PDA

View Full Version : Does the DPOY awards ranking tarnish the value of the award?

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2016, 11:14 PM
There is no doubt that Leonard and Draymond are both deserving of the top two spots, but does anybody feel like the voters are simply going off of raw stats and reputation?

Here is a list of the DPOY vote getters (http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2016.html#dpoy) in order:

1. Leonard
2. Draymond
3. Whiteside
4. DaJ
5. Milsap
6. Avery Bradley
7. Rudy Gobert
8. Tony Allen
9. Anthony Davis
10. Andre Drummond
11. LBJ
11. Jimmy Butler
13. Trevor Ariza
13. Jae Crowder
13. Al Horford
13. Kyle Lowry
13. Chris Paul

I mean... there just seems to be something wrong when Lowry gets the same ranking as CP3 and Westy doesn't even show up. And the selections of Drummond and DaJ make me feel like these guys are voting based on raw stats.

Some of these guys are deserving, if not all of them, don't get me wrong, but I look at this list and I think the voting is just all over the map, and certain guys are really under appreciated.

Anybody you think should have ranked higher? And does this ranking make it look like the voters have no clue?

FOXHOUND
04-19-2016, 11:22 PM
That list about right to me, give or take a couple of spot swaps here or there I guess. Why should Westbrook be in the top 15? He's not better defensively than Lowry or Paul and they're at the bottom. :confused:

numba1CHANGsta
04-19-2016, 11:26 PM
Only 4 players won the DPOY and championship in the same year, this award doesn't mean much at all

Scoots
04-19-2016, 11:35 PM
I think the guys who care about D are paying attention and making reasoned decisions. The guys who don't care probably just listen the the narrative about players or vote for the best defender on the local team.

The Warriors TV play by play man actually said he had to think hard about his vote because he knew he'd be talking to the Warriors he didn't vote for. I don't remember exactly but I think he voted Kawhi.

Quinnsanity
04-20-2016, 12:42 AM
1. That DPOY voting list is miserable. LBJ was a mediocre at best defender this year. Ariza has slipped considerably. Anthony Davis takes wayyyyyyy too many plays off (and missed too many games). And no KCP? No Bogut? Yea, I do feel sort of shafted by the voters.

2. Sixth Man of the Year voting was even worse. Crawford WON?!?!?!? The Clippers were 6.7 points per 100 better when he was OFF of the court (2.4 when on, 9.1 when off). He shouldn't have even received votes. The fact that he won shows just how little some of these voters know/care.

Scoots
04-20-2016, 01:32 AM
1. That DPOY voting list is miserable. LBJ was a mediocre at best defender this year. Ariza has slipped considerably. Anthony Davis takes wayyyyyyy too many plays off (and missed too many games). And no KCP? No Bogut? Yea, I do feel sort of shafted by the voters.

2. Sixth Man of the Year voting was even worse. Crawford WON?!?!?!? The Clippers were 6.7 points per 100 better when he was OFF of the court (2.4 when on, 9.1 when off). He shouldn't have even received votes. The fact that he won shows just how little some of these voters know/care.

KCP being left off the top 10 is criminal.

Stunner
04-20-2016, 01:47 AM

Yup yup

ewing
04-20-2016, 11:27 AM
i think Al Horford is extremely underrated.

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2016, 01:44 PM

+1

Love that guy. If he leaves, the Hawks are in big trouble, and whoever gets him is going to be in great shape moving forward.

I'd love to see him under Pop's tutelage.

ewing
04-20-2016, 01:53 PM
+1

Love that guy. If he leaves, the Hawks are in big trouble, and whoever gets him is going to be in great shape moving forward.

I'd love to see him under Pop's tutelage.

Yeah, he is a great combo of length, mobility, and strength that really fit nicely in today game

Chronz
04-20-2016, 01:54 PM

Moreso than Milsap?

Chronz
04-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Yeah, he is a great combo of length, mobility, and strength that really fit nicely in today game

Funny how when he first came in the prevailing thought at the time was the he was best as a PF but since Atlanta lacked a C they were forced to play both he and Smoove out of position. Turns out they've been playing their natural position all along.

ewing
04-20-2016, 01:57 PM
Moreso than Milsap?

Yes, especially on he defensive side of the ball.

ewing
04-20-2016, 02:03 PM
Funny how when he first came in the prevailing thought at the time was the he was best as a PF but since Atlanta lacked a C they were forced to play both he and Smoove out of position. Turns out they've been playing their natural position all along.

Yeah, i've seen people on here say that he really doesn't fit at C and i don't see that at all

PowerHouse
04-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Just be glad the guy who won was deserving. Even #2 was deserving as well. They couldve put James Harden in there somewhere for the rest of the top 20 list for all I care, they didnt win anything so how does it matter?

An argument like "Hey WTF? That guy should've been #13 and this guy shouldve been #12." Seems a little pointless even to an avid basketball fan like myself.