PDA

View Full Version : What makes a player "dirty"?

nastynice
04-22-2016, 06:00 AM
I been hearing some talk about Green and Bogut being dirty on these boards and I'm legitimately confused by it. To me, the definition of a dirty player has always been someone who intentionally puts other players at a high risk of getting injured. Golden example of that being Bowen (sry spur fans, lol) and his undercut move. I watch lots of warriors games and I've never seen these guys do things to try and put other players at risk for injury. What do you guys consider dirty?

The only explanations I've heard are that because they get away with fouls, that makes them dirty. That don't even make sense to me, everyone's gonna try n get away with whatever they can, I don't see how that's dirty

ewing
04-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Hoes

D-Leethal
04-22-2016, 09:16 AM
STDs

kdspurman
04-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Bringing wrestling onto the court lol

http://i.giphy.com/VEksbVFlr2A6Y.gif

https://streamable.com/ch7e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR2Ehl4in74

The moving screens aren't dirty, but these kinda plays really don't belong on an NBA court

CHANGO
04-22-2016, 12:15 PM
Bogut is plain and simple a dirty player. Don't try to deny that.

And after what Green did yesterday and also against the C's I'm starting to think he is a dirty player too.

Edit: Add to that the clip ^ of him elbowing Blake on the throat... Yeah, no doubt about it, he's DIRTAYYYY.

Scoots
04-22-2016, 12:33 PM
If those plays are all it takes to be dirty then there are a LOOOOOOOOOOT of dirty NBA players. CP3 right near the top of the list, and any player that swings a bow.

I think it has to be a regular practice of putting opposing players at risk of injury, not just playing hard and physical.

FlashBolt
04-22-2016, 12:39 PM

The moving screens aren't dirty, but these kinda plays really don't belong on an NBA court

Don't forget about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z4g4eLvtu4

It's ridiculous. This GSW team is touted as the greatest team ever. Fine, I'll give them that. They can certainly win without all these dirty tricks. The thing is, they will keep doing it because the chances they actually get called for it is very slim. So hey, why not? Let's just keep jumping, throwing, tossing, pulling, and wrestling everything away we can. Just from the YouTube video I posted above, Draymond does have his hand on the ball but when he no longer does, he shoves Amir to the ground. No worries, Amir still has the ball with BOTH arms and Marcus Smart/Turner are both calling T/O's in front of the ref. Refs don't stop the game.. instead, Draymond jumps on top of Amir and because of the contact, the ball gets loose and Draymond calls a T/O. Of course.. the ref finally stops the game.

I'm not saying the refs are rigging the game here but they need to be more aware of what's going on in the court when Green/Bogut are playing. Are they getting the most attention because of the team they play for? Sure. But that doesn't make it okay that a team that is playing lights out has to get screwed over because of blatant malicious plays.

FlashBolt
04-22-2016, 12:41 PM
If those plays are all it takes to be dirty then there are a LOOOOOOOOOOT of dirty NBA players. CP3 right near the top of the list, and any player that swings a bow.

I think it has to be a regular practice of putting opposing players at risk of injury, not just playing hard and physical.

"If?" Those ARE dirty plays. Grabbing someone's arm and pulling it in the opposite direction from where the limb is, is a dirty play. Falling down and then tackling someone so you can "set a pick" is a DIRTY play. Wrapping your arms around a player and then tossing them to the ground is a DIRTY play. Stop trying to justify these dirty plays by bringing up other dirty plays. That's not how it works.

Scoots
04-22-2016, 12:51 PM
"If?" Those ARE dirty plays. Grabbing someone's arm and pulling it in the opposite direction from where the limb is, is a dirty play. Falling down and then tackling someone so you can "set a pick" is a DIRTY play. Wrapping your arms around a player and then tossing them to the ground is a DIRTY play. Stop trying to justify these dirty plays by bringing up other dirty plays. That's not how it works.

I didn't say "if those are dirty plays" ... I didn't debate whether the plays themselves were dirty or not, also Bogut's play was not one of the plays I was commenting on. You didn't read what I wrote.

