PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Sources say Steve Kerr has won COY

kdspurman
04-26-2016, 12:07 PM

lakerfan85
04-26-2016, 12:11 PM
Kerr is a great coach but no way should he have won coach of the year.. I get the Warriors won 73 games and all but how many games did he miss??

Hawkeye15
04-26-2016, 12:11 PM
Hof

Tony_Starks
04-26-2016, 12:18 PM
I can't give it to him with Luke coaching the beginning of the season. Sorry.

I would've gave it to Terry Stotts. Portland was predicted by all the "experts," and a lot of folks on here, to be one of the worst teams in the league.

He's done a tremendous job.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2016, 12:19 PM
I can't give it to him with Luke coaching the beginning of the season. Sorry.

I would've gave it to Terry Stotts. Portland was predicted by all the "experts," and a lot of folks on here, to be one of the worst teams in the league.

He's done a tremendous job.

Stotts, or Stevens, for sure.

effen5
04-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Man Freddie Hoiberg got robbed....CLEAR COY

FOXHOUND
04-26-2016, 12:30 PM
I would have gone with Pop, who had the best regular season of not only the Pop era but of Spurs history.

But since the rule is what it is, technically Kerr went 73-9.

Htownballa1622
04-26-2016, 12:32 PM
And....

I was right.

ManningToTyree
04-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Should be co COY with Walton.

Ball_Out
04-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Lue

ewing
04-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Scott

Hawkeye15
04-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Scott

as in Byron?

ugottabjoshinme
04-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Yea Kerr missed time, but he obviously had influence on what Luke Walton did behind the scenes.

TrueFan420
04-26-2016, 02:26 PM
I would have given it to someone else. Portland or Celtics coach are good options. Pop is always a great option. Kerr will get his COY award at some point. He was a deserving option last year. Maybe even next year he gets it but he missed half the season. That's like giving MVP to a player who played 41 games. But whatever. I put very little stock in these awards anyway.

Saddletramp
04-26-2016, 02:30 PM
So I guess it's not Coach of the Year as much as it is System of the Year. Gotcha.

And yeah, I'd probably vote for Stotts for it. Still not sure how they got the fifth seed and might advance.

BKLYNpigeon
04-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Kerr said he was cutting the trophy in half and giving a pice to Luke Walton.

I'm sure the voting was close.

well deserved!

DboneG
04-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Living in America! We all know, all you have to do with GSW is sit there! This team is on automatic. Like Luke Walton, just sat there looked good and won games.
How do this guy Kerr get COY award and missed half of the season!! C'mon! It's a joke!!

Terry Stotts of the Blazers did one heck of a job. My choice
Brad Stevens of the Celtics, did a superb job this year! Bright future ahead. My second choice.
Dave Joerger of the Grizzlies, worked wonders this year! But, everyone knew he wasn't going to win. Real COY
Gregg Poopovich of the Spurs did a nice job. But, I'd never vote for him. He could go 82-0, and I'd find some reason not to vote for this jag!

Phantom Dreamer
04-26-2016, 03:08 PM
A team wins a record breaking 73 games and you don't think the coach deserves Coach of the Year? That doesn't make any sense.

Raidaz4Life
04-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Fluke!

valade16
04-26-2016, 03:18 PM
A team wins a record breaking 73 games and you don't think the coach deserves Coach of the Year? That doesn't make any sense.

Both Terry Stotts and Brad Stevens won more games this season than Steve Kerr as the coach.

Mell413
04-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Stotts would have been my choice. I figured they would make the playoffs, but didn't think they would get the 5th seed.

sf-fanatic
04-26-2016, 03:48 PM
I think the problem is the nba rule. The official nba rule says Luke Walton won 0 games and Steve Kerr won 73, so Kerr is deserving of the award for a record setting season.

