PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox MLB Draft 2016 Thread

j-bay
04-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Well its that time of year again. We are about a month and 19 days away from the draft. Many so called experts have the Sox picking an OFer. I call ********. We need to draft a pitcher. Would love to see them draft Alec Hansen or Connor Jones.

Bo Sox Fan
04-19-2016, 07:38 PM
The New England Patriots 1st round draft pick (or lack there of) is more important to me than New England's Major League Baseball team that keeps tripping over themselves year after year with false hope and mediocrity.

j-bay
05-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Ok guys a little update here. So we are 16 days away from the draft and it does not look good. A month ago when i posted this,the mock drafts were dominated by college pitching. Now the landscape has changed. It is now being dominated by prep kids, more specifically prep pitchers. And as you know we don't exactly have a good record with prep pitchers. And unless Dakota Hudson drops to us, who most mocks have at #9 or #10 it will be a prep pitcher.

Here is a list of guys

Matt Manning
Braxton Garrett
Forrest Whitley
Ian Anderson

ZHawk1123
05-24-2016, 08:11 AM
The New England Patriots 1st round draft pick (or lack there of) is more important to me than New England's Major League Baseball team that keeps tripping over themselves year after year with false hope and mediocrity.

Pretty sure they nailed the pick this past year...

jdredsox
05-24-2016, 11:10 AM

I was going to say...

AI
05-24-2016, 01:00 PM
This organization has always been held in high regard when it comes to drafting. This years team is basically all homegrown when you add in the IFA's we've also signed...

Hanley Ramirez (signed as an IFA in 2000)
Dustin Pedroia (drafted in the 2nd round of the 2004 MLB draft)
Clay Buchholz (drafted in the 1st round of the 2005 MLB draft)
Christian Vazquez (drafted in the 8th round of the 2008 MLB draft)
Junichi Tazawa (signed as an IFA in 2008)
Xander Bogaerts (signed as an IFA in 2009)
Blake Swihart (drafted in the 1st round of the 2011 MLB draft)
Jackie Bradley Jr. (drafted in the 1st round of the 2011 MLB draft)
Mookie Betts (drafted in the 5th round of the 2011 MLB draft)
Travis Shaw (drafted in the 9th round of the 2011 MLB draft)

We've used homegrown players in trades or have let them depart via FA:

Jose Iglesias
Anthony Rizzo
Jon Lester
Jed Lowrie
Josh Reddick
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jonathan Papelbon
Justin Masterson
Anibal Sanchez

Prospects/IFA's added to the system in recent years:

Yoan Moncada
Andrew Benintendi
Rafael Devers
Anderson Espinoza
Michael Kopech
Sam Travis
Brian Johnson
Henry Owens
Michael Chavis
Pat Light
Trey Ball

And the list goes on. How someone can seriously question this organization is beyond me, especially when there are currently 4 homegrown Red Sox (Xander, Mookie, Shaw and JBJ) players in the top 25 of fWAR (5 if you count Ortiz).

Bo Sox Fan
05-24-2016, 02:15 PM

I wrote that a month ago when the team was struggling out of the gate, and I wasn't at all questioning the draft picks we've picked up along the way. I was taking a shot at the organization as a whole, for always sucking and finishing with a high draft pick instead of being competitive on the field.

j-bay
06-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Hi guys got a draft update for you guys. There has been a guy who has been flying up the boards lately. A couple of mocks have us taking him. I'm pretty sure we have scouted him because it is only a 16 minute drive to go see him from Fenway. The guy i'm talking about is Boston College Pitcher Justin Dunn.

RedSoxtober
06-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Gammons doesn't think that Dunn makes it past the Ms at #11.

RHP Ian Anderson is the best high school pitcher in the country, a Mike Mussina clone, and if he gets past the Braves at the third pick, there’s a chance he could slide to Boston at 12, which would suit him fine, since he is a Red Sox fan. Boston College fireballer Justin Dunn seems headed in the 11 to 15 are (Seatttle, at 11, reportedly loves him), which would give B.C. a first round pick two years in a row, since the Giants took first baseman Chris Shaw with a first pick and he is hitting .314 with a .985 OPS in the California League.