FlashBolt
04-22-2016, 12:55 PM
I didn't say "if those are dirty plays" ... I didn't debate whether the plays themselves were dirty or not, also Bogut's play was not one of the plays I was commenting on. You didn't read what I wrote.

"If those plays are all it takes to be dirty"

Basically implies that you don't think it was that dirty. Sorry, it was dirty. Which part isn't dirty? Because someone else does it means it's okay? Let's take Bogut's arm grab out. Green elbowing Griffin to free himself isn't dirty? Green hugging Beasley and not letting him get open for a pass and then tossing him to the ground is not dirty? What does dirty mean to you? Should we see a Malice in Palace part 2 to convince you?

ewing
04-22-2016, 01:07 PM
apparently playing for GS is the answer

Scoots
04-22-2016, 01:27 PM
"If those plays are all it takes to be dirty"

Basically implies that you don't think it was that dirty. Sorry, it was dirty. Which part isn't dirty? Because someone else does it means it's okay? Let's take Bogut's arm grab out. Green elbowing Griffin to free himself isn't dirty? Green hugging Beasley and not letting him get open for a pass and then tossing him to the ground is not dirty? What does dirty mean to you? Should we see a Malice in Palace part 2 to convince you?

No. Again, I wasn't debating the dirtiness of those plays at all you are reading into my words your own message. I'm saying it takes more than 3 plays in 4 years to be classed as a dirty player.

I don't think the Cs play was dirty.

From what you are saying I assume you are saying that a single dirty play makes a player dirty forever?

If so then Westbrook is dirty for elbowing Al Harrington in the face, for shoving Nene, and on and on when he has overly physical contact. Kevin Durant is dirty for throwing down Donte Green. LeBron is dirty for a whole lot of elbows and shoves and under cutting players. CP3 for the nut shots alone. Blake Griffin for his hammering of Taj Gibson. and on and on and on.

Since this thread is about what it takes to be a "dirty player" I don't think a few plays is enough ... even 5 a year isn't enough. I don't know where that line is, but for you it appears to be 1 dirty play which means pretty much every player in the NBA is dirty.

FlashBolt
04-22-2016, 01:37 PM
A few plays? It doesn't even have to take a few plays.. What he did was dirty. Plain and simple.

Slug3
04-22-2016, 02:09 PM
apparently playing for GS is the answer

I just thinking playing for a top notch team then people want or need to find a reason to not like them. So "X Player" is dirty from that team. Remember how much we heard about Wade being dirty with Miami? He has done some pretty dirty things and probably was or close to a dirty player at one point, but I don't really here anyone talking about him being dirty anymore. I think its just that team in the big spotlight and there needs to be a reason to not like them so you find one.

Scoots
04-22-2016, 02:39 PM
A few plays? It doesn't even have to take a few plays.. What he did was dirty. Plain and simple.

Okay, so since you like to toss around "prove it" posts. Find me a big minute player who has NEVER elbowed someone, never stepped under them, never thrown someone, never kneed someone, never grabbed someone's arm. If you can't then by your definition every NBA starter is a dirty player.

nastynice
04-22-2016, 03:21 PM

Hold on, so let me see if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying if a player throws an elbow, he is dirty? And if a player, who btw himself is getting off the floor after a collision, screens without being set, he is dirty? This is what I was saying in the op, these are the only actual answers I get from people that say they're dirty, it's legit confusing. So if I show you a clip of a 100 players throwing elbows and setting screens while not set, ur beloved Timmy d included, u will tell me those are all dirty players?

I'm honestly thinking it's just straight up haterade. I don't know, cuz all my teams have always sucked, lol, so I don't know what jealousy is like, but this is the THIRD time someone brought up the green Beasley thing and said green is dirty. How do u not understand that he was trying to intentionally foul him? Seriously, how do u guys not get this? There's one sec left in a one point game, a foul for two free throws can potentially make it a 3 pt game w one sec left. I KNOW that if I showed u a compilation of players intentionally fouling you wouldn't say they're dirty, that's why this makes me know the hate def has something to do with it. Using that as an example, the hate is no doubt A factor, maybe not the only one, but certainly a strong one

nastynice
04-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Bogut is plain and simple a dirty player. Don't try to deny that.