Allphakenny1
04-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Living in America! We all know, all you have to do with GSW is sit there! This team is on automatic. Like Luke Walton, just sat there looked good and won games.
How do this guy Kerr get COY award and missed half of the season!! C'mon! It's a joke!!

Terry Stotts of the Blazers did one heck of a job. My choice
Brad Stevens of the Celtics, did a superb job this year! Bright future ahead. My second choice.
Dave Joerger of the Grizzlies, worked wonders this year! But, everyone knew he wasn't going to win. Real COY
Gregg Poopovich of the Spurs did a nice job. But, I'd never vote for him. He could go 82-0, and I'd find some reason not to vote for this jag!

The problem with your argument is that the reason this team can win on automatic is because of the system and coaching of Kerr. So the argument that the team can win without him there is only a testament to how great of a coach he is. He should have been COY last year.

BTW, I hate how the rules on voting are so set in stone. It should be Kerr and Walton as co COY. After that it should be the Blazers coach.

DboneG
04-26-2016, 04:11 PM
The problem with your argument is that the reason this team can win on automatic is because of the system and coaching of Kerr. So the argument that the team can win without him there is only a testament to how great of a coach he is. He should have been COY last year.

BTW, I hate how the rules on voting are so set in stone. It should be Kerr and Walton as co COY. After that it should be the Blazers coach.

Nooo! They won with Mark Jackson...Steve Kerr just tweaked a few things. I believe GSW would have won a title with Mark Jackson. You could just see something special was going on over there. Heck! They even won with numb nuts Luke! GWS could make you the coach and they will win. Don't do anything! Just sit there..the assistants wlll whisper in yo ear.

valade16
04-26-2016, 04:38 PM
I think the problem is the nba rule. The official nba rule says Luke Walton won 0 games and Steve Kerr won 73, so Kerr is deserving of the award for a record setting season.

Yeah I don't blame Kerr or the Warriors for him winning it. The NBA rule is stupid but it is what it is. Kerr is a great coach regardless and I think he'll get more COY trophies in the future.

TrueFan420
04-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Nooo! They won with Mark Jackson...Steve Kerr just tweaked a few things. I believe GSW would have won a title with Mark Jackson. You could just see something special was going on over there. Heck! They even won with numb nuts Luke! GWS could make you the coach and they will win. Don't do anything! Just sit there..the assistants wlll whisper in yo ear.
You must not of watched them under Jackson. they'd have never won a championship with him as head coach. He had no idea how to maximize their offensive skills. He got them to buy in which is important as a coach but had them playing ISO ball when you entire starting 5 was all above average passers. There are different coaches for different stages and Jackson isn't a coach for a championship team. Now he could prove me wrong and learn from his short comings with the dubs but until then he's transitional coach.

numba1CHANGsta
04-26-2016, 05:12 PM
There was no way he wasn't going to get it since his team broke the NBA wins record

mikekhelxD
04-26-2016, 05:19 PM
The best thing for this if Kerr says that Luke deserves it as much if not more.

DboneG
04-26-2016, 06:09 PM
You must not of watched them under Jackson. they'd have never won a championship with him as head coach. He had no idea how to maximize their offensive skills. He got them to buy in which is important as a coach but had them playing ISO ball when you entire starting 5 was all above average passers. There are different coaches for different stages and Jackson isn't a coach for a championship team. Now he could prove me wrong and learn from his short comings with the dubs but until then he's transitional coach.

I don't know about that. This GSW team is so amazing, I think they would have won a title with Mark Jackson. You could see they were on to something special over there...then, Mark Jackson got fired. That's why Jackson was bitter. Enjoy the run, because, it won't last forever.

TrueFan420
04-26-2016, 06:55 PM
I don't know about that. This GSW team is so amazing, I think they would have won a title with Mark Jackson. You could see they were on to something special over there...then, Mark Jackson got fired. That's why Jackson was bitter. Enjoy the run, because, it won't last forever.
Hahah this Warrior team is made up of much of the same personal. Jackson did not know how to best utilize them offensively. Jackson wasn't fired either. His contract was not renewed. That's a massive difference. Jackson was/is bitter because he's egotistical. Yes won't last forever and I'm enjoying.

