PDA

View Full Version : Lakers fire HC Byron Scott: Who should be the coach?

FlashBolt
04-24-2016, 11:12 PM
Expected it. Who should take over?

sf-fanatic
04-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Luke Walton has to be one of the top 3 candidates

lakerfan85
04-24-2016, 11:20 PM
Jim buss will step down to coach the team.. :)

Lakers + Giants
04-24-2016, 11:20 PM
:dance: So ****in happy right now.

still1ballin
04-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Nioocee

basketballkitty
04-24-2016, 11:27 PM
However this situation also will hinder any thoughts of any Big time free agents signing there as well. Especially if the new Coach is some rookie...even Luke Walton, cause he carries no weight with NBA Vet free agents.

Lakers + Giants
04-24-2016, 11:33 PM
However this situation also will hinder any thoughts of any Big time free agents signing there as well. Especially if the new Coach is some rookie...even Luke Walton, cause he carries no weight with NBA Vet free agents.

So you're saying that as a FA, you're more likely to sign with Byron Scott as the HC of the lakers than without? :laugh2:

basketballkitty
04-24-2016, 11:36 PM
So you're saying that as a FA, you're more likely to sign with Byron Scott as the HC of the lakers than without? :laugh2:

Not that as much as it is the point of them not knowing what direction they want to go. I mean the 3rd coach fired in 4 years ?

Lakers + Giants
04-24-2016, 11:37 PM
Not that as much as it is the point of them not knowing what direction they want to go. I mean the 3rd coach fired in 4 years ?

Still, you cant defend this... "Byron Scott is more games under .500 than any coach in NBA history." Can't get any worse.

Aust
04-24-2016, 11:56 PM
wtf was the point in doing it after Brooks and Thibs signed elsewhere?? Did we not have any interest in either one?

numba1CHANGsta
04-24-2016, 11:57 PM
"Tanks" for the Memories B. Scott :D

More-Than-Most
04-25-2016, 12:00 AM
wtf was the point in doing it after Brooks and Thibs signed elsewhere?? Did we not have any interest in either one?

this is the thing that is most ******** to me... like wtf lol

TrueFan420
04-25-2016, 12:01 AM

More likely that they had no interest in the Lakers

TheNumber37
04-25-2016, 12:01 AM
George Karl

Mark Jackson

europagnpilgrim
04-25-2016, 12:14 AM
Phil Jackson

or top Spurs assistant or give it to someone like a P Ewing or go after B Shaw if you cant land the big fish

well if they can somehow get Magic to run the show with Mitch and lure a couple free agents, a superstar type and another all star caliber, makes a pretty good storyline for the social media fanatics and would at least give the nba some much needed offseason clout during the mlb and upcoming nfl seasons, especially landing Phil back in the fold

TDE
04-25-2016, 12:14 AM

WOJ: Tom Thibodeau always believed he could lure free agents to the Los Angeles Lakers, that the proper structure and vision still makes that franchise the ultimate superstar destination. Thibodeau always had his eyes on the most glamorous job in basketball, but the Lakers hesitated and missed the chance to recruit him.

David Aldrige: Brooks was intrigued by Lakers gig, and Rockets wanted him, but Washington worked quickly 4 a deal before LA and/or Houston jobs opened.

Aust
04-25-2016, 12:17 AM

Not true.

Former Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau is going to take over as the head coach and team president of the Minnesota Timberwolves. However, according to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Timberwolves were not Thibodeau's first choice. He wanted to coach the Los Angeles Lakers -- a role he coveted for quite some time.

Yet according to Wojnarowski's story, the organization's internal debate on the fate of current coach Byron Scott caused them to miss out on Thibodeau.

From Wojnarowski:

Tom Thibodeau always believed he could lure free agents to the Los Angeles Lakers, that the proper structure and vision still makes that franchise the ultimate superstar destination. Thibodeau always had his eyes on the most glamorous job in basketball, but the Lakers hesitated and missed the chance to recruit him.

To suggest it would've been an easy choice to choose the Lakers over the Timberwolves for Thibodeau is nave, but make no mistake: It would've been a choice for him. Thibodeau uses his USA Basketball coaching job to build relationships with the best players in the world, potential free agents including Kevin Durant and James Harden, Russell Westbrook and, yes, LeBron James, too.