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-07-2016, 07:49 AM
The guys that I'm most interested in are:
1: Braxton Garrett
2: Ian Anderson
3: Matt Manning
4: Forrest Whitley

Manning is the highest slot demand with the highest velocity fast ball. Garrett has one of the better releases with a smooth delivery and the best curveball of any of the HS Starters. He hits mid to high nineties as well. As with all high school pitchers, nothing is a given. The names I want to avoid are Collins and of Miami and Hudson from Miss State. While Hudson is likely the second best college arm in the draft, there are concerns about his command. It's hit and miss. He reads Chris Stratton to me, who did make it to SF as a reliever, but that's his high outcome. Obviously if someone like Groome falls to 12, I would be elated, or Corey Ray, but that seems unfathomable. I want Ryan Boldt in round 3, he could last there with concerns over power and a really bad season at Nebraska. That being said, speed, and contact!

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-07-2016, 07:52 AM
Gammons doesn't think that Dunn makes it past the Ms at #11.

Dunn is a lot like Tyler Jay last year who ended up with Minnesota. In High A, he had a fabulous May, posting a .84 ERA. So there is plenty of upside in reliever turned starters with a good bite on his FB with continuous improving velocity. I am cautious on him, but I wouldn't hate the pick. I was all wrong on the 2015 MLB 1st rounder Andrew Benintendi, so my judgement in analyzing the draft is a touch off. I wanted Carson Fullmer over him.

j-bay
06-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Draft update. A lot of people are predicting with their mocks Boston will go prep OFer. We do not need another OFer. We need pitching!

BoSox47
06-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Draft update. A lot of people are predicting with their mocks Boston will go prep OFer. We do not need another OFer. We need pitching!

Always take best player available. Most of these guys are 3-5 years away from even coming close to sniffing the mlb. No need to draft by need, there is no telling what this team will look like by the time these players reach the mlb level.

View these players as an asset not a position. They can always get traded for other needs once their value comes to fruition.

Especially in the MLB, NEVER draft by need.

RedSoxtober
06-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Current projections by the spec heads.

Baseball America: Taylor Trammell, OF, Mt Paran Christian HS
ESPN (Keith Law): Zack Collins, C, Miami
MLB.com (Jim Callis): Ian Anderson, RHP, Shenendehowa HS
MLB.com (Jonathan Mayo): Matt Thaiss, C, Virginia
CBS Sports: Braxton Garrett, LHP, Florence HS
Sports Illustrated: Braxton Garrett, LHP, Florence HS
Sporting News: Zack Collins, C, Miamiweei.com

j-bay
06-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks for bringing this up RStober. Been following reports saying who the Sox have been interested in. 3 of them are on the list.

Garrett-Reports are the Sox like his curve. I would love to get him. Might be hard to get as most mocks have him going to Miami at 7.
Collins-If there is a something we need besides pitching its a catching. Both Swihart and Vazquez have had there issues.
Thaiss-Would be a reach here, but if Garrett and Collins are gone, he might be looked at.

another guy who the Sox like is Alex Kirilloff.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 05:31 PM
Groome might drop due to his contract demands....

j-bay
06-09-2016, 05:34 PM
RED SOX: Jason Groome, lhp. The most-talked about prospect in the draft doesn’t fall that far.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-5-2-moniak-remains-top/#Q2lL8YVK9F160tB5.97

j-bay
06-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Top 4 is interesting. Just found out. We might get someone good...

j-bay
06-09-2016, 07:34 PM
If Puk goes to Miami.... It could open things up for us.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Dang it BB!

j-bay
06-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Bah. Dang it...

