealist
04-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Signing McHale to a contract and then firing him was a favor, not a mark against the organization. McHale's getting paid to stay home.

sep11ie
04-29-2016, 03:24 PM
And let's not all act like McHale was decent coach all of the sudden.