LaMarcus Aldridge was dying for the Lakers to blow him away in a free-agent presentation on July 1 and left the room deflated over the parade of marketing and partnership suits that sold him on the residual impacts of playing for the Lakers. Had that been a Tom Thibodeau basketball presentation to Aldridge, there are those who believe Aldridge would've been swayed to sign there.

Thibodeau does have a big ego, and yes, the bright lights of the Staples Center, the Lakers' prestige, intrigued him. To win a title is most important, yes, but to win with the Lakers would've been historic, and Thibodeau cares about his place in history. Nevertheless, the Buss family is too fractured to turn power over to one person never mind an outsider and maybe Thibodeau and the Lakers were never made to work.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lakers-missed-their-chance-with-tom-thibodeau-211151370.html

Former Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Scott Brooks "has interest in a position with the Lakers should it become available," according to Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders.

The Lakers would be better off parting ways with Scott, looking instead at free agent coaches like Scott Brooks or Tom Thibodeau. Brooks, in particular, should be the replacement.

Brooks, according to people close to the 2010 NBA Coach of the Year, has interest in a position with the Lakers should it become available

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/fixing-the-los-angeles-lakers/

I could see Brooks maybe using us as leverage to get more money, the Thibs one sounds legit.

Lakers + Giants
04-25-2016, 12:21 AM

Lakers are too proud of an organization to give full power to 1 person (thibs). Brooks is meh.

L8kers4life
04-25-2016, 12:22 AM
This is a great day for the Lakers, Byron was a puppet strictly used to stroke Kobe' s ego. There are plenty of good canidates, but I would like the Lakers to take a shot on Monty Williams. He has proven he can win with young talent, he is well respected and Kevin Durant, Westbrook love him. Not only could be coach this team and develop, he can be a recruiter and respectable new face of this franchise. With that being said, I think Luke Walton is the next Lakers coach!

Aust
04-25-2016, 12:22 AM
I hope we didn't miss out on these guys because we were dragging our feet..... :facepalm:

If we hire some old retread name AGAIN my head is going to explode. Get a young college coach or a hot assistant, somebody fresh. I'm still bitter about missing out on Stevens. I knew he would be a damn good NBA coach.

Lakerfan32
04-25-2016, 12:31 AM
I bet we here that there's something in the works for Kevin Ollie from Uconn. Good friends with Durant who's a free agent and a bright up and coming college coach who's got a rep as being player friendly.

NFLNBA
04-25-2016, 12:33 AM
There is nobody out there that would be a good Lakers coach at this point. That is a job for the highest profile coaches. Luke Walton is garbage people. Anyone could have set next to Warriors squad and held the clip board.

Dade County
04-25-2016, 12:38 AM
But the Lakers organization went into tank mode for 2 seasons, then they fire the coach.

Isn't that what they wanted was a losing record? They got what they wanted.

TrueFan420
04-25-2016, 12:45 AM
WOJ: Tom Thibodeau always believed he could lure free agents to the Los Angeles Lakers, that the proper structure and vision still makes that franchise the ultimate superstar destination. Thibodeau always had his eyes on the most glamorous job in basketball, but the Lakers hesitated and missed the chance to recruit him.

David Aldrige: Brooks was intrigued by Lakers gig, and Rockets wanted him, but Washington worked quickly 4 a deal before LA and/or Houston jobs opened.

Not true.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lakers-missed-their-chance-with-tom-thibodeau-211151370.html

I could see Brooks maybe using us as leverage to get more money, the Thibs one sounds legit.
Stand corrected

Lakers + Giants
04-25-2016, 12:52 AM
But the Lakers organization went into tank mode for 2 seasons, then they fire the coach.

Isn't that what they wanted was a losing record? They got what they wanted.

Yes, Scott did his job. He was able to lead the tank and wasn't as hated because he's a former laker. The firing leads me to believe that the lakers think they can become a playoff team next year, and that is actually their goal. Otherwise the scott firing makes no sense, they probably feel like they're ready to be competitive again, cuz none of last years acquisitions suggested that, from player signings to having scott as HC. It was basically tanking in disguise, and now I hope they're trying to field a competitive team.. This is all just my theory lmao.

jerellh528
04-25-2016, 01:14 AM
:clap:

kobe4thewinbang
04-25-2016, 01:25 AM
Expected it. Who should take over?Luke Walton. But yeah, hard to believe the last three coaches have been fired. I can't believe it took so long with D'Antoni. Part of the reason why Dwight left and he wore Kobe down to the bone, even though they were trying to make the playoffs. And he failed to utilize Gasol & Dwight in the P&R with Steve frickin' Nash, but again the injuries and let's just forget it.