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Yes! Thank you Padres

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Wow....

redsoxpride34
06-09-2016, 08:04 PM
really hoping jason groome falls to us. would also be really happy with lewis.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:05 PM
If Lewis or Groome drops...

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Collins to the White Sox

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Lewis to the Ms

redsoxpride34
06-09-2016, 08:10 PM
we can definitely get one of them now, could even see both fall to us. i think groome would have to be the pick if he’s there, given the need for pitching. lewis though could give you the ability to deal someone like jbj or benintendi in a trade for a #2 starter.

redsoxpride34
06-09-2016, 08:14 PM
has to be groome now, if the sox pass I will be shocked.

celticsman2009
06-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Groome or Dunn I'm guessing.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Yes!!!! **** Yes!!!

celticsman2009
06-09-2016, 08:21 PM
I Groome the real deal? Don't know anything about him. Why'd he drop?

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Groome grew up a Sox fan.

Bo Sox Fan
06-09-2016, 08:26 PM
This could make Espinoza expendable for a big name ace. We don't need pitching 5 years from now, we need pitching NOW... !

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Sounds like there's a good chance Groomee won't sign.

redsoxpride34
06-09-2016, 08:28 PM
hell ya! so stoked.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:36 PM

You sure...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Soxlunch/status/741064972277559296

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Try and get Groome down to 3.5-3.7.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:50 PM
@RyanHannable

The Groome selection impacts Sox' next few picks. Will need some players to sign under slot to free up money for Groome. Expect college guys

j-bay
06-09-2016, 08:59 PM
mobile.twitter.com/ACPressDeRosier/status/741064278992687104

mobile.twitter.com/ACPressDeRosier/status/741065527016194048/video/1

It might be a tough decision for him

celticsman2009
06-09-2016, 10:06 PM
The video of him and his family freaking out was awesome. Everyone kept saying I cant believe he got his favorite team.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 10:33 PM
Watching the full video he was crying tears of joy. I know he wants 5, but it might be tough for him to not sign a deal. Any other team it wouldn't.

Bo Sox Fan
06-09-2016, 10:33 PM

Boy the stars sure aligned to get this kid. Every indication is that the Red Sox organization is the only one he would sign with, now we just gotta put ink to paper.

This farm system is absolutely filthy with riches if it wasn't before.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Report on CJ Chatham per MLB.com

There is a group of college middle infielders, all more or less in the same area on Draft boards. Most look destined for a move to the right side of second base. Chatham, enjoying a stellar year at Florida Atlantic, is one who should be able to stay at shortstop.

At the plate, Chatham has a limited profile. He makes consistent contact and has a solid approach, but doesn't have more than occasional doubles power. He's an average runner who isn't a basestealing threat, but moves well enough to have solid range at the premium position, even with his 6-foot-4 frame. He has enough arm to stay at short long-term as well.

Chatham reminds some of a Ryan Jackson type shortstop. A team that believes enough in the bat to think the FAU standout can be an everyday shortstop will take him in the top three rounds. A lack of college position players who have performed well this spring will undoubtedly help Chatham's stock.

j-bay
06-09-2016, 11:38 PM
“I’m going to get together with my adviser and that’s what we’re going to discuss,” Groome said. “Money doesn’t matter to me. I’m just excited for the next chapter in my life and I can’t wait to get started. I have a chance to play for my favorite team. I can’t ask for anything more than that.”

http://shoresportsnetwork.com/baseball-red-sox-take-jason-groome-no-12-overall-in-mlb-draft/?trackback=tsmclip

Good sign

RedSoxtober
06-10-2016, 10:14 AM
I Groome the real deal? Don't know anything about him. Why'd he drop?

Yes, he's the real deal. At 17 he is 6'6", 220lbs with a FB that works into high 90s and a curve considered the best in the draft. Change is just okay; he'll need a third decent pitch. Smooth delivery but needs more finish on his pitches. But again, he's 17 so that should come in time.

