PDA

View Full Version : Should playoff teams be able to forfeit?

kobe4thewinbang
04-21-2016, 07:05 PM
This is regarding the injury-ridden Grizzlies team, which will be lucky to not be swept after being crushed in the first two games against the titanic Spurs, playing without Marc Gasol and Mike Conley.

Should teams or the league itself have the option to forfeit or concede or something so that a team that is beset by injuries can surrender a playoff spot?

Surely, the Jazz or another almost #8 seed would offer more competition and generate more viewer interest than the Grizzlies against the Spurs right now. 68-94 is awful.

I know that a team must have a certain amount of players to play a game, but this is pretty bad and a token win for the Spurs to advance. I know they are talking about shortening the early rounds down from 7 games (4 needed to win) which would be nice in this case, but it doesn't feel right seeing the Grizzlies play this poorly and a team like the Jazz or whoever on the outside looking in.

gaughan333
04-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Don't teams get money for the playoff games/series they appear in?

sjbirds
04-21-2016, 07:18 PM
No because if they are home they will be losing money in attendance n concessions. If they are away the same goes for the other team.

IndyRealist
04-21-2016, 08:22 PM
I think people didn't read the entire post. The idea is that an 8th seed that loses 2 starters in March can just concede the 8th spot to the 9th place team.

Even if it's a 4 game sweep, it's a lot of essentially free money for the team. 2 sold out home games worth of tickets and concessions AND national TV broadcast money, all while not paying the labor (players) squat.

JasonJohnHorn
04-21-2016, 08:26 PM
I think it is a matter of pride.

Without Conley and Gasol, obviously the roster won't do anything. But why would you give up your spot in the playoffs?

And what would happen to the lottery pick to the team that then enters?

I think you need to just let them play out. It is a pride thing. And it is a growing experience.

TheNumber37
04-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Open seeding!
*clap* clap* *clap clap clap*
open seeding!
open seeding!

AllBall
04-21-2016, 09:22 PM
While I understand your reasoning, the answer is no.

Other players get playoff experience which is invaluable. People in the city still get to go see playoff basketball being played by an elite team. Money gets made by team. There are bonus clauses that still get awarded on playoffs appearances. Local sponsors get some national air time.

I don't want the NBA to turn into some sort of BCS championship garbage where there is a vote and crap.

You play the cards you're dealt, sometimes some years its a bad draw. Deal with it.

Chronz
04-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Nothing wrong with it but what if you have actual playoff teams that aren't healthy, just not very good trying to get out of the playoffs to keep a pick? Say this years Houston Rockets?

I think you could devise a system where the 2 sides agree to move up/down. I dont think Memphis values the playoff experience much given the lack of a true nucleus.

gaughan333
04-22-2016, 03:13 AM
I am almost positive that these franchises make a large sum of money from their playoff appearances. No owner is going to forfeit that kind of money because their team is injured and another franchise may give the viewers a better match up. This is a business and that makes no business sense, at all.

Further, I don't think that a team is going to value being the best lottery team over the money they make from the playoffs either. On that one I guess I could see more room for discussion though.

In short, my answer is no.

ewing
04-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Why would the Griz opt not to play? You never opt not to play.