Scott was terrible and only stuck around because he was a past Laker IMO. He clearly stalled the progression of D'Angelo Russell, who erupted when finally allowed to be the guy other than Kobe (39 points?!) and yeah, should not be part of the future with Randle, Clarkson and maybe some free agents.

There are lots of coaches that are available that can help this woeful, directionless team and frankly having a coach that knows WTF they're doing will help counteract Jim "I'm a genius!" Buss and his idiocy running the front office with a hands-tied Mitch Kuptchak.

numba1CHANGsta
04-25-2016, 02:27 AM
The Lakers are going to hire someone new, fresh, signing someone like JVG, M. Jackson, etc isn't a good idea since the team is young, they need someone who can relate to the youth more.

More-Than-Most
04-25-2016, 02:41 AM
Scott was/is a moron.... That being said he wasnt the majority of the issue... Yet again the end all be all is the coaches fault... They need to bring in someone with authority because this young team has a good bit of Egos that need to be held in check or it will be disaster... The way he dealt with the X and O and the in game planning was horrid but I disagree to a point that he handled the young players horribly... It looked that way in the beginning but some of his methods worked for the young guys as well.

That being said I am shocked they did not get thibs.

More-Than-Most
04-25-2016, 02:44 AM
Also wtf is up with the luke walton love? The dude has done nothing and we are talking about him like he is pops... The warriors are a stacked team and all luke had to do was let them play and follow what kerr did and they would have won 72 games... Put him on a young team like the lakers and within 2 years everyone will be calling for his head.

numba1CHANGsta
04-25-2016, 03:36 AM
Scott was/is a moron.... That being said he wasnt the majority of the issue... Yet again the end all be all is the coaches fault... They need to bring in someone with authority because this young team has a good bit of Egos that need to be held in check or it will be disaster... The way he dealt with the X and O and the in game planning was horrid but I disagree to a point that he handled the young players horribly... It looked that way in the beginning but some of his methods worked for the young guys as well.

That being said I am shocked they did not get thibs.

He wanted full control no way he was getting that in LA, he would have butted heads with the FO with what direction the team should take and what players to sign/acquire. Minny gave him everything he wanted so even if he had the chose to choose between LA or Minny he would have still chose Minny.

Aust
04-25-2016, 04:22 AM
Technically, the Lakers did not fire Byron. He didn't meet the performance incentives to make his contract guaranteed for next year, so they simply told him they weren't picking up his option haha. At least we did one thing right.

Iron24th
04-25-2016, 04:55 AM
Yes, Scott did his job. He was able to lead the tank and wasn't as hated because he's a former laker. The firing leads me to believe that the lakers think they can become a playoff team next year, and that is actually their goal. Otherwise the scott firing makes no sense, they probably feel like they're ready to be competitive again, cuz none of last years acquisitions suggested that, from player signings to having scott as HC. It was basically tanking in disguise, and now I hope they're trying to field a competitive team.. This is all just my theory lmao.

That is the only possible theory, but not sure if they'll meet their expectations.

Sportsguy9695
04-25-2016, 06:45 AM
I only see Luke Walton as the answer. I dont think they fire Scott unless they had a plan in place

Munkeysuit
04-25-2016, 08:21 AM
We gotta go with the guy that used to coach the Cavs at the beginning of the year.

JasonJohnHorn
04-25-2016, 08:41 AM
They need to focus on player development.... which is what they should have done this year instead of letting Kobe take as many shots as he wanted.

They aren't getting into the playoffs next year. That much is clear to me, unless they get somebody in the draft that comes out playing like a franchise player and they happen to sign an All-Star or two during the off season. I think it would be hard to achieve any of those things with their current roster/situation.

No established coach in their right mind is going to be interested in coaching for Mitch, who has proven how incapable he is of building a team. And this group of young players, though talented in some respects, need more time to develop, and if the coaching staff/management can't even guide young players to act maturely, I doubt any all-star/franchise players in their prime are going to be interested in playing there.

If they over pay him, they might be able to bring Dwight back.

I can't imagine them being able to lure anybody who is significantly better than Scott, in which case, this is just going to cost the Lakers extra money.