And after what Green did yesterday and also against the C's I'm starting to think he is a dirty player too.

Edit: Add to that the clip ^ of him elbowing Blake on the throat... Yeah, no doubt about it, he's DIRTAYYYY.

Believe me, if he was I would have absolutely ZERO problem saying that he is. He ****s with soft players like Griffin and Dwight, he'll give them lil extra shoves here n there just to get in their head, I mean I got no problem admitting and pointing out shady tactics on my squad. But I'm just not seeing the dirtiness, people say they're dirty and then proceed to back it up with clips of regular *** fouls, lol! Like wtf, of those clips are evidence of a player being dirty, then ur boy d wade is dirty as ****, and I can show u clips of him fouling away from the ball, throwing an elbow, setting a screen while not being set, etc.

Scoots
04-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Hold on, so let me see if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying if a player throws an elbow, he is dirty? And if a player, who btw himself is getting off the floor after a collision, screens without being set, he is dirty? This is what I was saying in the op, these are the only actual answers I get from people that say they're dirty, it's legit confusing. So if I show you a clip of a 100 players throwing elbows and setting screens while not set, ur beloved Timmy d included, u will tell me those are all dirty players?

I'm honestly thinking it's just straight up haterade. I don't know, cuz all my teams have always sucked, lol, so I don't know what jealousy is like, but this is the THIRD time someone brought up the green Beasley thing and said green is dirty. How do u not understand that he was trying to intentionally foul him? Seriously, how do u guys not get this? There's one sec left in a one point game, a foul for two free throws can potentially make it a 3 pt game w one sec left. I KNOW that if I showed u a compilation of players intentionally fouling you wouldn't say they're dirty, that's why this makes me know the hate def has something to do with it. Using that as an example, the hate is no doubt A factor, maybe not the only one, but certainly a strong one

I tried to respond to your original question and just got stuff made up in response.

I think it takes a near continuous disregard for the health of the other players on the court to be really dirty.

Bill Laimbeer was dirty. I loved him because he was a great goon. But he was DIIIIIIRTY. He clapped after injuring a player in a game I saw. He stepped on jumping players feet. He shoved players at the stanchion.

Laimbeer taught his good ways to his teammates and they then became dirty too. But once Rodman got away from Laimbeer he mellowed considerably. He was still in peoples face and taking every advantage he could, but the rate he genuinely put players at risk of injury dropped a lot.

So, if it only takes one "dirty" play (shoving an off-balance player, stepping under a player in the air, shoving a player in the air, an elbow above the shoulders, an arm grab and pull, a throw down, a nut shot, a punch, a slap, stepping on a foot, intentionally getting tangled up, intentionally falling on someone, pulling someone who is off balance, tripping, etc.) to make a player a dirty player then I think every starter in NBA history is a dirty player.

8kobe24
04-22-2016, 04:23 PM
80's and part of the 90's basketball was dirty. There is nothing dirty about today's game/players... Those are just physical plays.

TrueFan420
04-22-2016, 04:50 PM
80's and part of the 90's basketball was dirty. There is nothing dirty about today's game/players... Those are just physical plays.

Hahahaha some of the clips would be labeled as soft touch fouls back then.

DboneG
04-22-2016, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't say Green and Bogut are dirty players. They are right there on the line of being a dirty player...hard nose for sure.

Dirty plays:
1. Not giving a guy room to land when shooting a jumper...Bruce Bowen did this a lot!
2. Bridging/clipping a guy when he's in the air. Bill Lambeer was good at this.
3. Fall down, then, causally stick your leg out.
4. Elbows, push in the back, holding. The Refs are on top of this kind of stuff now.
5. Forceful foul...again the Refs are on this one.
6. Aggressive style of going for the ball. Dellie of the Cavs is guilty of this. You better not go for a loose ball with Dellie close by. You will pay for it.