He dropped for two reasons: money and maturity. The money side is fairly easy to explain. He was at one time projected to go #1 overall and has reportedly been seeking $5M+ (just over half the #1 overall pick's slot value). Once he got beyond the #4 pick, teams would have to sign other players under slot value and channel the money into his bonus (a choice the Sox face with just under $7M draft pool money and roughly $3.2M slotted for the #12 pick).

The maturity thing is harder to explain. There are several references to it but none directly cites an incident that you could evaluate. The closest thing that I've seen was him leaving IMG after pitching in their program for a year because he was homesick. That's a different kind of maturity issue than Kopech going all Nuke Laloosh.

This could make Espinoza expendable for a big name ace. We don't need pitching 5 years from now, we need pitching NOW... !

I think that the Sox need both. While Espinoza has been a big headline and scouts rave, Gammons has also pointed out the work of Rionel Raudes who is moving up the ladder with Espinoza. His numbers would have had folks buzzing were Espinoza not so much a potential generational talent... and he's made a better transition into A-ball than Espinoza. I might dangle him with the stat line and hope to keep Espinoza. Kopech is a guy that I'd like to keep but his value is meaningless until he puts some distance between himself and his stupidity... which could be never. Justin Haley has been turning heads since he went to the AFL last year and his performance at Portland so far has put him on the radar (5-3, 2.22ERA, 56.2IP/45H/55K/18BB/1HR). Similar story for Aaron Wilkerson who recently turned a fantastic run at POR into a promotion (with 48K/41.1IP, his recent BP outing might hint at an MLB role in the near term?).

All that to say that there are some high profile and some emerging names that could mix-and-match around dealing the top player(s) in the system. I AM pretty strongly against dealing Espinoza but if you're dealing him for several years of control over a current 1-2 type pitcher then I might see it.

Either way, we'd need to wait until 7/15 to see if Groome signs... and then spend 2 weeks finding the right deal.

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-10-2016, 11:30 AM

This argument is pointless. You can never have enough elite pitching. It makes up for the Ball fiasco.

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-10-2016, 11:32 AM

He'll sign...the Sox will have to punt a few picks from 3-10, but it will happen. There just won't be a ton of shining moments later on. The Sox just pinned their entire draft to him.

j-bay
06-10-2016, 01:13 PM
He'll sign...the Sox will have to punt a few picks from 3-10, but it will happen. There just won't be a ton of shining moments later on. The Sox just pinned their entire draft to him.

At this point signing Groome this year might be a good idea for multiple reasons.

1. With Ortiz gone, DD might sign a replacment. Which could mean the loss of next years first
2.We might not get as good as a player as Groome, and with Groome being compared to Kershaw that is a high possibility
3.We got enough talent on the Majors where no one, except maybe AB is coming up.

RedSoxtober
06-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Fourth round pick looks like a loss leader for Groome:

Dalbec, Bobby
Arizona
3B
R/R
JR
Watch Video
6'4" 225lbs DOB: 06/29/95
It's long been known that Dalbec was a bit of an all-or-nothing hitter, one with as much raw power as anyone in the Draft class, but one with a tremendous amount of swing and miss to his game. After a summer that saw him hit 14 homers, the hope was he would tap into the power more often than not, but that hasn't been the case during his junior year at Arizona. Dalbec's power from the right side is legit and he can hit the ball out of any park. He has been lost at the plate for much of the season, not making enough contact or working into hitter's counts enough to tap into that power. Defensively, his below-average speed could push him to first base eventually, though his arm is a plus from the hot corner. It's that arm, the one that fires 92-93 mph fastballs as the Wildcats' closer, that had some teams contemplating Dalbec as a pitcher as his offensive woes mounted. The raw power, however, might be too much for a team to pass up on, knowing they could always put him in a bullpen down the road if he can't make enough contact.

RedSoxtober
06-10-2016, 02:46 PM
By midsummer, Vanderbilt was no longer interested in having Groome attend, according to a source familiar with the situation. It wasn’t because of his talent, but a bigger issue.