That said... they should target Monty Williams. He did a great job developing players in NO over several seasons, and given that he didn't win any playoff series, his market value isn't terribly high, and as long as the Lakers are patient enough to give him three seasons to develop this roster, they could do well with him as coach.

Slug3
04-25-2016, 09:08 AM

knowing the Lakers, I am sure they would not give Thibs any FO power liked he wanted.

ewing
04-25-2016, 09:25 AM
I hope the Knicks pick him up

IndyRealist
04-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Seems like this is just a clean break from the Kobe era. When a team features a one legged Bryant and Nick F'ing Young, can you really expect a coach to actually win games?

Conversely, this team doesn't seem like it has the pieces to make a playoff push next season. They only have 6 players under contract and one of them is Nick F'ing Young. So they're going to have 8 or 9 new guys who are going to be the bulk of the roster, a completely new coach and system, and an identity crisis. Is it Russell's team now? Are free agents wanting to play with Russell?

Everyone is going to have money this summer, and other teams are more playoff ready. I think the best the Lakers can hope for is to overpay a couple of 2nd tier guys and push for .500

lakerfan85
04-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Next step.. Fire Mitch then stone Jimmy wonder boy out of the front office..

Stinkyoutsider
04-25-2016, 10:13 AM
Thibbs isn't available anymore but if I wanted a veteran coach who has some built up respect in the league, my choice would be to invite Jeff Van Gundy in for an interview to see if he's the right fit for the club.

Other than that, I'm not sure who else? Looking at the roster, probably would benefit having a young coach to run a fast paced system like we see most of the league moving towards. Get the players up and down the court in transition and getting easy baskets.

That and sign a few sought after free agents this season...

ManningToTyree
04-25-2016, 10:23 AM
Luke Walton and Kevin Ollie make a lot of sense IMO. Young coaches that can grow with the team ala Brad Stevens in Boston. I think Stevens is a better coach then those two but same concept.

Scoots
04-25-2016, 11:02 AM

That was exactly my first thought. The Lakers front office once again a day late and a dollar short. If they were going to fire Scott then they should have done it on the last day of the season.

Scoots
04-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Lakers are too proud of an organization to give full power to 1 person (thibs). Brooks is meh.

The buck always stops with one person. It's Buss now and that's the issue ... HE doesn't want to give up power, not that they don't want the full power to be with 1 person.

Tony_Starks
04-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Its gotta be Luke. The NBA is going in the direction of young coaches who can relate to young players, like the Brad Stevens and Tyron Lues of the world. The Lakers young core of Russ, Randle, Clarkson, Nance could really be nice with the right guidance. Sacramentos George Karl hiring was a prime example of what goes wrong with just getting these old recycled coaches who can't relate to this generations players.

It's Luke first but they're also considering Kevin Ollie and Jay Wright reportedly.

I wouldn't be mad at any of those decisions, but for Petes sake PLEASE hire them before the draft!

The last time when we waited until after the draft and free agency period was over to hire a coach was stupidity at its finest! You have to have a coach in place to at least have some direction and vision to explain to a potential FA.

Scoots
04-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Also wtf is up with the luke walton love? The dude has done nothing and we are talking about him like he is pops... The warriors are a stacked team and all luke had to do was let them play and follow what kerr did and they would have won 72 games... Put him on a young team like the lakers and within 2 years everyone will be calling for his head.

I think he will be a good coach, but anybody thinking hiring him makes the Lakers instantly win 50 games is nuts :)

Walton got Curry playing faster and shooting more 3s than Kerr was comfortable with. Walton got Draymond more involved in the flow of the offense. The Warriors actually played better under Walton than they did when Kerr came back. That said Walton was just building off of a title winning team and his coaching fit them perfectly. He deserves credit as the top assistant on a 73 win team, but he's not Thibs.

Scoots
04-25-2016, 11:28 AM
He wanted full control no way he was getting that in LA, he would have butted heads with the FO with what direction the team should take and what players to sign/acquire. Minny gave him everything he wanted so even if he had the chose to choose between LA or Minny he would have still chose Minny.

Supposedly Thibs would have been willing to just coach the Lakers.

JasonJohnHorn
04-25-2016, 11:35 AM
The buck always stops with one person. It's Buss now and that's the issue ... HE doesn't want to give up power, not that they don't want the full power to be with 1 person.

If Bus isn't going to step aside, the only logical firing in my mind is Mitch. He's done an atrocious job with this roster.

