PDA

View Full Version : Joe Kelly to the DL; Hernandez to PAW; Cuevas and Noe called up

RedSoxtober
04-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Joe Kelly said the right shoulder impingement that drove him from Tuesday night’s game wasn’t the same sensation as the shoulder issue that ended his season last September.

He noted the injury was something he felt somewhat during the days leading up to his start against the Rays, and definitely in the bullpen warming up.

And as for the prognosis as to where Kelly might go from here, he is only trying to come to grips about his immediate existence after the 23-pitch outing.

At the end of the day, it was clear Kelly’s main thoughts after the Red Sox’ 3-0 loss to the Rays is that whatever momentum he had from the end of 2015 has officially been derailed.weei.com

First, I wish that he'd said something prior to the game if he was uncomfortable in his warmup. Maybe you can get Wright up on short rest? At least be ready to get an RP going.

Second, with the second shoulder injury in as many months of baseball (last month of last season, first month of this season) as well as the bicep, I wonder if his body is telling him that he's literally not able to shoulder the load of a SP. There's been plenty of talk about getting him to the BP for other reasons. Maybe it's time to do it just because he can't hack anything else.

RedSoxtober
04-20-2016, 09:30 AM
Travis Shaw prefaced his remarks by admitting he didn’t know the particulars of Joe Kelly’s injury. But the Red Sox third baseman certainly is familiar with the diagnosis the team has tagged the pitcher.

Right shoulder impingement.

It’s what has put Kelly on the disabled list, it is also what prevented Shaw from playing in the Puerto Rican Winter League this past offseason.

As for how long this injury might take to recover from, he can offer some insight.

“For me personally it was probably four, five, six weeks. At least a month. Even after that, it still took a while to build back that arm strength,” Shaw said.weei.com

Station 13
04-20-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm starting to think Kelly is a bullpen guy. He is always constantly riddle with injuries.

RedSoxtober
04-20-2016, 03:24 PM
The Red Sox placed Kelly on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder impingement, recalled reliever Noe Ramirez and selected right-hander William Cuevas from Triple-A Pawtucket.

To make room for Cuevas on the 40-man roster, they designated for assignment Edwin Escobar, who was with Triple-A Pawtucket.

In addition, the team optioned utility infielder Marco Hernandez back to Triple-A.

Cuevas is a starter so it appears he will be the long reliever for the time being. Also, the team must have liked what they saw out of Heath Hembree (3 1/3 scoreless innings in relief of Kelly) as he is staying on the roster after being recalled Tuesday.

It would appear the team still needs to make another move to its roster to fill Kelly’s spot in the rotation, but that doesn’t take place until Sunday. Henry Owens seems like the logical fit.weei.com

trentman1155
04-20-2016, 05:17 PM
AS of now I'm not liking our rotation. WE can't rely on Owens or these young prospects to carry our team. I would like to explore other external options either by a cheap trade,waiver pickup or a FA of Loshe or maybe we can pull in Burlele .

Bo Sox Fan
04-20-2016, 07:28 PM
AS of now I'm not liking our rotation. WE can't rely on Owens or these young prospects to carry our team. I would like to explore other external options either by a cheap trade,waiver pickup or a FA of Loshe or maybe we can pull in Burlele .

I didn't like this rotation 2 through 5 on opening day, never mind the injury replacements.

Stephen Strasburg is a definite "need" through free agency next winter to compliment / balance our 2 lefties Price & Edro at the top. Until then expect the worst and hope for the best.

RedSoxtober
04-20-2016, 11:55 PM
There's no way that we get Strasburg. Those guys in the Bronx have at least $58M coming off the books next year (Sabathia, Teixeira, and Beltran) and possibly as much as $71M if they do nothing about Chapman. There's no way in the world we outbid them given the state of their rotation.

RedSoxtober
04-22-2016, 09:30 AM
The Red Sox are deciding between lefthanders Henry Owens and Roenis Elias as the Sunday fill-in for injured starter Joe Kelly – Brian Johnson was also considered but he made his start in Pawtucket Thursday – and while all three have big league experience, Nick Cafardo wonders whether the Red Sox need more quality than depth.Speier

RedSoxtober
04-22-2016, 03:34 PM
The Red Sox announced Friday that Roenis Elias will be joining the club, with William Cuevas returning to Triple-A Pawtucket.
Elias will presumably work out of the Sox bullpen despite the fact he has spent the first few weeks of the 2016 season as a starter for the PawSox. In two starts with Pawtucket, the lefty gave up four earned runs in 9 1/3 innings (3.86 ERA).

Elias, who came to the Red Sox with Carson Smith from Seattle in exchange for Wade Miley and Jonathan Aro, has worked almost exclusively as a starting pitcher throughout his professional career. In 51 appearances with the Mariners over the past two seasons, 49 of them have been starts.

The Red Sox had worked Elias as a reliever during the final two weeks of spring training, but weren’t satisfied with the results when he pitched on a regular basis.weei.com

RedSoxtober
04-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Joe Kelly, on the 15-day DL with a shoulder impingement, began playing catch from 90 feet.Boston Herald