PDA

View Full Version : Melo sympathizers, why do you give him a pass?

blahblahyoutoo
04-21-2016, 09:30 PM
don't you realize he's the reason that you're in your current ****** state?
first he forces his way into NY by way of trade (because money), instead of going in the off season while allowing the knicks to keep assets.
then he strong arms his way into his current contract, with a no trade clause (also because money). oh wait, I forgot he gave NYK a "hometown discount" (even though his formative years were spent in baltimore).

Landry seems to get it... of course he has an ivy league education so it shows he has some brains....

Landry Fields offers some interesting thoughts on what may have been in New York if Carmelo Anthony signed with the Knicks as a free agent rather than arriving via trade in February 2011. "It would have been a major, major play for New York if we had kind of the young talent of (Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler) and Ray Felton and Amar'e (Stoudemire) and Carmelo. It would have been a team that just would have been so impactful throughout the league and one that probably could have created a dynasty," Fields told Anthony Donahue and Moke Hamilton, hosts of SNY's "The Knicks Blog Podcast. "But I don't want to speak too much to that because you don't want to get (into) all of this, ‘Rah rah, what could have been' because that's not what happened. There were possibilities there for such an incredible team to be assembled but at the same time, we can't harp on what never happened."

Chronz
04-21-2016, 09:39 PM
They should have amnestied Amare, but Im guessing this was the period where there was still hope that Amare would both recover and learn to play as a natural 4 alongside Melo. I honestly dont remember but wasn't there a way to clear massive cap space with the amnesty+stretch and a team option on Billups or something.

NYKnickFanatic
04-21-2016, 11:10 PM
They should have amnestied Amare, but Im guessing this was the period where there was still hope that Amare would both recover and learn to play as a natural 4 alongside Melo. I honestly dont remember but wasn't there a way to clear massive cap space with the amnesty+stretch and a team option on Billups or something.

IIRC, Billups was a free agent with a team option. We could have used the amnesty on Amare and let Billups walk.

BUT, being the Knicks, we picked up Billups option just to use the amnesty on him later on in the season.

OP, I don't think anyone gives Melo a pass...

EDIT: Billups option was for $14Mil. Ouch.

blahblahyoutoo
04-21-2016, 11:36 PM
i see it mentioned all the time in the knicks forum.

"melo deserves better. should trade him to a contender"
"melo is the only one trying"
"melo is the only quality player" (of course since he forced all the other assets away in his trade, and his big contract prevented other players from signing)

IIRC, Billups was a free agent with a team option. We could have used the amnesty on Amare and let Billups walk.

BUT, being the Knicks, we picked up Billups option just to use the amnesty on him later on in the season.

xxplayerxx23
04-22-2016, 01:23 AM
In fairness to Melo Wilson Chandler is injuried all the time and average, Galo is good but always injuried so it's not like they missed anything there. They sure could use this years pick but not his fault they traded the 2016 pick for Bargs lol Melo has played well as a knick hasn't really had the talent around him. Yeah Knicks would of more than likely had Chris Paul had they waited and not given Tyson the max. Tyson ended up killing the Knicks in that pacer series too lol/ oh well can't do anything about it now

HouRealCoach
04-22-2016, 02:28 AM

This makes a lot of sense! Amare was 28 years old and coming off of a 25 ppg year where he was also a top 5 MVP candidate at one point. It would have been very dumb to amnesty him then.

MonroeFAN
04-22-2016, 07:42 AM
I realize it's the Knicks, and New York, so a big deal is going to be made about them. But that roster isn't worth talking about.

KnicksorBust
04-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Felton - Kidd- Shumpert - Melo - Chandler with JR Smith as super 6th man and Novak as the bench sniper 7th man won 54 games. Melo got to exploit mismatches at PF all season long and led the league with 28.7ppg. There is your blueprint.

What did we do next season? Get rid of a team leader (Kidd), get rid of our best shooter (Novak), Tyson gets injured, and STAT's game and Melo's game clash on the court. Now we've pushed him back to SF and keep changing the lineup. I blame the Knicks for not realizing how to build around Melo and I blame Melo for not being a team leader and slowly just becoming a worse and worse basketball player. He really lost me when he cared more about chucking up shots in the All-Star game than doing what was best for the team. Now I want him gone and I am worried that no trade clause will keep him here. Would much trade Lopez and play small-ball with Porzingis at the 5 and surround him with a bunch of ego-less shooters. Afflalo thinks he's Kobe and stinks. Calderon took 60 games to finally play with any confidence. We have a coaching staff that thinks Sasha Vuj should be starting. It was a mess top down. Phil, Fisher, Melo all were terrible this season. And don't point some fake Melo high assist games at me. He still was a ball hog on offense and a bum on defense.

D-Leethal
04-22-2016, 08:53 AM
What happened was Donnie Walsh picked up Billups' team option as a way of making him feel comfortable after the trade and to let him know we had his back, wanted him here and he wasn't just a "throw in" to get Melo. Billups' was pretty upset after the trade because Colorado was his home and he openly stated he wanted to retire there. That was April 2011 after we lost in the playoffs. 2 months later June 2011 Donnie bounced, Grunwald used the amnesty on Billups to get the cap space to sign Tyson Chandler. Literally in the span of 2 months we had picked up a 14M option and than used the one-time amnesty to negate it.