People give him credit for getting Gasol, but it was a lottery win for him; Memphis was having a fire sale and he happened to have the right expiring contracts. What people fail to note, is that he gave up Marc Gasol to get Pau Gasol, and had he managed to keep him, the Lakers likely would have had another 3-peat (maybe four) and would have had enough pieces to get CP3 without losing Gasol, Gasol, or Kobe.

The only good picks he made were Marc Gasol and Pat Beverly, neither of whom he had the foresight to keep. Mitch was handed the keys to a dynasty, and he couldn't keep it together. The only reason he was able to get to the finals in 2004 was because ring chasers like Malone and Payton signed at a discount, and the rings with Gasol were the result of West gifting Gasol to LA during a fire sale. A good GM would have been able to hold onto Marc Gasol (nobody's going to give up on a deal because the 48th overall pick wasn't included-and a first-round pick could have been swapped out). I mean, this guy gave up 3 first round picks for a 39-year-old point guard with a bad back.

Mitch is awful. Bus is awful. As long as those two are handing things, nothing is going to get done properly barring a miracle in the draft.

Tony_Starks
04-25-2016, 12:10 PM
If Bus isn't going to step aside, the only logical firing in my mind is Mitch. He's done an atrocious job with this roster.

People give him credit for getting Gasol, but it was a lottery win for him; Memphis was having a fire sale and he happened to have the right expiring contracts. What people fail to note, is that he gave up Marc Gasol to get Pau Gasol, and had he managed to keep him, the Lakers likely would have had another 3-peat (maybe four) and would have had enough pieces to get CP3 without losing Gasol, Gasol, or Kobe.

The only good picks he made were Marc Gasol and Pat Beverly, neither of whom he had the foresight to keep. Mitch was handed the keys to a dynasty, and he couldn't keep it together. The only reason he was able to get to the finals in 2004 was because ring chasers like Malone and Payton signed at a discount, and the rings with Gasol were the result of West gifting Gasol to LA during a fire sale. A good GM would have been able to hold onto Marc Gasol (nobody's going to give up on a deal because the 48th overall pick wasn't included-and a first-round pick could have been swapped out). I mean, this guy gave up 3 first round picks for a 39-year-old point guard with a bad back.

Mitch is awful. Bus is awful. As long as those two are handing things, nothing is going to get done properly barring a miracle in the draft.

To his credit Mitch also got us Chris Paul and was about to pair him and Kobe with Dwight Howard. Had the owners not thrown a tantrum and Stern capitulated to them and rescinded the trade we would've had a few more titles and the fate of the franchise would've been changed drastically.

But that's neither here nor there since this is Jimmy last year and when he rolls out Mitch is going with him. Then finally get Jerry West and Magic back in the mix.

FlashBolt
04-25-2016, 12:13 PM
To his credit Mitch also got us Chris Paul and was about to pair him and Kobe with Dwight Howard. Had the owners not thrown a tantrum and Stern capitulated to them and rescinded the trade we would've had a few more titles and the fate of the franchise would've been changed drastically.

But that's neither here nor there since this is Jimmy last year and when he rolls out Mitch is going with him. Then finally get Jerry West and Magic back in the mix.

Bosh+Bron+Wade>Kobe+CP3+Dwight

smith&wesson
04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
I would look for a coach who is good at developing young players because at this point what else do you do with that roster?

Tony_Starks
04-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Bosh+Bron+Wade>Kobe+CP3+Dwight

Nah. CP3 is the only person in that group that is as mentally tough as Kobe.

I'd gladly take that Super team vs Miami's....

FlashBolt
04-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Nah. CP3 is the only person in that group that is as mentally tough as Kobe.

I'd gladly take that Super team vs Miami's....

And you have Dwight who is useless. Wade and Kobe are probably a wash. CP3 would make a difference but I think people forget just how good the Heat were when LeBron was at his ultimate peak. Plus, OKC would be difficult to get past along with Spurs. So it's not like the Lakers would even crack the Finals.

jerellh528
04-25-2016, 02:34 PM
Its gotta be Luke. The NBA is going in the direction of young coaches who can relate to young players, like the Brad Stevens and Tyron Lues of the world. The Lakers young core of Russ, Randle, Clarkson, Nance could really be nice with the right guidance. Sacramentos George Karl hiring was a prime example of what goes wrong with just getting these old recycled coaches who can't relate to this generations players.