Three days before the draft, Groome announced he was no longer planning on attending Vanderbilt and instead pledged his commitment to Chipola College, a junior college in Florida.

Questions about Groome’s makeup have not gone away. He’s reputed in the industry as someone who likes to have fun, perhaps too much fun at times.

While other MLB organizations and coaches at Vanderbilt had their concerns about Groome, Chipola coach Jeff Johnson did not.

“I don’t think so,” Johnson said. “I don’t think there’s anything to be concerned about. I think he’s a good kid. We all sometimes look back and wish we had done things a little different, certain situations we wish we could take back, but that’s just part of being a kid.”Boston Herald

j-bay
06-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Kind of nervous that they are taking juniors.

RedSoxtober
06-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Not too worried myself. Take a look back through the last few drafts and it won't take long to see how much of a crapshoot the draft can be. Hell, six of the top 8 2013 picks are out of the organization for one reason or another (granted, Littrell has done well) and the remainders are #1 Ball and #1A Stankiewicz; only #9 Kyle Martin looks like he could have any kind of impact. If you shuffle money from not signing #3 & 4, you might get a kid who was considered the top overall pick. That's not a bad thing IMO.

j-bay
06-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Seems like based on the first 10 picks that the Sox believe they can sign Groome.

j-bay
06-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Keith Law kind of reveals stuff about Groome

Banksy_: Whats the new story on Groome, what got him to 12? Is there a good chance he balks at their offer and he goes to Chippola?
Klaw: I’m sure he’ll say that and will ultimately sign. Slot there is $3.2 million. He’d be an all-time idiot to turn that down – the left-handed Matt Harrington, if you will. (Was Matt Harrington right-handed? I don’t even know. Not like I ever saw him pitch.)

Jeff: Hi Keith. What are the makeup concerns about Groome? Is it serious stuff or 17-yr. old immaturity stuff?
Klaw: To me it’s immaturity and idiocy. No violence, no felonies, not a sociopath. I am more concerned about Delvin Perez’s makeup than Groome’s.

JeffT: How much should a team take into account “make-up” when dealing with a 17 yo? I mean who is the person (for better or worse) at 23 than 17?
Klaw: It matters more than you think. You’re handing the kid six or seven figures, then asking him to go be a professional, with all the responsibilities of conditioning, work ethic, discipline, and behavior that many people don’t encounter until they’re 19 or 21 or 23.

mike: can you explain the reason what the catch-all term “character concerns” is so often used (e.g. Groome) and what those concerns are are not actually reported by anyone? Is it respect for kid’s privacy or something else
Klaw: Because lawyers. I know what’s up with Groome – I did some background work of my own to check on some of the rumors (nearly all of which turned out to be false … for example, he was not kicked out of IMG). But I can’t say exactly what I know because ESPN has editorial standards for reporting and I abide by those

http://meadowparty.com/blog/

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-14-2016, 10:14 AM
It looks like Chatham will sign for less than slot, giving most of that to Groome. You're saving $$ on McLean, Scott, Espinal, and likely Marrero. You may have enough to sign Quintana.

RedSoxtober
06-14-2016, 11:03 PM
According to a source, the Red Sox will sign second-round pick shortstop CJ Chatham to a $1.1 million deal pending a physical, which is just under the slotted value of $1,232,800 for the No. 51 overall pick.

Baseball America’s John Manuel was first to report the figure.

With Florida Atlantic this past year, the right-handed hitter led the team with a .357 average, .554 slugging percentage and a .422 on-base percentage. He finished the year with eight home runs and 50 RBIs.

Some thought Chatham would sign for less money to free up more money for first-round pick Jason Groome, but that appears not to be the case.weei.com

RedSoxtober
06-14-2016, 11:42 PM
Capsules on all the draft picks at the Boston Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2016/06/14/meet-players-red-sox-drafted/QEskk4RveQcrGjjJTEitnI/story.html?s_campaign=108stitches:newsletter).