Those few months were a huge cluster**** of miscommunication, regime change and set us back years. If we had saved that amnesty for Amare we would have been able to build a contender during that 54 win season where Amare barely played.

ewing
04-22-2016, 08:57 AM
sympathizers? What is he Hitler or something?

valade16
04-22-2016, 09:28 AM
first he forces his way into NY by way of trade (because money), instead of going in the off season while allowing the knicks to keep assets.
then he strong arms his way into his current contract, with a no trade clause (also because money). oh wait, I forgot he gave NYK a "hometown discount" (even though his formative years were spent in baltimore).

Landry seems to get it... of course he has an ivy league education so it shows he has some brains....

Landry doesn't get anything. Felton was moments away from being discovered for the not very good player he was, Danillo was starting to shows signs of his impeding injury plague-ness that has forced him to miss time in every season, and Amar'e was going to break down anyway.

They would have had Melo and Chandler trying to keep the team afloat as they constantly waiting for Gallinari and Amare to finally be healthy at the same time.

Dynasty? Hardly.

Kinkotheclown
04-22-2016, 09:44 AM
sympathizers? What is he Hitler or something?

:laugh:

Kinkotheclown
04-22-2016, 09:47 AM
What happened was Donnie Walsh picked up Billups' team option as a way of making him feel comfortable after the trade and to let him know we had his back, wanted him here and he wasn't just a "throw in" to get Melo. Billups' was pretty upset after the trade because Colorado was his home and he openly stated he wanted to retire there. That was April 2011 after we lost in the playoffs. 2 months later June 2011 Donnie bounced, Grunwald used the amnesty on Billups to get the cap space to sign Tyson Chandler. Literally in the span of 2 months we had picked up a 14M option and than used the one-time amnesty to negate it.

Those few months were a huge cluster**** of miscommunication, regime change and set us back years. If we had saved that amnesty for Amare we would have been able to build a contender during that 54 win season where Amare barely played.

This just proves that Phil is to blame and he sucks.

thapastime7
04-22-2016, 09:52 AM

1.He is not the reason. IF knicks wanted to rebuild and go young they should have not resigned. You dont walk away from the kind of money and assurance.

2. He didnt force his way here he said i want to be in NY he is just a player.The team make the move. NY made that move he is just a player and knicks know its either them or brooklyn dont forget they didnt want to give that limelight to brooklyn it was a business decision. They was also a possible strike happening on his free agent which mean no money coming in its a business move. Cant knock him for that this his lively hood. His NO trade was a brilliant move because this is could be his last deal and he wants to win. Contenders would never give the knicks amount of players to get melo but teams like sixers, kings and other bad teams would. That means that knicks would only move him to non contenders. He'll gets paid but is forced to play with small market or bad team. Now he can stay where he wants which is NY or get sent to only approved contenders. Its brilliant. As for hometown discount what he brings to the game offensively and defensively when the effort is there 23 million for a number 2 star is what the market will dictate. guys like Lebron Curry and any player will command 30 plus.

ewing
04-22-2016, 10:28 AM

Player most often do what is best for themselves in contract situations. If the knicks wanted to keep there assets they should have waited Melo out and signed him as a free agent or at least played more hard ball with the Nuggets. From what we know that is exactly what Donnie (the GM at the time) was doing but Dolan (knicks owner) became impatient and took over negotiation. The Knicks did have leverage that time but our owner showed the world how desperate he was and it evaporated.

colinskik
04-22-2016, 10:29 AM
People like OP and other haters will harp on this until the end of time, and it all stems from results. If the Knicks were playing 54 win ball like they did that one year, this wouldn't be a topic of discussion.

The truth of the matter is almost everything that could go wrong did. Starting with the trade request overlapping with the impending strike and the implications therein, to the TERRIBLE situation with Billups contract and then amnestying him, to the constant coaching and management changes, to the series of injuries the team suffered in the playoffs (Amare hand through glass, Shumpert busted knee, Melo shoulder, Baron Davis knee, Tyson flu), and then the deterioration of Amare in general.

There have been times when Melo's ISO style has been frustrating, but he's still not to blame entirely for the Knicks situation throughout his tenure here. Truth is that he's MUCH better suited as a star second option.

thapastime7
04-22-2016, 12:42 PM
People like OP and other haters will harp on this until the end of time, and it all stems from results. If the Knicks were playing 54 win ball like they did that one year, this wouldn't be a topic of discussion.

The truth of the matter is almost everything that could go wrong did. Starting with the trade request overlapping with the impending strike and the implications therein, to the TERRIBLE situation with Billups contract and then amnestying him, to the constant coaching and management changes, to the series of injuries the team suffered in the playoffs (Amare hand through glass, Shumpert busted knee, Melo shoulder, Baron Davis knee, Tyson flu), and then the deterioration of Amare in general.

There have been times when Melo's ISO style has been frustrating, but he's still not to blame entirely for the Knicks situation throughout his tenure here. Truth is that he's MUCH better suited as a star second option.

AMEN to your last comment people are clueless with roster management. They have frontline all set they are an allstar player away from contending let alone the three rolo KP melo will have more time on the court together. IF they got rid of Phil and his triangle crap. PIck and roll with those three players could be a great weapon.

mrblisterdundee
04-23-2016, 02:20 AM
Carmelo Anthony gets somewhat of a pass because of how dumb the Knicks' ownership is. They're basically the east's version of Sacramento. Hopefully if Kristaps Porzingis gets anywhere near as good as DeMarcus Cousins, New York will figure it out. I've also always said that no team with Anthony as the best player will ever win a championship.