It's Luke first but they're also considering Kevin Ollie and Jay Wright reportedly.

I wouldn't be mad at any of those decisions, but for Petes sake PLEASE hire them before the draft!

The last time when we waited until after the draft and free agency period was over to hire a coach was stupidity at its finest! You have to have a coach in place to at least have some direction and vision to explain to a potential FA.

I would welcome luke. Plenty of bonafide basketball minds have vouched for his understanding of the game, he's a young coach who the players like and he's been on championship teams as both a player and a coach, so he knows what it takes to get to that level. Also seems to embrace analytics and contemporary basketball. I've heard he needs work on rotations and probably a little bit of the Xs and Os, but with the lakers young roster, they can grow together. Obviously there would be a learning curve, but I think it would be a step in the right direction. He seems to fit the bill of successful coaches nowadays.. Messina is also intriguing. Don't really want Ollie.

FlashBolt
04-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Lakers need to figure out what they're doing with free agency and trades before they find a coach. You either need a rebuilding coach or try to get a marquee free agent and get a reputable coach. Don't need Luke, tbh. Don't overrate someone who is coaching the Warriors. I refuse to believe Luke is responsible for that record because quite frankly, I think any decent coach would have been capable of taking that team to that record (or close to it).

Tony_Starks
04-25-2016, 02:42 PM
I would welcome luke. Plenty of bonafide basketball minds have vouched for his understanding of the game, he's a young coach who the players like and he's been on championship teams as both a player and a coach, so he knows what it takes to get to that level. Also seems to embrace analytics and contemporary basketball. I've heard he needs work on rotations and probably a little bit of the Xs and Os, but with the lakers young roster, they can grow together. Obviously there would be a learning curve, but I think it would be a step in the right direction. He seems to fit the bill of successful coaches nowadays.. Messina is also intriguing. Don't really want Ollie.

I can't deal with Messina. He's guilty by association for that stint when he was assistant coach with us a few years back.

Jay Wright is intriguing.

All things considered the stars are really aligned for Luke tho.

KnicksorBust
04-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Jvg

Tony_Starks
04-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Lakers need to figure out what they're doing with free agency and trades before they find a coach. You either need a rebuilding coach or try to get a marquee free agent and get a reputable coach. Don't need Luke, tbh. Don't overrate someone who is coaching the Warriors. I refuse to believe Luke is responsible for that record because quite frankly, I think any decent coach would have been capable of taking that team to that record (or close to it).

It's actually the other way around, you need a coach first.

That was reportedly one of the big issues among free agents the first time they struck out.

They were basically looking at management like how can you sell me a dream when you don't even have a coach in place?

Looks dysfunctional and bass ackwards ( which is what management has shown to be)

KINGOFSPORTS
04-25-2016, 02:57 PM
#1 Mark Jackson

#2 Walton

lakerfan85
04-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Hell no to Mark Jackson!!

FlashBolt
04-25-2016, 03:42 PM
It's actually the other way around, you need a coach first.

That was reportedly one of the big issues among free agents the first time they struck out.

They were basically looking at management like how can you sell me a dream when you don't even have a coach in place?

Looks dysfunctional and bass ackwards ( which is what management has shown to be)

Just look at what happened with the Cavs. They got LeBron and all of a sudden, they're stuck with Blatt. They need to figure out whether they want to rebuild or go for free agency. Is D'Russell even going to be with the team?

IndyRealist
04-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Just look at what happened with the Cavs. They got LeBron and all of a sudden, they're stuck with Blatt. They need to figure out whether they want to rebuild or go for free agency. Is D'Russell even going to be with the team?

I don't think you can cite Lebron going back to his home state who he crushed when he left the first time as a typical example of what happens in free agency.

JasonJohnHorn
04-25-2016, 04:05 PM
George Karl hiring was a prime example of what goes wrong with just getting these old recycled coaches who can't relate to this generations players.

This had nothing to 'not relating to young the generation' and everything to do with the fact that DMC is an idiot, and will be a cancer on any team, and the Karl knows the NBA game is moving out to the perimeter, and giving a guy who shoots under 46% inside the arc on his career more shots than anybody else on the team is not going to help you beat a team who shoots 44% from beyond the arc.

Karl knew this team was designed to fail and wanted to make a move to get DMC out while his stock was high and bring in players who can actually help the team win.

How many coaches are going to not win in Sac-town with DMC and get blamed before somebody finally realizes that it is the PLAYERS and the front office who are to blame.