Scoots
04-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Well, the NBA has ruled that Harden fouled before his shot to win the game and didn't get called. He's DIRTY!

numba1CHANGsta
04-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Prob someone who didn't shower before the game

Monta is beast
04-23-2016, 06:41 AM
So when lebron pumped faked drummond into the air then as he was coming down lebron through an elbow into his jaw that wasnt dirty? Cause if that was anyone on gs all hell would have broken loose

Monta is beast
04-23-2016, 06:43 AM
When draymond picked up beasley je was trying to get a foul call. He picked him up and gently set him down yall are soft af. Complain about the game being to soft then all this bs directed towards my team. Yall just mad cause you know you cant hang with us.

ewing
04-23-2016, 08:05 AM

that the quote of the thread :nod:

kdspurman
04-23-2016, 12:32 PM

Idk if I've every seen Timmy throw an elbow, so if you find a clip more power to you haha. I didn't say a moving screen was dirty, so not sure where you got that from.

And trust me, I'm faaaaar from jealous dude lol. It'll take about 15 more years of what you guys are doing and my guys being crap for me to be jealous.

U can intentionally foul someone without throwing them down. He was probably frustrated after the game he had. How about Celtics game? Ok in your eyes?

Scoots
04-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Idk if I've every seen Timmy throw an elbow, so if you find a clip more power to you haha. I didn't say a moving screen was dirty, so not sure where you got that from.

And trust me, I'm faaaaar from jealous dude lol. It'll take about 15 more years of what you guys are doing and my guys being crap for me to be jealous.

U can intentionally foul someone without throwing them down. He was probably frustrated after the game he had. How about Celtics game? Ok in your eyes?

I think the Beasley thing is worse than the Cs game thing. In the Cs game he was tripped-ish then stood up as someone ran into him-ish.

Scoots
04-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Flashbolt must not want KD around anymore ... he's done this multiple times now so he's CLEARLY a dirty player and a bad person.

nastynice
04-24-2016, 02:04 AM

Didn't u show me a clip of green colliding and falling, then trying to set a screen as he's getting back up? I thought u were saying setting a screen like that is dirty, I dunno maybe I'm missing something here..

What about the Celtics game? I don't know what ur referring to

*and btw, YOU yourself provided the Beasley clip. Look at it, he's wrapping Beasley up, once his feet lift from the ground does green look like he's trying to just dump him on the ground or does he look like he's actually kinda trying to keep him up? Looks like the latter to me, maybe a longer clip can give a better idea

Scoots
04-24-2016, 02:13 AM
Didn't u show me a clip of green colliding and falling, then trying to set a screen as he's getting back up? I thought u were saying setting a screen like that is dirty, I dunno maybe I'm missing something here..

What about the Celtics game? I don't know what ur referring to

The play in your first paragraph IS the Celtics game.

Munkeysuit
04-24-2016, 03:59 AM
What makes a player dirty? when they ignore the amounts of money they get paid to utilize their talents to impact the game and instead use a tactic or strategy that is against the rules and regulations to cheat their way to victory.

nastynice
04-24-2016, 04:31 AM
What makes a player dirty? when they ignore the amounts of money they get paid to utilize their talents to impact the game and instead use a tactic or strategy that is against the rules and regulations to cheat their way to victory.

I'm sure u don't mean this, but it sounds like ur saying any player that has committed a foul is dirty?

Scoots
04-24-2016, 11:41 AM

What does the money have to do with it?

Every player knowingly breaks the rules ... so we are back to a version of FlashBolt's definition that says every player is dirty.

Scoots
04-24-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm sure u don't mean this, but it sounds like ur saying any player that has committed a foul is dirty?

FlashBolt's definition of "dirty" is if a player ever commits a single foul where the opponent could be injured then they are a dirty player. Or essentially everybody.