PDA

View Full Version : Would an alternate 'Dream Team' have beaten the actual one?

JasonJohnHorn
04-26-2016, 10:02 PM
The original Dream Team is about as epic as you can get, but if we are being honest, Laettner was a lame pick, and Bird and Magic weren't in a position to contribute much, and neither Ewing or DRob were the best C in the league at the time.

So, would an alternate 'Dream Team' have been able to beat them?

Consider who likely would have been on that roster:

PG: Isiah Thomas/Kevin Johnson/Tim Hardaway/Mark Price
SG: Joe Dumars/Reggie Miller/Mitch Richmond
SF: Nique/Worthy/Chambers/
PF: Rodman/Webber/Larry Johnson
C: Hakeem/Shaq/Brad Daughtery

Obviously that is more than 12 players, but I imagine people would debate over who should be on, so I added some options and likely left off legit options as well, so feel free to add a few names if you like.

I think the Dream Team would win PF/SF/SG, but not by as much as they would lose the C spot, and I think the PG spot would go to the alternate team.

Thoughts? Who could have matched up?

ewing
04-27-2016, 09:05 AM
No and while Bird's back was crippled at that point i am pretty sure Magic average like 19 and 13 in 91. He was still the best PG in the NBA. Micheal was the best player in the NBA. Malone and Chuck were the 2 best PFs in the league, Ewing and Drob weren't a stretch the stretch for the team you are making them sound, and Hakeem wasn't American

ManningToTyree
04-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Looks like the silver medal team

KnicksorBust
04-27-2016, 11:49 AM
I like reading your posts JJH but this is bad. Just because they have Hakeem is not enough reason to even entertain this. It's be a 4-0 sweep in a series. They would win the gold though.

ewing
04-27-2016, 01:57 PM
I like reading your posts JJH but this is bad. Just because they have Hakeem is not enough reason to even entertain this. It's be a 4-0 sweep in a series. They would win the gold though.

Hakeem didn't become a US citizen til after the 92 games. He was not eligible

mrblisterdundee
04-27-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm assembling a more recent team I think could beat the dream team.

Original Dream Team, 1992:
PG - Magic Johnson, John Stockton
SG - Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler
SF - Larry Bird, Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullin
PF - Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Christian Laettner
C - David Robinson, Patrick Ewing

Potential Dream Team, 2008:
PG - Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson
SG - Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade
SF - LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony
PF - Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett
C - Amare Stoudemire, Dwight Howard

FlashBolt
04-27-2016, 02:53 PM
2012 Olympics team beats the original Dream Team.

KnicksorBust
04-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Hakeem didn't become a US citizen til after the 92 games. He was not eligible

So? It's a hypothetical team anyway. Who cares about eligibility? It's his belief that a team starting Rodman and Dumars is going to be peak MJ and the Dream Team.

I'm assembling a more recent team I think could beat the dream team.

Original Dream Team, 1992:
PG - Magic Johnson, John Stockton
SG - Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler
SF - Larry Bird, Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullin
PF - Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Christian Laettner
C - David Robinson, Patrick Ewing

Potential Dream Team, 2008:
PG - Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson
SG - Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade
SF - LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony
PF - Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett
C - Amare Stoudemire, Dwight Howard

Barkley > Mailman for Dream Team in 92 and slide Duncan to Center for 2008 and either play Garnett or go small ball with LeBron at the 4.

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2016, 05:47 PM

That's fair. I'm pretty high on Hakeem.... I think he out classes DRob and Ewing (who were both fantastic mind you), as easily as Jordan outclasses Drexler (who is also amazing).

I think the point guard position would be important in this instance, and also Rodman's defense and rebounding.

I would argue that this alternate dream team would win, but I have a friend who argues this, and I'm just curious what other people think. What would their chances be, and how well would they match up.

ewing
04-27-2016, 11:20 PM
That's fair. I'm pretty high on Hakeem.... I think he out classes DRob and Ewing (who were both fantastic mind you), as easily as Jordan outclasses Drexler (who is also amazing).

I think the point guard position would be important in this instance, and also Rodman's defense and rebounding.

I would argue that this alternate dream team would win, but I have a friend who argues this, and I'm just curious what other people think. What would their chances be, and how well would they match up.

no offense JJH but i don't think you have a case here. Johnson and Stockton are the two best PGs in my mind, especially when given a wealth of offensive talent to work with, i don't see Dennis having much impact. He was a great one on one defender but does that really matter against this squad. They don't need to clear out for Charles or Karl and they will still get theres in transition off ball movement when other guys break down the D. Hekeem is the best center but is really the only spot your team wins IMO.

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2016, 10:11 AM
no offense JJH but i don't think you have a case here. Johnson and Stockton are the two best PGs in my mind, especially when given a wealth of offensive talent to work with, i don't see Dennis having much impact. He was a great one on one defender but does that really matter against this squad. They don't need to clear out for Charles or Karl and they will still get theres in transition off ball movement when other guys break down the D. Hekeem is the best center but is really the only spot your team wins IMO.

I don't disagree with most of what you wrote here. I think Hakeem would be a huge factor, and I think both the defensive prowess of both Rodman and Dumars would impact the series. I don't think the alternate team would win. As I mentioned, this is an argument a friend of mine put forward and I was more curious what other people thought.

As to the point guard... if I were making my all time point guard list, Magic and Stockton make up the top three with Oscar. No doubt. But the Magic (and Bird for the that matter) that played on the Olympic team weren't playing at the level that they had played at in the 80's. Magic had time off due to his illness, and so wasn't at his peek. Of course, the flip side to that was that Thomas wasn't either. But Kevin Johnson and Tim Hardaway were both at the pique of their respective careers. Though, as you might well point out rightly, so too was Stockton. I think the point guard match up would be interesting, because I remember how Magic was a bit lethargic in the Olympics compared to the way he played against the Pistons in the finals, and even against the Bulls in the finals. He relied a little more more on size. And Stockton was never 'great' at defending guys like Tim Hardaway who were lightening fast (though I am a HUGE Stockton fan and do think he was a great team defender, and likely the best defender ever with respect to guarding the passing lanes- something Bird was also amazing at).

I think the point guard match-ups would be great. I'm not suggesting Magic and Stockton wouldn't win them, but I think Kevin Johnson and Tim Hardaway would do very well and could potentially take that position in a match up.

I also think Hakeem would just dominate ether Ewing or DRob (we've seen him do this in the playoffs) and Shaq, though young, would have matched up well with Ewing (though I think DRob would certainly get the better of him). I remember when Shaq was a rookie, SI did an article on how he performed against elite centers (Ewing, DRob, Hakeem), and his averages against them were much lower that year than against the rest of the league, but he performed best against Ewing of the three.

I think the original Dream Team would win. If I were putting money down, that's who I'd bet on. But I think a 7-game series against the two would be interesting and could very well go 7 games. And I'd love to see Rodman against Chuck and Malone, and I'd love to see Dumars against Jordan again, especially in that context. Keep in mind, Dumars played against Jordan 4 times in the playoffs and came out on top 3 times. And Rodman was very effective against Malone in the finals in back-to-back finals match-ups, and that was when Rodman was a little older.

Again... this was something a friend of mine put forward to me, and I was curious what others thought. I don't mean to make an argument either way, just see what others think of these match-ups. I definitely give the edge to the original Dream Team.