Tony_Starks
04-25-2016, 04:09 PM

Russ is definitely going to be there. When Scott took the handcuffs off he had breakout games of almost 40 points without even having a offense, basically every game being a Kobe allstar game. He can play. That incident is old news, both the guys and the fans are over it.

If anything Scotts lack of developing him and Randle is probably the main reason he's out.

Scoots
04-25-2016, 04:27 PM
I don't like JVG or Mark Jackson for that young roster. Whoever it is the real key is who is hired to the bench to support the new HC.

KINGOFSPORTS
04-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Hell no to Mark Jackson!!

What's wrong with Mark Jackson?

Scoots
04-26-2016, 01:13 AM
What's wrong with Mark Jackson?

Oh LOTS of things. Do you really want me to list them?

KINGOFSPORTS
04-26-2016, 01:20 AM
Oh LOTS of things. Do you really want me to list them?

Sure. To me he was great for the Warriors. He molded them into what they became IMO

Steph, Klay, and Draymond loved him

jsthornton7
04-26-2016, 01:50 AM
I don't like JVG or Mark Jackson for that young roster. Whoever it is the real key is who is hired to the bench to support the new HC.

Yep, completely agree. Does Luke Walton have the relationships and savvy to build a bench of coaches to support him? This is the number 1 question/reservation I would have about him becoming our HC.

Scoots
04-26-2016, 02:00 AM
Sure. To me he was great for the Warriors. He molded them into what they became IMO

Steph, Klay, and Draymond loved him

Steph loved him, Klay and Draymond respected him. Then after he left he said disparaging things about them he could have avoided ... several times.

To me, he was a good coach to turn the team around and I'll always credit him for that culture change, but ...

He got after assistant coaches for talking to the media even when they didn't say anything bad. He wanted all the spotlight he could get.

He wasn't interested in game plans leaving that to his assistants.

In his last year he was given an unlimited budget for assistant coaches and he didn't bring in any coaches he couldn't push around.

He alienated some members of the team with religion, and in the case of one player told the team that he was cheering for them losing while that player was injured.

He banned Jerry West and Jim Barnett from practice.

He refused to listen to an assistant coach (who had been assigned to take lead for an opponent) when he had a suggestion for how to approach the game. After the game when that coach wanted to see a replay of a particular play Jackson refused to allow the play to be shown, then after the meeting broke up went to the other coaches to convince them to support him in getting rid of that coach.

Jackson regularly left town to go back to LA and his church. The team was not his top priority.

Jackson ran an iso heavy offense and tended to rely on hero ball.

Jackson put players in positions where they were not playing to their strengths and blamed the players when they failed.

Jackson, a man who regularly talked up his faith, admitted to adultery in an extended relationship with a woman who tried to blackmail him.

Jackson didn't seem to have any idea how to use his bench.

Jackson didn't really develop his players beyond cheering them on when they succeeded.

Jackson didn't believe the Warriors were much more than a 50 win team in his last year ... Kerr won 67 and a title the next year ... so I guess he's not a very good talent evaluator.

Jackson was not a grinder.

In the 2 years since he's been fired he has not been interviewed for a single job, but he and his TV buddies mention his name for every gig that comes up. Jackson once (when he was back on the TV side) went to talk to an owner who was likely to replace his coach and implied it was an interview. That owner later vehemently denied that it was an interview and said Jackson had asked to talk to him, not the other way around.

Bob Ryan, a long time very respected journalist called Jackson a liar, a phony, and a bad coach.

Rick Bucher another long time and respected journalist said Jackson's Warriors had the most dysfunctional relationship between the coaches themselves and the head coach and the front office/ownership he'd ever seen.

I know there are others ... but that's enough I think.

Scoots
04-26-2016, 02:02 AM
Yep, completely agree. Does Luke Walton have the relationships and savvy to build a bench of coaches to support him? This is the number 1 question/reservation I would have about him becoming our HC.

I think he's got the savvy, and he's been around the NBA for a long time so I assume he's got some bench ideas.

I don't know that Luke is looking to move just yet though ... particularly if Kerr's back becomes chronic.

Aust
04-26-2016, 02:35 AM
Nancy Lieberman.. would be pretty cool having the first female HC and that good PR would allow the NBA to award us the #1 pick :)

ewing
04-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Doesn't matter. Just promote Madsen