Scoots
04-26-2016, 08:59 PM
Kerr probably should have got it last year but didn't ... this year was a lot closer, so I figure this is part about this year and part about last year.

TrueFan420
04-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Kerr probably should have got it last year but didn't ... this year was a lot closer, so I figure this is part about this year and part about last year.
No doubt but he still missed too much of the year. They could have and should have just gave it to him next year.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2016, 09:36 PM
it's hard to not give COY to a record shattering 73-9 team.

TrueFan420
04-26-2016, 10:03 PM
it's hard to not give COY to a record shattering 73-9 team.

True but he also missed half the season and while he implemented the system and was involved while out its still not the same. They could have waited a year and just gave it to him next year. The Warriors will have a very good record again and in the hunt for championship again. It could have waited a season.

zn23
04-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Steve Kerr is a very good coach, definitely an improvement over Mark Jackson. However, Brad Stevens had less to work with and guided his team to a respectable 48 wins. I think he should have gotten it. But as some have mentioned, Kerr probably should have gotten it last year and they did win 73 games this year.

Allphakenny1
04-26-2016, 10:15 PM
True but he also missed half the season and while he implemented the system and was involved while out its still not the same. They could have waited a year and just gave it to him next year. The Warriors will have a very good record again and in the hunt for championship again. It could have waited a season.

Problem is if he did not get it in his first year when the team mad the leap from good to great, and did not win it when his team went from great to best ever, he would not win it next year.

It is hard to give it to a guy whose team did worse than the year before when there is a coach who vastly over achieved from what they were expected to do. There are teams that vastly over achieve every year so we know that will happen. Also, we have to expect that the Warriors will not win 70 plus games next year, so there will for sure be a coach with a better story than Kerr next year. If he does not win it now, he may never win one.

COOLbeans
04-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Kerr coached his butt off, well deserved

TrueFan420
04-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Problem is if he did not get it in his first year when the team mad the leap from good to great, and did not win it when his team went from great to best ever, he would not win it next year.

It is hard to give it to a guy whose team did worse than the year before when there is a coach who vastly over achieved from what they were expected to do. There are teams that vastly over achieve every year so we know that will happen. Also, we have to expect that the Warriors will not win 70 plus games next year, so there will for sure be a coach with a better story than Kerr next year. If he does not win it now, he may never win one.

Pop didn't get his first coach of the year award till 2003. Which was 6-7 years after he joined the Spurs and I think his second championship season. If Kerr stays with the Warriors, which he will, and the Warriors top players stay healthy they'll be a top team for a long while and win a few championships. He will get more chances. I get why they did it. He should have got it last year. But it could have waited another year. And when he got it everyone would talk about how it's overdue and deserved it versus he missed half the year.

TrueFan420
04-26-2016, 11:27 PM
Just watched the presser and damn got to say I got so much respect for how Kerr doles out credit to everyone. Such a change from some of our old coaches. He gives love to all the coaches, the players and management. They were surprising emotional too.

CHANGO
04-27-2016, 12:48 AM
Surprised to see Stevens so low, my pick would be Stotts, Pop or Stevens.

*Silver&Black*
04-27-2016, 03:24 AM
Hey NBA, Stotts was misspelled.

eDush
05-01-2016, 02:23 AM

Nooo! They won with Mark Jackson...Steve Kerr just tweaked a few things. I believe GSW would have won a title with Mark Jackson. You could just see something special was going on over there. Heck! They even won with numb nuts Luke! GWS could make you the coach and they will win. Don't do anything! Just sit there..the assistants wlll whisper in yo ear.Stop fooling yourself. This belongs to Kerr and it would be unfair to take it away from him.. Luke and Jackson deserve special honorary mention only.